PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Transmission and Yellow Brake Warning Lights In & Out. Meh.

billschusteriv
03-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Happened last Thursday morning while driving to work:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad185/bill_schuster/IMG00239-20110324-0807.jpg

Car was driving fine. Only noticable changes to the car after the lights came on was an audible ding, the shift points changed, and the cruise control refused to activate. I was a little more cautious... but the brakes were still responsive... transmission was shifting through all of the gears...

After four cycles of the ignition in the morning/afternoon, the lights went out.

Later that evening, the lights came back in and went out after two cycles of the ignition.

I was driving in rush hour traffic... stop and go... periods of acceleration (in sport mode) and hard stopping.

The brake fluid was changed last October and remains topped off.

No other indications of any issues.

Path forward:

I talked with my indy mechanic, who told me to stop by so we could see what (if any) codes came up. Was going to buy a code reader, but he recommeded I do some more research to make sure it does what I want. Definately an OBDII reader - which may not read transmission codes?

So... transmission issue... brake system issue... both systems are tied together...

We'll read some codes... and see what's going on... only final thought we had was that it could be early warning/failure of the stop light sensor being that I was doing a lot of braking.

Any other thoughts?

I'll try to keep this updated as things progress.

danewilson77
03-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Possible wheel sensor issue?

Droid! Srs Legitness!

billschusteriv
03-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Good thought - I look into checking the sensors also. Assuming you mean wheel speed/pulse sensors?

Alternatively, considering how the system is designed and dependant on other modules... this could be an issue with other modules... I didn't get any ABS/DSC warning lights, so I didn't consider those at first. :dunno

danewilson77
03-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Good thought - I look into checking the sensors also. Assuming you mean wheel speed/pulse sensors?

Alternatively, considering how the system is designed and dependant on other modules... this could be an issue with other modules... I didn't get any ABS/DSC warning lights, so I didn't consider those at first. :dunno

Yes......that's what I was referring to....and yes....the other two lights are usually attendant as well.

mikeyb74
03-30-2011, 11:31 AM
I've had that transmission light on before but that was from forgetting to plug the MAF back in. Just strange.

danewilson77
03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
The MAF, gave you the transmission warning light?

Droid! Srs Legitness!

mikeyb74
03-30-2011, 11:43 AM

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Strange I know.

One of my friends with a very high mileage an 04 325i kept having the transmission error warning light coming on acouple of weeks ago. He would pull over shut the carr down and restart it. The light would go off. He said the car felt like it was in limp mode. No power over 2K rpm. He also had the CEL, ABS, BRAKE, Brake Lining, and DSC warning lights all on. The car ended up needing a engine replacement. Something to do with the way the engine was running was causing the trans error warning light to come on.

billschusteriv
03-30-2011, 11:49 AM
I've had that transmission light on before but that was from forgetting to plug the MAF back in. Just strange.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Mmmmmm. Good data point.

Considering that it clears itself, I can only assume that it is some intermittent/bad condition, connection, or fault.

Still need to get the codes read. Will drop by mechanics house tomorrow night if all goes well.

Strange I know.

One of my friends with a very high mileage 325i kept having the transmission error warning light coming on acouple of weeks ago. He would pull over start the car down and restart it. The light would go off. He said the car felt like it was in limp mode. No power over 2K rpm. He did have a CEL, ABS, BRAKE, and Brake Lining all on. The car ended up needing a engine replacement. Something to do with the way the engine was running was causing the trans error warning light to come on.

:facepalm ^hopefully not this. I already replaced the engine and front diff. I'm expecting the trans will die eventually...

danewilson77
03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Strange I know.

One of my friends with a very high mileage an 04 325i kept having the transmission error warning light coming on acouple of weeks ago. He would pull over shut the carr down and restart it. The light would go off. He said the car felt like it was in limp mode. No power over 2K rpm. He also had the CEL, ABS, BRAKE, Brake Lining, and DSC warning lights all on. The car ended up needing a engine replacement. Something to do with the way the engine was running was causing the trans error warning light to come on.

I will ask again, when is the last time the fluid and filter were changed in his auto?

Droid! Srs Legitness!

mikeyb74
03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
It could be a sensor, plug, or connector loose.

mikeyb74
03-30-2011, 11:52 AM
I will ask again, when is the last time the fluid and filter were changed in his auto?

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Never...He is one that just piles on the mileage on his vehicles. I worked on it last fall and it needed alot of work. MAF, upper and lower intake boots, tune up, crankcase, O2 sensors, and whole cooling system. He just replaced the MAF, boots, and 2 O2 sensors. The car is in sad shape.

danewilson77
03-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Ok......there ya go.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

johnnye23
03-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Guessing what is wrong won't help. You need to have the code read to decide what action to take.

mikeyb74
03-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Ok......there ya go.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Now he is all pissed about having a $5K repair bill.

danewilson77
03-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Now he is all pissed about having a $5K repair bill.

Mmm.....I'm just gonna be nice and say....mmmmm.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

mikeyb74
03-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Mmm.....I'm just gonna be nice and say....mmmmm.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

I just kept my month shut.

danewilson77
03-30-2011, 12:09 PM
I just kept my month shut.

Hehe...you crack me up.

BP would have stabbed him...lol.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

kayger12
03-30-2011, 12:11 PM

Hat the same thing happen with my 325- definitely strange.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
03-30-2011, 12:26 PM
You guys have weird Bimmers...lol.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

mikeyb74
03-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Hehe...you crack me up.

BP would have stabbed him...lol.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

I warned him numerous times.

Hat the same thing happen with my 325- definitely strange.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Very weird...

You guys have weird Bimmers...lol.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Mine does weird things...

mikeyb74
04-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Bill, any updates?

vteckiller2000
04-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Check the electrical harness on the back of the transmission, right by the pan. Mine had some water in it shorting out connections to each other.

billschusteriv
06-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Update

Sorry I missed the posts guys. No further issues or lights illuminating since last reported.

Good suggestion vteckiller2k... I will definately check that out if I have any more issues.