PDA

View Full Version : Business CD aux input keeps disconnecting

Dual
07-12-2016, 11:12 AM
I am using an iPhone 6s into an H/K Business CD connected as follows:
Phone lightning connector to USB to 12V lighter jack
Phone 1/8" plug to Aux in

With increasing frequency, the Aux input is unstable. It drops out and switches over to the radio seemingly at random. There is no particular sense of vibration or road bump associated with this. The iPhone has to be completely disconnected and reconnected before the Aux input becomes selectable and usable again.

I have swapped out iPhones, cables, the 12V USB adapter: nothing works. Caig Gold applied to the contact points may help (hard to tell) but not for long.

I installed the Aux input adapter in February. I know I did it correctly.

Suggestions? I'm going crazy here....

BMWCurves
07-12-2016, 03:24 PM
Is it the BMW aux input cable you have installed?

Dual
07-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Yes

derbo
07-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Yes

I'm going to bet that if you don't charge your iPhone while using the AUX, this doesn't happen. If that is true, You need a ground loop isolator (GLI).

Long story short, when you are charging your iPhone, the ground on the AUX cable is getting a voltage from sharing a ground w/ the power circuit on the iPhone. The AUX is designed to detect a ground to confirm a connection w/ an external device. If it doesn't see an external device (ie Ground has voltage), it will delete the AUX option on the headunit.

A ground loop isolator will help fix this.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-Isolator-System-Stereo/dp/B019393MV2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468382665&sr=8-3&keywords=ground+loop+isolator

I had this issue as well along with a larger buzz coming from the AUX whenever I plugged in my old iPhone4. A GLI fixed that for me.

Dual
07-13-2016, 03:06 AM
Thanks very much! I'll check right into that. Much appreciated.

Dual
07-13-2016, 03:38 AM
PS: I appreciate the technical explanation- it always helps to know what's going on.

derbo
07-17-2016, 08:25 PM
PS: I appreciate the technical explanation- it always helps to know what's going on.

No problem! Please report back if this fixes it for you. :)

Dual
07-18-2016, 06:00 AM
So far so good, but I haven't had much drive time as of yet. I'm kinda wondering if this is a tiny 1:1 transformer or just a ground lift. Do you know? If a ground lift, I could hardwire this and save some (always troublesome) jacks, and space.

Dual
07-20-2016, 08:45 AM
I have had no recurrences of the problem although I still haven't been driving a whole bunch. I think the problem is solved.

Thank you!!!!

papa_g
12-11-2018, 12:37 PM
Resurrecting old post. So has the problem returned after plugging in the ground loop isolator, or just not charging while playing music? I am looking for an aux cable that has a GLI built in, so that I have less wires and things potentially unplugging

Dual
12-11-2018, 12:55 PM
So has the problem returned after plugging in the ground loop isolator, or just not charging while playing music?With the isolator in place everything has behaved normally.

papa_g
12-11-2018, 03:52 PM
With the isolator in place everything has behaved normally.

nice :) I will look into buying one very soon. For now I am unable to find one that has a male plug on each end.

3LiterStraightSix
12-13-2018, 05:49 AM
This is so funny that this thread was just revived. I literally started experiencing this issue yesterday when charging at the same time.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

3LiterStraightSix
12-13-2018, 05:55 AM
Another option for you guys, which i usually use but died on me (hence why i ran into the aux problem), is a bluetooth receiver. I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Bluetooth-Receiver-Streaming-Compatible/dp/B01J5DYWTW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544709256&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ugreen+bluetooth+receiver&dpPl=1&dpID=41DwCW0HGsL&ref=plSrch

It is amazing. The sound quality is top notch, and even acts as a mini bass boost (if you're into that)

papa_g
12-13-2018, 06:45 PM
Nice, I started looking into bluetooth devices that plug into the aux because of this. Would you say sound quality is as good as aux? I am somewhat of an audiophile, so this is important to me.

3ZHPGUY
12-13-2018, 06:53 PM
I have a converter in mine that is wired directly. It’s old school with a headphone plugin

Post#7 is what I have.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-565.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dual
12-15-2018, 09:51 AM
Nice, I started looking into bluetooth devices that plug into the aux because of this. Would you say sound quality is as good as aux? I am somewhat of an audiophile, so this is important to me. Retired audio engineer here. Most people who care about audio quality will argue that the conversions involved, plus the nature of the Bluetooth protocols, argue strongly for a direct connection.

3LiterStraightSix
12-15-2018, 10:01 AM
Nice, I started looking into bluetooth devices that plug into the aux because of this. Would you say sound quality is as good as aux? I am somewhat of an audiophile, so this is important to me.I can confidently say that the sound quality is identical to when I plug my phone directly to the head unit.I know that there is science involved, and technically a direct connection should have better quality, but the difference with this unit is unnoticeable.

papa_g
12-16-2018, 11:15 PM
decided to buy a nice aux cord with a 90º connection. Gold plated and oxygen-free copper. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y67RRZZ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Currently working on replacing the coin-carousel with a 12v source and aux input. Taking pics as I go so I can post a DIY. As far as I am aware, no one has done this yet :)