PDA

View Full Version : Bought one 'cause my friend did...

zhpnsnv
11-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Cool site!

So I've been a BMW freak my whole life thanks to family purchase decisions as a child. As such, I was very well aware of the ZHP when it came out and wanted one "some day." Puttering along one day in my E46 323i, my buddy calls me and asks if he should pick up a 330ci. I said, "Describe it." Then he goes on to describe everything that makes a ZHP a ZHP. I asked the price and then implored him to buy it. Mind you, this dude knew next to nothing about BMWs, their option codes, or anything like it.

Fast forward a few months. The car is his and I've flogged it a few times when I realize I need one, too. Fast forward a few months from there for searching, and last August I picked up this bad boy:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/mbcoops/IMG_0192.jpg

With this interior:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/mbcoops/IMG_0201.jpg

Color, # of doors, and interior were musts in my search. I've been daily-driving it for over a year now. I'll just say what everyone says: the car is incredible.

Alphatek45
11-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Welcome aboard! Very nice car.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Very nice, OP. Glad to have you as a member of ZHP Mafia.

danewilson77
11-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Great havin you here. Love the color. When are you going to make it your own?

gr330zhp
11-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Welcome :)

zhpnsnv
11-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks! Make it my own? It's mine:cool:.

Well, actually, I won't consider it _mine_ until I flog it on the track a few times. But that won't happen until payments are finished.

Aesthetically, I think maybe some gloss black kidney grills, then maybe some yeller fogs. I go back and forth on it so many times that I just end up never making a decision.

mimalmo
11-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Welcome. I love that steering wheel.

zhpnsnv
11-10-2010, 02:20 PM
The wheel was definitely a bonus! Apparently the PO had a good relationship with the dealership.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I have that wheel on my 335. Great wheel.

danewilson77
11-10-2010, 03:52 PM
+1 on the steering wheel. I meant..when are the mods comin?

zhpnsnv
11-11-2010, 04:16 AM
I don't know. My Cooper S is modded to the point where I barely enjoy driving it on the street anymore. On the track, it's a revelation, but I tend to have a hard time finding a nice comfy middle ground. Sure I'd like the stance to be better, but I want to sacrifice NOTHING in terms of the ride. Sure I'd like some more punch here and there, but I want to sacrifice NOTHING for driveability, longevity, etc... Sure I think some visual cues can really improve it, but I really like the way the car looks stock, too.

First thing's first: get this car through its major maintenance from now (60k) to 100k. I'm already well on my way, going above and beyond with preventative stuff.

Alphatek45
11-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Well put. I think you may have originally uploaded a pic of the Cooper. When I saw it, then the interior of the ZHP it freaked me out lol. I refreshed the page, the Cooper was gone.
Thought I was going crazy!

Marcus-SanDiego
11-11-2010, 07:11 AM
I don't know. My Cooper S is modded to the point where I barely enjoy driving it on the street anymore. On the track, it's a revelation, but I tend to have a hard time finding a nice comfy middle ground. Sure I'd like the stance to be better, but I want to sacrifice NOTHING in terms of the ride. Sure I'd like some more punch here and there, but I want to sacrifice NOTHING for driveability, longevity, etc... Sure I think some visual cues can really improve it, but I really like the way the car looks stock, too.

First thing's first: get this car through its major maintenance from now (60k) to 100k. I'm already well on my way, going above and beyond with preventative stuff.

This is exactly what I've been saying.

My 335, while a straight-line rocket, is high maintenance on the streets. It's low (have to watch for everything). Its suspension is tight (feel lots of bumps). The wheels were expensive (can't dare get near a pothole).

My wife likes the ZHP because she doesn't have to worry about all of that. Additionally, the ZHP is a cruiser. All-around greatness.

zhpnsnv
11-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Well put. I think you may have originally uploaded a pic of the Cooper. When I saw it, then the interior of the ZHP it freaked me out lol. I refreshed the page, the Cooper was gone.
Thought I was going crazy!

haha yes, that was my mistake. I saw that and was like aaaaahhhhhhhh wrong pic! hahahaha.

My 335, while a straight-line rocket, is high maintenance on the streets. It's low (have to watch for everything). Its suspension is tight (feel lots of bumps). The wheels were expensive (can't dare get near a pothole).

My wife likes the ZHP because she doesn't have to worry about all of that. Additionally, the ZHP is a cruiser. All-around greatness.

Yea, I like how it's a "cruiser," but then it's as darty as I want it on backroads. It's not as darty as my MINI, but then again not many cars are. Now that the rears are TOTALLY gone on the 330 and the temps are below 50 (summer tires turn to bricks), it's quite easy to get the back end out at sane speeds. Not recommended, obviously, but definitely FUN! Stupid MINI sticks so well, I need to be going mach 2 with my hair on fire on a track to get it to oversteer. Which it does. Ask me how I know. Also ask the infield of Limerock.

Washburn
11-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Welcome to the ZHPs with Alcantara club :D

onepercent
11-11-2010, 09:11 AM

Marcus, do you have the Sport or M-Sport package? In absolute terms (disregarding age, price etc), which do you prefer, the 335 or the ZHP? (honest question)

Marcus-SanDiego
11-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Marcus, do you have the Sport or M-Sport package? In absolute terms (disregarding age, price etc), which do you prefer, the 335 or the ZHP? (honest question)

I have the sport package on the 2009 335.

I prefer the ZHP. Why? Because most of my driving is done at the speed limit. ZHP is the best all-around driver ever -- especially when you're doing the proper speed limit.

zhpnsnv
11-11-2010, 12:03 PM
To me the driving experience is defined in not only the seat of the pants feel of the car, but in the interaction and relationship you can have to the instruments via the interior layout/design. Taking that into account, I can't fathom driving an E9x over an E46. I think it's because I first fell in love with the E30 interior.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-11-2010, 12:23 PM
To me the driving experience is defined in not only the seat of the pants feel of the car, but in the interaction and relationship you can have to the instruments via the interior layout/design. Taking that into account, I can't fathom driving an E9x over an E46. I think it's because I first fell in love with the E30 interior.

And the E92 interior sucks compared to the ZHP interior.