PDA

View Full Version : Google Review System (Scam) -- San Diego BMW Dealerships

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 08:40 AM
I have no idea how flawed it is, but in the San Diego BMW dealership scene it's bad. Real bad.

About a year ago, I was looking through some of the reviews for BMW of San Diego. As usual, there were more bad ones than good ones. However, I noticed quite a few 5-star ratings. That's pretty rare for these guys, so I took a closer look. What I found was disturbing.

Many of the reviewers were obviously posting bogus reviews. Indeed, I will lay out my case and prove my point. I will also, through circumstantial evidence, show why the dealers must be involved.

Let's use BMW of San Diego for this little exercise. You'll want to start here (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1T4GPMD_enUS324US332&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=bmw+of+san+diego+review&fb=1&gl=us&hq=bmw+of&hnear=San+Diego,+CA&cid=15477172641541131100&ei=_2qLTdmMAY34sAPZpeGQCg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=placepage-link&resnum=4&ved=0CEIQ4gkwAw). Then you need to scroll down to the Google reviews.

Let's take a look at "Katy," who posted on August 27, 2010. She writes that this was her best experience ever. "This is my 4th new car purchase and Jason Ballelo made this the best experience ever," she says. "He has a great personality and made the transaction fun and relaxing. There was no stress at all." Note that she invokes Jason Ballelo's name. He actually does work at the dealership. So, this review smells like something legitimate.

Now, let's click Katy's screen name. Let's take a look at her other reviews. Notice that Katy also reviewed several other businesses (unrelated to BMW of San Diego) on August 27, 2010 (same day as the BMW of San Diego review). She reviews a Montessori school in Texas where her daughter allegedly attends school. (Sure she does.)

Katy also reviewed a Toyota dealership on August 27, 2010. So, not only did she buy a BMW about that time, she also bought a Toyota too -- but up north in Hollywood. Once again, she drops the name of a real employee. (We'll get to that in a minute.)

Katy doesn't stop there. On August 27, 2010, she also wrote a review for a GM dealership up in Stockton, CA, which is in Northern California. How many cars does this woman have?

Listen, here's the bottom line: this Katy is writing false reviews. Someone is clearly paying her to do it. Who would pay her to do it? My thinking is that this is the doing of a marketing company run amok. However, the marketing company has been hired by a slew of companies to engage in this deceit. BMW of San Diego is definitely a part of this. Why? Because they had to turn over the names of real employees, so that the reviewers could give the reviews an air of legitimacy.

And don't think that Katy is the only reviewer who did this for BMW of San Diego. Check out Pam S. on May 13, 2010. She used the screen name of "review." Click that screen name and you'll see that Pam S goes by many names. Look at all of "her" reviews. She is "Art N, Tina E, Merci B," etc. It's a scam through and through.

And I don't want you to think that BMW of San Diego is the only dealership doing this. This is a widespread game. At one time, every dealership in San Diego had people like "Pam, Art, Merci, Tina, and Katy" doing this stuff.

So, when you see a dealership rating of 2.5 for BMW of San Diego, realize that it would be even lower if not for the scammers who are writing these fake reviews.

I could go on and on. I invite you to take a look at your own local dealerships. See if they are in cahoots with people who are writing fake reviews, which help prop up their ratings. It was a real eye opener for me when I starting digging deeper into this problem. And realize that this review process is not peculiar to the auto industry. I found this in a slew of industries. Indeed, remember that Katy was also doing it for a Montessori school.

In fact, I easily found several more examples of this stuff. See this person here (http://maps.google.com/maps/user?uid=212391215066677892673&hl=en&gl=US&ved=0CCYQhQo&ei=g4-LTcLmMKKKiAOS7fGrCQ&ptab=1). How many dentists can one person visit in two days? And get treatment at all of them? And notice Pacific BMW in there, too. Ooops. Another BMW dealer.

Or how about this one. This person doesn't mess around. Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. Reviews for all of them. Must have at least ten cars (http://maps.google.com/maps/user?uid=211536122633307881986&hl=en&gl=US&ved=0CCIQhQo&ei=g4-LTcLmMKKKiAOS7fGrCQ&ptab=1).

Then there is this one. How many teeth does she have? Two dentists in two days -- some 400 miles apart (http://maps.google.com/maps/user?uid=209938194525672399129&hl=en&gl=US&ved=0CCoQhQo&ei=g4-LTcLmMKKKiAOS7fGrCQ&ptab=1). Plus, in one review she says that she could not imagine going to any other dentist. Oops. She must have forgot that she went to another dentist just the day before.

If I was still an investigative reporter (covering fraud), I would be exposing this scam to a huge audience. Alas, all I have now is my little ZHPMafia.com site. But at least you guys know that there is an obvious problem with the Google rating system.

kayger12
03-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Wow. Outstanding detective work, Boss. Damn interesting.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 08:57 AM
KG, and it wasn't just for car dealers. It was for all kinds of businesses. This has to be widespread, cutting across many industries.

pyreguy
03-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Incredible! I love investigative journalism. Great work Mark!

danewilson77
03-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Mind id blown. Marcus is winning! Dealerships are losing.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Be sure to get the word out. Google is not the only service having issues. Yelp does, too. Similarly, I noticed another San Diego review service that was having the same issues. The entire system is tainted.

iZHP
03-24-2011, 09:50 AM
holy sh*t! That's serious stuff.....good work.

danewilson77
03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
I will play devils advocate.

So Katy writes 4 reviews on Aug 27th. Could she have made the purchases in the past........and just finally had the time to write reviews? Just because she wrote the review that day doesn't necessarily mean she made "all" purchases that day.

I mean...lets say she took some vacation and was kicking around the house, and said..."you know what, Ima sit down and write some reviews for my recent purchases. Also, maybe during that "past" time she moved from Cali to Texas?

Additionally.....don't people make up different names, than their real ones, one engaging in interwebz activities?

I don't doubt it's tainted though.

Not trying to stir you up Boss.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 10:22 AM
I welcome the devil's advocacy, DW.

I was just scratching the surface here. I have a lot more proof that would simply be overwhelming -- and piling on.

That's why I invite everyone to dig into this more. You will find that it's widespread.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Here's a nice one for you:

http://maps.google.com/maps/user?uid=209938194525672399129&hl=en&gl=US&ved=0CCoQhQo&ei=g4-LTcLmMKKKiAOS7fGrCQ&ptab=1

Note that this person could not imagine going to a different dentist. Of course, just the day before they were 400 miles away getting dental work done in Pasadena. It's a scam.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 10:43 AM
And here's another one. How many dentists can you visit in two days? And get treatment at all of them? And notice Pacific BMW in there, too. Ooops. Another BMW dealer.

http://maps.google.com/maps/user?uid=212391215066677892673&hl=en&gl=US&ved=0CCYQhQo&ei=g4-LTcLmMKKKiAOS7fGrCQ&ptab=1

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 10:45 AM
And another person who must have 10 BMWs -- and likes to go to different dealers.

http://maps.google.com/maps/user?uid=211536122633307881986&hl=en&gl=US&ved=0CCIQhQo&ei=g4-LTcLmMKKKiAOS7fGrCQ&ptab=1

gr330zhp
03-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Wow crazy stuff!!

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Let me know if I should stop. I could seriously go all day. It's that bad.

DW, again, I understand your question. It's a good one. But I would not have written this post if I didn't have a lot of proof that this is a rigged system. My 15 years in journalism trained me well.

Now, let's get the word out!

jvr826
03-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Some yelp fun for ya...

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2010-04-22/news/yelp-com-stands-accused-of-acting-like-a-modern-day-mafia?src=newsletter

danewilson77
03-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Some yelp fun for ya...

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2010-04-22/news/yelp-com-stands-accused-of-acting-like-a-modern-day-mafia?src=newsletter

Total crap.

jvr826
03-24-2011, 03:12 PM
The article or the practice it talks about?

danewilson77
03-24-2011, 03:26 PM
The practice brutha.

pleasecorrupt
03-24-2011, 03:30 PM
I'd read the article if marcus wrote one. Accepted fact but its more interesting when you have concrete proof in front of you.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Some yelp fun for ya...

Thanks for the link, Jeff. I miss my journalism days.

If I was working at a national paper right now, I'd ask my editor for four weeks so that I could source my story properly. It would also give me time to figure out who is behind the reviews and how the compensation structure works.

iPad. Forum Runner. Still winning.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 03:50 PM
I'd read the article if marcus wrote one. Accepted fact but its more interesting when you have concrete proof in front of you.

That's one of the beautiful things about my old profession. If you read me on a regular basis, and I gained your trust, you wouldn't need as much in-your-face proof. You'd simply trust my work and realize that there is certainly smoke -- and likely fire.

Don't get me wrong, though. In your face, easily verified proof is always preferable. It's just difficult to get.

The reporter in jeff's story is chasing the story. The best reporters, who are really good, get in front of the story and break news. That's what I lived for.

iPad. Forum Runner. Still winning.

pyreguy
03-24-2011, 04:08 PM
So why don't you do that anymore. It seems like a passion of yours. Is that work scarce? I know journalism in general has taken a huge hit since '08...

Sent using alien technology and Forum Runner

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm weighing my options right now, lance. I could see myself going that way. I love investigational work. But I could easily apply for a job at kroll. Decisions, decisions.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

pyreguy
03-24-2011, 04:17 PM
If you love it you will never work a day in your life. But you know this :biggrin

Sent using alien technology and Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 04:39 PM
If you love it you will never work a day in your life. But you know this :biggrin

Sent using alien technology and Tapatalk

Very true. No doubt.

danewilson77
03-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Very true. No doubt.

Being an IR, would probably take you away from your family and Marcus Jr though.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 06:30 PM
You can't imagine how much of my damage is done with a phone, DW. Less travel than you think.

danewilson77
03-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Roger Boss. I think you're one helluva guy no matter what you do.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks, sir.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-24-2011, 07:34 PM
This thread got good Google traction today.

Johnmadd
03-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Wow, I have always been suspicious that employees of businesses made comments or rated their own businesses but never suspected hired guns. This should be on Dateline or something.

billschusteriv
03-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Nice thread Mark - I have been suspect of this for some time. Its a good display and note for all of us to be cautious.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-25-2011, 07:00 AM
Thanks, Bill. It's been on my mind for some time. Figured I have a forum now, so I can write the story up.

Were it not for some of these reviews, overall ratings would be even lower for some of these companies. Of course, it works the other way, too. We all know that competitors are busy writing negative reviews too. It's just screwed any way you look at it. We all have to do our best, if we do use reviews, to weigh the information.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Too bad for BMW of San Diego and others. My reviews are showing up on page one of Google searches.

danewilson77
03-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Nice Boss. Bump!

04ZHP_PDX
04-10-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm late on this thread...but it really pisses me off! If a company is getting bad reviews, that should be impetus for them to DO BETTER WORK not hire people to say that they do. I know that customer service and hard work are a thing of the past to most companies...but this is ridiculous.

Online reviews could work great for both the prospective client and the business, especially if the business actually takes the reviews to heart and works to make a change where change is needed. It's literally free research, right from the consumer's mouth!

Lazy people should not own businesses...PERIOD!! That's when this crap happens! Thanks for posting Marcus.

Marcus-SanDiego
04-10-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm late on this thread...but it really pisses me off! If a company is getting bad reviews, that should be impetus for them to DO BETTER WORK not hire people to say that they do. I know that customer service and hard work are a thing of the past to most companies...but this is ridiculous.

Online reviews could work great for both the prospective client and the business, especially if the business actually takes the reviews to heart and works to make a change where change is needed. It's literally free research, right from the consumer's mouth!

Lazy people should not own businesses...PERIOD!! That's when this crap happens! Thanks for posting Marcus.

Glad you found my post informational.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.