PDA

View Full Version : Repair Paint or Leave it Original?

Crickett
03-23-2011, 05:43 AM
I've read a few articles advocating leaving a car's paint completely original to improve resell value. (More collectible that way, I guess? :dunno) They discourage things like using touch-up kits or respraying individual body panels as they'll likely stand out down the road as the paint ages; short of a professional full vehicle respray in the original color, don't touch it. (I'd assume clearcoat corrections (i.e. swirls, shallow scratches, etc.) wouldn't ruin anything in this regard.)

What do you think? Crazy or spot-on advice?

mikeyb74
03-23-2011, 06:01 AM
I would leave it original. My e46 is going into the bodyshop to have alot of paint correction (dents, dings, scratches, and rust) in the near future. I am staying with the original color because it costs less to stay with. I had one of my 240sxs repainted in a different color which cost about $1500 more because the shop had to spray the door jams, under the hood, and under the rear hatch.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-23-2011, 06:05 AM
I would leave it original. I subscribe to the theory that a respray lowers the value of the car. Is it a theory, though? I don't know. It's what I've "heard."

mimalmo
03-23-2011, 06:11 AM
I don't think our cars are in the class of vehicles yet (and they may never be in that class) where people would pay more for "original". I'm thinking most ZHP buyers would rather see a quality respray of a hood and bumper than to see one covered in rock chips. The key being "quality".

pyreguy
03-23-2011, 06:22 AM
^my gut agrees with this

Sent using alien technology and Tapatalk

kayger12
03-23-2011, 06:28 AM
I don't think our cars are in the class of vehicles yet (and they may never be in that class) where people would pay more for "original". I'm thinking most ZHP buyers would rather see a quality respray of a hood and bumper than to see one covered in rock chips. The key being "quality".

This was my train of thought with re-shooting the front bumper. And when the hood has too many chips and Dr Colorchip fills for my liking , I'll re-shoot that as well.

Easy decision for me, though, as I don't plan on ever selling her...

danewilson77
03-23-2011, 06:59 AM

+1

Marcus-SanDiego
03-23-2011, 07:05 AM

I can agree with that, too. A few rock chips? I would not paint. A lot of rock chips, I would paint.

Thanks, Eli.

kpro
03-23-2011, 10:19 AM
A full color change is a pain in the ass and very expensive/time consuming to do it correctly. I would touch up what you need to though, and it shouldn't hurt the resale as long as its done properly.

gr330zhp
03-23-2011, 04:42 PM

This is true.

JC540I
03-24-2011, 05:38 PM
I would have to agree with what was said, Keep it the same color if you are going to re spray all and make sure it is done properly so you only have to do it once. Seen many people going to those $200 spray shops and i would rather sand it down myself and spray it by can then those places. if you only need touch up you can get it done properly at a good shop that will blend the paint so it will not be noticeable to the eye and looks great .

danewilson77
03-24-2011, 06:26 PM
I would have to agree with what was said, Keep it the same color if you are going to re spray all and make sure it is done properly so you only have to do it once. Seen many people going to those $200 spray shops and i would rather sand it down myself and spray it by can then those places. if you only need touch up you can get it done properly at a good shop that will blend the paint so it will not be noticeable to the eye and looks great .

Well put JC.........

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Crickett
03-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all of the advice & opinions, guys! My paint isn't terrible overall, but it does have quite a few clear coat scratches & a handful of deeper rock chips, some to the metal. I'm definitely not looking to respray in a different color, just weighing whether to touch up the few chipped areas or leave it alone until I can do a full, restorative respray (way) down the road.