PDA

View Full Version : Possible to lock car with key in ignition?

holyc0w
01-04-2017, 06:03 PM
I wanted to do a manual "remote" start (start the car with one key, and then lock with the other). But I found that the locks wouldn't lock. Is that something that can be coded?

TheFinanceGuy
01-05-2017, 11:08 AM
I've actually never tried doing this.

Perhaps BP would know if this could be coded.

az3579
01-05-2017, 11:59 AM
I've done this before... you can lock the car with the spare key while the car is running with the first key.

holyc0w
01-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Manually or through the key remote? I'm assuming the spare key means not the plastic one?

Can those locks on the inside be locked by hand before closing the door?

az3579
01-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Manually or through the key remote? I'm assuming the spare key means not the plastic one?

Remote. By spare I mean the 2nd fullsize key, not the grey plastic valet key.

Can those locks on the inside be locked by hand before closing the door?

Don't know. I don't think you can lock the doors with the inside button unless all of the doors are closed, but I don't remember.

terraphantm
01-05-2017, 01:36 PM
I've done this before... you can lock the car with the spare key while the car is running with the first key.

Something with the ignition switch might be broken then, you're not supposed to be able to do that.

az3579
01-05-2017, 03:17 PM
Something with the ignition switch might be broken then, you're not supposed to be able to do that.

Perhaps - I have replaced the ignition switch at some point. I don't remember if that was before or after I replaced it, but I just went downstairs to check again. I was not able to lock the car with the remote, but I was able to lock all the doors with the key in the door.

holyc0w
01-07-2017, 09:41 AM
I was not able to lock the car with the remote, but I was able to lock all the doors with the key in the door.

Yep

It can't be locked with the remote, main interior switch, or interior door lock. It has to be locked by key, though I'm not sure if I want to test the durability of the lock.

az3579
01-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Yep

It can't be locked with the remote, main interior switch, or interior door lock. It has to be locked by key, though I'm not sure if I want to test the durability of the lock.

May I ask what you need this functionality for?
If it's to start your car and let it warm up, just know that doing so puts extra wear on your engine. It's better to just wait a few seconds after starting and then start driving lightly to warm it up.

holyc0w
01-07-2017, 12:48 PM
It's better to just wait a few seconds after starting and then start driving lightly to warm it up.

Which I do usually (99.999% of the time, 100% with the ZHP), though it's been getting pretty cold. It's the cold where after 5-10+ minutes, you can still see the steam from breathing. The windows get fogged up and the defroster blows arctic breeze in your face. Shifts are also extra stiff for a while. I'm not one for wearing a ski mask.

Overboost
01-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Wow, so happy to see you are still around terraphantm! I have been learning the coding on E46 features lately and have been reading your posts from last year all over the web. I spend a lot of time on the other E46 site but you were the only one that had actually done the features I wanted (folding mirrors on lock/unlock, brake force display and other various C36 LCM features. No one over there knew how to do it and I figured it all out reading your posts. Thank you!

Just curious, is there any advantage for a C37 firmware update to my LCM?

Dual
01-22-2017, 04:48 PM
I have been learning the coding on E46 features lately and have been reading your posts from last year all over the web. I spend a lot of time on the other E46 site but you were the only one that had actually done the features I wanted (folding mirrors on lock/unlock, brake force display and other various C36 LCM features.

I've been wondering about this myself. Per the sales brochure there's supposed to be brake force display in my car, but when I'm in a position to check it (carwash; viewing the rear lamps reflected in the closed outer door), no matter how hard I hit the brake pedal with the engine running, the display is the same. Can someone clarify?

az3579
01-22-2017, 06:13 PM
I've been wondering about this myself. Per the sales brochure there's supposed to be brake force display in my car, but when I'm in a position to check it (carwash; viewing the rear lamps reflected in the closed outer door), no matter how hard I hit the brake pedal with the engine running, the display is the same. Can someone clarify?

It's really hard to see on the 2-door variants because all it is on your car is an extra row of LEDs on the extreme outer edges of your light cluster. It's a less noticeable change than on the sedans, which have the entire bottom row of lights light up when it hits BFD.

Dual
01-22-2017, 10:17 PM
Aha! Thanks

Overboost
01-23-2017, 05:08 AM
It's really hard to see on the 2-door variants because all it is on your car is an extra row of LEDs on the extreme outer edges of your light cluster. It's a less noticeable change than on the sedans, which have the entire bottom row of lights light up when it hits BFD.

I played with all my settings and decided there are definitely many different activation thresholds. Stage 2, stage 3, abs activity, deceleration sensor and/or which lights you want to display. I found settings for street were too early for track and track settings were to late for street. I settled on stage 2 with deceleration sensor with only the center brake light flashing. I had all lights in this video but thought it is just too much.
Excuse my cameraman (wife) for the vertical recording... :foottap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahBtNrs1Kdc

az3579
01-23-2017, 05:23 AM
Normally I do flashing brake lights on that first trigger onwards (heavy deceleration as well as ABS activation) for street use. I disable the flashing for track use as it gets very annoying to other drivers, then re-enable when done with the event.

Overboost
01-23-2017, 08:58 AM
Normally I do flashing brake lights on that first trigger onwards (heavy deceleration as well as ABS activation) for street use. I disable the flashing for track use as it gets very annoying to other drivers, then re-enable when done with the event.

I found the exact results you did. Our is setup the same. I just don't track mine often so I just leave the street settings in.