PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on new tires for my M3

UdubBadger
10-10-2016, 09:24 AM
Ok so the M3 is in need of some new shoes soon. Maybe even before I leave for AZ.

I have gotten about 9k out of my RE-11s and figure they have about 3-4k left before I'm in the red on the tire gauge. The drive out will eat up half of that.

So seeing as I'm going to be in dry climate I'm wondering if I should go with a summer like a Conti DW or PSS all year round or possibly the new Conti DWS06.

It would be cool to run an all season that can handle snow as I'm sure I'll want to road trip out to places for snowboarding now that I'm out West. However the wife's GLK350 can also handle that if needed.

Anyone have an opinion on either set up for AZ climate?

Thanks

GoingHAM mobile

san
10-10-2016, 09:44 AM
I've had dws06 for about a year now and I have put on about 25k miles on them... the fronts are not even half worn but the rears are worn more than 50%... I have used these tires in the snow and they are descent upto to an inch or two of snow... before these I had 8 year old General summer tires that the previous owner installed and I was a little disappointed that the dws 06 are nowhere near performance of the generals in dry conditions... it's not a fair comparison as I am comparing summer tires against all seasons but I didn't expect the gap to be so big especially since the the general tires were so old and not really reputed... the car does understeer a lot with the dws06 especially under spirited driving...

If you are looks for longevity and good all weather performance the dws06 are pretty good, but wouldn't recommend them if you are looking for dry weather performance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az3579
10-10-2016, 11:56 AM
All seasons are next to useless when it comes to snow traction on a high performance car such as the M3. I recommend taking another car if you're gonna go to snowy places and won't have a set of dedicated winter tires to use.

Karl Lazlo
10-10-2016, 02:50 PM
Anyone have an opinion on either set up for AZ climate?

Where in AZ? The climate varies a bit... say between Tucson and Flag and parts in between (Prescott, Jerome or out by the res) FWIW, the deepest snow I had ever driven in was in Peach Springs, AZ and there is a picture on this very forum of my rally car on a trailer in the snow, just before taking certain "liberties" on frozen roads in my friend's housing development.

But I digress...

When I lived in LV, NV, I only wore summer meats on my cars. I saw no need to swap over for the one day a year where it got slippery from snow. And, I detest all season (a/k/a No Season) tires.

Nothing wrong with a pre-ski trip swap to proper snows if you are heading to the white stuff.

UdubBadger
10-11-2016, 05:27 AM
Thanks guys, kinda confirmed what I had already known.

I'll be in Phoenix but myself as well as my best friend out there are active guys and I know I'll want to get up to flagstaff when possible this winter, if not try to make it up into Utah or Colorado.

I'm selling off my winters for now, so I guess I just figured I would do A/S tires, especially for the extended tread life they offer. Might be stupid of me to do seeing as even if I drove in light snow for 10 days out of the year, I'm sacrificing the other 355.

Kinda silly to have dedicated snows for that purpose but maybe I'll just see how this winter goes and let my buddy drive, then decide how to play it next year.

I also remeasured the tread on my re-11s and I guess I was measuring the outer edges instead of the middle so after rotation I should be able to get a good 5-7k on them so nothing is immediate. Maybe I'll try to sell em when I get to Phx because Tire Rack has some nice clearance pricing on Conti DW summers it looks like.

GoingHAM mobile

KevinC
10-11-2016, 08:37 AM
Moving to Phoenix? Cool. Hit me up when you get out here, would love to meet up. And I'm more than happy to help you get settled in any way I can. I've been here 12 years now, and LOVE LOVE LOVE Arizona. I'm here for the duration. I'm on the east side in Chandler.

UdubBadger
10-11-2016, 11:30 AM
Awesome buddy thanks! I'll be working in Chandler. You'll have to recommend some good shops for me

GoingHAM mobile

KevinC
10-11-2016, 11:32 AM
Intel?

Pip
10-11-2016, 06:19 PM
Intel?
Intel for you Kevin?

KevinC
10-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Intel for you Kevin?

Negative. Not even employed at the moment. :pimp

UdubBadger
10-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Cardinal Financial

GoingHAM mobile

GotZHP
10-11-2016, 09:06 PM
If it were my M3, Mich PSS all the way. Rent 4x4 for trip to Utah / Colorado.

I lived in Phoenix for a summer and Drove to Gunnison, CO in my WRX. One amazing drive!

UdubBadger
10-12-2016, 08:42 AM
I hate rentals but I have wife's GLK 350 if needed. Just wanted to be able to go on my own if opportunity presented itself.

GoingHAM mobile

GotZHP
10-12-2016, 07:46 PM
I rented the new ford escape and have to say, not a bad car. Ecoboost with all wheel drive and some decent options. was comfy and quiet as well.

To me the M3 is the ultimate performance car and the tires should match. Plus, if I had an M3 I wouldn't want to risk an accident in the snow. Growing up in Maine, snow driving happened 3 to 4 months a year. All season tires have proven to be pretty useless once there is some accumulation on the road. I always had a studded snow tire and a performance summer tire. I tried a few all season tires and ended up in a few snow banks. thankfully, the Volvo wagon I had was basically a tank and busted through them no problem!

Ended up off the road or in a snow bank over 15 times with that car, and only ever broke a corner light lens.

Rovert
10-12-2016, 08:52 PM
If you are to get PSS, just wait a few more months since the PS4S will replace the PSS which will put the PSS on sale....maybe!!

I've had DW, DWS, and PSS. I've driven my friend's 135 M-sport 6MT with AS3+. I am very impressed with the AS3+. Comfort is second to none with the PSS vs DW. Michelin has put a lot of R&D into creating something that's quiet, comfy, fun, and sticks like a glue on the road. Now that I have experienced the wonder of PSS, if I wanted longer tread life with decent grip and the ability to handle some nasty, I'd go with AS3+. As the temps here in Vancouver cool to 40-50F, my 265 wide PSS aren't able to handle 1st gear WOT anymore. All i get is wheel hop so I know the rubber isn't very happy...this is when I wouldn't mind having AS3+ because I don't want to put on my Blizzzak LM60 snows yet...it's still too warm for those with an M3!

UdubBadger
10-13-2016, 05:50 AM
Hahaha yeah, good call Trev

GoingHAM mobile

UdubBadger
11-29-2016, 09:17 AM
Cold this morning! RE-11s weren't happy. Wondering if I need to reconsider tires...

John in VA
11-29-2016, 02:28 PM
Cold this morning! RE-11s weren't happy. Wondering if I need to reconsider tires...
1 set of wheels/tires for temps >40°, another set for temps below.

UdubBadger
11-29-2016, 02:33 PM
1 set of wheels/tires for temps >40°, another set for temps below.

Normally that's how I do it but in Phoenix the temp swing is daily, not seasonally.

35-45 in the early morning, 50-60 in the afternoon and back down over night.

It would be more like just all season tires as a set of winters but then why bother going back to summers? Kinda hard to keep another $1500 set of wheels and tires around.

Johnmadd
11-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Normally that's how I do it but in Phoenix the temp swing is daily, not seasonally.

It would be more like just all season tires as a set of winters but then why bother going back to summers? Kinda hard to keep another $1500 set of wheels and tires around.

I agree.

Johnmadd
11-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Michelin as3 or continental dws?

Rovert
11-29-2016, 03:23 PM
Then get rid of the extra wheels?

UdubBadger
11-29-2016, 03:34 PM
I may reconsider doing DWS06 all year round. I know you guys may look at me funny but my buddy Jake ran DWS on his 900hp turbo'd Gallardo because it tends to lose traction in the rain easily.

If I intended on tracking or whatnot I'd get a set of Extreme Summers for that but for now I'm just commuting in this car.

John in VA
11-29-2016, 04:42 PM
Sorry - I saw your location as Chicago.
Summer tires > all-season. Winter tires > all season. But all-seasons are getting better.
I have > 40 wheels & too many with tires, but that's my problem!

Rovert
11-29-2016, 04:50 PM
AS3+ seem to be better in dry/wet for feeling. DWS are better in the snow though.

danewilson77
11-29-2016, 07:26 PM
I may reconsider doing DWS06 all year round. I know you guys may look at me funny but my buddy Jake ran DWS on his 900hp turbo'd Gallardo because it tends to lose traction in the rain easily.

If I intended on tracking or whatnot I'd get a set of Extreme Summers for that but for now I'm just commuting in this car.

I absolutely support this.

Sent by the Pixel XL

UdubBadger
11-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Well if it's DW approved then it might as well be in the Constitution.

Consider the DWS06 as good as ordered. :rofl

holyc0w
11-29-2016, 07:57 PM
What were the previous tires he was using before the DWS? Was the poor rain performance related to colder temperatures?

Tirerack shows a bit of an advantage with the DW summer tire in the wet. I'm guessing these tests can be more or less compared across.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=190
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=194

UdubBadger
11-30-2016, 05:08 AM
I believe he was on Toyo R666's. The issue was moderate temps and wet conditions for a reasonable part of the year (sub 50 from Nov-April in chicago). He doesn't drive it much in the winter and has a 2nd vehicle for commuting and such.

Again, I just don't see why I'd want DW which will get stiff and hockey puck like for 3 months out of the year here even if I don't see snow - which I may as the mountains are an hour and a half north and I love to snowboard. The DWS offers so many benefits all year round why not just go with that? What am I losing out on in the summer really?

holyc0w
11-30-2016, 06:32 AM
Again, I just don't see why I'd want DW which will get stiff and hockey puck like for 3 months out of the year here even if I don't see snow - which I may as the mountains are an hour and a half north and I love to snowboard. The DWS offers so many benefits all year round why not just go with that? What am I losing out on in the summer really?

I agree. The drop-off in performance in the cold outweighs any benefits you'll see on the summer tire from just driving around town. It's also pretty dangerous.

Vas
11-30-2016, 06:48 AM
Suggest reading this Tirerack article in regards to all season tires

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=216

UdubBadger
11-30-2016, 07:40 AM
Suggest reading this Tirerack article in regards to all season tires

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=216

Hmmm so maybe I'll consider the Pilots or Pirelli's then

san
11-30-2016, 08:13 AM
Hmmm so maybe I'll consider the Pilots or Pirelli's then

I mentioned in one of the earlier posts that I drove with the dws06 on my Zhp in the snow last winter and they were ok, but I think it might be a little more tricky this year because I have more than 25k miles on the set and the cars slides a bit on a damp road without having to try... so depending on how many miles you drive the all seasons might be just good for one winter only, especially since the m3 will chew through the tires much faster... I'm sure you thought about this but thought I'd let you know about my experience...

UdubBadger
11-30-2016, 12:08 PM
Cool thanks.

I'm willing to give those pilots a try even though they're the most expensive. Sounds like from the article they're they best rated for all around, not just the 5-10 days I'll be up in the mountains each year for snowboarding.

Vas
11-30-2016, 12:16 PM
I have experienced the soft sidewall and the mushy steering feel from both the Conti DW and the Conti DWS. Also the tread growl was evident as well but that did not bother me as much.