PDA

View Full Version : Re-code a used Instrument Cluster so that VIN and mileage match?

sum1orotha
06-22-2016, 09:11 AM
Hey guys, so my instrument cluster apparently has a short in it that is causing a few things to go wonky. Instead of waiting 3-4 weeks for a brand new one from germany (also would put me out $760+) I went ahead and purchased a used one off of ebay.

Now I'm wondering if someone can point me to how I can re-code the m35080 chip so that the VIN and mileage are correct so that the tamper dot doesn't get thrown.

I did a good amount of googling and it seems that my choices are either swapping out the chips in the two clusters (which involves desoldering and resoldering them both which sounds risky, especially since I haven't soldered anything since college) or I found an old thread (http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1983669-Recoding-Cluster-after-IKE-swap-(M35080-chip)) talking about using NCSExpert and even gives the register addresses to change.

Was hoping someone here can confirm if it's a) possible, b) what exactly I'll need to use NCSExpert to get it done, and c) where can I find the correct version of NCSExpert to use?

az3579
06-22-2016, 10:26 AM
Based on what Terra was posting, the only ways are swapping the chips or using a programmer. Either way it requires work with the chip. "no easy way"

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk

BMWCurves
06-22-2016, 11:42 AM
Terra's pretty busy but you could ask him if he could do it for you.

sum1orotha
06-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I shot terra a PM, hopefully he can help out otherwise seems as though I'll have to dust off the old soldering iron.

CarbonZHP
08-07-2016, 10:42 PM
I believe realignment can be done with PA Soft and NCS. Dont quote me