PDA

View Full Version : Fellow ZHP Family I call upon your infinite wisdom! Long Read Sorry!

BustedBoat
03-25-2011, 06:47 AM
Hello Everyone! First off I would like to apologize for by absence. I have been incredibly busy and unable to really be part of this community. Although I am but a novice with still very little posts I still want to extend my greetings to all the fellow new members that have come here during my all too long time of leave. With that said I would like some zhp related help.

The e39 bmw I currently own, well family car, is on it's last legs. Hell that's an understatement. Pops has offered for us to get a car of my choice, both myself and him would chip in and then pay it off over time. His prerequisites was that it had to be a bimmer and it had to be a four door. Chaching Jackpot. Zhp hole in one. What's the problem I'm sure you all think? The problem is if we do get the Zhp. Then for starters I'll lose the independence factor I have been gunning for all my life. It also won't be my own car as much as I'd want it to be. So putting goodies onto it would be quite limited. Another more important factor though is that me and pops don't exactly see eye to eye in a lot of things. So much that if we were to come to a disagreement in the foreseeable future, he could use the car as leverage in some way. I don't mean it in a way as me doing bad and he rightfully punishing me by taking away my driving privileges. But in the way that he could use it to gain the upper hand in whatever we don't see eye to eye in.

So should I take the chance? If i do, the car will be mine and i can do whatever I'd like as long as i kept family in mind. That obviously means no sound system T.T. Or other gadgets that could bother my parents or sister. I would love to take the car, just because it puts me ahead by 2 years at least since that would be the soonest i could get the car on my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Marcus-SanDiego
03-25-2011, 06:52 AM
BB, welcome back. Tough situation here.

On the one hand, you could get the car right away. On the other hand, there are some strings attached -- potentially.

How old are you? What kinds of problems could draw the ire of your dad? How likely will you not see eye to eye will pops? How long would it take to pay the car off (60-month loan?)?

One you've answered these questions, I can certainly weigh in with a more reasoned comment.

Welcome back. Glad to have you.

mimalmo
03-25-2011, 06:54 AM
What about you buying an old E30 or similar car with cash and then saving your own money up over a couple years for the car you really want?

BustedBoat
03-25-2011, 07:28 AM
I am currently 18 years old. I have a job at a catering hall where i get paid 9.25 under the table...shhh ;). Theoretically I can pull in about 10k a year. Of course it's not that easy when I am paying for my college education. Problems gee where do we start. Let's just say if there is a possible difference between us. It is there. We are completely opposite people. Only thing we have in common is soccer. And even that is a bit of a stretch. They paying off car, to be honest is something i have not completely figured out. But I know that both of us working on it can easily pay if off in less than 60 months. 350 a month, 36 months, would be doable for the both of us though.

Mimalmo, we need a car at this point though. Pops doesn't want to go too old either. And if I'm not getting a zhp I'd prefer not to get my own car at all.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-25-2011, 07:36 AM
BB, so you just have a tough situation. Sounds as though your biggest worry is the leverage your dad has on you whenever there is friction between you two.

The only thing that would worry me, as an 18 year old, is my initial investment. What happens if you guys blow up? Does he take the car? What happens to the money you've put into the car? You guys should draw up an agreement spelling out what happens if the car is ever taken from you.

If you guys can come to an understanding, then maybe I'd pull the trigger on the ZHP.

kayger12
03-25-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm old school, but I would save up and buy it myself. I've always been a very independent person, however, and don't like to be beholden to anybody for anything. Never took a penny from my parents and always prided myself on paying for things myself.

When I was 18 I needed $20k to get through flight school, so I bought and drove cheap garbage because my priority wasn't a car and I couldn't afford both. When I got a little older and more successful, I rewarded myself with a car that I WANTED to drive.

Bottom line is, if your old man is facilitating the car, then he will be in control (as he should be). If that seems unpalatable to you, then the choice is an easy one...

Mtnman
03-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Id say do it. You can mod it later. Look at my car. I have no mods that would not be acceptable in your situation. And I like my car the way it is.

az3579
03-25-2011, 08:18 AM
I personally have always believed that it is worth paying more for something to be your own. I agree 100% with what Keith was saying; there's more pride and independance to be had with buying it yourself.

I am very proud to have worked hard to own such an awesome automobile at only 22 (was 21 when purchased) that I can call my own, to do whatever I please with.

Sent from my DROIDX

spencers
03-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Don't take the chance. Buy it yourself.

mimalmo
03-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Mimalmo, we need a car at this point though. Pops doesn't want to go too old either. And if I'm not getting a zhp I'd prefer not to get my own car at all.

I'm a big advocate of getting your own wheels especially considering you are 18 because you'll be looking at being out on your own soon. That means you need a set of cheap, reliable wheels that you can learn to wrench on and afford parts. That's why I recommended getting an E30 and saving the money for a ZHP. It may not sound like fun but you will be much happier in the long run.

BustedBoat
03-25-2011, 10:40 AM
I highly appreciate everyone's comments and advice. I am very glad to hear I came to the right place for advice. There is definitely an outstanding group of people in this community. As it is, it looks like the better idea is to hold onto my own and buy the car, when I am fully capable of doing so. Sadly the kid in me really wishes i could get myself a zhp. On a happier note though. One of my life long dreams has always been to have a motorcycle license. (This thought came more from mimalmo) I may just cash in on a clunker motorcycle. They're much better on the money i hear. Pops will definitely be getting a car for himself whether it is with my assistance or not. So if it rains I guess i can always just take it instead. The suggestion of buying a car clunker i can learn on while good presents itself with an issue i forgot to mention. Parents do not want four cars under insurance. Bikes have much lighter insurance.

az3579
03-25-2011, 10:58 AM
That's why I recommended getting an E30 and saving the money for a ZHP. It may not sound like fun but you will be much happier in the long run.

May not sound like fun? You outta your mind?! E30's are nothing BUT fun! This is precisely what I did; the E30 was my first.

Sent from my DROIDX

mimalmo
03-25-2011, 11:05 AM
I know they are fun Botond. OP has aspirations of owning a ZHP though and an E30 isn't exactly what he had in mind when dreaming of a ZHP.

I still need to buy an E30; just waiting for the right one to come along. I missed out on a white 2 door with 124k for $600 a while ago. Still bugs me that I missed it.

danewilson77
03-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Take the "no strings attached" option

az3579
03-25-2011, 11:10 AM
I know they are fun Botond. OP has aspirations of owning a ZHP though and an E30 isn't exactly what he had in mind when dreaming of a ZHP.

I still need to buy an E30; just waiting for the right one to come along. I missed out on a white 2 door with 124k for $600 a while ago. Still bugs me that I missed it.

I originally wanted an E36; I didn't like E30's at all design-wise when I bought it, but I grew to love it and got completely hooked. I don't know of anyone who hated their E30.

It's an excellent alternative to some random POS while he saves for the ZHP.

Sent from my DROIDX

BustedBoat
04-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Alright everyone here is the low down. Mom came to me to talk to me about my decision of saying no. She told me the way it would work is that I am completely on my own. If I really needed the help then they'd step in. I would be responsible for paying them both back when i got the money in the future. Mom says because i am completely on my own pops can't use it against me.

kayger12
04-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Good decision.

Like.

danewilson77
04-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Love it BB. Nice choice.

Marcus-SanDiego
04-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Excellent.

BustedBoat
04-06-2011, 08:51 AM
So? I guess that means I'm on again for the car...sweet. I'm more excited than Oscar the grouch seeing everyone move out of sesame street.

danewilson77
04-06-2011, 08:54 AM
What was your budget again?