PDA

View Full Version : Please take a moment to read this (regarding Christian Richard Klorczyk)

johnnye23
03-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Found on another board, this father wants his message repeated to hopefully save other lives.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/marcussandiego/christianpicture.jpg

I am Christian Klorczyk's father
Good Day,

I feel that I must respond to this post for the sake of accuracy, the honor of my son and family name and also to attempt to save other lives.

Lynne and I are the parents of three sons, Frederick III, Christian, Parker and our "adopted sons", his twin brother Jordan, Dimitri and Dan - all "carguys".

As stated in the article....

"The 21-year-old died Friday after a BMW he was working on collapsed on him in the family garage. Fred Klorczyk said that a floor (http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=89883#) jack likely failed while his son (Christian) was under the car changing the oil."

Jeff Johnson did a great job on the article on our son, brother and friend and I thank him for that. Jeff was a true gentleman who talked to us for hours in our darkest times to get an accurate depiction of our son and family. However, and unfortunately we do not have it on tape, nor is Jeff a "gearhead" and doesn't really understand jacks (http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=89883#), jackstands and multiple layers of safety. I never said, nor is it accurate to say "that a floor jack likely failed..."

Christian is an experienced mechanic who started working on cars and following Formula 1 when he was a small child. He and our whole family witnessed Ayrton "Magic" Senna die at Tamburello 15 years ago. Yes, Christian was only six at the time and he would wake all of us up at 6:30AM to watch the pre-race show in Italy on satellite.

Christian is a true car guy as are his brothers and friends. My business is in the most safety conscious market in the world - nuclear boats, nuclear ships and nuclear power plants. That mentality is my life - has been since I was a kid engineer out of school. Ask any of my employees how I feel about safety. They have the right to stop any job and call me at anytime as no one is to ever get injured on our jobsites. This naturally carried over to my homelife. By the way, my father was a large machine mechanic by trade and a "gearhead" by avocation. No one would use the wrong tools - we have them all and all are of quality. No one in my garage or driveway would ever go under a car with only a jack of any kind holding it up. The jack elevates the car, jackstands support at proper points while working underneath and the jack is removed to improve accessibility. Period. Block the wheels if necessary. Emergency brake on. Car in gear. A lift would be better but we just were not at that point in our lives yet.

Christian had the right front tire off so that he could shine his double halogen lights on the work area and see clearly. He also had that tire/wheel under the right front rotor as an extra measure of safety as is a habit of ours when possible. He had four ton Craftsman jackstands in use. Two were just bought at Christmas when I sent him to buy a new jack since ours is getting to be five years old. Hydraulic cylinders (http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=89883#) and seals degrade over time. He didn't buy the jack since he felt what Sears, etc., had were junk so he bought more four ton stands but without safety pins. I did not realize there were redundant safety stands until... it was too late.

Christian was using my father's creeper for the first time. He found the creeper when cleaning the garage over Christmas. When he applied torque to the ratchet handle to break the plug loose, he experienced the law of physics of "equal and opposite reaction". As the plug broke loose, the creeper did also in a direction opposite to the torque vector Christian applied. Some part of Christian's body, some part of the creeper, the mallet beside him, something - we have no video, just supposition and theory... tripped the right front jackstand lever inadvertantly from the underside and a ton of the BMW E46 3 series xi crushed his chest and his right cheekbone. He never took, or could even attempt to take a second breath. Death was immediate and painless. If I were beside him at the time this occurred I could have done nothing to save him. This has been verified by five friends of mine who are doctors. I used the floorjack Christian used to elevate the car to get the car off of him. It was parallel to the car just as he would place it when he removed it from the jackpoint. I had to engage the cylinder with clockwise rotation which tells me Christian removed it per proper procedure. I had the jack underneath and car off him in seconds. Jackstands were under before I crawled from under the valance while Lynne called 911. Lynne came under with me from the wheelwell and had a pulse on his neck. She said he it was strong. I was doing chest compressions and trying to get a verbal response until the EMTs got there. When I heard LIFESTAR waved off over the EMT radios I had a sick, sick feeling.

A critical factor, in my professional engineering opinion, is that the creeper raised his body 3.5" higher than it would have been if he would have been working on the concrete as he was used to. It also raised his head 4.5" higher as there is a foam pillow headrest. Both creeper caster wheels at the head position were sheared from the creeper. I can only wonder that if Christian did not use the creeper would he have had the jackstands that high, would the energy at 9.8 m/sec squared have been decreased to a minimum so that if the freak accident happened he would have been injured less, would the extra measure of the tire under the rotor have saved his life without the extra creeper height, would he be alive today? Only God knows.

Christian is a fine, fine man who was known for his smile, intelligence, passion and willingness to help anyone at anytime... just like all of his brothers and "adopted brothers". The five of them and myself were his pall bearers. He would have it no other way. We were that close.

Also, to my fellow "carguys" and "gearheads", please learn from this tragedy. Scrap your cheapo jackstands... do your research, find the best jackstands there are, use the secondary and tertiary safety factors, do not fall to the temptation of human nature and operator error - use the extra safety factors! It may save your life, or maybe the life of you son. Had I would have known such Christian would be with us today.

Lastly, if you want to drive fast please do not do it on the road. Racetracks are readily available for that adrenaline rush we all crave. Track days with instructors are cheap and you are protected far more than

Godspeed Christian! May you be driving God's Veyron for him.

Please feel free to cut and past this article anywhere you think it may prove valuable to fellow "carguys". I pray that none of you ever suffer such a tragedy. May God Bless you all.

Frederick J. Klorczyk, Jr.
Waterford, CT
fjk143@aol.com

johnrando
03-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Sobering to read, thanks for posting. I'm sure most of us take the right precautions, but it's good to have reminders to double check.

static667
03-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Wow. It's tough to even imagine having to go through what they did.

I'll be using stands from here on out.

Sent from my rooted Fascinate. Hacked Droid FTW!

kayger12
03-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Wow. Sobering is right. I use Craftsman jack stands as well. I will now make sure that the release lever is always towards the outside of the car...

nk_zhp
03-29-2011, 09:11 AM
RIP Chris.

Getting pinned under a car is my nightmare. Whenever possible I stick the loose rim/tire assembly under the car just as an added safeguard. I had a car roll off the jack for me, only I wasn't under the car. Since then I always have that "what if" voice in my head.

I can't imagine the effort it took for his dad to write this.

Johnmadd
03-29-2011, 10:07 AM
I also watched my car slide a jack before with me not under. This is a terrible thi.g to happen to someone, also I think of this stuff constantly while under a car. Something I like to do once the car is on jack stands I give the car a couple good pushes to see if it is solid. Sorry for his family and friends.

kpro
03-29-2011, 10:16 AM
So so sad :( RIP Christian.

danewilson77
03-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Dayum.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Very sad. My best to his family and to Frederick J. Klorczyk, his father.

kaboom
03-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Sad read.

Another local s2k guy died that way recently. I can't imagine what their families are going through.

If any of you have craftsman aluminum hydraulic jacks, junk them. They have a long history of snapping.

Ian

az3579
03-30-2011, 03:31 AM
If any of you have craftsman aluminum hydraulic jacks, junk them. They have a long history of snapping.

Ian

People shouldn't go scrapping their jacks because of this. If it jacks the car up, it's fine. The jack shouldn't be used to support the car anyway so I don't see how this is relevant.

Sent from my DROIDX

kaboom
03-30-2011, 06:16 AM
Because several people have been injured in the process of jacking the car up when the lift arm *snaps* and the car falls immediately. This is not a typical hydraulic failure, and only applies to craftsman aluminum racing jacks pre 2010. Yes, they should be scrapped.

Ian

billschusteriv
03-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Very sobering to read. For the last few years, I have had to work out in the garage alone.

Car is always supported by two 3t and/or two 3.5t craftsman/craftsman pro jack stands. I use chocks when front or rears are off the ground. I use the 3t hydraulic floor jack as a secondary safety. I don't always put the wheels back under the car, but may start.

I also haven't changed the oil in my jack. May be my next project.

Will be considering additional safeties.

danewilson77
03-30-2011, 07:00 AM
People shouldn't go scrapping their jacks because of this. If it jacks the car up, it's fine. The jack shouldn't be used to support the car anyway so I don't see how this is relevant.

Sent from my DROIDX

This is relevant from the perspective that we all take a moment to:

1. Think about his family and send good vibes their way (however you do this)
2. Closely evaluate, assess, and address, how we do maintenance on our cars.
3. Take a moment to think the maintenance evolution through, prior to climbing under your car. He had it jacked up, and had the tire under the rotor, but the tire width was ~3.5" narrower than the breadth of his chest (i.e. the tires would do nothing until his chest was compressed 3.5 inches).

billschusteriv
03-30-2011, 07:11 AM
Thanks to his father for the original post...to the OP for posting this for the familia...

I didn't say it before... but thoughts go out to the family...

Thanks for the perspectives DW...

johnnye23
03-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Just wanted to add to everyone that as a father this saddened me greatly and it was another fathers wish to spread the link.Please forward it to all you may know that could benefit from it.Also I left the email contact at the end of link in case anyone wanted to personally contact Christians father directly. This is such a great board with such good karma thanks for allowing me to be a part of it . Johnny

Ryans323i
03-30-2011, 07:49 AM
RIP Christian and Best Wishes to those he left behind.

Getting the car up the is the most nerve racking part of any of my DIYs. And I Hate getting under the car, I'm nervous the whole time. But now I don't feel so dorky for my over-the-top jack stand usage. This setup was used for my recent brake job, I take even more precautions when I'm under the car.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/aprilsmom04/6.jpg

Marcus-SanDiego
03-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Ryan, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I like your strategy.

kpro
03-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Ryan thats a lot of stands, I like your saftey strategy! Just an FYI, don't trust those bottle jacks too too much...they can be dangerous if used the slightest bit wrong.

billschusteriv
03-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Ryan, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I like your strategy.

+1.

kaboom
03-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Right, no chances with jacking a car up, ever. I havent seen the jack stands in question but I'd like to.

Ian

Ryans323i
03-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Ryan thats a lot of stands, I like your saftey strategy! Just an FYI, don't trust those bottle jacks too too much...they can be dangerous if used the slightest bit wrong.

Definitely, they're the back up. Mainly there for extra, extra support.

Smilez
03-30-2011, 11:08 AM
YEAH i always put a wheel under the car. so if it falls at least it falls on that. I have to change my Flex disk and center bearing soon.

danewilson77
03-30-2011, 11:46 AM
That's what he did Ray.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Marcus-SanDiego
03-30-2011, 12:13 PM
If anyone searches for Christian's story, they will find it here. Not surprising that we are on page 1 of a Google search using his name.

danewilson77
03-30-2011, 12:25 PM
That's good. We need to remember this young man. He was just helpin his Dad out.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Marcus-SanDiego
03-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Exactly. Glad to get the word out.

FJK143
03-30-2011, 03:20 PM
RIP Chris.

Getting pinned under a car is my nightmare. Whenever possible I stick the loose rim/tire assembly under the car just as an added safeguard. I had a car roll off the jack for me, only I wasn't under the car. Since then I always have that "what if" voice in my head.

I can't imagine the effort it took for his dad to write this.

I owe it to my fellow car guys and gals. I assume you'd do the same for me. You do not want to be Lynne nor me at this point. Or his brothers for that matter who are all away at school.

The only words adequate are: "it sucks".

I will write more later and post pics. I find new (shitty) details each day.

For instance, did you know the Craftsman jackstands are rated at 4 ton capacity when used as a "pair" even though it is boldly cast on each support. And you should look at the welds (or lack thereof) while you are at it.

It appears the Gray Company in the US makes stands that will save lives when used properly.

Frederick Klorczyk, Jr.
fjk143@aol.com

PS It seems you fellows have a fine site here.

kayger12
03-30-2011, 03:34 PM
I owe it to my fellow car guys and gals. I assume you'd do the same for me. You do not want to be Lynne nor me at this point. Or his brothers for that matter who are all away at school.

For instance, did you know the Craftsman jackstands are rated at 4 ton capacity when used as a "pair" even though it is boldly cast on each support. And you should look at the welds (or lack thereof) while you are at it.

It appears the Gray Company in the US makes stands that will save lives when used properly.

Frederick Klorczyk, Jr.
fjk143@aol.com

Honored to have you here, sir.

Thank you for having the courage and strength to share this with us. I have no doubt it will prevent another family from having to go through the hell you've endured.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-30-2011, 03:43 PM

Frederick Klorczyk, Jr.
fjk143@aol.com

Mr. Klorczyk, sorry for your loss, sir. Glad you posted here. Wish it could have been under different circumstances.

Dotpage
03-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Sad read, RIP Christian. Be safe fellas...

az3579
03-30-2011, 04:10 PM
This is relevant from the perspective that we all take a moment to:

1. Think about his family and send good vibes their way (however you do this)
2. Closely evaluate, assess, and address, how we do maintenance on our cars.
3. Take a moment to think the maintenance evolution through, prior to climbing under your car. He had it jacked up, and had the tire under the rotor, but the tire width was ~3.5" narrower than the breadth of his chest (i.e. the tires would do nothing until his chest was compressed 3.5 inches).

FYI Dane, the part of my quote that you bolded wasn't in reference to how this story is relevant, it was towards the person who said we should scrap all Craftsman jacks of that type. THAT was what my comment was directed towards...

M54Dave
03-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Sad to hear about this, Thoughts go out to the family. Jack stands always make me nervous, I rather use ramps to lift the car up (for the jobs where the wheels don't need to come off.)

danewilson77
03-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Sir.....we would like to offer our most genuine and humble thoughts. I will leave it at that. My family is thinking and praying for you guys.

Additionally a nuclear officer on ships, subs, on shore at prototype, and now on shore duty, I can definetely attest to the safety standards that are, and need to be ingrained in all of us.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

johnrando
03-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Frederick Klorczyk, Jr.
fjk143@aol.com

That means a lot for you to take the time out specifically to post to this site, and offer advice, even in your time of need. Our thoughts, prayers, and sympathies are with you and yours. John

Daddyoh
03-30-2011, 08:36 PM
That means a lot for you to take the time out specifically to post to this site, and offer advice, even in your time of need. Our thoughts, prayers, and sympathies are with you and yours. John

Indeed sir, an honor to have you here. Thank you for joining us.
I have a sense of emptiness after reading this just now, and I know our hearts ache for you and your family.

But I also have a renewed sense of safety, too. Bless you.........

Marcus-SanDiego
03-30-2011, 09:19 PM
I added a picture of Christian to original post. He was a great kid. UConn student. Good son.

M0nk3y
03-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Wow. That story hit me like a freight train.

I'm truly sorry about your loss. It's terrible to ever think something happening like this.

If you didn't mind. I posted this on my local BMW board and SCCA Board. I feel like this is important for everyone to think about this situation and apply it to their own lifestyle.

-Kyle

mov
03-31-2011, 04:21 AM
My condolence to the entire family.

FJK143
03-31-2011, 03:53 PM
There are some fine people on this forum.

May God watch over you as you enjoy your life and family and our mutual interests of cars and racing.

fjk, jr

FJK143
03-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Wow. That story hit me like a freight train.

I'm truly sorry about your loss. It's terrible to ever think something happening like this.

If you didn't mind. I posted this on my local BMW board and SCCA Board. I feel like this is important for everyone to think about this situation and apply it to their own lifestyle.

-Kyle

Kyle post it everywhere you can - help save lives and heighten safety awareness. No one should ever go though this. Rescuing him is etched in my mind and Lynne's forever. A nightmare that will never end.

fjk, jr

FJK143
04-09-2011, 11:06 AM
WWW.STACKSTANDS.COM

MADE IN USA

3,500 POUND RATING EACH (STEEL)

NO MOVING PARTS

REDUCES HUMAN ERROR

LARGE BASE AREA

SUITABLE FOR USE IN GRAVEL PIT AREAS

http://www.laneautomotive.com/

fjk, jr.
Edit/Delete Message

danewilson77
04-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the link sir....

Droid! Srs Legitness!

FJK143
04-12-2011, 09:52 AM
The fine faculty and administration at The University of Connecticut have just decided to grant Christian his degree in finance as he was due to graduate in a few weeks and was a 3.5 - 3.7 GPA student.

Unfortunately you have to run into good, decent folks mostly at times like this. His "twin brother" Jordan will be accepting the degree on his behalf (tears).

I have some more safety stuff to share guys. When it is complete I will be sure to post everywhere. Try to find almost anything made in the US. All the pretty jacks out there, even for $250 - 300? Yep, Asia. Just a few made here.

fjk, jr

Marcus-SanDiego
04-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Mr. Klorczyk, that's awesome that they are awarding him the degree -- even though he is not here to receive it himself. He was a great student.

Congrats on having an outstanding son. I'd be damn proud.

danewilson77
04-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Sir, thank you for keeping us up to date.

Sir, if I may, I would like to provide this link to our members on our new site www.bmwmafia.com.

It may already be there...but I don't recall seeing it.

I request your permission to post, or request you post so we can reach all possible people in this regard.

I would like to post seperate threads in our diy and our maintenance subforums.

Still in my prayers and thoughts.

DW77

Droid! Srs Legitness!

FJK143
04-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Sir, thank you for keeping us up to date.

Sir, if I may, I would like to provide this link to our members on our new site www.bmwmafia.com.

It may already be there...but I don't recall seeing it.

I request your permission to post, or request you post so we can reach all possible people in this regard.

I would like to post seperate threads in our diy and our maintenance subforums.

Still in my prayers and thoughts.

DW77

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Please post away. We MUST watch each other's backs.

fjk, jr

FJK143
04-18-2011, 04:22 PM
JACKSTAND RESEARCH RESULTS

After extensive jackstand research and talks with many sales reps I have narrowed my search down to the following:

Emerson
ES-12 Series (http://www.emersonjacks.com/ES-12%20Series.html)

Gray USA
Gray USA, manufacturer of hydraulic jacks and lifting equipment (http://www.grayusa.com/support_stand.asp)

These are not fool proof, automatic or safe when used in an improper manner. The operator must still insert a pin to lock the stand and you must utilize the right jackstand points. Hopefully a pin in good usable condition and not a rusty bolt will be used as well. This design eliminates any chance of "partial engagement of ratchet / pawl" as has been thrown around and it eliminates any arguments (we've heard both sides) "as to whether a loaded ratchet style stand can drop".

I am not suggesting these are for everyone nor am I insulting those who believe in and use others made in Asia. I am only stating my opinion as to what stands will be in the garages and pits of the guys in my carguy group.

Lastly, I am certainly not implying that these devices are the end all and be all in safety around cars. Obviously, the jackstand is only one part of the safety procedures we should ALL exercise and TEACH when working on 3,000 pound and up vehicles.

Sincerely,

fjk, jr

kayger12
04-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Great info. Thank you, sir.

M0nk3y
04-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Great info. Thank you, sir.

+1. It's greatly appreciated.

danewilson77
04-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Good stuff. Thanks!

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

FJK143
04-19-2011, 01:39 AM
JACKS - STILL WORKING ON THIS

It appears that Pelican Parts carries this model in the US that is made truly in Denmark not just "stickered" Denmark. It is currently out of stock at PP per conversation yesterday. As soon as they get their shipment, two are heading to my garage. I expect the price to be just under $1,000. It is low, can fit under my Porsche turbo track car and is also long so it can reach in on older restoration-type cars. You can buy this in the North Country but then customs, etc. comes into play ($$$).

AC Hydraulics
http://www.ac-hydraulic.dk/en/products/hydraulic-jacks/dk13hlq/
www.pelicanparts.com (Porsche place, good prices, good service, good people). I have used them for years.

Once again, I am not suggesting these are for everyone nor am I insulting those who believe in and use other jacks made in Asia or even lightweight billet aluminum jacks made in America. I am only stating my opinion as to what jacks will be in the garages and pits of the guys in my carguy group.

Again, jacks are only one part of the safety procedures we should ALL exercise and TEACH when working on 3,000 pound and up vehicles.

Sincerely,

fjk, jr

johnrando
04-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks for posting your research results. I know there has been a lot of discussion on this due to your efforts. This work will clearly help your son's legacy live on in garages across the world, every time we work on our cars. I for one, will never jack up a car without thinking of your story. Thanks for looking out for us. John

FJK143
04-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Roger that. It is my duty sir.

FJK143
04-23-2011, 01:42 AM
Mr. Klorczyk, that's awesome that they are awarding him the degree -- even though he is not here to receive it himself. He was a great student.

Congrats on having an outstanding son. I'd be damn proud.

Thank you. Lynne and I have three wonderful biological sons and three wonderful adopted sons. People used to be puzzled when I introduced Christian and Jordan as twin brothers. Christian being white and Jordan being black (looks like Tiger's twin brother - on Halloween we gave him a 7 iron!) gave them pause and pissed me off...

Proud indeed! We are a blessed family that has to find a way to get through this.

fjk, jr

danewilson77
04-23-2011, 04:52 AM
Great family Jr.!!!!

That would have pissed me off too!

FJK143
05-06-2011, 11:43 AM
After nearly two months of research I ended up with sets of these:

Emerson 12 Ton pin stands - Nebraska

Griots Spanish floor jack - 2" to 20" - 2 Ton

Christian's Type S daily driver behind:

danewilson77
05-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Well done sir! Excellent looking products. Thanks for the research and update.

FJK143
05-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Welcome. You have a fine site with gentlemen and women here compared to what I have encountered elsewhere in trying to do a good deed in dire times.

Thank you.

fjk, jr

kayger12
05-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Very much appreciated, sir.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Johnmadd
05-06-2011, 08:41 PM
That jack is awesome.

lilcdkey
05-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Very sad. Hopefully his family has a quick recovery and may Christian rest in peace.

echo46
07-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Very sad, my heart goes out to the family. I memory, I just purchased the jack.

danewilson77
08-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Bumping as a reminder to us all.....to slow down just a bit, when performing maintenance of our whips.

jayjay_dee
08-26-2011, 07:16 PM
thanks for the bump DW... will keep this story in mind, better safe than sorry....

danewilson77
08-26-2011, 07:21 PM
thanks for the bump DW... will keep this story in mind, better safe than sorry....

Yes sir.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

danewilson77
09-17-2011, 03:11 AM
Bump!

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

danewilson77
09-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Way up bruthas!

Be safe!

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

danewilson77
10-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Bump.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

echo46
10-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the reminder and reality check.

johnnyrad
10-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Wow....speechless... Just read through this and teared up...Have two young boys and can't even imagine..I use ramps, stands, and a jack all at once when I don't remove the tires and I'm always nervous as hell under there, which is oddly good in a way. Might have to add a second jack for good measure.

This thread should be read first and foremost by any new member as a painful reminder that safety can often be overlooked but should always be at the forefront of our minds.

danewilson77
02-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Bumping for DIYers......

cakM3
02-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Thanks Dane! Something good to always keep in the back of your mind when DIYing. For those who DIY, just be safe and ensure you have adequate measures in place so accidents like this will never happen.

Meric
02-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Woah Sorry to hear this. I'm paying more attention from now on.

Daddyoh
02-29-2012, 08:52 AM
This story has not left me since I read it last year. It leaves me with an absolute empty feeling every time I think about it, and has actually resulted in less adventures for me under my cars. I have two sons, and this is simply unimaginable.......but an affective reminder for us.

ryankokesh
02-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Yeah, thanks for bumping this, Dane. It's a good (albeit terribly saddening) reminder for everyone...

danewilson77
08-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Bump....

M3TA5IN
08-30-2012, 03:41 AM
I think about this thread every time I get under the car. Coming from lifted vehicles I'm not use to jacking the car up to get under it so I always go over board with safety and make sure Katie is out there with me in case I need her to jack the car up fast.

Good bump Dane

Sent from my fancy city machine.

danewilson77
08-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Yup.

I really want to get a set of these.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/1572__500_500.jpg

M3TA5IN
08-30-2012, 04:18 AM
Yup.

I really want to get a set of these.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/1572__500_500.jpg

Price, link? I've been looking at stands but can't find any local I feel comfortable with

danewilson77
08-30-2012, 04:20 AM
Price, link? I've been looking at stands but can't find any local I feel comfortable with

This was just a quick find. I think there are better options out there......plus....we don't need a 7 ton stand....FML.

http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/ProductDetails/Omega_Lift_Equipment/Pin_Style_Jack_Stands/32075/370

http://www.shinnfuamerica.com/ProductDetails/Omega_Lift_Equipment/Pin_Style_Jack_Stands/32075/370

danewilson77
08-30-2012, 04:25 AM
This is the shit....and it's pinned, and it's 52 bux...hehe

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-640912-All-In-One-3-Ton-Bottle/dp/B003ULZGFU/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1346329424&sr=1-1&keywords=jack+stand

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/41a6A-vAdLL__SS500_.jpg

I wonder if it's junk?

danewilson77
08-30-2012, 04:28 AM
Has anyone thought about this?

http://www.amazon.com/JET-SJ-5T-5-Ton-Screw-Jack/dp/B00079WOZI/ref=sr_1_20?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1346329564&sr=1-20&keywords=jack+stand

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/61llPV-DifL__AA1200_.jpg

M3TA5IN
08-30-2012, 04:29 AM
I'm generally skeptical of anything that's cheap lol. I have to fight with myself to buy anything from harbor freight even if it's just a wire brush.

Not saying that could be worth it but something cheap with bad hydraulics is worse than the normal stands IMHO.

danewilson77
08-30-2012, 05:12 AM
I've had great luck with the Pittsburgh Low profile I got from there on sale.

M3TA5IN
08-30-2012, 05:20 AM
I've had great luck with the Pittsburgh Low profile I got from there on sale.

Might have to look at that, the craftsmen low pro I got sucks ass

WOLFN8TR
08-30-2012, 06:02 AM
Wow so sad, sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for sharing your story with everyone. It will definitely make me think twice about safety while working under my car.

Rest in peace Christian...

M0nk3y
08-30-2012, 08:34 AM
I ended up grabbing 4, 4-Ton Craftsman Jacks Stands.

WOLFN8TR
11-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Bump

danewilson77
11-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Bump

Great bump. Always. Still thinking of you Christian.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Hermes
11-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I think of this every time I'm under the car, this thread should get a monthly bump for all those who haven't read it yet and like to DIY.

NorCalZman
11-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Wow. How utterly sad. I teared up. Thanks for bumping. My dad always used rachet jack stands when him and I were under the car along with a hydraulic jack for back up finishing it off with wheel chaulks. I always wanted ramps but the front end of my Z was to low/long. When I have my own home someday I will continue my dads practice but use these pin jack stands or ramps. Thanks for potentially saving another life, guys.

BimmerWill
11-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Just now noticed the article thank you for the bump. This is a very sad and sobering story. I have two types of jack stands at home. Two without the pins and the larger bulkier ones with pins. I usually use the ones without as they are a lot easier to move around. I had no idea striking the lever would cause them to collapse like that, ill be sure to use the larger ones from now on. Not worth the danger.
Prayers are with the family..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

WOLFN8TR
11-10-2012, 05:09 PM
I think of this every time I'm under the car, this thread should get a monthly bump for all those who haven't read it yet and like to DIY.

I was thinking of this thread BEFORE I got under my car last week to change my tranny oil. I ended up using ramps, jack stands and a hydraulic jack to take some weight off. After reading this I'm always safe under my vehicles and share this with everyone I know.

kayger12
11-11-2012, 04:43 AM
Yep-- think of this every time I'm going under the car.

Great bump.

danewilson77
11-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Saw this today in my building and thought of yous guys.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMAG1933.jpg

danewilson77
04-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Bump.

Just a reminder fella's.

Johnmadd
04-23-2013, 05:23 PM
I like the junk yard setup, rim laying down with another one up on the frame. ;)

danewilson77
06-19-2013, 03:17 AM
Bumping so we don't get complacent in our maintenance.

jringo
06-19-2013, 04:18 AM
Sad story but a great reminder. This bump comes at a great time as I'm just getting back into DIY'ing now that the kids are out of diapers and I have "more time". Would be great to see this under the "required newbie reading" category along with a list of recommended low profile ramps, jacks, and pin stands. With three young kids at home my ratchet stands will be going to the scrap pile.

danewilson77
06-19-2013, 04:44 AM
We have threads on safe jack points, safe stands and jacks, backups, and this story. I can consolidate into one thread and sticky with an appropriate title. Thanks for input.

HTC DNA ON TT4 BETA, WILLIAMSBURG, VA

Imola.ZHP
06-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Wow, that was a sobering read. Thanks for sharing.

WOLFN8TR
06-19-2013, 02:23 PM
We have threads on safe jack points, safe stands and jacks, backups, and this story. I can consolidate into one thread and sticky with an appropriate title. Thanks for input.

HTC DNA ON TT4 BETA, WILLIAMSBURG, VA

Great Idea Dane!

WOLFN8TR
02-20-2014, 07:06 PM
Bump...

YoitsTmac
11-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Wow, this was very sobering. This speaks really deeply to me. I actually had a whole thread on E46fanatics about how scared I am about the car falling from me. I went from computers to cars as a hobby in a third of a year. That's a hobby with very little risk to a hobby with life threatening risk. My jack has slipped three times on me. I always use jack stands if I go underneath or do any work for that matter. I've NEVER trusted my jack (gifted to me upon purchase of E46), but assumed this fear and stress was just part of DIY's. I always thought this normal until I did maintenance with a buddy 40 miles away who had a proper jack. Makes me enjoy doing DIY's. One of these days I'll get a nice jack, but until then, I'm doing all my under the car/suspension work with my buddy and his trusty jack.

Ridgey
11-17-2016, 11:44 AM
Insanely sad stuff. Sobering when I consider all the times I've been under my car.

I use wheel chocks, jackstands, and a jack but you still just never know. Thankfully, my jack stands are always on their lowest setting. This way I don't have to rely on the safety pin holding the raising mechanism up. When I change my oil, I usually use ramps and wheel chocks. This way if anything happens, the car will roll backwards away from me. Also, the car is much more solid. I would recommend this to everyone!

WOLFN8TR
11-17-2016, 06:10 PM
Every time I work underneath my car I ALWAYS think of this thread.

Karl Lazlo
11-17-2016, 06:24 PM
My 330ci, doing some rear suspension work. Note:

- Wheel chocks in front of front tires (barely seen)
- Floor jack not holding any weight (lift, don't hold)
- Jack stand(s). There is another out of frame
- Removed wheel placed under car to lend support if both jack stands give away.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr216/Karl_Lazlo/Public/20160508_094942_zpstjjdz7ru.jpg (http://s485.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Lazlo/media/Public/20160508_094942_zpstjjdz7ru.jpg.html)

Cars are a great hobby, but they can kill you in so many ways. No time to be cavelier when you and your friends are even close to being under it.

danewilson77
11-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Every time I work underneath my car I ALWAYS think of this thread.
Nice Gary. I do as well as I spoke to his father. Truly tragic and a lesson we all need to learn from.

Sent by the Pixel XL

stephenkirsh
11-23-2016, 12:43 PM
Good thread. You can never know too much about safety.

If you can keep the wheels on, I prefer jacking the car up and then lowering it onto ramps. Anybody else use those?

holyc0w
11-23-2016, 01:06 PM
I used them for the oil change. Jacked the front and lowered on to the ramps.

ELCID86
11-26-2016, 10:55 AM
Mostly use jack stands but I sometimes use ramps--just drive right onto them.

danewilson77
07-09-2017, 06:41 AM
Bump

Sent from my S8+

stephenkirsh
08-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Another bump with how I support the back half of the car.

Weight is on 2 jack stands. High quality ones for $45 a pop, already forgot the brand. Tripod shape.

Then two additional jack stands under the rear trailing arms to catch them if one of the stands fail.

Floor jack under jacking point, incase it drops.

Wheels under brake rotors to catch those in case it drops.

Can't always work on parts with all points of safety in place, but every bit helps.

stephenkirsh
08-19-2017, 07:11 PM
Helps if I add the photo...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170820/b75ca8406eb6f7c0ad206602761b5800.jpg

dkmcclelland
08-22-2017, 08:14 PM
Look at that beautiful California car!

STREETFIGHTER50
12-06-2020, 01:59 PM
Wow this is so sad to read. I know it’s old, but I just went through the thread. My heart goes out to the entire family. Makes me want to change out my ratcheting jackstands now. ☹️

Galapolis
12-06-2020, 02:38 PM
I once used two spare jacks to raise the rear of my car to install a rear sway bar. About a minute after I was done and got out of under the car the road (yes the road) collapsed and the car tipped over off one of the jacks. Luckily I had my rear tire under the side skirt. Always good to remind yourself of the dangers our hobby entails.

WOLFN8TR
12-06-2020, 04:39 PM
As stated years ago, I still think of this thread when working under my car. Honestly the main reason why I eventually purchased the QuickJack.

https://youtu.be/uqpxNjW90PU

Fried_Chicken
12-06-2020, 07:04 PM
I'm glad this was brought up again.

I use 3-ton jackstands, I put the wheels behind the jackstands typically. I don't see how putting wheels under the rotors helps. They will be in the way, and in the event of a collapse the suspension will still compress quite a bit (the suspension becomes decompressed when the car is raised). I also leave the floor jack in place (if possible, and unloaded), and before going underneath I ferociously shove the car at different angles (who knows what torque I'll be exerting when working), and kick the jackstands (I should add bashing the quick releases, they should be glued in place).

Will
12-06-2020, 11:36 PM
I once used two spare jacks to raise the rear of my car to install a rear sway bar. About a minute after I was done and got out of under the car the road (yes the road) collapsed and the car tipped over off one of the jacks. Luckily I had my rear tire under the side skirt. Always good to remind yourself of the dangers our hobby entails.

I think this is a good reminder for all to assess the surface underneath the jack and jack stands.

Asphalt is a relatively soft material that will deform and separate, especially if the feet of the jack stands are are basically sheet metal edges. Some stands have flat feet, which I think are better for spreading the load onto the surface. Also, concrete > asphalt.

Just as important is to assess the slope of the ground. Some driveways are more sloped than others, and depending on the direction of the slope your car can be tilting longitudinally or laterally. Cars can end up precariously perched while on jack stands on sloped ground.

Quickjacks keep looking better and better, especially for the price. I think it's about the same as my AC hydraulic jack and 4 Esco's. Had I known back then I would have just got a Quickjack.

I still use 2 wide wheels (busted wheels that I just keep around for this purpose) in addition to the Esco jack stands and the unloaded jack when I get underneath. I recall reading the initial post in this thread, scary stuff and tragic. It changed my perspective and practice.

- Don't forget wheel chocks if only using 2 jack stands.

Stay safe everyone.