PDA

View Full Version : New 2004 330Ci ZHP Convertible 52k DFW TX Owner(?)

ZhpVert1
05-16-2016, 03:53 PM
Hello guys,

This might be a long post, any feedback is appreciated!. Thanks.

I just bought a 2004 330Ci ZHP Convertible with 52k miles from a local used car dealer, the car was one TX owner vehicle.

I wish I had little more time to get it PPI at some service center or one of the members here help check it, but the dealer had other buyers waiting to buy if I didn't. (I met the other person with cash ready to buy at the dealer if I backed out, he was from Frisco). The car drives fine, idle's very quiet and engine is smooth, I havn't driven manuals for a long time now so I am still getting used to driving this car.

Now for the drama, I picked it up couple of days back, but dealer hasn't finished the paper work because it didn't pass inspection, the Evaporator and O2 Sensors tests were incomplete. But he let me take it home and said if I drive it around for couple of days the sensors should clear. I read about these tests and tried to follow the steps mentioned here (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7454339&postcount=19), but steps 2 and 3 are hard to do where I live, I tried but tests are still incomplete. I have to call him tomorrow and find out what the next step is.

Few concerns...

1. Dealer obviously cleaned the engine bay, but I see oil at the bottom right behind the front wheel, check the picture below. What could this be related to?.

2. The right LED brake light doesn't get bright when I hit the brakes, it's dimmer than left without head lights on, and doesn't change brightness when head lights are on. I checked the brakes lights, didn't see any rust or burnt plastic around connector. I assume this shouldn't pass inspection and I ashould ask the dealer to fix it?. Check attached images.

3. Regarding evap and o2 test, I checked codes using OBD scanner, there were no current or pending faults, if dealer did reset/cleared any faults prior would it have triggered evap and o2 tests?.

I am "ok" level DIY, I do my own oil changes, wheel bearings, strut bearings, control arm's, brakes and rotor's, so I don't mind fixing stuff myself, except for internal engine/transmission parts or taking them out.

Vas
05-17-2016, 09:37 AM
In regards to the leaks, based on those images

(1) slight leak from the oil pan gasket
(1) leak from Oil Filter Housing gasket
(1) slight leak from CCV/oil dipstick tube

Not sure about the led lights since I own a sedan.

As far as the tests, dealer most likely cleared the codes and they wont show up for a certain time / drive cycles.

ZhpVert1
05-17-2016, 11:34 AM
In regards to the leaks, based on those images

(1) slight leak from the oil pan gasket
(1) leak from Oil Filter Housing gasket
(1) slight leak from CCV/oil dipstick tube

Not sure about the led lights since I own a sedan.

As far as the tests, dealer most likely cleared the codes and they wont show up for a certain time / drive cycles.

Thanks for feedback, I called the previous owners service center, they said original owner did oil change and replaced cyclone seperator last month. They recommeded oil pan gasket replacement, but he declined. They did mention that they replaced oil pan gasket and valve cover gasker in 2014, I asked him why they want to replace oil pan gasket within 2 years, he said 2 years is how often oil pan gasket would last.

Regarding tests, EVAP is complete and green, O2 sensor is still running. I assume worst case sensor needs replacement?.

Does replacing cyclone seperator(last month) cause tests to get reset?, since original owner didn't drive much after those repairs that might have caused tests to start over?.

Vas
05-17-2016, 11:56 AM
Thanks for feedback, I called the previous owners service center, they said original owner did oil change and replaced cyclone seperator last month. They recommeded oil pan gasket replacement, but he declined. They did mention that they replaced oil pan gasket and valve cover gasker in 2014, I asked him why they want to replace oil pan gasket within 2 years, he said 2 years is how often oil pan gasket would last.

Regarding tests, EVAP is complete and green, O2 sensor is still running. I assume worst case sensor needs replacement?.

Does replacing cyclone seperator(last month) cause tests to get reset?, since original owner didn't drive much after those repairs that might have caused tests to start over?.

Sounds like the CCV was replaced them and they did not clean up the area after it was leaking. That would explain the residual oil left there. Also most likely they did not replace the o-ring in the oil pan that seals the dipstick tube.

If the oil pan gasket was done correctly, you do not need to do them every 2 years. They usually last up to 100k before they start giving visual clues that they need to be replaced. Unless they are talking about the oil filter housing but those last more then 2 years.

I would have that are cleaned up and the monitor to see where the leaks are coming from.

As far as the tests being reset because of the ccv, no it does not.

Worst thing is you replace the primary o2 sensors ( there are 2 of them at roughly $100 each)

Keep us updated. Great looking car with low miles. Worth keeping IMO

fredo
05-20-2016, 11:16 AM
Welcome. Hope things are working out for you.

ZhpVert1
05-20-2016, 10:29 PM
So it passed inspection and I own the car now ;), loving it so far. I had the car checked by a BMW Master Tech also, he said it was in excellent condition and recommended some minor things in next few months, which I will be taking care of myself with parts from online stores. He said the same thing as Vas, the oil on the engine was something that was not cleaned from previous cyclone separator service. I will clean that area up so I can monitor leaks, if it's minor I will leave it alone.

The vano's hoses and solenoid were also replaced couple of years back, I have been trying to figure out if cooling system was also serviced, but having trouble getting that info from previous owner's dealer. I would have to schedule recall service appointment and get previous service history in person after I get my registration papers.

Vas
05-21-2016, 04:18 AM
Congrats

fredo
05-21-2016, 04:25 AM
That's good news. In what part of DFW do you live ?

ZhpVert1
05-21-2016, 07:09 AM
Thanks. I am in Irving.

BMWCurves
05-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Nice car! In Oregon if you show up to the dealership where the car was previously serviced with your registration, they print out all service history no problem. Not sure what privacy laws are like in Texas though.