PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a good power steering fluid flush DIY?

johnnyrad
03-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Noticed my power steering reservoir had a film of oil all over it like it's been leaking and sure enough the cap gasket was missing...:foottap Then I noticed the oil in there was very dark and slightly burnt smokey smelling and I figured maybe it hasn't ever been changed...Car has 47,000 miles on it.

So me thinks I will be adding to the list of fixes, but I have never done it before.
So any help for a novice would be great!

jvr826
03-27-2011, 08:57 AM
More than you asked for, but this is one approach...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414455&highlight=power+steering+flush+diy

Personally, I used my mity-vac to evacuate the reservoir, refill with fresh ATF, start the car and move the wheel from full lock to full lock to circulate the fresh fluid (many times), rinse and repeat until I used up a full liter of fresh fluid.

You may want to pull the belly pan off and have a look see at your lines. On my car, the high pressure line at the rack, yes - the really expensive one, is seeping enough fluid to collect in that belly pan, but not drip onto the ground. At my last track inspection the mechanic said it was normal and acceptable in it's current condition. He said when you hear air sucking sounds, that's when it's time to replace them with official BMW parts.

danewilson77
03-27-2011, 09:30 AM
I did the Nathan Carter TB flush.

TB = Turkey Baster.

Buy one qt of M1 ATF, suck as much outta the resevoir, and fill with fresh ATF. Then driver 300 miles, and repeat the process 3 times. At the end....you end up with just about fresh fluid in your system.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

johnnyrad
03-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks Jeff and Dane for the help. It doesn't appear I have any leaks so I will forego the complete swap out and just go purchase a big fat turkey baster some ATF and a damn gasket for the cap.

danewilson77
03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
I got my TB at Advance Auto Parts. It is actually a Battery Electrolyte sucker thing (BEST). It made me feel better buying it at an auto store. Works like a champ. Three sux......and the reservoir is empty. Mine is red. It is good.

johnnyrad
03-27-2011, 01:23 PM
I got my TB at Advance Auto Parts. It is actually a Battery Electrolyte sucker thing (BEST). It made me feel better buying it at an auto store. Works like a champ. Three sux......and the reservoir is empty. Mine is red. It is good.

haha was just there and bought the same one I think, it's red. Like Imola Red. I think it matches your car?

danewilson77
03-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Imola red FTW.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

spencers
03-28-2011, 04:57 AM
I followed this one this weekend
http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/bmw/maf