PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, asking a dumb question about lights.

Icebergap
03-31-2016, 03:18 AM
Hey guys, I need some help here. I'm new to ZHPs and (althought they are old now) newer bmw's. I've always owned e36s. Anyways, can someone explain to me like I'm 5 years old about my headlights please.

My issue is this, the lenses are so dirty they are un-cleanable and I can barely see any light. I want to know what my options are here, I don't want to buy cheap lights to put in. It's a 2005 ZHP. The light output seems ok other than the dirty lenses, I keep reading about "burnt bowls" which I am not familiar with, also the car needing to be coded if you go from xenon to halogen or vice versa. Can someone provide me some input? Thanks!

az3579
03-31-2016, 03:29 AM
Do you have a coupe/convertible or a sedan?

All assuming you have Xenons:
If a sedan, your problem is most likely burnt bowls, as in the ZKW projector bowl plastic is burnt and doesn't reflect light well enough.

If a coupe/convertible, you do not have the burnt bowl issue as they used different projectors. If it's just a lens issue on coupes/convertibles, then you're better off finding another set of headlights. The lenses are not replaceable; nobody sells replacements for them, so your only option really is to get another set of headlights.

If your light output really sucks, you probably have a sedan with burnt ZKW projectors. The lenses rarely ever get so bad (especially at this relatively "young" age) that they hinder light output.

ELCID86
03-31-2016, 03:39 AM
May just need new lenses. Easy to swap if you have a sedan.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

Icebergap
03-31-2016, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the response! Yea I have a sedan, how can I tell if my bowls are burnt? I will check that. But I can tell by looking that the lenses are awful. I can barely see through them. They make lenses only for these lights?

Sockethead
03-31-2016, 05:48 AM
Yes you can get new lens and they are relatively inexpensive from third party vendors. Also they are pretty easy to replace.

san
03-31-2016, 05:57 AM
http://www.khoalty.com/headlight-lens-replacement.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icebergap
03-31-2016, 06:34 AM
Awesome! Thank you for the link I love the price! Should I do rings while I'm in there? Is that possible?

cakM3
03-31-2016, 06:40 AM
Should I do rings while I'm in there? Is that possible?

That is completely up to you. How comfortable you are doing the work and your wiring skills... there are many options for angel eyes but in my opinion you get what you pay for. I love angel eyes and went with the ORION V4s for both of my cars. They are clean and bright which I love and "look wicked" when you're coming up on another car. Well worth the money for them in my opinion.

FL116
03-31-2016, 09:02 AM
Awesome! Thank you for the link I love the price! Should I do rings while I'm in there? Is that possible?

I got both my lenses and Angel Eyes from Khoalty. I have no complaints as both products are very nice and good quality. I say stick to Khoalty for the lenses and angel eyes

Icebergap
03-31-2016, 10:04 AM
Awesome, thanks for all the input guys. The angel eyes can be installed on the factory lights right?

Sockethead
03-31-2016, 10:10 AM
yes but there is an additional wiring harness that goes with them. Not that hard to do and they come with instructions

Icebergap
03-31-2016, 10:20 AM
Sweet, that's the route I believe I will take then. The only thing I would like to do is check this "bowl burnt" thing. With the lenses off, what am I looking for to see a burnt bowl?

az3579
03-31-2016, 10:50 AM
Sweet, that's the route I believe I will take then. The only thing I would like to do is check this "bowl burnt" thing. With the lenses off, what am I looking for to see a burnt bowl?

Take the rear covers off as though you were going to replace the bulb. You only need to check the Xenon projector; the inside bowls need not be checked.
You are looking for brownish discoloration on the projector housing.

It will look like this:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10073&d=1376979816

cakM3
03-31-2016, 10:50 AM
Awesome, thanks for all the input guys. The angel eyes can be installed on the factory lights right?

Look at post #253 in the link below to see how the burnt ZKW projector bowls look like. If you see them like how they are in the pictures at post #253 then you have burnt projector bowls and they need replaced.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3598-The-ZKW-Burnt-Bowls-Thread&p=195089#post195089 (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3598-The-ZKW-Burnt-Bowls-Thread&p=195089#post195089)

Icebergap
03-31-2016, 02:06 PM
Awesome, I know exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you guys so much for the help!

danewilson77
04-01-2016, 06:41 PM
No such thing as a dumb question on this forum.

Sent from an S6 Edge

spoonerDee
04-02-2016, 04:09 AM
One quick tip ill give to those who are on a budget or just waiting for new lenses to arrive. Clean the lenses well, then grab some tire shine, the stuff you spray on your tires to make them look nice, spray some on a paper towel and wipe them on the lenses. It won't make them look new, but it cleans them up and makes them a little clearer so more light can get out. Not perfect, but every little bit helps.

Also the lenses can be refinished with sanding and polishing.