PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here Leatherique'd?

Cadeez
03-26-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm told this stuff is the cat's pajamas, yet I've never seen a car that has been treated nor have I known someone personally that has used it. Anyone here vouch for it? I've read up on it, two step process, sounds pretty straight forward. Seems like a decent deal for the cleaner and rejuvinator oil, just would like to get some feedback from you guys. Could lead to a new DIY thread...

MrMaico
03-26-2011, 04:38 PM
I've used it....works great! It changed my seats from almost looking and feeling like fake leather to the real thing. Here are some pics Jeff took of his. The pics speak for themselves.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8733184@N05/sets/72157622626510334/show/

az3579
03-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Can this stuff be used easily on a steering wheel? I have the coveted leather steering wheel but want to retain its excellent condition, so I was considering this for the wheel and the arm rest.

MrMaico
03-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Can this stuff be used easily on a steering wheel? I have the coveted leather steering wheel but want to retain its excellent condition, so I was considering this for the wheel and the arm rest.

Sure, just use a small sponge to keep it only where you want it. It looks like Jeff did his wheel.

SC4ME
03-27-2011, 06:35 AM
I would never oil my steering wheel. Just seems like a bad idea.

Besides, I still have the alcantera wheel so oil would be a very bad idea!!!

az3579
03-27-2011, 06:55 AM

Doesn't excess oil get taken off? How would you care for a leather steering wheel?

Sent from my DROIDX

danewilson77
03-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Actually....that leatherique should be fine....using all the steps that M0nk3y outlined. It should all soak in.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

MrMaico
03-27-2011, 07:02 AM

You've obviously never used it. It doesn't leave oil on anything. My seats were softer/grippier after treating. In other words they hold me in place better under hard cornering. Not oily at all after the 2nd step......the Pristine Clean.

From their website......(c&p...I'm not yelling :biggrin)

PLEASE NOTE that there is NO OIL in the Rejuvinator Oil that name is from the 1960's when people EXPECTED an OIL for their Leather. Hence the name change to LEATHER REJUVINATOR.

Washburn
03-27-2011, 07:13 AM
From all I know it should be fine for steering wheels, but I want to protect my coveted leather wheel 100% from oil, perspiration, etc, and I know from experience, that even if one takes pretty good care of it, the leather WILL eventually fade and become white and brittle - Just ask my Tbird's leather wheel.

So the only way to protect it, is to eliminate touching it :) - drive with gloves on, OR get a decent steering wheel cover - that's what I did - of course make sure you clean AND DRY the wheel really well before putting it on. It makes the wheel a bit thicker and grippier, too, which i like, and while it may not be cosmetically 100% elegant, the feeling that I KNOW that my leather wheel remains in good shape makes me happy. If I was in a show-off situation I can always take the cover off easily. Not bad for $9 :) I think it looks pretty damn decent:
(NOTE: the cover fits and sits perfectly and symmetrically on the wheel - the area at 8 or 9 o' clock looks a bit off because I accidentally rubbed against the cover and pushed it to the left - didn't notice it till i saw the pics)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/DSC_0154.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/DSC_0155.jpg

M0nk3y
03-27-2011, 07:56 AM
I think this is where I step in...

I've done it on my E46 and the E86. I love it. Very easy to use.

I've done it on my steering wheel, door panels, shift boot...everything leather..noting greasy or oily.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1489-M0nk3y-Detailed-BMW-Z4M-Interior-Leatherique-Write-Up

Gheybe
03-27-2011, 08:53 AM
I vouch for their Dye.

jvr826
03-27-2011, 09:00 AM
It's outstanding stuff. Search and you'll find some more info here, as well as a place to buy it that doesn't soak you on shipping like a Leatherique direct purchase.

Pics of my results...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8733184@N05/sets/72157622626510334/

gr330zhp
03-27-2011, 01:57 PM
I have used it numerous times before, it works incredibly well!!

Kyle's pics show quite a bit of a difference it makes

Cadeez
03-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Awesome info, pics and links guys, thanks a ton for the feedback. I'll be doing this in the coming months, DIY and/or pics to come. I'll probably stay away from the steering wheel though, but I'm sure my driver & passenger seats will appreciate the love.

nk_zhp
03-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Another consumer of theirs here. Very happy with it. Though I am no detailing expert.

az3579
03-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Looks like I'm going to be buying some Leatherique for my steering wheel and arm rest. :)

johnrando
03-28-2011, 06:39 AM
From all I know it should be fine for steering wheels, but I want to protect my coveted leather wheel 100% from oil, perspiration, etc, and I know from experience, that even if one takes pretty good care of it, the leather WILL eventually fade and become white and brittle - Just ask my Tbird's leather wheel.

So the only way to protect it, is to eliminate touching it :) - drive with gloves on, OR get a decent steering wheel cover - that's what I did - of course make sure you clean AND DRY the wheel really well before putting it on. It makes the wheel a bit thicker and grippier, too, which i like, and while it may not be cosmetically 100% elegant, the feeling that I KNOW that my leather wheel remains in good shape makes me happy. If I was in a show-off situation I can always take the cover off easily. Not bad for $9 :) I think it looks pretty damn decent:
(NOTE: the cover fits and sits perfectly and symmetrically on the wheel - the area at 8 or 9 o' clock looks a bit off because I accidentally rubbed against the cover and pushed it to the left - didn't notice it till i saw the pics)

Which steering wheel cover is it and where did you get it?

danewilson77
03-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Late to the party here....but just thought I would throw out there the Euro perforated cover from www.wheelskinz.com

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Washburn
03-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Johnrando: I just got a $9.00 Bell "inside black" cover from Walmart :biggrin - it works fine for the purpose and looks hell of a lot better than $9 (Thanks to M54Dave for the tip)

Dane: if i should become dissatisfied with the cover at any point, Wheelskins EuroPerf will be my next go-to - it requires a lot of patience, and anything less than 100% fir would look ungainly, but I will give it a try if I notice any ill effects from the cover on my wheel.

johnrando
03-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Late to the party here....but just thought I would throw out there the Euro perforated cover from www.wheelskinz.com

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Close up pic of your steering wheel cover Dane?

Washburn
03-28-2011, 07:54 AM
With Wheelskins, what I am really concerned about are the 3 VERY WIDE spokes on our wheels - the Wheelskins are stitched around wheel, and i am almost sure that the it will be gaping open at the spokes, as there's no other force except the stitching to keep it around the st. wheel.
This is what I mean: it is gaping open at the bottom - Look at the bottom spoke. If I can do it without that happening on our wheels, it will be great

http://www.wheelskins.com/images/gallery/EuroPerf-Black-Perf-Grey-on-Hyundai-Wheel.jpg

But then again, on THIS one, it looks perfect:

http://www.wheelskins.com/images/gallery/51.%20EuroPerf%20Sea%20Blue-Black%20on%20VW%20Wheel.jpg

danewilson77
03-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Close up pic of your steering wheel cover Dane?

Copy...hang tight.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

danewilson77
03-28-2011, 08:41 AM
This was taken within 24 hours or doing it.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Imola%20Bimmer/DSC03395sz1200.jpg

You can make it look perfect if you take your time.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

johnrando
03-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Wow, great pic. Looks perfect.

danewilson77
03-28-2011, 08:50 AM
It looks good enough. The small amount of bunching, in that pic, is now barely noticeable. Like I said...the key to this is patience, and a nice tight wrap. Its only as good s the amount of time you spend with it. If you get it right, I think it looks even better than the oem leather wheel, and its even fatter.....

Droid! Srs Legitness!

az3579
03-28-2011, 08:53 AM
If you get it right, I think it looks even better than the oem leather wheel, and its even fatter.....

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Having an OEM leather wheel, I beg to differ. :p

Sent from my DROIDX

Washburn
03-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Dane, did you have to measure the wheel and custom size that cover or did you choose one one the available sizes? Any chance of remembering the measurements?
where did you order it from?

danewilson77
03-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Yes....I had to measure the diameter of the wheel, then send them measurement on the diameter. I think it was 4.25".....I think that's what I ordered. I called them with the measurement. They were very helpful, and I got exactly what I ordered.

Droid! Srs Legitness!