PDA

View Full Version : O2 faults on 2004 BMW ZHP

johnnye23
03-30-2011, 04:06 AM
Okay so my wife got a check engine light on her 2004 Zhp. When I scanned it the fault was the O2 sensor bank 2 pre cat. I did some internet surfing ( I am new to obd2 ) and found many instances where the fault was in error and changing the O2 sensor did not cure the fault. It was mentioned that the fix was to do a ECU software update that in Effect loosens up the tolerances of the O2 input.
I am heading down to my buddies shop this Saturday and doing the ECU update . Does anyone here have any firsthand input or related experiences?
I will report back my findings and observations. :scratchinghead

danewilson77
03-30-2011, 05:04 AM
What was the code?

I had P2237 and P2240...so I bought the Bosch O2 sensors off of Amazon. Then I got the Shark and all codes are clear.

johnnye23
04-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Update, software was not up to date. Downloaded the latest software for the engine and installed it however now the transmission software needs to be updated so it can communicate with the new engine update. Man I'm lucky my buddy can do this for me !

danewilson77
04-01-2011, 02:57 AM
So....you're saying the O2 codes are clear now?

If so......when I had my dme updated, my O2 codes cleared as well.

Weird. Makes you wonder how many guys buy the sensors, and maybe update would have cleared their issue?

Droid! Srs Legitness!

johnnye23
04-01-2011, 03:37 AM
Dane time will tell if this is correct . From what I have been able to gather the latest software update widens the O2 range before it will register a fault. My wife is taking the car back by tonight for the transmission software update . My buddy was a master tech at BMW so I need to get with him and get a good debrief on what his thoughts are about the updates and what to expect/look for. I am really new to E46 models so I am really leaning on him for some guidance as I learn about the Zhp .

MrMaico
04-07-2011, 03:34 AM
So....you're saying the O2 codes are clear now?

If so......when I had my dme updated, my O2 codes cleared as well.

Weird. Makes you wonder how many guys buy the sensors, and maybe update would have cleared their issue?

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Here's some info about that, although he's talking about different fault codes......

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=445105&highlight=

bcleaver
08-15-2011, 11:05 AM
So got a SES light and pulled the codes and found p2237 p2240 which are '02 sensor positive Current Control Circuit Open Bank 2'.

Other than the light the car seemingly has no problems running. I cleared the code with the scanner and it hasn't returned yet (although only driven about 5 miles).

So my questions:

Is there any danger in running without replacing the sensors?
Is there a possible software update that widens the tolerances for throwing that error? (meaning it's not really an issue)

Looks like the new ones are about $160 each, so if it's not really an issue I'd just as soon replace them later rather than sooner. My car does have over 120k on it and I'm sure they've never been replaced, so maybe it's just time to bite the bullet, but wanted to see what kind of a 'risk' it is first if I don't.

rikdee
08-15-2011, 12:07 PM
So got a SES light and pulled the codes and found p2237 p2240 which are '02 sensor positive Current Control Circuit Open Bank 2'.

Other than the light the car seemingly has no problems running. I cleared the code with the scanner and it hasn't returned yet (although only driven about 5 miles).

So my questions:

Is there any danger in running without replacing the sensors?

not likely, maybe gas mileage if the codes are "real".

Is there a possible software update that widens the tolerances for throwing that error? (meaning it's not really an issue)

possibly, search for applicable TIB; there is one written affirming an update for DME - MS45.1 for codes FC - 2960,2961,2973,2974
My 2003 325i keeps sending 2973. I'm now convinced it needs the update as sensors were recently replaced and car, as you note, runs fine.