PDA

View Full Version : Spacer Quality Question

ef_michael
07-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Hey guys,
So i've ordered a set of vmr v703 wheels in the staggered 19x8.5 et40 and 19x9.5 et 45. I figure the fitment wont be as aggressive as id like so im looking into ordering a set of 5mm spacers. My problem is, I did not expect spacers to be so expensive for brand names. Ive also come accross not so known brands that make spacers that are alot cheaper price wise. My question is, is it a big deal to not spend the big bucks to go with a known manufacturer? Right now I have the opportunity to buy a set of 5mm spacers without bolts for 55 dollars. Im just not sure if I should pull the trigger. Another thing I am taking into consideration is the fact that I may go to 10mm spacers in the back or squared (not sure).

Looking forward to your help for a noob guys! lol

Michael

az3579
07-25-2016, 12:52 PM
As is the case with many products, you get what you pay for, IMO.

Consider whether the spacer will rust, break (while trying to remove a stuck one), have notches for easier removal, etc.

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk

wsmeyer
07-25-2016, 01:07 PM
I'd agree with Botond for larger hubcentric spacers but 5mm is just a shim. Go with the cheapest.

slater
07-25-2016, 01:17 PM
I'd agree with Botond for larger hubcentric spacers but 5mm is just a shim. Go with the cheapest.

true, but you NEED longer bolts, and they need to be of good quality. otherwise you are asking for trouble. and you don't want that kind of trouble.

Sockethead
07-25-2016, 01:33 PM
I agree 5mm of threads is a lot on a bolt that is going to be under that much stress

wsmeyer
07-25-2016, 01:34 PM
true, but you NEED longer bolts, and they need to be of good quality. otherwise you are asking for trouble. and you don't want that kind of trouble.

I agree but he said he was buying them without bolts.

wsmeyer
07-25-2016, 01:35 PM
I agree 5mm of threads is a lot on a bolt that is going to be under that much stress

On a hubcentric setup their is no shear force on the bolts, only tensile so the length of the bolt doesn't really matter.

Sockethead
07-25-2016, 02:58 PM
I'm old school. I always want a lot of threads... hard lessons learned long ago

ef_michael
07-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Oh damn, didn't think extended bolts were needed for 5mm?

wsmeyer
07-25-2016, 07:34 PM
Somebody might know for stock wheels but you're really going to need to measure for aftermarket or be safe and get longer bolts. To measure you would mount the wheel and torque 4 of the bolts to spec. Turn the 5th with your fingers until it just grabs, then put a mark on the bolt and very carefully count how many turns it takes to torque it to spec. Then remove the bolt and as an example, if it took 8 turns, measure the distance of 8 threads, that's how far it went into your flange. For maximum strength, it is very important that the bolt goes all the way through the flange, hopefully someone has one they can measure as you would need to remove the brake disc to measure it. Let's assume it's 8mm thick, you would want at least 9mm as measured above.

Sockethead
07-25-2016, 07:45 PM
Or just get studs... :)

wsmeyer
07-25-2016, 07:49 PM
Or just get studs... :)

+1

ef_michael
07-25-2016, 09:50 PM
man, lol. OK. In that case, anyone know of any reasonably priced spacers of good quality that come with bolts? Ill probably be ordering a set from ecs. Is the ecs brand any good? (https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Wheels/Spacers/ECS/5mm/ES205203/)

Now im starting to wonder if I can get away with 10mm in the rear and 5mm in the front or even 10 all around with my set up

The setup I will be running is 19x8.5 et40 and 9.5et45 with 235/35 and 255/30 in the rear with rolled fenders

slater
07-26-2016, 05:06 AM
check out bimmian.com, they are canadian-based and you don't have to deal with duty and stuff. they have small spacers and bolts, i bought a set of 3mm spacers w/ bolts from them and they were decent quality.

rkneeshaw
07-26-2016, 06:04 PM
with 5mm spacers you need hub extenders. The 5mm pushes the wheel out and it wont center on the hub properly and you'll get vibrations in your steering wheel (I know from experience). PLUS extra force on those wheel bolts that now have 5mm less thread in the hub is not a good thing.

I suggest if you are going to do the 5mm spacers you at least get hub extenders or longer wheel bolts, preferably both.

wsmeyer
07-26-2016, 06:21 PM
I can't remember if it's front or rear but one end you can't use extenders as the inside of the flange is dished.

Sockethead
07-27-2016, 05:57 AM
I can't remember if it's front or rear but one end you can't use extenders as the inside of the flange is dished.

I'm pretty sure its the rear

sillieidiot
07-27-2016, 05:21 PM
with 5mm spacers you need hub extenders. The 5mm pushes the wheel out and it wont center on the hub properly and you'll get vibrations in your steering wheel (I know from experience). PLUS extra force on those wheel bolts that now have 5mm less thread in the hub is not a good thing.

I suggest if you are going to do the 5mm spacers you at least get hub extenders or longer wheel bolts, preferably both.

I second this. Had a lot of vibration when I didn't have my extenders.

I'm pretty sure its the rear

Yep it's the rear. The hub extenders cost so much though. I mean it's easy to make, I could machine it myself if I had the tools. But at least the turners are black which is nice.

ef_michael
07-29-2016, 07:37 PM
Hmm alot of people are telling me id need extended and alot of people are also telling me id be fine with using hubcentric 5mm spacers without extended lugs..

I guess safer to go with em'

wsmeyer
07-29-2016, 07:45 PM
Hubcentric spacers start at 12mm

sillieidiot
07-30-2016, 09:35 PM
Hmm alot of people are telling me id need extended and alot of people are also telling me id be fine with using hubcentric 5mm spacers without extended lugs..

I guess safer to go with em'

Yeah you need the extended. There are no hubcentric 5mm spacers. Get the hub extenders if you're putting them on in the front.