PDA

View Full Version : Tire Question

Lublisha
03-15-2016, 07:28 PM
Anyone here ever ran these BFG's? I'm between these and the Continental DWS 06 (need something affordable and quick). I know the DWS are well enough liked around the forum, but the reviews on the BFG's on multiple sites have been very good. If there isn't a convincing objection to this, I might just get them and share the result (before I inevitably go back to PSS once all the required maintenance and desired mods are completed).
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+COMP-2+A%2FS&frontTire=24WR8GFC2ASXL&rearTire=535WR8GFC2ASXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=BMW&autoYear=2005&autoModel=330i%20Sedan&autoModClar=Performance%20Package

KevinC
03-15-2016, 10:01 PM
If PSS is your preferred tire, why go with DWS? The DW would be the more comparable tire to the PSS. I run DW's on my ZHP and absolutely love them. Had PSS's before, got lousy wear in the rear so decided to try the DW's, and haven't been disappointed. Cheaper, still plenty of grip, not quite as harsh, and 2 lbs lighter. Lots to like.

The last time I ran BFGs was on my '77 Datsun pickup.. some big meaty Radial T/A's. Damn I'm showing my age!

Lublisha
03-15-2016, 10:48 PM
If PSS is your preferred tire, why go with DWS? The DW would be the more comparable tire to the PSS. I run DW's on my ZHP and absolutely love them. Had PSS's before, got lousy wear in the rear so decided to try the DW's, and haven't been disappointed. Cheaper, still plenty of grip, not quite as harsh, and 2 lbs lighter. Lots to like.

The last time I ran BFGs was on my '77 Datsun pickup.. some big meaty Radial T/A's. Damn I'm showing my age!

The PSS I have on my 335d have been overall excellent in the rain. I would swap them if I didn't need functioning tires on it when trying to sell it. I'm not personally familiar with other summer tires in the rain, and since this is the Northwest, another 3 and a half months of rain wouldn't be surprising, I was opting for some all seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
03-15-2016, 11:48 PM

+1

My father's E39 540i and mother's Volvo S40 T5 AWD both have Continental ExtremeContact DW tires that they use year round. They have great dry/warm weather performance. They do lose a little grip when it drops below 40F but it's not terrible and they have great wet weather performance, IMO. I just put on a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW tires and have been very happy with them in this recent deluge.

Cheap tires as well.

oclvframe
03-16-2016, 01:09 AM
My 'vert has BFG's (G-force) that were on it when I bought it. When the rears wore out I simply replaced them and left the fronts alone since they seemed to still have plenty of tread. I bought the newer G-force Comp 2 for the rear. Although they have plenty of grip the rears have not lasted hardly at all....they are almost down to the wear markers and it seems its been 15Kmi since I put them on. The car is my wife's daily driver and it only sees regular around town driving. I am anxiously awaiting for them to be completely worn so that I can go to a square setup. I particularly do not like them up front....there are certain road conditions that the tires will just follow something in the road and create a ridiculous amount of pull in one direction or another. I've never felt tires pull so hard like that! Bottom line is, since the two style 135 18x8.5 wheels I just picked up already have Conti DWs, I will be trying those next.

FWIW, I am running Michelin A/S 3s on my e61 and absolutely love them.

-r

Lublisha
03-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Good information all. That ruled out the BFG's for me. Went to my discount tire today to try and order some DW's and was told they were "discontinued"(unsure if that's actually true). While that was disappointing, I have a set of DWS 06's on the way. Worth noting for anyone who needs tires has time to run down there today, they'll price match the $100 off discount from the ebay store(ends today), and the actually in store prices are slightly cheaper.

fredo
03-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Back in Oct, I went to DT to order 2 Conti DW rear tires, stock size. The employee told me they were discontinued and we looked at other options. Finally, I said let me think about it and left.

Fast forward 2 weeks later, I went to the same DT and other employee was able to order the same tires for me. :dunno

Lublisha
03-16-2016, 02:46 PM
Back in Oct, I went to DT to order 2 Conti DW rear tires, stock size. The employee told me they were discontinued and we looked at other options. Finally, I said let me think about it and left.

Fast forward 2 weeks later, I went to the same DT and other employee was able to order the same tires for me. :dunno

That is strange. They called their conti rep and asked about them and he said the same thing. I'll call again tonight to verify, as those would save me almost another 100 in comparison

BMWCurves
03-16-2016, 03:02 PM
I bought Continental DW tires from Discount Tire Direct just a month ago, no issue.

Lublisha
03-16-2016, 03:46 PM
I bought Continental DW tires from Discount Tire Direct just a month ago, no issue.

Which location? Maybe I can move around my tire deposit :)

Lublisha
03-16-2016, 03:48 PM
Ah direct. Just caught that

KevinC
03-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Weird. DW's are still shown as current on Conti's site, and Tire Rack as well (and in stock in our stock sizes). Damn good tire IMHO. If it is on its way out, I suspect an update is coming, not outright discontinuation.

Karl Lazlo
03-16-2016, 04:08 PM
Ordered my Connie DW on Sunday. Picked it up at Tirerack's distro center on Monday.

Vas
03-16-2016, 04:17 PM
Be interesting if they replace them

Lublisha
03-16-2016, 04:59 PM
Speaking further with dt on the phone, now they have the rears available through direct, but not the fronts. They're gonna call Conti hq tomorrow to see if they can get a set in. I would have went the tire rack route but I wanted to catch this promo

oclvframe
03-17-2016, 03:23 AM
Hmmm...being as how I plan to go square with "rears" on my zhp, and, the second set of 8.5" style 135s I bought have reasonably new DWs on them, I guess I need to go ahead and buy another pair and hang on to them until I am ready to go back to the 135s. Dang...

-r

ryankokesh
03-17-2016, 06:56 AM
I really wouldn't be surprised if an update to the DW follows the update to the DWS from last year. Dunno, though.

I do have a hunch that Firestone's new Firehawk Indy 500 might go over pretty well. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500&frontTire=24WR8FHI5XL&rearTire=535WR8FHI5XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=BMW&autoYear=2005&autoModel=330i%20Sedan&autoModClar=Performance%20Package

Lublisha
03-18-2016, 10:36 AM
Well it took quite a few phone calls, but they have gone from discontinued to back order to in stock. Great Success.

BMWCurves
03-18-2016, 11:02 AM
Well it took quite a few phone calls, but they have gone from discontinued to back order to in stock. Great Success.

Nice, so you're going with the Conti DW?

Lublisha
03-18-2016, 11:09 AM
Nice, so you're going with the Conti DW?

Yessir. You guys sold me on em

BMWCurves
03-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Excellent. They've worked great for me here in Portland so hopefully they do the same. Love them in the summer.