PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Questions

Adi
09-14-2016, 10:11 AM
Dear Zhp friends,

I am aware that this is quite a well discussed topic and have done quite a bit of searching and reading across a few forums as to what the options are for bluetooth calls as well as A2DP streaming. My questions are about the nuances of some the avialable options which aren't always specifically referred to in the existing threads and reviews.

Having seen how nice it can be to have both bluetooth calls and A2DP streaming in a newer vehicle of mine, I'd really like to have bluetooth in my recently acquired E46.

My car is a 2004 european spec 330i M-sport which is not prewired for bluetooth as far as I can tell. Unlucky. I currently have a connects2 device that allows me to plug in my iPhone to play music, and the volume and track skipping buttons work on both the steering wheel and headunit. Brilliant.

I am fine with the wired solution that I currently have to play music from my phone, so my priority is mostly on getting bluetooth phone call support.

My research indicated the following are options:

1) OEM Bluetooth retrofit (bimmernav).
This would be great in that if would give perfect OEM integration, where the radio automatically mutes, the caller shows on teh radio screen and the call quality is good. For a car that is not prewired, it is something like 800USD though from bimmernav.

2) Parrot CK3000 + connects steering wheel control
This seemed like the perfect option as it looks like it behaves almost identically to the OEM system where the radio automatically mutes when you get a phone call, and the steering wheel buttons work, etc. I've been a bit put off by reading that the call quality is not great though. It also doesnt support A2DP streaming, but that is not the end of the world for me.

Questions:
Would this work in addition to my connects2 ipod connection?
How bad is the call quality while driving? Maybe if I mount the microphone on the steering column the quality will be better?

3) Connects2 CTABMBT007
Again I thought this would be the perfect device to replace my existing ipod connection. It supports A2DP streaming, and you can skip tracks on your phone using the steering wheel/headunit track up/down buttons while it is streaming, so quite OEM-like. It also supports bluetooth phone calls. The only problem is that when you get a phonecall, if you are listening to the radio, then you would need to manually change the source to the device (cd changer) to take the call. That kind of ruins it for me.. i want the system to handle a call automatically. If only it behaved like the parrot systems in this case.

4) Parrot MKi9000
Again, I thought I had found the perfect solution where the call quality is improved over the CK3000, and unit automatically takes over when you receive a call, and the UNIKA for steering wheel controls and supports A2DP streaming as an added benefit. That is until I read the following from this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1102103

"Note: When you´re streaming music from your phone, your radio basically locks out, you cannot control music volume using the knob, only the steering wheel buttons work, also you cannot access audio options, change audio source etc. but there is a solution for this if you want the MKi9000 to route the music through the standard bmw aux in port (speed vol enabled) and handle calls as usual. (i will post that later). "

He never did post what the solution to that was, and i dont like the fact that when im streaming music or on the phone, the radio locks out and only the steering wheel controls work (which then control the parrot device). I want to be able to cycle between sources and change volume on the headunit always.

5) GROM, Dice, etc.. I have not looked into these in great detail but my understanding is that you have to manually switch the source to them if you want to take a phone call over bluetooth, so similar constraint to the Connects2 device.

It seems that only teh parrot systems can mute / take control of the system when a phone call comes through.

I know I am being fanatical about the details, but these little things really matter to me and attribute the overall experience. I dont like these systems (like the parrot 9000) which where they are almost their own system on their own, and you can wade through their own menus and things are complicated. I really just want an OEM-like solution where if im listening to the Radio, and a phone call comes through, it mutes and allows me to answer using one easy button. And the radio volume can still be controlled while in bluetooth mode etc.

A2DP streaming is really nice, but I can live without it as the options which support it all have some kind of compromise in the details (Connects2, parrot 9000).

So, advice?

fw_fw
09-14-2016, 12:04 PM
another option: replacing the headunit with an aftermarket unit with BT & A2DP. This can vary from your normal Pioneer/Alpine/JVC/Kenwood/etc. type of headunits to an Eonon/Dynavin/etc. Android/WindowCE based E46 specific unit

slater
09-14-2016, 01:51 PM
3) Connects2 CTABMBT007
Again I thought this would be the perfect device to replace my existing ipod connection. It supports A2DP streaming, and you can skip tracks on your phone using the steering wheel/headunit track up/down buttons while it is streaming, so quite OEM-like. It also supports bluetooth phone calls. The only problem is that when you get a phonecall, if you are listening to the radio, then you would need to manually change the source to the device (cd changer) to take the call. That kind of ruins it for me.. i want the system to handle a call automatically. If only it behaved like the parrot systems in this case.

first off, thanks for taking the effort to post all of this info - it sounds awesome, and i really like the sound of the Connects2 unit you mentioned above - personally, i never listen to the radio so that bit above doesn't bother me.

one unit that someone here mentioned a while back, is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181863204665?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

i haven't bought one yet, but it appears to do everything the Connects2 unit does, and perhaps it's the one you're looking for?

another option: replacing the headunit with an aftermarket unit with BT & A2DP. This can vary from your normal Pioneer/Alpine/JVC/Kenwood/etc. type of headunits to an Eonon/Dynavin/etc. Android/WindowCE based E46 specific unit

yeah, i've thought about those units but some folks like the stock head unit. :) i do - it's simple, it works, and i personally can't stand the big screen at night. too bright. i have very light-sensitive eyes, so any light in the car at night impacts my outward visibility.

fw_fw
09-14-2016, 02:06 PM
yeah, i've thought about those units but some folks like the stock head unit. :) i do - it's simple, it works, and i personally can't stand the big screen at night. too bright. i have very light-sensitive eyes, so any light in the car at night impacts my outward visibility.

The Dynavin has an Autodimmer that can dim the display with the headlights coming on.....

I don't have one either, as a GROM & iPhone mount for under $200 provides the same functionality plus keeps the stock look, which I like as well ;)

johnrando
09-14-2016, 02:30 PM
I had the Parrot 31XX and the Connects2, worked just fine but I do have a vert so it was not the best for them to hear me, but when top was up it was OK... not great, but workable. Probably if you did heavy wheel time with tons of calls, it might not be best. But for the occasional call it was fine. I also had the DICE unit with that, and mine worked fine too, again not heavy use. Selecting songs off the menu was not great, but you could do it off the iPod so that was ok. This should probably be in our ICE section but I'll leave it here for the best visibility then move it later.

Adi
09-14-2016, 10:16 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, they are indeed an option. I must admit, all the android based units I find terrible, as the OS is just not optimized for the in-car use case. Obviously it is my opinion. The Dynavin N6 is probably teh best of the bunch because it just does a few things quite well.. the only thing that puts me off it is the cost and the awful sheen that the screen has. If the N6 had the same glare resistance and brightness as the Mk4 OEM nav, it would be prefect.

Adi
09-14-2016, 10:17 PM
Oh, and I also want to keep things looking as OEM as possible, so that rules out the non-chinese aftermarket headunits.

Adi
09-14-2016, 10:19 PM
one unit that someone here mentioned a while back, is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181863204665?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

i haven't bought one yet, but it appears to do everything the Connects2 unit does, and perhaps it's the one you're looking for?

If this unit does auto muting when a phone call comes through then it would be perfect. Thank you for the suggestion.

slater
09-15-2016, 06:11 AM
If this unit does auto muting when a phone call comes through then it would be perfect. Thank you for the suggestion.

to clarify, the Connects2 unit does this when playing music via bluetooth, correct? just not when using the radio/CD?

Adi
09-15-2016, 07:13 AM
to clarify, the Connects2 unit does this when playing music via bluetooth, correct? just not when using the radio/CD?

I believe so, yes.

slater
09-15-2016, 09:55 AM
I believe so, yes.

hmmm... i found this install video for the Connects2 product, and the narrator specifies that the head unit must be in 'CD changer' mode to receive a handsfree call (or, it would seem, make a handsfree call) - this seems to make sense though as the Connects2 device not only plugs in via the CD changer port, but also likely only has power/authority at that point. this likely won't be an issue for me, but at least hopefully you have an answer now! and, perhaps, this will also ring true (ha, sorry...) for the zemex unit i referenced above, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF7fIL29Vt8

Adi
09-15-2016, 10:04 AM
hmmm... i found this install video for the Connects2 product, and the narrator specifies that the head unit must be in 'CD changer' mode to receive a handsfree call (or, it would seem, make a handsfree call) - this seems to make sense though as the Connects2 device not only plugs in via the CD changer port, but also likely only has power/authority at that point. this likely won't be an issue for me, but at least hopefully you have an answer now! and, perhaps, this will also ring true (ha, sorry...) for the zemex unit i referenced above, as well.

The Zemex is proving difficult to research online, because the only threads are on german forums. Ive used google translate to trawl through a few of them and it sounds like quite a good product. The advantage over the Connects2 unit is that it supports 3.5mm AUX and native iPod connections if you want those options as well.

The Ebay link you posted above does specifically say, "...Bluetooth Handsfree integrated with external microphone and mute circuit (depending on model)". I have emailed the eBay seller and zemex.de and asked them a few questions about it to try and get clarity.

slater
09-15-2016, 10:07 AM
The Zemex is proving difficult to research online, because the only threads are on german forums. Ive used google translate to trawl through a few of them and it sounds like quite a good product. The advantage over the Connects2 unit is that it supports 3.5mm AUX and native iPod connections if you want those options as well.

The Ebay link you posted above does specifically say, "...Bluetooth Handsfree integrated with external microphone and mute circuit (depending on model)". I have emailed the eBay seller and zemex.de and asked them a few questions about it to try and get clarity.

excellent. if you find it does offer the kind of integration you're after, please let me know, as then i will likely go for that unit as well (if not i'll pursue the Connects2 unit).

fw_fw
09-15-2016, 11:02 AM
I've got the Zemex in my E46, the GROM in my E39.

IMO.....Forget the Zemex. Never could get the USB or 3.5mm jack to work right, but since my main use was BT & A2DP, it works okay with that. Steering wheel control is the other difference, the GROM also allows Siri (via the sneezing man button) and Call pickup (via the FWD/Back) buttons) on the left. GROM also has a much wider installed base along with a manufacturer that does provide support.

slater
09-15-2016, 11:56 AM

IMO.....Forget the Zemex. Never could get the USB or 3.5mm jack to work right, but since my main use was BT & A2DP, it works okay with that. Steering wheel control is the other difference, the GROM also allows Siri (via the sneezing man button) and Call pickup (via the FWD/Back) buttons) on the left. GROM also has a much wider installed base along with a manufacturer that does provide support.

great info, thanks frank! which GROM unit do you have?

EDIT: i guess it's the BT3.

fw_fw
09-15-2016, 01:59 PM
great info, thanks frank! which GROM unit do you have?

EDIT: i guess it's the BT3.

Correct.....BT3

Adi
09-15-2016, 09:42 PM

Interesting.. so presumably you've had issues with getting support from Zemex? What is the quality of the A2DP streaming on the zemex like? And what is the quality of the phone handsfree? Does the headunit need to be in CD Changer mode to take a phone call or will it switch to teh zemex from another source automatically?

fw_fw
09-16-2016, 05:16 AM
Interesting.. so presumably you've had issues with getting support from Zemex?

Email: no response (and the email I sent was in German as I am fluent)
Website: minimal, more info available on German BMW enthusiast sites
Instructions: barely useful

What is the quality of the A2DP streaming on the zemex like? And what is the quality of the phone handsfree?

Both good sound wise, GROM works better with steering wheel controls

Does the headunit need to be in CD Changer mode to take a phone call or will it switch to teh zemex from another source automatically?

Yes, all the units (Zemex, GROM, etc.) that plug into the CD Changer harness must be in CD Changer mode to do anything with. Makes sense as no CD changer I've ever heard of could send an interrupt signal back to the headunit to make it swap modes.

Adi
09-16-2016, 05:24 AM
Yes, all the units (Zemex, GROM, etc.) that plug into the CD Changer harness must be in CD Changer mode to do anything with. Makes sense as no CD changer I've ever heard of could send an interrupt signal back to the headunit to make it swap modes.

I wonder what makes the Parrot units different then..?

fw_fw
09-16-2016, 06:39 AM
I wonder what makes the Parrot units different then..?

I had one a Parrot unit in a Hyundai Sonata about 8 years ago, Parrot units take the Headunit output and controls/processes it and reamplifies to the amp/speakers. GROM/Zemex are an input into the Headunit. Old-school ASCII diagram to follow:

GROM/Zemex

GROM/ZEMEX --> CD Input of Headunit --> HK Amp --> Speakers

Parrot

Headunit --> Parrot --> HK Amp --> Speakers

-----

In other words Parrot uses the Headunit as input, with GROM/Zemex the Headunit uses the GROM/Zemex as input. Due to that, the Parrot will have lesser sound quality, as every time you reamplify a signal more noise is introduced. The good news for Parrot is that with this configuration it is a lot easier to integrate with all kinds of headunits from many different manufacturers

Adi
09-16-2016, 06:53 AM
Frank,

Thank you very much for all your input. It looks like maybe I should just let go of the need for the FM Radio to automatically mute when a phone call comes in. In which case the Connects2 Device is probably the one I would go for.

Adi
09-23-2016, 01:37 AM
Just adding in the link to the thread that discusses Frank's experience with the Zemex: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?18254-Zemex-Bluetooth-for-factory-HU&highlight=zemex

I will probably buy the Connects2 product: http://www.incarconnections.co.uk/bmw-bluetooth-adapter-streaming-and-calls/bmw-bluetooth-adapter-for-streaming-and-hands-free-calls-ctabmbt007-17-round-pin-connector.html

Will post a review when I get it.

Adi
12-04-2016, 03:27 AM
Hi Guys,

I thought I would bump this thread. I have finally received the Connects2 bluetooth adaptor and I have just installed it.

I have only tested it while stationary in the car, but so far it does everything the product promised. Bluetooth music streaming works well with seemingly good audio quality. The steering wheel and head unit controls work for skipping tracks. I made a phone call to my friend and he could hear me fine, but I will have to see how well it works when I am actually driving.

So far, very happy. Will post some more thoughts after I have used it properly in the real world.

BMWCurves
12-04-2016, 06:48 AM
Thanks for checking in and giving an update! I'm idly looking for a decent BT option, this might be one route I go.

Adi
12-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Thanks for checking in and giving an update! I'm idly looking for a decent BT option, this might be one route I go.

I'd like to test it thoroughly before giving a final verdict.... things like pairing reliability etc.

Adi
12-08-2016, 05:37 AM
OK an update after a few days of real-world use.

My iPhone 5S pairs every time the ignition is switched on without fault. No issues here.
Bluetooth music streaming is reliable, and works nicely.
I have taken some phone-calls while driving, and the other called could hear me fine, but I was in the city at low speeds. Not sure how call quality is at highway speeds. I have mounted the microphone at the top of the A-pillar, angled perfectly towards me. I also sit quite far forward because I have short legs.

The only issue I am having is the following. The first time I switch to the unit (ie cycle the radio into CD Shuttle mode), the track up/down buttons on both the steering wheel and headunit do not work. I can easily solve this by cycling to radio and back to the cd shuttle mode and then it all works flawlessly.

This unit does this every single time I get into the car (only the first time I try use the device), and I am certain it should not be this way. Connects2 already asked me to reset the device by disconnecting it for 10 mins but this made no difference. I have opened a line of communication with business that sold me the item, and they are in communication with Connects2.

I will update with further progress.

Adi
02-04-2017, 01:10 AM
Anther update. I ended up buying a second unit and installing it to see if the tracking skipping issue was a faulty unit. Unfortunately no change. Connects2 say that they have never had this issue before, and given that the behaviour is identical between the two units that I have purchased, they speculate they it could be something to do with my headunit specifically. At this point, I don't know. I have just sold the one of the units to a friend of mine, so will see if he has the same issue in his E46 330i.

Otherwise, I am still happy with the device even though the track skipping issue on first power on is a bit annoying.

Minnesota
02-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Somewhat off-topic here but pertaining to bluetooth:

I am researching buying a car and would like to get one that has factory bluetooth pairing installed. Is this an option? If so, what do I need to look for? Is there a specific head unit that does this? Are there only certain model years that have this option? I think I've read that 2004 or 2005 saw bluetooth arrive in the E46 models. I am looking at a 2003. Are there any '03 cars that had bluetooth from the factory?

KevinC
02-22-2017, 03:22 PM
I am researching buying a car and would like to get one that has factory bluetooth pairing installed. Is this an option? If so, what do I need to look for? Is there a specific head unit that does this? Are there only certain model years that have this option? I think I've read that 2004 or 2005 saw bluetooth arrive in the E46 models. I am looking at a 2003. Are there any '03 cars that had bluetooth from the factory?

Bluetooth was part of the Premium package on the coupe for 2005, as far as I can tell. Curiously, it's not listed on the Monroney sticker, but from what I've gathered, all ZHP's with Premium in 2005 have the module. Presumably the final 2006's would have had it too. No idea on the sedans.

Also note that MP3 support arrived in 2004. This is kinda a big deal since without it you only have a factory CD changer as an option for going high capacity (other than aftermarket iPod adapters and the somewhat crummy BMW offering of the same). If you buy a pre-2004 model and want the MP3 support, newer head units that support it are pretty readily available on Ebay.

The head units are the same with or without it. Note that this is a phone/voice hookup only - you can't stream Bluetooth music (not a very good concept anyways IMHO since the stream is compressed, and your source material is likely compressed already too). It works well enough for answering voice calls, is awful for navigating your phone book on the standard head unit's tiny 1-line display, and only slightly better on the nav's now-ancient display.

It's crazy how far infotainment technology has come in the last decade. The system in my new Golf R is like something from Star Wars compared to the Fred Flintstone technology of the E46 era. Extremely competent factory nav with SD card-based maps, super-fast, lag-free operation, Sirius a standard feature, SD card & USB stick support as well as a CD player mounted in the upper glove box area. Great screen resolution, and easily readable in all light conditions, including with sunglasses on - the display on the factory nav on my E39 M5 was useless in many lighting situations. The SD/USB interface supports just about every format under the sun including FLAC. I have my entire iTunes library on a 32gb card (supports up to 256gb) including playlists, and everything functions flawlessly, including album artwork. And CarPlay and Android Auto are supported as well. It's fantastic.

Minnesota
02-23-2017, 06:41 AM
Bluetooth was part of the Premium package on the coupe for 2005, as far as I can tell. Curiously, it's not listed on the Monroney sticker, but from what I've gathered, all ZHP's with Premium in 2005 have the module. Presumably the final 2006's would have had it too. No idea on the sedans.

Also note that MP3 support arrived in 2004. This is kinda a big deal since without it you only have a factory CD changer as an option for going high capacity (other than aftermarket iPod adapters and the somewhat crummy BMW offering of the same). If you buy a pre-2004 model and want the MP3 support, newer head units that support it are pretty readily available on Ebay.

The head units are the same with or without it. Note that this is a phone/voice hookup only - you can't stream Bluetooth music (not a very good concept anyways IMHO since the stream is compressed, and your source material is likely compressed already too). It works well enough for answering voice calls, is awful for navigating your phone book on the standard head unit's tiny 1-line display, and only slightly better on the nav's now-ancient display.

It's crazy how far infotainment technology has come in the last decade. The system in my new Golf R is like something from Star Wars compared to the Fred Flintstone technology of the E46 era. Extremely competent factory nav with SD card-based maps, super-fast, lag-free operation, Sirius a standard feature, SD card & USB stick support as well as a CD player mounted in the upper glove box area. Great screen resolution, and easily readable in all light conditions, including with sunglasses on - the display on the factory nav on my E39 M5 was useless in many lighting situations. The SD/USB interface supports just about every format under the sun including FLAC. I have my entire iTunes library on a 32gb card (supports up to 256gb) including playlists, and everything functions flawlessly, including album artwork. And CarPlay and Android Auto are supported as well. It's fantastic.

With the MP3 support does that mean you can play CDs that have music burned onto them? Or is there another way to get the tunes to the unit? I don't think there is an aux input on these cars and certainly not a usb port.

And a good reminder about streaming music via the bluetooth connection. I had an early Alpine head unit that could link to my phone via bluetooth. The sound quality of the music wasn't terrible, but it was much better if I connected with a wire.

I guess the take-home from all this is that if I want to connect my iPod to the car to listen to music I'm going to have to buy some hardware to make it happen.

KevinC
02-23-2017, 04:32 PM
With the MP3 support does that mean you can play CDs that have music burned onto them? Or is there another way to get the tunes to the unit? I don't think there is an aux input on these cars and certainly not a usb port.

And a good reminder about streaming music via the bluetooth connection. I had an early Alpine head unit that could link to my phone via bluetooth. The sound quality of the music wasn't terrible, but it was much better if I connected with a wire.

I guess the take-home from all this is that if I want to connect my iPod to the car to listen to music I'm going to have to buy some hardware to make it happen.

Yes, you can burn your own MP3 discs and play them right in the stock Business CD head unit as long as it's new enough. I had about 200 songs on a single CD at 192kbps that sounded pretty good, that was my standard soundtrack for a while when I first bought the car 5 years ago. I have since added a USA*Spec iPod adapter, which works OK, though navigating music is a royal PITA. But it's fine for playing a couple of long playlists, and the sound quality is great. I just keep an iPod nano permanently in the cubby below the climate controls.

dpark
03-18-2017, 06:04 AM
Hi Guys,

I thought I would bump this thread. I have finally received the Connects2 bluetooth adaptor and I have just installed it.

I have only tested it while stationary in the car, but so far it does everything the product promised. Bluetooth music streaming works well with seemingly good audio quality. The steering wheel and head unit controls work for skipping tracks. I made a phone call to my friend and he could hear me fine, but I will have to see how well it works when I am actually driving.

So far, very happy. Will post some more thoughts after I have used it properly in the real world.

I have also installed the Connects2+Parrot system and it works fine. At street speeds audio is fine. At highway speeds, on a decent road it works fine. I was driving in a terrible rainstorm during a call and had to end the call. The ambient noise of the rain+wipers+wind+road noise was too much. I could hear the person on the other end of the call, but they could not hear me over the ambient noise.

Not sure if other more modern BT systems work any better in those instances.

Also unlike the OP I quoted, I cannot get audio streaming over BT. Not a huge issue because I have the factory iPod interface connected to an ipod classic that does all of my music duty. Just curious why he can stream audio and I can't. I wonder if it is my head unit. It is an early one that does not have the ability to play MP3.

Long term reliability will have to wait and see... I hope it lasts for several years. The good news, assuming parts are available in the future, I don't see a failure in the cabling, only the Connects2 "box" and the Parrot BT "box" which are relatively easily accessible by removing the glove box (6 screws) and both devices are just "plug and play" to replace.

Adi
03-20-2017, 01:05 PM
If you have the parrot ck3000 + connects2 steering wheel harness, you will not be able to stream music, only do handsfree phone calls.

I have a different connects2 device that on its own does BT phone calls as well as A2DP BT music streaming.

johnrando
03-20-2017, 07:55 PM
I just did the mpow BT kit and it works really well. It requires cigarette power and aux, and both of those happen to be in my glovebox so it looks clean, only the mic is out and that is right by my Bimmian phone holder.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dpark
03-20-2017, 11:00 PM
If you have the parrot ck3000 + connects2 steering wheel harness, you will not be able to stream music, only do handsfree phone calls.

I have a different connects2 device that on its own does BT phone calls as well as A2DP BT music streaming.

Bummer