PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid Chart

derbo
06-22-2016, 02:50 PM
Someone on the interwebz made a nice chart for Brake fluid.

http://thebuildjournal.com/tech-guides/ultimate-brake-fluid-comparison-guide/

I really dig it. He also gathered a few information about the brake bias and random alignment/suspension tuning guides.

Oli77
06-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Nice, the castrol react wins with that boiling point. And i thought that blue stuff was the best!

derbo
06-22-2016, 06:11 PM
RT700 has amazing wet boiling point.

az3579
06-23-2016, 03:37 AM
Well it's also a matter of cost vs. performance. The ATE stuff seems to have the best value for the amount of fluid you get and its performance. It comes down to how often you change your brake fluid.

I do mine before every track event, sometimes 3 times per year, so I like to go with ATE. Never had an issue with it boiling.

wsmeyer
06-23-2016, 01:33 PM
It should also be noted that for cars with our ABS system BMW specifies DOT4LV - Low Viscosity brake fluid. It's about 30% thinner than DOT4 so using regular DOT4 may have a negative effect on ABS and traction control. Particularly those that drive in snow should carefully consider the pros and possible cons.

az3579
06-23-2016, 04:31 PM
It should also be noted that for cars with our ABS system BMW specifies DOT4LV - Low Viscosity brake fluid. It's about 30% thinner than DOT4 so using regular DOT4 may have a negative effect on ABS and traction control. Particularly those that drive in snow should carefully consider the pros and possible cons.

I can safely say that all of what you said isn't the case. I use ATE Type 200 year round. No negative effects.
Snow, daily, track - you name it - my braking system and traction system operate perfectly fine using regular DOT4.

wsmeyer
06-23-2016, 06:58 PM
That's anecdotal evidence. Curious why you think they specifically call for DOT4LV in our ABS system

az3579
06-24-2016, 05:01 AM
That's anecdotal evidence. Curious why you think they specifically call for DOT4LV in our ABS system

Anecdotal? Hardly - the evidence is in the experience. Countless people use non-LV brake fluid with no ill effects to the systems in the car. To say that the experience of so many people isn't evidence isn't reasonable.

Some things you just don't need testing for, such as being able to claim that E46 window regulators and sedan headlights in some E46 sedans are poorly designed, or that our M54s consume and/or leak oil like it's their job. Experience will tell us these things, and we don't need testing for that. These things are fact, too - it's not like any of these things are contested.

So, if the experience of many people tells me that LV fluid is not indeed a requirement, I will believe that over what a piece of paper tells me.

wsmeyer
06-24-2016, 02:55 PM
Observations in uncontrolled tests is about the weakest of evidence.

az3579
06-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Observations in uncontrolled tests is about the weakest of evidence.
Okay, keep thinking that.
I will continue to NOT boil my fluid on track and enjoy every minute of it.

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk

derbo
06-24-2016, 06:20 PM
Here is my take on it:

DOT4LV is only of a major concern because it keeps the viscosity low helps keep the viscosity consistent across a large temperature range, particularly the lower end of the spectrum. Our ABS and DCS system I believe use a time based valve approach to engage the brakes. Consistent viscocity similar to Factory helps ensuring the system performs as designed even in extreme temperatures.

That beind said, I had no evidence of poor braking performance with ATE Type 200 when consistently flushed.

terraphantm
06-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Here is my take on it:

DOT4LV is only of a major concern because it keeps the viscosity low helps keep the viscosity consistent across a large temperature range, particularly the lower end of the spectrum. Our ABS and DCS system I believe use a time based valve approach to engage the brakes. Consistent viscocity similar to Factory helps ensuring the system performs as designed even in extreme temperatures.

That beind said, I had no evidence of poor braking performance with ATE Type 200 when consistently flushed.

Yep, I think it's more a bigger issue in winter weather. DOT4 LV in sub zero temperatures will still be thicker than DOT4 at "normal" temperatures. In that year with the polar vortex, I did find my ABS to be less effective with ATE SuperBlue.

I personally now use DOT 5.1. Thinner than DOT4 (though slightly thicker than DOT4LV), but still higher boiling points. On my M3 which will no longer see winter weather, I will likely switch to Castrol SRF.

derbo
06-25-2016, 08:19 PM
Yep, I think it's more a bigger issue in winter weather. DOT4 LV in sub zero temperatures will still be thicker than DOT4 at "normal" temperatures. In that year with the polar vortex, I did find my ABS to be less effective with ATE SuperBlue.

I personally now use DOT 5.1. Thinner than DOT4 (though slightly thicker than DOT4LV), but still higher boiling points. On my M3 which will no longer see winter weather, I will likely switch to Castrol SRF.

Agreed on the lower temperatures. Being that I am in California, my ZHP has never seen snow. LOL

wsmeyer
06-26-2016, 12:55 PM
I didn't mean to start a big debate. I just wanted to point it out and for people to weigh the possible benefits vs possible drawbacks of using DOT4 vs DOT4LV. For those that track their cars the benefit of higher boiling temp could easily outweigh the drawbacks. Most of us don't track our cars though and higher boiling temp isn't a benefit at all, ABS / DSC not working optimally in snow is a huge drawback.