PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Pilot Super Sport Review

rkneeshaw
05-10-2016, 06:29 PM
From the perspective of a Continental ExtremeContact DW owner.

I've bought Conti DW's for probably the last 3 sets of tires. Before that I had Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs. The Dunlops tram-lined like crazy and wore very quickly, and were very loud, although they were very grippy. The Conti DW's (not the DWS) wore very well, lasted a lot longer than the Dunlops, were quiet and comfortable, and gripped like crazy. I knew they had a soft sidewall but I had no idea how much this was killing my driving experience until I ponied up the dough and tried the Michelin PSS.

For starters, the car drives like its on rails. The steering response is incredible, and the road feel is fantastic. Grip seems very good in turns during "spirited" driving. Off the line, after 400 miles or so on the tires, I still think the Conti DW's might have had very slightly more grip. Or I've got more power now that I've got my TS2 kit running really well, so, hard to say for sure. But the grip in the turns is definitely there. The car is SO fun to drive with these tires. And they are quiet, and they don't feel harsh over bumps either.

They do slightly tram-line on crappy roads.

And oddly, I get a slight amount of rub occasionally if I hit a real deep dip in the road. I'm running OEM style 135's, stock staggered sizes, and 10mm spacers front and rear. I had zero rub with this configuration with the continental DW's and even the crappy bridgstone Turanza's that I bought for hooning (and hoon I did). So the PSS must have slightly wider tread width, or maybe the tread blocks are more "square" on the edges, because the tire size is exactly the same as the others.

Regardless, I'm very very pleased with these tires. I can't believe how much difference a good sidewall can make. I highly recommend. Best tires I've ever had.

Karl Lazlo
05-10-2016, 06:34 PM
They do slightly tram-line on crappy roads.

Understatement of the week.

Good review. I have PSS square on my 03 and Connie ECDW staggered on my 06.

PSS are so much more a tire. Despite tramlining with a stiffer sidewall.

Jconlin16
05-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Awesome, thanks for the review. Im currently on hankook Ventus v12s but planning on going with the super sports for my next tire. Looking forward to comparing the two!

Vas
05-10-2016, 06:45 PM
I just ditched the conti dw on the wife's car and went with some hankook ventus v12 evo2.

The conti dw have a soft sidewall that makes the car not feel as responsive.

Was going to get the pilot ss but the price was a factor. Maybe next time in a non stagger setup.

Glad to hear you like them.

NorCalZman
05-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Understatement of the week.

Good review. I have PSS square on my 03 and Connie ECDW staggered on my 06.

PSS are so much more a tire. Despite tramlining with a stiffer sidewall.

huh, Ill have to look for this on the freeway with those little lines. I haven't noticed that (yet)

I just ditched the conti dw on the wife's car and went with some hankook ventus v12 evo2.

The conti dw have a soft sidewall that makes the car not feel as responsive.

Was going to get the pilot ss but the price was a factor. Maybe next time in a non stagger setup.

Glad to hear you like them.

Check Costco. On top of their great prices for the tires and installation, every other month they have 70 dollars off on Michelins. I got mine installed out the door for I think a little over 700?

GotZHP
05-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Love the PSS tire. Picking up a set this weekend for the Fiesta ST and will be picking up a set for my car when it comes time for new sneakers. I had them on my BRZ as well and love them. Was always looking at the Conti ECDW as an alternative, and the softer sidewall would be nicer for highway cruising. After reading this review, ill stick with the PSS!

GotZHP
05-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Vas, I was able to get a great deal on a set for my GFs Fiesta ST. Michilen has a 70 dollar mail in rebate going at the moment. I went on TireRack and found a coupon for a local indy shop for a freee allignment. Then instead of ordering the tires through tirerack and having to pay shipping. I had the local indy shop order the tires for me. Saved $70 from rebate, getting a free alignment ($30-50 value) and didnt pay shipping (70 dollars!!!)

NoVAphotog
05-11-2016, 04:44 AM
Not surprised to hear you rub with the spacers. All tires differ in size regardless of if the overall size is the same. Just a thing. And the PSS differ in the right spots to make them rub when others wouldn't. Not a huge deal just something to consider.

I've had these on both the stock setup and the ARC-8's I have now. Very spoiled, though I did switch from Bridgestone runflats when I first got them and that was night and day. With the ARC-8's and the Super Sports all these mods come together and I/the car had VAST amounts of ability on track I couldn't even begin to reach the limits of. The car just gripped and gripped.

Vas
05-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Vas, I was able to get a great deal on a set for my GFs Fiesta ST. Michilen has a 70 dollar mail in rebate going at the moment. I went on TireRack and found a coupon for a local indy shop for a freee allignment. Then instead of ordering the tires through tirerack and having to pay shipping. I had the local indy shop order the tires for me. Saved $70 from rebate, getting a free alignment ($30-50 value) and didnt pay shipping (70 dollars!!!)

Thanks for the heads up about the rebate. However the tires were still out of my budget in the factory tire size for the zhp. They end up being over $700 for a set so I jumped this time on the Hankook rebate/sale and got a new set of summers for the wife's car for $452 plus $60 to mount.

ELCID86
05-11-2016, 03:12 PM
huh, Ill have to look for this on the freeway with those little lines. I haven't noticed that (yet)

Check Costco. On top of their great prices for the tires and installation, every other month they have 70 dollars off on Michelins. I got mine installed out the door for I think a little over 700?

That's where I got mine.

GotZHP
05-12-2016, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the heads up about the rebate. However the tires were still out of my budget in the factory tire size for the zhp. They end up being over $700 for a set so I jumped this time on the Hankook rebate/sale and got a new set of summers for the wife's car for $452 plus $60 to mount.

O damn... Thats pricey, much cheaper for the Fiesta ST, but then again, they are only 215s all around.

Going to need to save up a bit longer :/

Vas
05-12-2016, 06:20 AM
O damn... Thats pricey, much cheaper for the Fiesta ST, but then again, they are only 215s all around.

Going to need to save up a bit longer :/

Don't get me wrong. I am sure they are a really great tire but for some its hard to justify the price. Currently tirerack before any rebates or shipping has a full set in factory zhp sizing at $823.50. Costco or other retailers might be cheaper.

Plus with the stagger set-up, the rear tires are going to wear alot quicker then the front and you are not able to rotate them. If I had a square set-up on the car, I would go with the pilot ss.

slater
05-12-2016, 06:49 AM
Don't get me wrong. I am sure they are a really great tire but for some its hard to justify the price. Currently tirerack before any rebates or shipping has a full set in factory zhp sizing at $823.50. Costco or other retailers might be cheaper.

Plus with the stagger set-up, the rear tires are going to wear alot quicker then the front and you are not able to rotate them. If I had a square set-up on the car, I would go with the pilot ss.

to be honest, if you want the best, you shell out a bit more for it - another $200 for a set of tires when you're already spending $650 is not huge. to me anyway.

re: the square setup and tire wear - i went with a square setup for this very reason. however, i think it's a moot point as when you rotate, you'll likely get 1.5x the life of a set of rears, correct? it ends up being roughly the same cost as 1 set of fronts and 2 sets of rears. there is some hassle savings, yes - one less pair to mount and balance. i guess we'll see what i get out of my 245/35/18 PSS.

NoVAphotog
05-12-2016, 07:03 AM
to be honest, if you want the best, you shell out a bit more for it - another $200 for a set of tires when you're already spending $650 is not huge. to me anyway.

re: the square setup and tire wear - i went with a square setup for this very reason. however, i think it's a moot point as when you rotate, you'll likely get 1.5x the life of a set of rears, correct? it ends up being roughly the same cost as 1 set of fronts and 2 sets of rears. there is some hassle savings, yes - one less pair to mount and balance. i guess we'll see what i get out of my 245/35/18 PSS.

That's how I felt this last go around for the Apex's...RRT quoted me a difference of like $15 per tire from the S-04's to the PSS's...going to the 17's was the bigger factor there so went for them. The car is only driven MOonceON anyway now so I figure I'll get a lot of life out of them.

Vas
05-12-2016, 07:30 AM

Just for anybody comparing tires and looking to buy.

All top tires that are tested with great results.

Prices below for Stock ZHP Sizing from Tirerack before any discounts.

Bridgestone S04 - $652 for a full set
Continental DW - $614.50 for a full set
Michelin Pilot Super Sport - $823.50 for a full set
Hankook Ventus v12 Evo 2 - $543.80 for a full set

I have tried 3 out of the 4 on that list and driven cars with the Pilot SS (non zhp cars). Mostly because I enjoy trying out different brands/tires and to see how they compare to each other.

This whole idea of only PSS or bust really needs to end IMO.

slater
05-12-2016, 07:38 AM

I have tried 3 out of the 4 on that list and driven cars with the Pilot SS (non zhp cars). Mostly because I enjoy trying out different brands/tires and to see how they compare to each other.

dude, vas.... come on... PSS or bust. ;)

LOL. beers on me! :cheers

Vas
05-12-2016, 08:04 AM
LOL. beers on me! :cheers

Duly Noted :)

fredo
05-12-2016, 12:19 PM
I have Conti DW now. My next set will be Michelin. I'm undecided between PSS and AS3. My main reason is my driving style: not aggressive. Anyway, I'm many miles far from a new set.

GotZHP
05-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Have not heard the greatest things about the AS3s, but that was from the BRZ forum

rkneeshaw
05-14-2016, 07:06 PM
Those bridgestone S04's are supposed to be really good too. I'd consider trying those next time as well based on feedback I've heard and where they're priced.

Vas
05-14-2016, 07:16 PM
Yes they are. Have a set on my zhp.

BMWCurves
05-21-2016, 02:44 PM
I've driven on Conti DW tires for a long time. I have never had an issue with them and love their cold/wet weather performance for a summer tire along with their ride comfort, low noise, longevity, and low cost. I know they're not as good as as Michelin PSSss, but I got my square set for $480 shipped (245/40R17). Can't really complain with that.

That said, I think I'll try out the Michelin PSSs next round and see what all you hoonigans are going on about.

LobsterTail
06-01-2016, 03:53 AM
Just ordered my Michelin PSS. Will be installed next week. I was debating whether to go with those or the new Kumho Ecstas PS91s, but there are not enough reviews for me to purchase them.

Dual
06-18-2016, 05:40 AM
Moving over to PSS as I try to get free of the run-flat configuration my car came with. Fingers crossed....

Ernest
06-20-2016, 08:51 AM
I just bought 4 new PSS's to replace dry rotted Pirelli's. Had them professionally mounted, balanced and 4 wheel alignment 2 weeks ago. Installed Koni yellows a few months prior... You'll be very happy with the overall improvement the PSS's with proper alignment give, and even happier if you have newer shocks/struts. Glad I went in this order as it should help me isolate future suspension bushing upgrades better.

mercury26
07-17-2016, 09:07 AM
To add on, I just ordered my Michelin PSS and will pick up at TireRack this week. The tires I have on the car are over 8 years old (the are older Michelin Pilot Sports) they sound like snow tires on the car. I look forward to some quiet tires on the car.

As for comparison, I am a big fan of Bridgestone Potenza but also love the Michelins. They were only about $150-200 more new, so figured I would go that route this time. You honestly can't go wrong with Bridgestone or Michelin.

Also, ordered some Dunlop Direzza 15" tires for my 1977 VW Scirocco but that is another story....

330i Lover
08-12-2016, 05:07 AM
Like previously mentioned earlier in the thread that Costco does Michelin $70 off rebates, does anyone know of an upcoming Continental DW rebate/promotion? I see there's a rebate for a different Continental tire going around good until the 13th but it's not for the DW. I'm looking to get a set but with a squared setup 255/35/18 all around out the door from TireRack is around $885 while Discount Tire is $850 out the door. It sounds quite a bit higher than what others got these tires for but i'm wondering if the price difference is A) It's a summer tire so most ppl aren't buying now that we're already well into the summer and B) 255/35/18 is quite a bit wider than 225/35/18 so maybe it just costs much more to produce?

Vas
08-12-2016, 05:15 AM
Like previously mentioned earlier in the thread that Costco does Michelin $70 off rebates, does anyone know of an upcoming Continental DW rebate/promotion? I see there's a rebate for a different Continental tire going around good until the 13th but it's not for the DW. I'm looking to get a set but with a squared setup 255/35/18 all around out the door from TireRack is around $885 while Discount Tire is $850 out the door. It sounds quite a bit higher than what others got these tires for but i'm wondering if the price difference is A) It's a summer tire so most ppl aren't buying now that we're already well into the summer and B) 255/35/18 is quite a bit wider than 225/35/18 so maybe it just costs much more to produce?

255/35/18 are going to be expensive either way.

My suggestion is to step down to a 245 section width and go with the Hankook Ventus V12 Ev02.

slater
08-12-2016, 05:31 AM

My suggestion is to step down to a 245 section width and go with the Hankook Ventus V12 Ev02.

i'm running 245/35/18 michelin PSS (squared) on my imola ZHP, and 225/255 PSS on my estoril ZHP. i can tell you that the 225/255 set rides a lot better... while it's only 0.2" taller in diameter, it makes a difference.

i'd get the stock sizes. (and i would suggest getting the PSS, they feel so much better than the DWs... and that's the difference - the DWs are mute and sloppy, the PSS are communicative and crisp. driven both in stock sizes on stock suspension.)

Vas
08-12-2016, 06:19 AM
i'm running 245/35/18 michelin PSS (squared) on my imola ZHP, and 225/255 PSS on my estoril ZHP. i can tell you that the 225/255 set rides a lot better... while it's only 0.2" taller in diameter, it makes a difference.

i'd get the stock sizes. (and i would suggest getting the PSS, they feel so much better than the DWs... and that's the difference - the DWs are mute and sloppy, the PSS are communicative and crisp. driven both in stock sizes on stock suspension.)

I think he is running a square set-up now and wants to rotate.

330i Lover
08-12-2016, 08:34 AM
I have staggered now but bought 2 rear wheels to do a squared setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

san
08-12-2016, 09:12 AM
If you are open to alternatives then Firestone Indy 500 seem like a good budget tire... On tirerack they are $446.72 for a set of 4 vs. $695 for DW... I read few reviews, can't remember where exactly, comparing Indy 500's to s04 pole position... Make sense since Bridgestone owns Firestone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

330i Lover
08-12-2016, 11:25 AM

That seems way too good to be true, but the reviews look pretty solid. I might give these a try. I'm not needing to pull the trigger quite yet so i'll see who has the best deal. Thx!

330i Lover
08-12-2016, 11:29 AM
If you are open to alternatives then Firestone Indy 500 seem like a good budget tire... On tirerack they are $446.72 for a set of 4 vs. $695 for DW... I read few reviews, can't remember where exactly, comparing Indy 500's to s04 pole position... Make sense since Bridgestone owns Firestone...

When I search by 245/35/18 on TireRack the Firestone Indy 500 doesn't show up. Are you sure they make it in that size?

san
08-12-2016, 11:32 AM
When I search by 245/35/18 on TireRack the Firestone Indy 500 doesn't show up. Are you sure they make it in that size?

I was talking about 255/35/18...

Edit: http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?gclid=CJ_NsKnPvM4CFQ6OaQodbFMHk A&tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500&partnum=535WR8FHI5XL&GCID=C13674x012-tire&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Firestone_Firehawk_Indy_500_Tire&code=yes&src=17540115&ci_sku=535WR8FHI5XL&ci_sku=535WR8FHI5XL&ci_src=17588969&ef_id=V64kjgAABLROmp8x:20160812193334:s

slater
08-12-2016, 12:02 PM

they don't make that size, that's why.

holyc0w
08-12-2016, 12:11 PM

They were sold as bridgestone adrenalin re003 in some other countries. I kind of wish I tried them, but I wouldn't have had a good reference point.

330i Lover
08-13-2016, 05:04 PM

Either prices have dramatically increased in the last 3 months or you've got friends in high places at TireRack! I just did the math and for a set of the hancook's ventus tires it would be $114 for installation, $580 for the tires and $76 for shipping. Grand total comes to $770, before any promotions. That seems outrageous compared to Discount Tire can do the Continental DW for $831 out the door which includes free rotations. So, with these prices it looks like there's only $60 difference between the Hankooks and the Continentals. What do you guys think?

terraphantm
08-14-2016, 05:21 AM

Well having experienced all four of those tires, the PSS are better (and lasted significantly longer than the Bridgestones in my experience). But I also think the latest and greatest tires really aren't necessary on a ZHP, which makes less power than most family sedans these days. So on my ZHP I actually went with all seasons, the Pilot Sport A/S3 plus. They're not cheap, but should last significantly longer than summer tires. And I'd estimate they have about as much grip as the PS2s that the ZHP initially came in.

On my M3... PSS or bust.

rkneeshaw
08-20-2016, 06:31 AM
Discount Tire can do the Continental DW for $831 out the door which includes free rotations. So, with these prices it looks like there's only $60 difference between the Hankooks and the Continentals. What do you guys think?

And that's within $70 of the $901 out the door price for PSS I got from Discount Tire, and at the time I also got a $70 mail in rebate card so my total price was $831.

In my experience the PSS are superior to the Conti DWs.

330i Lover
10-03-2016, 06:43 AM
I saw there was a special on the Continental's on TireRack so I took advantage and pulled the trigger. $514 after shipping, will be installed later in the week. :) Hopefully I'll get 40-50k miles out of them since I'll be rotating them when oil will be changed on a square setup.

If anyone is interested in (2) 225/40/18 Style 135's wrapped in Continental's with about 60-70% tread left let me know. The wheels are 9/10 condition. I'll be making a post on them soon.

Vas
10-03-2016, 10:48 AM
If anyone is interested in (2) 225/40/18 Style 135's wrapped in Continental's with about 60-70% tread left let me know. The wheels are 9/10 condition. I'll be making a post on them soon.

Shoot Jconlin16 a pm or post in his thread. He is looking for front wheels.

BMWCurves
10-03-2016, 01:32 PM
I saw there was a special on the Continental's on TireRack so I took advantage and pulled the trigger. $514 after shipping, will be installed later in the week. :) Hopefully I'll get 40-50k miles out of them since I'll be rotating them when oil will be changed on a square setup.

Continental ExtremeContact DW's? I would think you'll get less than 40-50k out of them. Probably closer to 25-40k depending on your driving habits. My father averaged ~30k in his 540i, and he was on his third set.

330i Lover
10-03-2016, 01:35 PM
Shoot Jconlin16 a pm or post in his thread. He is looking for front wheels.
PM'd. Thx Vas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Vas
10-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Big Big Big News

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is now dead.

New replacement is on its way called the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

http://blog.caranddriver.com/michelin-launches-new-king-of-all-tires-the-pilot-sport-4-s/

san
10-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Big Big Big News

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is now dead.

New replacement is on its way called the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

http://blog.caranddriver.com/michelin-launches-new-king-of-all-tires-the-pilot-sport-4-s/

Ya saw that last week when I was reading about the Paris motor show...

Look out for closeout sales on PSS's...

Vas
10-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Look out for closeout sales on PSS's...

Good Point. Might be a good time to try them out then.

March will be just in time for spring and removing the winter set-ups

Dual
10-04-2016, 01:40 PM
That's one of the giant PITA's of running non-square sets now: any given tire model has the lifespan of a mayfly, so you often wind up having to trash 4 when a set of two go bad.

NorCalZman
10-04-2016, 02:50 PM
oh dang. i LOVE my PSS tires. I hope these new ones don't give up the amazing ride/noise/handling balance.