PDA

View Full Version : BMW Performance intake or Dinan Intake

6SPDZHP
05-07-2016, 12:15 PM
I have both intake set ups and just deciding which one to go with. Plus with these intakes I have a 2 different strut bars to match with them. I have a dinan strut bar and the other from E46 M3. I was looking for the carbon Mperformance strut bar but gave up as they are hard to find.
So back to the original question. Does the BMW performance intake require a software tune or dme adaptation is good enough?
Dinan recommends software tune which is another $400. I don't see a ZHP specific tune so Im not sure if it will overwrite the ZHP tune to a regular 330i tune.
Sound differences? Just want to decide between these two and not any other intake

TIA

TLL0003
05-13-2016, 07:12 AM
I have both intake set ups and just deciding which one to go with. Plus with these intakes I have a 2 different strut bars to match with them. I have a dinan strut bar and the other from E46 M3. I was looking for the carbon Mperformance strut bar but gave up as they are hard to find.
So back to the original question. Does the BMW performance intake require a software tune or dme adaptation is good enough?
Dinan recommends software tune which is another $400. I don't see a ZHP specific tune so Im not sure if it will overwrite the ZHP tune to a regular 330i tune.
Sound differences? Just want to decide between these two and not any other intake

TIA

I have the dinan intake, you do not HAVE to have the dinan tune to go along with it. I'm sure it's the same with the BMW performance. They're so easy to swap out, just go with which ever one sounds/looks best to you. Performance gains are going to be minimal with just an intake. Honestly, I don't notice much of a sound difference with the dinan intake, but it looks good in the engine compartment and I got it for a good deal. I'd like to hear your thoughts if you decide to try them both out and compare!

johnrando
05-13-2016, 07:21 AM
The BMW one does not need a tune. I can't speak for the Dinan one.

6SPDZHP
05-13-2016, 07:37 AM
Thanks. That is correct. I just got a copy of the installation instructions from BMW ASAP and on the last page it states that it does not require coding. Although the negative terminal has to be disconnected for 30mins. I guess to reset adaptations. The Dinan one does require a tune as stated by the SA and the install instructions. Good thing I printed it out. Otherwise I would not have removed that plastic tab from the expansion tank. It does touch the heat insulation. I closed the hood the way I usually do and the right side latch did not catch. I have not driven the car yet. It does look very nice and clean under the hood.

Ill be selling the brand new dinan intake online.

TLL0003
05-13-2016, 07:41 AM
Will you also be selling the strut bar?

TLL0003
05-13-2016, 07:42 AM
And you do not need a tune for Dinan even if they recommend it*

Dual
05-13-2016, 08:46 AM
Interested in the Dinan intake...

6SPDZHP
05-14-2016, 04:18 PM
Will you also be selling the strut bar?

yes price is just how much it is listed on dinan plus paypal fees and half of shipping. I will not include the ca tax that I paid.

(And you do not need a tune for Dinan even if they recommend it*)

The SA at Dinan was adamant that I should buy the software right after the install. I asked for zhp software and they said it should work for zhp.

I will be selling the intake and strut bar. Ill post it at the for sale section.

I had to adjust the plastic screw that holds the radiator to make the intake sit flush on the support.

ZacharyMikel
05-14-2016, 05:13 PM
My car is running the Dinan stage 2 tune with their hi-flow intake. Can't speak as to how much of a gain it is with the tune as I purchased my car with both installed... That 4k power dip is pretty real though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLL0003
05-14-2016, 07:21 PM
yes price is just how much it is listed on dinan plus paypal fees and half of shipping. I will not include the ca tax that I paid.

(And you do not need a tune for Dinan even if they recommend it*)

The SA at Dinan was adamant that I should buy the software right after the install. I asked for zhp software and they said it should work for zhp.

I will be selling the intake and strut bar. Ill post it at the for sale section.

I had to adjust the plastic screw that holds the radiator to make the intake sit flush on the support.

He wants to sell you a $400 tune.... That makes perfect sense. I'm running the Dinan intake in my 2005 ZHP with no problems at all. You absolutely do not need dinan's tune for an intake, but the intake itself will not give you much (if any) HP gains. No intake is going to do much for performance in this car.

Campster23
05-15-2016, 09:41 AM
I have Dinan intake as well, as some of you know Shark Injector shit in my Cheerios last week, so I sent it back and am going with Active Autowerks tune tomorrow, I'll let you know if it makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk