PDA

View Full Version : NCS Expert / PA Soft

burns
03-26-2016, 06:25 PM
So I bought in INPA dcan cable over Amazon thinking I could use it on PA Soft. Wrong. After a 7/8 pin mod, everything in the Demo version of the PA soft would work but full version was waiting for the BMW adaptor to connect (I don't have it). So I gave up and went the INPA , EDIBIAS , NCS Expert route.

Maybe I can edit a driver information file to get PA soft into thinking the BMW Adaptor is there by changing the name ... Not sure.

Now is there anything that PA soft can do that I can't do with NCS Expert? Even though PA soft is easy to use , I have no problem using NCS expert.

derbo
03-26-2016, 07:50 PM
Nope. PA Soft is completely different from the BMW KCAN/DCAN cable. I have both adapters because the FTDI drivers don't play nice with one another.

burns
03-27-2016, 05:59 AM
Second part of the question is: is there anything I can't do with NCS expert that I can do with PA soft?

burns
03-27-2016, 06:03 AM
My main goal was to recode the instrument cluster temperature gauge. I saw the hex dump in the screenshot of PA soft on what lines to edit. Would I need to read the cluster Ecu in NCS and find the same lines of code in nettodat? They I don't think they show in fsw_psw

WOLFN8TR
03-27-2016, 08:50 AM
My main goal was to recode the instrument cluster temperature gauge. I saw the hex dump in the screenshot of PA soft on what lines to edit. Would I need to read the cluster Ecu in NCS and find the same lines of code in nettodat? They I don't think they show in fsw_psw

Calling BP!

burns
03-27-2016, 08:53 AM
Currently in the middle of the struggle of getting GT1 v39 working on my MacBook Pro via parallels via VMware . Some serious forum surfing this weekend. So far at the roadblock of copying shadow fdd to the SCO files...more troubleshooting to come.

But the question about the cluster is still on my mind.

CarbonZHP
03-28-2016, 07:16 AM
NCS is much more in depth than PA. You can change every little detail, but you can also seriously screw up your modules. Im looking for progman at the moment to full flash a new VO after manual swap

burns
03-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Question still is : can I edit the same line of code as stated in one PA soft DIY article in NCS Expert?

CarbonZHP
03-28-2016, 11:05 AM
I have to use both pretty often

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

derbo
03-28-2016, 07:25 PM
Question still is : can I edit the same line of code as stated in one PA soft DIY article in NCS Expert?

No. Coolant Temperature and Speedometer Calibration correction are not available via NCSexpert.

Also, you should look into ISTA/D and ISTA/P instead of GT1. It's a hell lot of easier to install and will be capability for newer BMWs as well.

MHHAuto is one place that you can look.

burns
03-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Didn't even know about ISTA , thanks for the heads up!

derbo
04-03-2016, 06:43 AM
Didn't even know about ISTA , thanks for the heads up!

No problem. It's a hell of a lot easier to install as well.

Rheingold is the other name of ISTA/D

burns
04-03-2016, 06:57 AM
Joined mhhauto and got ISTAd and P working. 12$ but it's worth it. If any of you guys need the software I can point you to the right place

burns
04-03-2016, 07:03 AM
Also , I think I can get to the coolant temp setting from NCS. I need to connect to the module , get the nettodat and 'decompile' in ncs dummy , find the line of hex code , change it , and then upload . Does that sound like something that could work ?

nextelbuddy
11-06-2016, 07:23 PM
Joined mhhauto and got ISTAd and P working. 12$ but it's worth it. If any of you guys need the software I can point you to the right place

would love to be pointed in the right direction for this. I hav ean NCS export OBD2 cable on order with the software but the thought of an alternative is nice.

CarbonZHP
11-07-2016, 12:02 PM
ISTA? Havent heard of it. How does it compare to INPA in capability