PDA

View Full Version : Redline Water wetter really works!

toddztoyz
07-25-2016, 09:26 PM
Ok so it was time to replace the cooling system on my 138k mile 06. I did metal impeller water pump, new fan clutch, new thermostat with housing, new hoses including heater hoses and belts. I decided to try the Redline water wetter product from Orielly Autoparts. Living in South Alabama where we typically see high 90 to low 100 degree days, i thought this might be good. I read where it works best when used with straight distilled water and when used with it will provide maximum cooling ability and great anti corrosion benefits.

The results are outstanding, well ok i did create a different problem. Because the car fully warmed up will only reach 174 degrees, sometimes i get a service engine soon light as the DME prefers it be above 180. Mostly this happens when we have one of those rare cooler days. This fall i will add antifreeze to the mix to protect it from freezing!

Todd

az3579
07-26-2016, 05:06 AM
The stock cooling system actually does a great job with cooling. I'm not sure how Water Wetter does with winter temperatures, but I'm not sure I'd want to do a cooling system flush twice a year just to prepare for winter and summer. The stock setup is just fine.

The times I hear about Water Wetter being very useful is when there are certain race events that don't allow coolant use, so people would just use water with Water Wetter instead.

Vas
07-26-2016, 05:31 AM
Redline Water Wetter is some good stuff.

You do get the best results using it as a 50/50 mixture ( distilled water and Water Wetter ) but it can be added as mixture to a system with antifreeze. Not only does it drop the temps but it provides protection against rust when using it with straight water.

slater
07-26-2016, 06:18 AM
The stock cooling system actually does a great job with cooling. I'm not sure how Water Wetter does with winter temperatures, but I'm not sure I'd want to do a cooling system flush twice a year just to prepare for winter and summer. The stock setup is just fine.

agreed, i used to run water wetter in previous cars that would run really hot (VW VR6's, honda B-series motors), and got good results there. but our cooling system does a great job, when i did the cooling system refresh i saw no need to use it.

You do get the best results using it as a 50/50 mixture ( distilled water and Water Wetter ) but it can be added as mixture to a system with antifreeze. Not only does it drop the temps but it provides protection against rust when using it with straight water.

that's cool, i didn't know that!

johnrando
07-26-2016, 09:39 AM
agreed, i used to run water wetter in previous cars that would run really hot (VW VR6's, honda B-series motors), and got good results there. but our cooling system does a great job, when i did the cooling system refresh i saw no need to use it.

that's cool, i didn't know that!
:biggrin

derbo
07-26-2016, 10:15 PM
Water wetter is what I use in my car because it is great for the track. Like BP said, in the event of a cooling system spill, it isn't glycol-based and will be must easier to clean up on the track. I also like the anti-corrosive properties in it when you use 100% distilled water w/ no coolant.

WOLFN8TR
07-31-2016, 08:32 AM
I swear by this stuff! I started using it in my dirtbikes years ago. Out here in the desert it gets up to 100-115 degrees during the summer. I used it in my ZHP and now in my M3. I see a lot of guys over on the M3 Forum that live in Las Vegas complaining about over heating during the summer. So far the last two summers I haven't had one problem with over heating even when we had a few days of 120 degrees!!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160731/4fadf5f20650cea27e808903799b5c76.jpg

Pip
07-31-2016, 10:54 AM
Gary I can't believe your oil temp is only at noon in that heat. You must have been driving like a sane person. I split noon and the first dot in 100 degree weather and had my first coolant temp creep when redlining 2nd the other day. I immediately pulled back and turned off the A/C and the needle pulled back within a couple seconds. Good to know it works but maybe it was relaxing before I decided to run through the gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOLFN8TR
07-31-2016, 12:28 PM
Ya I guess I'm lucky from what I read on the forums. Guys in Vegas having issues in this heat and my M3 is running fine. The highest coolant temp I've seen was 208 sitting in traffic with the AC on. Guys saying they have SMG problems when the temps are 90 and above, me not one problem so far even in the 120 degree heat wave! Maybe I'm just lucky so far, hopefully it lasts. I don't get on it too hard when it's this hot thou, I just cruise so maybe that helps. [emoji41]