PDA

View Full Version : M3 cluster, remove DSC light, change VIN, increase mileage?

nextelbuddy
12-26-2016, 10:26 AM
*******solution*********
Used INPA to calibrate and initialize the steering angle sensor resolved the DSC light issue after swapping in an M3 cluster.

so i have the DSC light and want to remove it. i am familiar withusing INPA and NCS expert and have successfully coded RLS retrofit, TPMS at the very least.

i am waiting on a PAsoft adapter as well.

my car has MS45 DME, stock LCM and M3 cluster.

i will be doing S54 swap in Jan which will include obviously the MS54 DME

should I wait to do this?

can oit just be done now ahead of time to mark one more thing off m check list?

car has 165k miles

M3 cluster has 137k miles. i want the M3 cluster to adopt the 165k miles AND vin frommy car

is this possible with out having to do the eprom swap/coding i keep seeing?

i would like to avoid the EPROm swap and if thats because of mileage chanve, then I would be content with just changing the VIN so i can get rid of the DSC.

any help or advice please would be greatly appreciated.

terraphantm
12-26-2016, 10:38 AM
DSC light should be possible to remove. Has nothing to do with the VIN.

VIN can be changed w/ PASoft. Mileage has to be done with an EEPROM programmer.

nextelbuddy
12-26-2016, 11:24 AM
DSC light should be possible to remove. Has nothing to do with the VIN.

VIN can be changed w/ PASoft. Mileage has to be done with an EEPROM programmer.

ok so mileage im not too worried about, i have my mileage written down of both clusters so I can match up the difference at any time if i want the true number.

so the DSC light, do you have any ideas on that?

i tried looking at the TRC file for the KMB in DUMMY and didnt see anything in reference to DSC light. INPA did show several errors for the cluster but i cleared them and they havent come back.

i can wait for PASoft when ever it ships to me to do the VIN.

the reason i thought DSC light was VIN related was that i read so many forum posts on these things and saw more than 1 occurrence of people stating that DSC light was the result is VIN being off being related to the VO of the car?

would oy be able to point me in the right direction to at least clearing the DSC light?

thank you!

nextelbuddy
12-27-2016, 12:13 PM
just found this on another forum

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1831881-Used-cluster(kombi)-swap-Dsc-problem-steering-wheel-sensor-calibration

someone had a similar issue after cluster swap and DSC light was showing in cluster. they fired up INPA and calibrated the steering angle sensor.

ill give this a try tonight to see if it works.

nextelbuddy
12-27-2016, 07:49 PM
Update, using INPA to calibrate the steering angle sensor worked like a charm and my DSC System is functioning properly now.

CarbonZHP
02-12-2017, 12:07 PM
What model year M3 was your cluster from? Did you get the mileage and tamper dot solved?

nextelbuddy
02-12-2017, 12:25 PM
What model year M3 was your cluster from? Did you get the mileage and tamper dot solved?

My M3 cluster was from a 2002 model. it was not the one Terra recommended in one of his threads.

the Tamper dot for now was solved from me using PASoft to change the Cluster module to match the LCM in terms of SEDAN 330i and then adjusting the LCM mileage to match the cluster since I cant modify the cluster mileage.

CarbonZHP
02-12-2017, 12:43 PM
So no tamper dot but it shows a higher mileage than you actually have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
02-13-2017, 05:16 PM
If lower, that can be fixed. It may be possible to fix if over too. I'm not sure what happens when the cluster hits all 9s. I assume it rolls back over and restarts.

CarbonZHP
02-13-2017, 05:19 PM
I was more worried about buying a cluster from the correct model year but it seems like it doesn't matter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nextelbuddy
02-13-2017, 06:19 PM
So no tamper dot but it shows a higher mileage than you actually have?

My car has 165k miles and so did my LCM.my m3 cluster was from a 2002 car and has 137k miles. It was no way for me to get the cluster to read up and change to get 165k miles. So to get rid of the tamper dot. I had to change the miles in the LCM down to 137,000 to match the cluster

Unless Terra knows about something special or specific requiring the use of a certain type of cluster I don't think it really matters I mean in my car I was able to code out all the lights and everything works DSC light is out and it works properly. I have no warning lights everything seems to be good.

ELCID86
02-15-2017, 03:05 AM
My car has 165k miles and so did my LCM.my m3 cluster was from a 2002 car and has 137k miles. It was no way for me to get the cluster to read up and change to get 165k miles. So to get rid of the tamper dot. I had to change the miles in the LCM down to 137,000 to match the cluster

Unless Terra knows about something special or specific requiring the use of a certain type of cluster I don't think it really matters I mean in my car I was able to code out all the lights and everything works DSC light is out and it works properly. I have no warning lights everything seems to be good.

There is a way to VERY quickly increase your mileage iot get it right. I'll see if I can find it and PM you.

nextelbuddy
02-15-2017, 05:38 AM
There is a way to VERY quickly increase your mileage iot get it right. I'll see if I can find it and PM you.

That would be awesome!

I got my car inspected last year with 165k and in August of this year have to go back and it's not going to be good if my cluster has less mileage.

Overboost
02-15-2017, 06:19 AM
I was under the impression the Motorola M35080 chip needed to be programmed to 0 miles or swapped out with original chip? But then again, I'm still learning... :ninja

az3579
02-15-2017, 07:05 AM
I was under the impression the Motorola M35080 chip needed to be programmed to 0 miles or swapped out with original chip? But then again, I'm still learning... :ninja

Not many enthusiasts have the capability of doing this. I only know of Terra that can do it... don't know who else.

CarbonZHP
02-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Theres an 02 M3 Cluster near me for 100. Higher mileage than me. Should I pick it up?

nextelbuddy
02-15-2017, 01:43 PM
Theres an 02 M3 Cluster near me for 100. Higher mileage than me. Should I pick it up?

i havent heard from ELCID86 on this method of getting the Mileage to go UP and i dont eve know if that applies to going down.. im gonna say probably not.

how much higher? i would look for something slightly less than yours but not much if possible.

if you get it, keep in mind that the 2002 clusters aka 22H code need one thing to get illumination to work properly.. the 23H clusters illuminate via the Can bus system where as the 22H clusters need power via a wire.

i have that info in this thread.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?19188-M3-cluster-in-E46-no-parking-illumination-light-(Fix-updated)&highlight=cluster

CarbonZHP
02-15-2017, 01:45 PM
Just trying to narrow down my search criteria. So higher than 2002 and less miles than mine.

nextelbuddy
02-15-2017, 01:51 PM
Just trying to narrow down my search criteria. So higher than 2002 and less miles than mine.

do you care about having to run a separate wire for illumination like I did? if not then 22H is fine and run the wire like in my post.

if you do care then yes you need to find a 23 H cluster which are usually 2003+

CarbonZHP
02-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Not necessarily. I wonder if theres anything to do about a cluster with higher miles. If necessary, I would be capable of desoldering the EEPROM.

Overboost
02-15-2017, 02:40 PM
If I understand correctly, it is always easier to retrofit later components than currently installed but much more difficult to install older components than currently installed as nextelbuddy has pointed out. Try to get a cluster of the same year or later.

az3579
02-15-2017, 02:40 PM
i havent heard from ELCID86 on this method of getting the Mileage to go UP and i dont eve know if that applies to going down.. im gonna say probably not.

The method only applies to putting in a lower mileage cluster. It involves changing how quickly it counts miles. There is a way to do it with PA soft where it counts the miles extremely rapidly. He upped his thousands of miles in no time at all using this method.

The problem with the method is that you'll never get an exact mileage on your car again. It's very difficult to sync it up precisely, so "close enough" is probably as good as it's gonna get.

CarbonZHP
02-15-2017, 02:41 PM
I wonder if there is a preference for MS45

nextelbuddy
02-15-2017, 05:55 PM
The method only applies to putting in a lower mileage cluster. It involves changing how quickly it counts miles. There is a way to do it with PA soft where it counts the miles extremely rapidly. He upped his thousands of miles in no time at all using this method.

The problem with the method is that you'll never get an exact mileage on your car again. It's very difficult to sync it up precisely, so "close enough" is probably as good as it's gonna get.

Yes this exactly what I need my cluster has less miles than my car and I need my cluster that has Les Miles to increase the mileage to match the chassis of my car. So if anybody has the steps or directions on what to do in Pasoft then please let me know.very interested in this method.

I'm perfectly happy if i overshoot or undershoot the mileage... I just need it close enough.

CarbonZHP
02-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Can probably be done by changing the factor of correction for measuring the wheel speed

ELCID86
02-16-2017, 02:10 PM
That's right BP and what I'm trying to find the instructions to. Need to have PAsoft...

I got mine "close enough " maybe a bit over.

ELCID86
02-16-2017, 02:13 PM
PM sent.

CarbonZHP
02-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Just bought my cluster. 02 car. Just need the pa soft and illumination wire information

CarbonZHP
02-16-2017, 09:37 PM
Bought the cluster. Threw it in. Quite a few issues. The options needed to calibrate the steering angle sensor are not visible for me in inpa. Also when I attempt to code the IKE with pa soft, I get "No coding data retrieved". Also as seen by the picture below,I was able to copy some information to the new ike but the vin remains. Thanks guys.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170217/6da0fce8b08cd63bc176a36cf91cb4aa.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170217/651afc41832f5c274121f38563e4520a.jpg

nextelbuddy
02-17-2017, 06:02 AM
never seen the CAN message before. Did this happen before you did the sync from LCM to IKE? before i did anything, i copied all values of LCM and IKE such as VIN, mileage, and any other values could see into a text file so that if i needed to restore values, I could. maybe try setting the cluster back to original and see if it responds?

for the DSC, i followed these INPA directions:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1831881-Used-cluster(kombi)-swap-Dsc-problem-steering-wheel-sensor-calibration

Hey

I had problems with the original cluster and i bought a used one. Be sure that it's not older than the original! Newer works fine. Preferably to the same engine and gearbox.

After the swap everything works fine, but i got the DSC light and the yellow handbrake light constantly on! And then of course the stability control doesn't work.

I downloaded the "Bmw standard tools 5.0" and installed it to my computer. Follow the instructions carefully. You will also need the Inpa/ediabas cable to connect to obd2 on the car, and to your computer. I also use a usb to serial cable. When you get the "INPA" to function choose "E46", "Chassis", "Steering angle sensor" Double click, and then there is a "Special job" on one of the "F" or shift "F" options. I am not hooked up to the car, so i can't give exact explanation. But once you find it, it's the F1 job, there is a message that says "sterring wheel must be aligned straight forward!" Hit F1 and you will calibrate your steering angle sensor. After this the lights went out and everything functions!

CarbonZHP
02-17-2017, 08:37 AM
I did the lcm to Ike sync and I believe that's why some of the information matches now. I have yet to change the vin because I don't know how. Also I tried to follow those instructions in inpa but I have no 'special' option

Overboost
02-17-2017, 10:15 AM
I did the lcm to Ike sync and I believe that's why some of the information matches now. I have yet to change the vin because I don't know how. Also I tried to follow those instructions in inpa but I have no 'special' option

Can you sync EWS to LKE? From the thread below:

"EWS-Reprogramming-Copy ZCS/FA coding

Then you will see

IKE to EWS
EWS to IKE

Select EWS to IKE

After i did this, i went to

IKE-Reprogramming-Write FGSTNR
Then i entered the last 7 of my vin and it was done"

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/385514-BMW-Scanner-1-4-quot-factory-defaults-quot-function-for-cluster-VIN-change

CarbonZHP
02-17-2017, 10:18 AM
Perfect. I did the ews to Ike but didn't know where to enter vin. I'll update how it goes. Also, the cluster was sold as from an 02 car but illumination works and it shows as a 23 coding index.

terraphantm
02-17-2017, 10:24 AM

In general I would only recommend 03.5 or newer. They're easier to get working on non-Ms

Higher mileage isn't an issue if you're able to reprogram the m35080 chip.

Overboost
02-17-2017, 10:43 AM
Perfect. I did the ews to Ike but didn't know where to enter vin. I'll update how it goes. Also, the cluster was sold as from an 02 car but illumination works and it shows as a 23 coding index.

"IKE-Reprogramming-Write FGSTNR

I read it as click on the IKE and then reprogramming. Select Write FGSTNR. Put in the last 7 of your VIN. Viola!

az3579
02-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Can you sync EWS to LKE? From the thread below:

"EWS-Reprogramming-Copy ZCS/FA coding

Then you will see

IKE to EWS
EWS to IKE

Select EWS to IKE

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/385514-BMW-Scanner-1-4-quot-factory-defaults-quot-function-for-cluster-VIN-change

In general I would only recommend 03.5 or newer. They're easier to get working on non-Ms

Higher mileage isn't an issue if you're able to reprogram the m35080 chip.

So this process only works with clusters that have less miles?

Overboost
02-17-2017, 11:51 AM
So this process only works with clusters that have less miles?
This is just the VIN input. I am still learning about the mileage modification. To the best of my knowledge, the M35080 chip can be reflashed or replaced with the original chip from the original cluster. Some members have indicated it is possible to increment the miles quickly using a method in PA Soft 1.4 but I do not know the procedure yet. Higher mileage clusters need to have the M35080 chip flashed or replaced.

CarbonZHP
02-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Trying to change the vin and I get "for this algorithm use the function Factory defaults and then write fgstnr" but he Factory defaults option is grayed out

CarbonZHP
02-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Tried switching algorithms. Nothing worked. I pulled this unit out and I'll be looking for a later model year

nextelbuddy
02-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Tried switching algorithms. Nothing worked. I pulled this unit out and I'll be looking for a later model year

That's really weird because yours is newer than mine. Yours is a 23 H mine is 22h

CarbonZHP
02-17-2017, 01:15 PM
Yeah I'm pretty confused. If fought me everywhere. Also the CAN error was strange

Overboost
02-17-2017, 04:24 PM
Trying to change the vin and I get "for this algorithm use the function Factory defaults and then write fgstnr" but he Factory defaults option is grayed out

I'm sure you have checked but I just want to see you get this fixed. The only time I have ever got that message is when the algorithm was not correct. I saw you had tried other algorithms. Did you copy ZCS/FA from the EWS in the first step?

CarbonZHP
02-18-2017, 07:03 PM
I believe the first step was to copy from the LCM to IKE and yes I did that. I just bought a 2004 M3 cluster out of annoyance and liking the look of the M3 one too much to go back. It will be here this week. 24H

Overboost
02-18-2017, 07:18 PM
I believe the first step was to copy from the LCM to IKE and yes I did that. I just bought a 2004 M3 cluster out of annoyance and liking the look of the M3 one too much to go back. It will be here this week. 24H

I have not personally done this but I thought reading this that the first step was to Copy ZCS/FA first then select EWS to IKE. Maybe that configures the algorithm? I am watching this closely, if you make it happen and are happy with the results, I might take that 2003 M3 cluster off your hands. :thumbsup

EWS-Reprogramming-Copy ZCS/FA coding

Then you will see

IKE to EWS
EWS to IKE

Select EWS to IKE

Then i entered the last 7 of my vin and it was done

CarbonZHP
02-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Interesting. Coding the Ike from within the ews menu. No I don't believe I did that. I'll have to look tomorrow. Either way I'm going to have 2 m3 clusters now. The current one is smg and the one coming is manual so I'll have to decide which I sell

Overboost
02-18-2017, 08:12 PM
Interesting. Coding the Ike from within the ews menu. No I don't believe I did that. I'll have to look tomorrow. Either way I'm going to have 2 m3 clusters now. The current one is smg and the one coming is manual so I'll have to decide which I sell

I am just beginning to research the M3 cluster swap so I am truly in the early learning process. I have an automatic so I am unsure which cluster will best suit my application (SMG or Manual). As I said, I am anxiously watching your progress and look forward to reading all the input from you and our other members.

CarbonZHP
02-19-2017, 12:28 PM
The Copy ZCS coding option within the EWS menu is grayed out for me. Hoping the next cluster that comes will play nicer.

CarbonZHP
02-21-2017, 01:45 PM
Put in my second m3 cluster today. Really regretting how much I've spent on a failed project. This one doesn't have the COM error but everything works just as poorly. To try and reset it, I wrote a blank all 00 to the Eeprom. This brought up an EWS-> IKE option that was not there before. I am able to write the Eeprom from the old cluster onto the m3 one, but the metering of all the needles is wrong. So now I'm stuck with 2 clusters, one of which doesn't even have the m3 Eeprom anymore.

Overboost
02-21-2017, 09:15 PM
Hopefully one of our members who has done this or knows a solution will jump in. Don't give up. It's all coding. We just need some guidance.

nextelbuddy
02-22-2017, 05:52 AM
I honestly dont know why you had or did fool with any EWS to IKE syncing etc..

I literally installed my M3 cluster with nothing and for the most part just had a tamper dot and DSC light.

as i said before I used INPA to recalibrate the steering angle sensor and that went away (maybe its in a different area in your version of INPA start digging around)

for the tamper dot I used PASoft..

i used PASoft to read the IKE first.. i copied ALL values t notepad such as the:

FGSTNR
ADFG
ODOMETER

I then did the same for my LSM

i did that so i had all my original values to revert back to in case something happened.

once i had my original values then i tried modifying the IKE Odometer.... that swhen PASoft told me i couldnt do that because my cluster had that specific chip that doesnt allow writing.

so then I just loaded up the LCM in PASoft, changed the values for Odometer there and saved... wrote it out etc.. (i made sure i used the proper algorithm for my LCM hardware/software version)

then went to load up the IKE and did a LCM----IKE copy... saved..

tamper dot gone and cluster is good.

this was on 2 clusters both with 22H.

i never fiddled with EWS copying etc...

try looking at your LCM and copying the values for FGSTNR and ADFG then plugging those into the IKE/cluster and see if that helps at all.

CarbonZHP
02-22-2017, 09:19 AM
When you guys used INPA to recalibrate the Steering Angle, which version INPA was it? Im reading that I may need to use 3.0.1. I am using 5.02. As for everything else, I currently have no tamper dot, but not in the way I want. If you write the new IKE vin to the lcm, it will remove the tamper dot and keep whatever mileage is on the new cluster. That means I currently have no dot, and its showing 22k less miles than the car has. Might be ok for me to live with since I don't plan on selling the car, but still not the best solution.

nextelbuddy
02-22-2017, 12:33 PM
When you guys used INPA to recalibrate the Steering Angle, which version INPA was it? Im reading that I may need to use 3.0.1. I am using 5.02. As for everything else, I currently have no tamper dot, but not in the way I want. If you write the new IKE vin to the lcm, it will remove the tamper dot and keep whatever mileage is on the new cluster. That means I currently have no dot, and its showing 22k less miles than the car has. Might be ok for me to live with since I don't plan on selling the car, but still not the best solution.

but thats what we all talked about before was that you can not change the mileage in the cluster no matter what via software. thats the same thing as my car.. .my has 166k, cluster has 137k.. had to write cluster mileage to LCM to get them to match thats all.

the 2 fixes were send the cluster to Terra if he still accepts these things, and he can desolder the eeprom that contains the mileage and correct it that way OR us PASoft to change tire size scaling to get the cluster to increase 8k miles for every 1 mile you do.

Where you do that i have no idea because the directions I got from Shawn (ELCID86) had directions that included a screen shot but the image was down and i cant see where it was saying to go in PASoft.

as far as INPA, I believe mine is 5 or higher. i cant verify now because my laptop is at home.

the steering angle calibration was buried either in the MK60 module or the cluster module in one of the F8 options I believe.

CarbonZHP
02-22-2017, 12:42 PM
I found the special programs. Turned out I was using 3.0 already and the special programs were contained in the home screen, not within the steering angle menu itself, so I'll try that out shortly. Theoretically then we could write the cluster vin to the lcm to get rid of tamper, and then change the tire size parameter to bring the mileage up, resulting in (near) correct mileage with no tamper dot

CarbonZHP
02-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Edit: Ignore my idiocy

CarbonZHP
10-17-2017, 07:56 AM
Which parameter did you guys modify to add mileage quickly?

nextelbuddy
10-17-2017, 09:24 AM
you need to use PASoft. when you access the cluster/ike>coding data .......there will be an option to adjust tire scaling. the issue you MAY run into which is what I had was that the M3 cluster did not have a coding data button or the menu wouldnt work.

Terra helped me out in this thread.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?20132-how-to-change-M3-cluster-back-to-M3-ZCS-FA