PDA

View Full Version : Best Aftermarket HU to replace OEM Nav HU

J0hnny Ray
04-18-2016, 03:31 AM
Hi All,

I have a 2005 330i ZHP with the OEM NAV (MKIV) and I was wondering what the general consensus is on an aftermarket replacement. What I'm looking for is:

Listen to music on my iPhone (6) via Bluetooth
Navigation (from the HU itself or through my phone)
Retain Speed Limit Chime
Plug and Play unit that has an easy DIY video (with NAV)

Thanks ahead of time.

ELCID86
04-18-2016, 03:58 AM
Lots of talk on this here already. Choices are limited. Have you searched thru this sub forum.

BMWCurves
04-18-2016, 07:24 AM
I don't think there's a clear winner as all of them have their pros and cons. Some people like products by Avin, like the Avant 2, others like Eonon or Dynavin. You have to research them and decide for yourself.

fw_fw
04-18-2016, 07:53 AM
Be aware that all of them are rumored to have a updated version coming out soon, as most of the ones out now have been on the market at least 18-24 months......

BMWCurves
04-18-2016, 08:05 AM
Be aware that all of them are rumored to have a updated version coming out soon, as most of the ones out now have been on the market at least 18-24 months......

Really? I'm surprised given how old the E46 platform is. You wouldn't think they'd spend the money developing new/updated units.

fw_fw
04-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Really? I'm surprised given how old the E46 platform is. You wouldn't think they'd spend the money developing new/updated units.

Keep in mind that the actual electronics are used in a bunch of models across several car manufacturers. The E46 specific stuff is mostly the physical dimensions, mounts, and final wiring harness.

BMWCurves
04-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Keep in mind that the actual electronics are used in a bunch of models across several car manufacturers. The E46 specific stuff is mostly the physical dimensions, mounts, and final wiring harness.

Fair point.

FungShui
04-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Avin be launching their Avant 3 this month.

OP, there is a long thread about the Avin Avant 2 on E46F site. Also the thread lists some known bugs so you know what to expect if you purchase one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MrAdventure
05-10-2016, 06:54 AM
I have an iPhone 6S and I purchased the Eonon GA5150F. The phone did not integrate well with the head unit, which does not display ID3 song information from the A2DP stream. I also connected the phone to the unit via a USB cable and the unit did not recognize the phone. It's not a bad unit, but it just doesn't work well with the iPhone.

I'm making arrangements to return it, and I reinstalled the original head unit, in anticipation of the newest head units. I'll be using a Jabra FM transmitter until I buy again.

BADCLOWN
05-10-2016, 09:25 AM
I have every intention of getting this for the ZHP. Plan is to get one for the GFs beetle turbo first. I currently have the eonon headunit and it works well/matches the interior well but I'm not a fan of the NAV

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00O8B7CFS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1462901058&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=pioneer+carplay&dpPl=1&dpID=41it74o4qDL&ref=plSrch

ELCID86
05-10-2016, 03:29 PM
^ no buttons or knobs :-(

Johnmadd
05-10-2016, 04:22 PM
I have every intention of getting this for the ZHP. Plan is to get one for the GFs beetle turbo first. I currently have the eonon headunit and it works well/matches the interior well but I'm not a fan of the NAV

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00O8B7CFS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1462901058&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=pioneer+carplay&dpPl=1&dpID=41it74o4qDL&ref=plSrch

Not sure of price or what, but shot me a pm when you want to sell it.

BADCLOWN
05-10-2016, 06:54 PM
I was screwing around today on crutchfield and it turns out that CarPlay unit doesn't work for our cars, fitment issues on the backside I suppose. Sucks.

NorCalZman
05-10-2016, 08:24 PM
I was screwing around today on crutchfield and it turns out that CarPlay unit doesn't work for our cars, fitment issues on the backside I suppose. Sucks.

so NO carplay unit they carry fits our cars? or just a specific one you were looking at? there has to be one out there one would think

fw_fw
05-11-2016, 05:13 AM
so NO carplay unit they carry fits our cars? or just a specific one you were looking at? there has to be one out there one would think

Carplay is not the issue, physical dimensions are. No normal Double-DIN HU will fit in E46 HU location due to the AC ducting in the dash. Since all Carplay units that I'm aware of are Double-DIN, hence they won't fit into E46 BMWs without some serious fabrication to the AC ducting.

google "Double DIN BMW E46" and you will find dozens of threads and videos all over the numerous websites on the subject. This is the reason the EONON/AVIN/Dynavin type units are so popular for E46s as they are made to match the physical dimensions of our cars.

NorCalZman
05-11-2016, 10:27 AM
How depressing. I figured a double DIN would be an option for us if needed. Thanks for the info. Guess Ill keep my MKIV chugging along as long as possible.

KevinC
05-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Look at this gem that Alpine just came out with for the Golf 7 ... currently only available in Europe:

http://youtu.be/BwrT7pL_WPY

Dayum. Wouldn't it be awesome if something like this came out for the E46 / E39? Talk about state of the art! And the stock MIB II head unit in the Golf is no slouch already. My only regret owning older BMWs - lack of modern electronics/ICE.

ELCID86
05-14-2016, 11:02 AM
Hmm wonder if they have that for Golf 6??

BMWCurves
05-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Anyone have any details on the Avin Avant 3 that's supposedly coming out soon? I tried contacting Avin but haven't heard anything from them, and their pre-order link is pretty much useless (link: https://avinusa.com/pre-order-deposit-only-for-bmw-e46-m3-avant-3.html)

Also, has anyone heard for Erisin or their ES4046B? It looks nice, but looks are very deceiving in the ICE world.

BMWCurves
05-29-2016, 07:30 AM
To answer my own question, here's Avin's response:

Thanks for your interest in our AVIN units.

Unfortunately, we are completely out of stock and will not be getting anymore E46 Avant-2 units as it will be replaced by our NEW Avant-3.

We are currently developing our all new Avant-3 platform now and it will be available later this year.

Here are a few features that we can share now about the new Avant-3.

Android Auto
Quad core CPU
Newer Android OS version
More RAM memory
More Internal storage
Onboard computer display including gas mileage range, oil temp, parking distance control radar.
A lot better Bluetooth performance and features
Ipod Iphone support of Lightning cable via USB
Ipod Iphone Playlist support
A lot better radio tuner with the best reception
DAB+ support for Europe
More powerful amplifier for nice clean sound
Better Wifi performance and range
Handsfree Voice command feature without the need for internet connection
DSP support for the BMW E39 and E53 X5
and many more

The Avant-3 will be worth the wait.

We have already started taking preorders for it and expect the first shipment to be sold out maybe before release. We are offering a $100 off discount from the expected sales price of $799.99 for those that preorder early.

https://avinusa.com/pre-order-deposit-only-for-bmw-e46-m3-avant-3.html

MrAdventure
05-29-2016, 04:58 PM
Does the current Avant 2 display text when streaming via A2DP?

oclvframe
05-30-2016, 03:33 PM
FWIW....the latest and greatest Dynavin, the N6, is awesome....I've had it in my zhp for about a year now and absolutely love it. It was a great improvement over the D99+. And...it integrates with iPhones beautifully.

-r

Tunes
08-14-2016, 06:37 AM
check out the new Kenwood Car Play models, resent lay released and extremely fast. They have Garman Nav units that are a lot better than app maps if you want to go in that direction.

PatN
01-24-2017, 09:14 PM

Did you end up getting this unit? How is it?

Thanks-

ETAction
02-21-2017, 08:35 PM
I was very much considering this

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX107/Alpine-iLX-107.html?tp=20217&awkw=278426908000&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=173003409506&awdv=c&awug=9030291

The ease of Apple Carplay seems great. Screen works just like your phone, uses maps nicely.

I have MKIV Nav and have an Airenabler hooked up which is nice but has some very annoying issues that i hate dealing with.

I just love OEM I am torn, but for now keeping it as is. Let us know what you decide to do

MrAdventure
02-22-2017, 07:21 AM
I was very much considering this

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX107/Alpine-iLX-107.html?tp=20217&awkw=278426908000&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=173003409506&awdv=c&awug=9030291

The ease of Apple Carplay seems great. Screen works just like your phone, uses maps nicely.

I have MKIV Nav and have an Airenabler hooked up which is nice but has some very annoying issues that i hate dealing with.

I just love OEM I am torn, but for now keeping it as is. Let us know what you decide to do

I don't believe that'll work because the space at the lower half of the mounting area is pretty shallow. You might want to get some measurements before you buy it.

oclvframe
02-23-2017, 03:29 AM
I don't believe that'll work because the space at the lower half of the mounting area is pretty shallow. You might want to get some measurements before you buy it.

^^^^ and...for that kind of money the Dynavin is an excellent choice. It's not necessarily seamless apple car play but it my Dynavin works really well with my iPhone.

-r

derbo
02-23-2017, 07:56 AM
My next car is going to have Apple Carplay, but I feel like that maybe overrated and just a novelty...

KevinC
02-23-2017, 04:18 PM
My next car is going to have Apple Carplay, but I feel like that maybe overrated and just a novelty...

I have CarPlay in my Golf R and here's my take. It works fine for what it is. But at this point, it's a wired connection only, and hooking up the phone every time you get in/out of the car is tiresome to say the least. It's great if you don't have nav otherwise as Apple Maps is nicely integrated into your big dash display and generally works quite well, if not quite up to the standard set by Google Maps, but they've closed the gap significantly.

But - the stock VW software does everything I need it to do, without using CarPlay, so I don't bother with it. The nav is excellent and utilizes the center display between tach/speedo for the turn-by-turn directions- CarPlay is not (at least currently in this car) capable of that. All my music is on SD card so utilizing iTunes library on the phone is not necessary. Stock Bluetooth is excellent. And I get album artwork with my music, which CarPlay inexplicably does not provide.

I would love to add a CarPlay-capable head unit to the ZHP however. Somebody needs to make an affordable, mechless (no CD transport) shallow-mount unit that supports CarPlay/Android Auto only, and do it at a reasonable price, and come from a reputable company with real support, not one of these flawed Ebay disasters. Doesn't exist yet - at least not at reasonable cost or without limitations (i.e. Alpine option). Seems like it would appeal to a ton of owners of many different car makes/models.

The facelifted Golf 7.5 models, just now going to production, allegedly have wireless charging & CarPlay. Apparently wireless CarPlay utilizes WiFi and doesn't compress the music stream, as Bluetooth does. Now if my VW had these capabilities, I'd be much more likely to use it more often.

Tunes
12-24-2017, 02:20 PM
I just put a Kenwood DNX-994S into my O5, no fit issues and I love the way it works!
If you are satisfied with phone Nav they have the DDX-9904S with out Garman Nav.

KevinC
12-24-2017, 08:34 PM
I just put a Kenwood DNX-994S into my O5, no fit issues and I love the way it works!
If you are satisfied with phone Nav they have the DDX-9904S with out Garman Nav.

Can you post some pics of the install, and some screen shots? Thanks!

Vas
12-25-2017, 05:25 AM
Can you post some pics of the install, and some screen shots? Thanks!+1

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

KevinC
12-25-2017, 10:07 AM
I went and looked at that unit. $1k and NO volume knob or knobs of any kind. Non-starter for me. Also it looks to be very large & deep, requiring screwing around with the ducting?

There are a bunch of units on the market that come close to what I want, but nobody quite has it all. That latest Sony unit is promising, but it has a resistive touchscreen, which is a huge downer and a head-scratcher of a decision by Sony. They lack durability and clarity.

holyc0w
12-25-2017, 10:50 AM
I went and looked at that unit. $1k and NO volume knob or knobs of any kind. Non-starter for me. Also it looks to be very large & deep, requiring screwing around with the ducting?

Seems like it. There's a few pictures out there of Kenwood units used for E46s including a shop or two. Unfortunately, they don't show much detail on the fitting of the unit.

ELCID86
12-25-2017, 01:31 PM
I’m really surprised it fits (without a lot of duct work). And I need knobs!