PDA

View Full Version : BC Racing BR vs Bilstein PSS10

jonnyd330
12-05-2016, 12:07 PM
So I just got an 04 ZHP for my new daily and it has some leaking shocks so I am looking at getting coilovers. It seems like a lot of you are running the BC Racing setup which I am leaning towards with the swift spring upgrade. But I have been cruising around on retailers sites and came across a really good price on the Bilstein PSS10 so I was wondering if anyone has a comparison of them?

http://www.modbargains.com/bilstein-pss-and-pss10-coilovers-for-bmw-e46.htm

Edit: Never mind I just realized the PSS10 has a $600 up charge. I guess BC Racing is the way to go.

slater
12-05-2016, 12:19 PM
no comparison, really. bilstein build quality and damping is far superior.

that price is for the PSS (non-damping adjustable); if you click on the 'vehicle model / coilover system' drop down menu, you'll see that the PSS10 is another $646 - which is still cheaper than other places, but maybe by $50.

i personally run the PSS and i think they are pretty darn good. they are fantastic DD suspension, with a lifetime warranty.

az3579
12-05-2016, 12:55 PM
no comparison, really. bilstein build quality and damping is far superior.

This. BC is way too damn stiff; the quality of the ride out of the box with the Bilsteins is superior.
Also don't forget... Bilstein carries a lifetime warranty​.

It sure as hell hurt my pocket... but I'd say it was totally worth it.

Vas
12-05-2016, 01:35 PM
BC Racing is a cheap semi-entry level coilover system. Great for the stance crowd/hard parking crowd though.

Personally I would look into springs and shocks over BC Racing. Or in that price bracket, go with KW V1 or Bilstein PSS

BADCLOWN
12-05-2016, 04:47 PM
I run ground control coilovers with Adjustable koni shocks and custom eibach springs. It rides like factory and highly recommend it.

I'm also in agreeance with the other guys, bilstein is in a different/superior league

danewilson77
12-05-2016, 06:12 PM
BC Racing is a cheap semi-entry level coilover system. Great for the stance crowd/hard parking crowd though.

Personally I would look into springs and shocks over BC Racing. Or in that price bracket, go with KW V1 or Bilstein PSS
I thought these were what Chuck put on his ZHP?

You know.... The guy with a ZHP, and an E46 ///M3, and a Porsche.

Sent by the Pixel XL

cakM3
12-05-2016, 06:37 PM

Yeah..... that guy is running with BC Racing "BR series" coilovers in both his ZHP and M3 :p He has no complaints....

jonnyd330
12-05-2016, 06:45 PM
I guess I started somewhat of a religious war. :dunno

danewilson77
12-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Yeah..... that guy is running with BC Racing "BR series" coilovers in both his ZHP and M3 [emoji14] He has no complaints....

I guess I started somewhat of a religious war. :dunno
Lol.... Thought I would fan the flame a tad.

Sent by the Pixel XL

WOLFN8TR
12-06-2016, 05:27 AM
For daily driving Swift springs are overkill. I'm running BC BR Racing Coilovers on my M3 and they are decent if you spend the time adjusting them.

Vas
12-06-2016, 06:39 AM

Sent by the Pixel XL

Plenty of people have them. But that does not mean that they are a great coilover system. Plenty of concerns to be had with them in regards to the shock dyno ( poor damper valving ) , Lack of droop travel, made in taiwan, etc

NoVAphotog
12-06-2016, 07:17 AM
So I just got an 04 ZHP for my new daily and it has some leaking shocks so I am looking at getting coilovers. It seems like a lot of you are running the BC Racing setup which I am leaning towards with the swift spring upgrade. But I have been cruising around on retailers sites and came across a really good price on the Bilstein PSS10 so I was wondering if anyone has a comparison of them?

http://www.modbargains.com/bilstein-pss-and-pss10-coilovers-for-bmw-e46.htm

Edit: Never mind I just realized the PSS10 has a $600 up charge. I guess BC Racing is the way to go.

I have the PSS kit by Bilstein and love it. Perfect mixed DD/light autox and track use. Not too stiff, not too soft, don't have to mess around with dampening adjustment.

danewilson77
12-06-2016, 07:21 AM
Plenty of people have them. But that does not mean that they are a great coilover system. Plenty of concerns to be had with them in regards to the shock dyno ( poor damper valving ) , Lack of droop travel, made in taiwan, etc
But I think something can be said for them, by people who use them (DD), and have never had an issue with them.

Historical, non track scenario data, has to count for something.

Sent by the Pixel XL

Vas
12-06-2016, 07:43 AM
But I think something can be said for them, by people who use them (DD), and have never had an issue with them.

Sent by the Pixel XL

NoVAphotog
12-06-2016, 07:45 AM

Correct. In the same way the butt dyno results count for other modifications...for the individual. :)

NoVAphotog
12-06-2016, 07:45 AM

:like

danewilson77
12-06-2016, 07:46 AM
Correct. In the same way the butt dyno results count for other modifications...for the individual. :)
Not really.

Sure

Sent by the Pixel XL

Johnmadd
12-06-2016, 07:55 AM
I like my bc coilovers and I dd my zhp. Over the 2000 mile round trip to the reunion I had nothing but a great experience.

slater
12-06-2016, 07:57 AM

i agree, however i am going put this out there:

some folks are just more sensitive (read: picky) about suspension (quality, ride, handling, performance) than others. one man's idea of good handling does not necessarily jive with another's idea.

gary's comment about taking the time to setup the suspension is a good one. the BC Racing configuration allows for full-body height adjustment - which is nice - but then there is proper preload on the main spring (is there a helper on that setup?), matching the damping to the BC-spec'ed spring rates (which we have to assume are correct, but vas mentioned poor valving), etc. with a setup with so many options, actually setting it up right will probably only happen in 1/10 installations (i'm painting a broad stroke here). so actual performance is subjective - i would certainly love to drive gary's car and see how they perform!

in regards to quality - i can only go by anecdotal evidence, but it is enough to make me decide to steer clear of their products for my own vehicles.

Vas
12-06-2016, 08:18 AM
i agree, however i am going put this out there:

some folks are just more sensitive (read: picky) about suspension (quality, ride, handling, performance) than others. one man's idea of good handling does not necessarily jive with another's idea.

gary's comment about taking the time to setup the suspension is a good one. the BC Racing configuration allows for full-body height adjustment - which is nice - but then there is proper preload on the main spring (is there a helper on that setup?), matching the damping to the BC-spec'ed spring rates (which we have to assume are correct, but vas mentioned poor valving), etc. with a setup with so many options, actually setting it up right will probably only happen in 1/10 installations (i'm painting a broad stroke here). so actual performance is subjective - i would certainly love to drive gary's car and see how they perform!

in regards to quality - i can only go by anecdotal evidence, but it is enough to make me decide to steer clear of their products for my own vehicles.

I am going to leave the discussion alone. No need to get into a full blown conversation.

slater
12-06-2016, 08:35 AM
I am going to leave the discussion alone. No need to get into a full blown conversation.

yeah, save some face. i already made myself look like an ass. ;)

danewilson77
12-06-2016, 09:42 AM
yeah, save some face. i already made myself look like an ass. ;)
Nope. Not at all. I appreciate and understand the perspective.

Sent by the Pixel XL

holyc0w
12-06-2016, 10:00 AM
+1

Better to hear all sides

Thanks

cakM3
12-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Nope. Not at all. I appreciate and understand the perspective.

Totally agree here :thumbsup