PDA

View Full Version : Turn signals staying on

Dual
03-26-2016, 12:52 PM
Feature or bug? When I walk away from my just-parked car, particularly at night, I see bulbs on the 'turn-signal' side of the car lit up steady. (In actual fact I mostly notice this when I return to the car later.) My previous (1993) car didn't do this, and I don't want it to happen. Is this a feature or a bug? Can I disable it?
Or is something broken?

Karl Lazlo
03-26-2016, 01:20 PM
Feature. If you park and shut off the car, leaving the turn signal in an indicating position, it will turn on the marker lights on that side. Good for narrow European secondary streets and when your kid is trick or treating in a dark subdivision and you park the car in prep for rain.

Yes, you can disable it. Reset your turn signal.

Dual
03-26-2016, 01:23 PM
Thanks!
Yes, you can disable it. Reset your turn signal. Heheh, but I'm in US, and there is NO CHIME to remind me that I've failed to comply with this feature. So in all seriousness: is this something that a master of hacking into our cars' systems could change the settings for? I'm kind of building a list.

ELCID86
03-26-2016, 03:02 PM
Just leave your blinker in the off position. Comes in handy sometimes. Though every time I've used it at a party , etc someone comes in and reports a car with the lights on...

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

warrenbrown
03-27-2016, 12:19 PM
Feature, my 71 2002 and 73 tii had it both USA models by Max Hoffman. The both E30's, E34 and both E36's don't have it or it isn't activated (one E30 could have been a euro delivery (US spec car), it lived in Germany and Hawaii before Va and NJ). The E39 has it (activates special LEDs for that purpose (US delivery car). The ZHP has it, originally an euro delivery US spec car. The E46 touring has it (US delivery). I pretty certain the feature can be programmed with PA Soft or one of the BMW diagnostic programs.

Warren

spoonerDee
03-29-2016, 07:58 AM
Yes my car has it too, standard on E46's forgot aboot it the first time i did it, freaked out then suddenly remembered it. Moved the signal stalk back to neutral and it went off. No need to waste time and money to program it. Just put the stalk back.to neutral.