PDA

View Full Version : Power Window Click Noise

quikryptonite
03-29-2011, 09:33 AM
I really hope this isn't really bad news, but I engaged the automatic window roll down this morning on my way into the parking garage at work. There was a click as the window was about halfway down and it stopped rolling down. I panicked and heard all the horror stories in my head about the power window motor burning out in the E46.

However, I pulled into my parking spot and then hit the button again and got the window to go back up again with no problem. Do I need to be concerned or was it just a glitch?

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Other%20cars/Car20146-1-1.jpg

kayger12
03-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Sounds like the regulator is starting to go. There's a DIY available for it. Common failure item.

Link here (http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356847)which also contains a link to the zip tie fix.

bullfrogs_M3
03-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Start ordering your window regulator NOW, cause that ish is gonna fail on you ANY day now.

www.getbmwparts.com
or
www.autohausaz.com (this place is probably your cheapest out there)

I use autohausaz.com, but I am a little biased as they are based out of here in Phoenix and shipping is next day no matter what I do. Plus they really are DIRT CHEAP OEM parts.

mimalmo
03-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I wouldn't use that window again until you are ready to fix it.

Mtnman
03-29-2011, 11:42 AM
saw them on www.carparts.com too, which is a sponser. They were 50-60 bucks each. Make sure to use the link from the advertisers page.

Johnmadd
03-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Mine wouldn't go down one morning a few months back and next time I drove it it was fine and hasn't happened since.

bullfrogs_M3
03-29-2011, 11:44 AM
saw them on www.carparts.com too, which is a sponser. They were 50-60 bucks each. Make sure to use the link from the advertisers page.

Ahhh didn't know we had a sponsor on here who sold these. Good deal then! Upvote for a sponsor deal :)

Mtnman
03-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Yup. They will NOT be OEM, but the OEM ones dont hold up, so why not try a cheap replacement? Personally, I would on an item like this. Would NOT if it was a water pump, or other crucial element.

quikryptonite
03-30-2011, 08:45 AM
I really hope this isn't really bad news, but I engaged the automatic window roll down this morning on my way into the parking garage at work. There was a click as the window was about halfway down and it stopped rolling down. I panicked and heard all the horror stories in my head about the power window motor burning out in the E46.

However, I pulled into my parking spot and then hit the button again and got the window to go back up again with no problem. Do I need to be concerned or was it just a glitch?

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Other%20cars/Car20146-1-1.jpg

I am a little, well I will be honest, a lot nervous about tearing my door apart. I talked to a local import garage and they said if the clips are bad they could repair it for around $100. If the regulator itself is bad it would be upwards of $200-300. Would it be worth it to just get the regulator fixed and not worry about it in the future?

Mtnman
03-30-2011, 08:49 AM
For 300 bucks???? damn. I wouldnt. The door dissasembly is easy. You can buy a whole new regulator, oem, for 100 bucks. I give the process a 2/10 difficulty scale. Ive done it many times. I have a write up in the diy section.....keith linked to it for the zip tie fix above. That would walk you through replacing the regulator too. But, each his own. If it scares you that much, then maybe the mechanic is the way to go.

quikryptonite
03-30-2011, 10:31 AM
For 300 bucks???? damn. I wouldnt. The door dissasembly is easy. You can buy a whole new regulator, oem, for 100 bucks. I give the process a 2/10 difficulty scale. Ive done it many times. I have a write up in the diy section.....keith linked to it for the zip tie fix above. That would walk you through replacing the regulator too. But, each his own. If it scares you that much, then maybe the mechanic is the way to go.

Maybe I'll have to look into that. I was thinking it would be a huge nightmare to take the panel off and mess with the electronics and such. Thanks.

Mtnman
03-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Naa, its really not. The only sketchy part is hanging the airbag....but thats cause im scared of the damn thing blowing up in my face! lol. But if i can carry my baby boy without dropping him, I should be able to handle that thing without dropping it! lol

danewilson77
03-30-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm sure he feels much better now. Thanks Mtn.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

apridge
09-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Maybe I'll have to look into that. I was thinking it would be a huge nightmare to take the panel off and mess with the electronics and such. Thanks.

Do you have an update on this repair? Did you end up doing it yourself, or have a mechanic take care of it? (where do you take your car usually?)

My rear window makes a repeated clicking noise as it rolls down, but rolls back up strong and quietly. I have a feeling it's going to need some attention soon.

danewilson77
09-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Do you have an update on this repair? Did you end up doing it yourself, or have a mechanic take care of it? (where do you take your car usually?)

My rear window makes a repeated clicking noise as it rolls down, but rolls back up strong and quietly. I have a feeling it's going to need some attention soon.

More than likely, you are correct in your thinking. Regulator is Prolly going to go out soon. I just did this a few days ago. Took about an hour. You can do this.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

jreyes19
10-21-2011, 03:38 PM
ok I would like to bump this thread sorry OP if you are still using this,
i just did not want to make another window thread (hope that is ok Mods)

my driver side window will no longer go down, the motor works and will push the window up but will
not pull it down

does it just need to be put back on the track? anyone else have this problem

danewilson77
10-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Pull panel and inspect. You are most likely correct. May wanna institute zip tie fix while in there.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

jreyes19
10-21-2011, 04:10 PM
ok
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1388-BMW-E46-window-regulator-zip-tie-fix
so this is to keep that wire on that track?

danewilson77
10-21-2011, 04:16 PM
ok
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1388-BMW-E46-window-regulator-zip-tie-fix

Yrs sir. Only works on front esha though. Just a data point.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

jreyes19
10-21-2011, 04:19 PM
thanks for the quick response
good thing it happened on a friday so i have time on Saturday to fix :)

RVAzhp
10-26-2011, 04:05 PM
I am a little, well I will be honest, a lot nervous about tearing my door apart. I talked to a local import garage and they said if the clips are bad they could repair it for around $100. If the regulator itself is bad it would be upwards of $200-300. Would it be worth it to just get the regulator fixed and not worry about it in the future?

door is easy to rip down. clips from local BMW dealership (~$15 depending on how many you buy) + zip ties + a window motor from Rock Auto ($25).

i've been messing with my window a few times trying to get the ziptie situation right and the last time i finally switched the motor that i got from RockAuto..so for $40 bucks i've got a basically fine setup.

i just noticed my passenger side is being sluggish (never noticed since my driverside was SOOO slow) that i'll probably purchase another motor from RockAuto for cheap and ghetto rig some more zipties.

RVAzhp
10-26-2011, 04:07 PM
ok

i definitely didnt take it all the way out. the nut that goes through the glass was almost impossible to get out and i did all the work with it still on the door. if you roll the window down half-wayish you can get in there and do the zipties.

danewilson77
10-26-2011, 04:21 PM
OK...I did this tonight. 1 hour, 45 minutes. Bentley helped out in a couple of spots. Def disconnect the battery as you will be removing the SRS airbag module in the door. The screws for the window come out very easy as long as you position the window properly. It's ok....to have battery connected, once you get in there to position the window properly. Do not....under any circumstance.....connect battery with the airbag module disconnected. Remove the entire regulator, and perform zip tie fix.

RVAzhp
10-27-2011, 06:03 AM
i've never disconnected the battery...of course i've always lived in fear of the airbag blowing up in my face as well...

danewilson77
10-27-2011, 01:12 PM
i've never disconnected the battery...of course i've always lived in fear of the airbag blowing up in my face as well...

Drive down and we'll look at it.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Go Horns!
11-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Was getting an Inspection I at the local indy today, and out of curiosity I asked how much it was to fix a window regulator. He showed me an invoice for another e46 that was in the shop that day, $579 for both fronts. So the $200-300 quote sounds about right.

I need to do the front driver-side and both rears. Hoping to DIY over the Thanksgiving holidays.

danewilson77
11-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Yes...diy.

Mtnman
11-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Glad the zip tie write up is helping folks! Its not a final solution, but so far mine have lasted for 2 yrs!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk