PDA

View Full Version : What are the best-stopping pads for OE BMW brakes?

MsRN
03-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Has anyone here found pads that stop better (initial bite, fade, etc.) than OE? I'm about to change my rear pads and rotors (OE BMW Performance Rotors), followed shortly by fronts. I've only done this once before, and used stock BMW OE pads. I'm willing to trade more brake dust/rotor wear and a little more noise for better performance (I'm this way about the brakes on my bicycles, too...one can never have too much stopping power, IMHO).

mimalmo
03-23-2011, 06:55 PM
I'll be checking back here because I have to order some brakes ASAP.

kpro
03-23-2011, 07:44 PM
I really like my hawk HPS pads. They are so much eaiser on your wheels than the OEM BMW pads. Virtually no dust in comparison, stops great too.

Johnmadd
03-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Ceramic?

HaloArchive
03-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Hawk pads are win. They stop on a dime, no fade but, you will have to turn your rotors more often.

az3579
03-24-2011, 04:08 AM
I really like my hawk HPS pads. They are so much eaiser on your wheels than the OEM BMW pads. Virtually no dust in comparison, stops great too.

Huh? Did you just saw Hawk and no dust in the same post? I-don't-think-so.
Hawks dust like crazy, but they stop you like you wouldn't believe.

I would recommend Hawk HPS for street-oriented driving or HP+ pads for more auto-x or track type usage.

MasterC17
03-24-2011, 04:58 AM
Huh? Did you just saw Hawk and no dust in the same post? I-don't-think-so.
Hawks dust like crazy, but they stop you like you wouldn't believe.

I would recommend Hawk HPS for street-oriented driving or HP+ pads for more auto-x or track type usage.

Hawks HPS & HP+ are NOT recommended for the track - when their relatively low MOT level of 750°F is exceeded their friction level falls off rapidly. They are fine for autocross. I ended up going with Stoptech Street Performance pads - we'll see how they do.

az3579
03-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Hawks HPS & HP+ are NOT recommended for the track - when their relatively low MOT level of 750°F is exceeded their friction level falls off rapidly. They are fine for autocross. I ended up going with Stoptech Street Performance pads - we'll see how they do.

Hawk says HP+ is suitable for the track. I've used them (both HPS and HP+) and they were fine through each 20-minute session...

adb1028
03-24-2011, 05:44 AM
Report back on the Stoptech's. Im interested to see how they compare to OEM in terms of performance and dust.

DROID2

MsRN
03-24-2011, 05:50 AM
Hawk pads are win. They stop on a dime, no fade but, you will have to turn your rotors more often.

BMW recommend replacing OE pads and rotors at the same time, and these are BMW Performance rotors; I'm not sure they can be turned. Why do Hawk pads necessitate more-frequent turning anyway? Do they wear unevenly?

danewilson77
03-24-2011, 05:51 AM
Report back on the Stoptech's. Im interested to see how they compare to OEM in terms of performance and dust.

DROID2

I have had Stoptech. Dust is not manageable.....ughhhh.

az3579
03-24-2011, 06:08 AM
BMW recommend replacing OE pads and rotors at the same time, and these are BMW Performance rotors; I'm not sure they can be turned. Why do Hawk pads necessitate more-frequent turning anyway? Do they wear unevenly?

No, just that the stopping power is more aggressive and that in turn wears the rotor more than a vanilla brake pad.

kpro
03-24-2011, 09:47 AM
I've used Hawk HPS pads on every daily driver I've ever had, without issues or much dust. I put them on 9/10 brake jobs I do, and I've never had the hawks wear the rotors unevenly to the point of needing them turned before the pads are done. I wouldn't reccommend the Hawk HP+ for cars that are strictly driven on the track or for a daily driven cars, but if you are the type that does an HPDE/Track Day every so often (few times a year) or auto-x on the weekends then the HP+ should work pretty well. Anything beyond a few track days I would consider a different pad all together or Hawk Blues. The only thing with the HP+ they dust more, they don't stop very well and are noisey til they get warmed up. The HPS is the way to go for daily driving and a little auto-x.

spencers
03-24-2011, 01:50 PM
The only thing with the HP+ they dust more, they don't stop very well and are noisey til they get warmed up. The HPS is the way to go for daily driving and a little auto-x.
I'm confused, then why run them over stock Textar or Pagid pads?

MasterC17
03-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Hawk says HP+ is suitable for the track. I've used them (both HPS and HP+) and they were fine through each 20-minute session...

I just wanted to point out that their MOT is pretty low at 750. I remember reading Car & Driver? crashed a 350Z or 370Z because the pads faded. The Stoptech's have a MOT of 1300 degrees.

Here Zeckhausen says the Hawks are not recommended for the track: http://www.zeckhausen.com/BMW/E46.htm

Not saying you can't just to be cautious.

I have had Stoptech. Dust is not manageable.....ughhhh.

How were they otherwise, personally not too concerned with dust.

I guess the real question is what application will you be using these for?

danewilson77
03-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Great pad otherwise.

Mtnman
03-24-2011, 04:04 PM
I am very pleased with the akebono euro ceramics I just put on the fronts of mine with bmw performance rotors. I think initial bite is a little better than oem and stopping power is at least just as good if not better......and no dust and no noise..... I have textar ceramics on the rear, but never could tell a difference......but hell, its hard to know on the rears.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

pyreguy
03-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Do you have performance rotors in the rear too David?

Sent using alien technology and Forum Runner

Mtnman
03-24-2011, 04:07 PM
No, standard oem blanks.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

pyreguy
03-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Just wondering. Thinking about making this happen relatively soon.

Sent using alien technology and Tapatalk

spencers
03-24-2011, 05:32 PM
I've been reading good things about Performance Friction Z Rated pads

3ZHPGUY
03-24-2011, 06:12 PM
I talked to my instructor at my first driving school about this last year. Hi suggestion was to get two different pads from the some manufacture, one for street and one for track. His reasoning was that they would be close enough in size so I could use the same rotors. He also suggested using two pads because the racing pads don't work well until their hot and I don't have time to heat them up before I need them every day. Hawk was the choice of most of the track rats for their track pads.

As for the rotors, from what I've read it's not good to turn them. They need all of that mass to cool without warping. I had Zimmerman cross drilled on my 323I and got a vibration problem. Everyone on the track forms suggests solids, they dissipate the heat better, so they say.

kpro
03-24-2011, 08:53 PM
yes, drilled rotors suck. I've cracked every brand I've bought doing auto-x, Brembo, Baer, Rotora, Powerslut...I'd hate to see what would happen if I used them on the track.

bcleaver
03-24-2011, 09:10 PM
I've run hawk HP+ for many autox seasons and would recommend them. I've run them on the track as well without any issues. They do dust. It also does take one or two hard stops for them to warm up and really grip, but it's not like they need to be 'hot' to come to a complete stop from 30mph at a stop sign on the street.

Basically it all depends on what you'll use them for.

Street; HPS
Autox: HP+
Dedicated track: something else

MsRN
03-28-2011, 03:19 PM
So my shortlist for pads appears to be Hawk HPS, Stoptechs, OE, or Ferodo DS2500 Club Race. BMW drivers on TireRack seem quite divided about the Hawks, scoring them either 4s or 8s. One driver posited that HPS pads need to warm up in order to grip well, and that the larger BMW rotors dissipate too much heat for the Hawks to reach optimal working temperatures. Has anyone here run them on a Bimmer?

Dane, did you find the Stoptechs to work better than OE BMW pads? Besides dusting lots (my lowest priority), did they have any other drawbacks?

OE BMW pads are actually fairly good for stock pads, IMHO. They're obviously not meant for track use, but I've no plans to track my ZHP anytime soon.

Ferodo pads are expensive, and eat through rotors, but appear to be really good stoppers, and a decent option for combined street and track use.

Akebono Euro Ceramics generally get good marks from BMW drivers, but appear to trade a little initial bite for decreased rotor and pad wear, and much less dust. They're also very nicely-priced right now.

Decisions...

danewilson77
03-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Dane, did you find the Stoptechs to work better than OE BMW pads? Besides dusting lots (my lowest priority), did they have any other drawbacks?

Great pad....very dirty.

MsRN
03-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Great pad....very dirty.

Worse than OE?

danewilson77
03-29-2011, 03:11 AM
I don't know that I ever paid that much attention to the oe pads. It always seems like I rapidly change out all that stuff when I buy one of these. Goes hand in hand with buying something daily for the whip. I will tell you they worked great, but said I would never, ever buy the StopTech pads again for a DD, due to the dust. I literally proclaimed this outload one day, whilst in the garage cleaning my rims.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

kpro
03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
I run the Hawks on my Bimmer, and all my cars for that matter. The HPS do not need any warm up time, even on the coldest days in winter. The HP+ on the other hand does. I don't think you'll be dissatisfied with the Hawks, seriously.

MsRN
03-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks, Kristen! :)

MsRN
04-18-2011, 07:01 PM
I bought Stoptech pads, based on overwhelmingly-positive reviews as concern the characteristics I'm most concerned about: good initial bite, good cold performance, long-ish life, easy on rotors, very slow to fade (and therefore trackable, should I go to a driving school). I also bought StopTech stainless lines, and ATE Type 200 fluid, as both are probably overdue anyway. Rotors are soon to be BMW Performance.. :) I'm sure I'll be investing in an economy-sized bottle of Sonax wheel cleaner, too...

Marcus-SanDiego
04-18-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm sure I'll be investing in an economy-sized bottle of Sonax wheel cleaner, too...

I'm a member of that club.

Mtnman
04-18-2011, 07:07 PM
I've got to give my akebono euro ceramics a little prop here. Lance was in town and drove the car.....and he thought they were better than oem on stopping power, and with no dust....msrn, glad u found pads u like too!