PDA

View Full Version : Eonon D5150Z 7"

Cadeez
01-18-2017, 10:08 AM
Looking to upgrade to NAV, does anyone have this by chance? I'd love to get some feedback. This thing looks like it has all of the functions you'd find in a brand new BMW; 7" NAV touchscreen, bluetooth, DVD, MP3, USB, etc... Seems like a smoking deal, and the DIY looks as basic as it can be.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-D5150Z-7-For-BMW-E46-Car-DVD-GPS-Stereo-Player-Radio-Touch-Bluetooth-CD-SD-I/162285532758?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D40778%26meid%3D7a8df1bbaa29408985b703ebaec6 0a4d%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D1623 60815260

BMWCurves
01-18-2017, 11:45 AM
A few people have/had Eonon units here, not sure if they've used that specific unit. I recall BP not being the largest fan (hence why he's waiting on the Avin Avant 3 to come out). Good luck!

Cadeez
01-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Hey William! Busy time in your neck of the woods this week :) I literally know nothing about NAV units, but I figure at that price?? It's surely better than the stock Business CD

ZHPizza
01-18-2017, 01:21 PM
Lots of discussion on e46f about this model and the successor

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1003890

UdubBadger
01-18-2017, 01:29 PM
I loved my D5150, best value and interface out there for these cars IMO

Cadeez
01-18-2017, 01:42 PM
I loved my D5150, best value and interface out there for these cars IMO

Good to know, thanks! You say love-d, what do you have now? Why the change?

Cadeez
01-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Lots of discussion on e46f about this model and the successor

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1003890

Holy crap...36 pages of knowledge! Thanks for the link! When I have an extra couple hours this weekend I'll read it more in depth. When you say successor, do you mean the 5151 model? I'm at work so I'm not able to read too deeply, is the new model different/better?

Johnmadd
01-18-2017, 02:22 PM
I am also interested in this unit, really can't beat that price... I may jump on this after a few adult beverages lol.

Sreten
01-18-2017, 02:53 PM
I'm planning to get one of these as well.

Edit:

I just did actually.

But the newer version.

https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GPS/Vehicle-Specific-GPS/GA6150.html

Comes with rear view camera too.

az3579
01-18-2017, 03:18 PM
The Eonon units are incredibly lacking IMO. Low res screens and a laughable amount of RAM really restricts their abilities, IMO.

You get what you pay for.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cadeez
01-18-2017, 03:34 PM
I am also interested in this unit, really can't beat that price... I may jump on this after a few adult beverages lol.

Haha never drink & click!

I'm planning to get one of these as well.

Edit:

I just did actually.

But the newer version.

Comes with rear view camera too.

Oh nice, thanks for the info! And congrats on the purchase! Let me know how the install and aftermath goes if you would. Does it come with orange lighting around the buttons to match our cars interior lighting?

The Eonon units are incredibly lacking IMO. Low res screens and a laughable amount of RAM really restricts their abilities, IMO.

You get what you pay for.

Perhaps, but I'm not an electronics snob and I know very little about this type of stuff, what would I need RAM in a NAV unit for? And low res? I won't be watching movies, just maps and radio stations, the display looks pretty good from the pics I've seen. I'm willing to bet this unit is a hell of a lot better than my Business CD. And if I'm honest, it would just look really nice in my car. But I'm definitely interested in your opinion, which unit is better? And what's the cost of the other units?

Johnmadd
01-18-2017, 04:07 PM

Oh nice, thanks for the info! And congrats on the purchase! Let me know how the install and aftermath goes if you would. Does it come with orange lighting around the buttons to match our cars interior lighting?

Perhaps, but I'm not an electronics snob and I know very little about this type of stuff, what would I need RAM in a NAV unit for? And low res? I won't be watching movies, just maps and radio stations, the display looks pretty good from the pics I've seen. I'm willing to bet this unit is a hell of a lot better than my Business CD. And if I'm honest, it would look really nice in my car. But I'm definitely interested in your opinion, which unit is better? And what's the cost of the other units?

I'm in the exact position as you and totally thinking the same exact things.

Sreten
01-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Well, GA6150F is a newer unit with Android and HD screen apparently.

Doesn't look that bad to me. Sucks it's slow to boot up but it is an android system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowZyTum9oc

Pilot05
01-18-2017, 04:13 PM
.... I know very little about this type of stuff.....

I own a couple of these units, a D5150 in my ZHP and a D5124F in my E39. You'll know a lot more about radios after you install it. The only way to own/learn an Eonon is to install and configure it yourself. Do not hire an audio installer.

Installation is pretty easy and they look pretty good. As for function, they are also a big step up from stock. Both my units are Windows CE based nit android. Maybe you wait until Sreten installs his to see how it goes. Radio quality/reception is often not as good as stock.

Buy it direct from Eonon ( their site or their eBay site ) or they might not offer after-purchase service. As it is, service after the sale is a pretty weak, and if you have to return for a refund, you will take a big haircut. I don't believe they have any service people in the states, so support emails take at least a day. 3 years ago Eonon was a newer younger company and their units often had a few bugs. I think they're better now.

Fun is resetting the unit and have it totally go to Chinese. I had to learn the Chinese symbol for " languages" in order to restore it to English!

Good luck

UdubBadger
01-18-2017, 05:29 PM
Good to know, thanks! You say love-d, what do you have now? Why the change?

It was originally in my ZHP, then transferred into my E46 M3. When I eventually sold that I had an E90 M3 so it stayed with the outgoing M3.

EDIT: Actually no, that's not right. I got the Dynavin first in the ZHP then decided to switch over and I couldn't have been happier. THEN I swapped it into the E46 M3 when I sold the ZHP, and so on...

az3579
01-18-2017, 05:47 PM

Perhaps, but I'm not an electronics snob and I know very little about this type of stuff, what would I need RAM in a NAV unit for? And low res? I won't be watching movies, just maps and radio stations, the display looks pretty good from the pics I've seen. I'm willing to bet this unit is a hell of a lot better than my Business CD. And if I'm honest, it would look really nice in my car. But I'm definitely interested in your opinion, which unit is better? And what's the cost of the other units?
You need RAM to be able to run apps. The more apps you have loaded into memory, the more RAM it uses. Since a decent chunk of the RAM is used by the system, it doesn't leave much room to run more than a couple of apps at a time. The low amount of RAM in my Eonon unit prevents me from running Bluetooth music and GPS at the same time. The music stutters in this very simple scenario. No, it's not my phone.

The low res will be an issue when you try to run apps that aren't designed to be run at such low resolution. Pandora had some odd button placements, and using Google Maps proved to be difficult due to the extremely limited scrolling space due to the low resolution screen.

Johnmadd
01-18-2017, 06:10 PM
Thanks BP.

Cadeez
01-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Well, GA6150F is a newer unit with Android and HD screen apparently.

Doesn't look that bad to me. Sucks it's slow to boot up but it is an android system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowZyTum9oc

Awesomely detailed vid, but you're right about the boot up time. Any way to speed it up? Is that you, or did you pull that off youtube? It's gonna take me a year to learn how to use this thing haha

I own a couple of these units, a D5150 in my ZHP and a D5124F in my E39. You'll know a lot more about radios after you install it. The only way to own/learn an Eonon is to install and configure it yourself. Do not hire an audio installer.

Installation is pretty easy and they look pretty good. As for function, they are also a big step up from stock. Both my units are Windows CE based nit android. Maybe you wait until Sreten installs his to see how it goes. Radio quality/reception is often not as good as stock.

Buy it direct from Eonon ( their site or their eBay site ) or they might not offer after-purchase service. As it is, service after the sale is a pretty weak, and if you have to return for a refund, you will take a big haircut. I don't believe they have any service people in the states, so support emails take at least a day. 3 years ago Eonon was a newer younger company and their units often had a few bugs. I think they're better now.

Fun is resetting the unit and have it totally go to Chinese. I had to learn the Chinese symbol for " languages" in order to restore it to English!

Good luck

I plan to do the install myself, hopefully it's within my skill level. Thanks for the info! Is the below link to their ebay site? Also, you mention that yours were Windows based, not Android? Do these come with alternate software you can download? I feel like such a noob...

It was originally in my ZHP, then transferred into my E46 M3. When I eventually sold that I had an E90 M3 so it stayed with the outgoing M3.

EDIT: Actually no, that's not right. I got the Dynavin first in the ZHP then decided to switch over and I couldn't have been happier. THEN I swapped it into the E46 M3 when I sold the ZHP, and so on...

Ahh copy that, glad to hear you liked it though.

You need RAM to be able to run apps. The more apps you have loaded into memory, the more RAM it uses. Since a decent chunk of the RAM is used by the system, it doesn't leave much room to run more than a couple of apps at a time. The low amount of RAM in my Eonon unit prevents me from running Bluetooth music and GPS at the same time. The music stutters in this very simple scenario. No, it's not my phone.

The low res will be an issue when you try to run apps that aren't designed to be run at such low resolution. Pandora had some odd button placements, and using Google Maps proved to be difficult due to the extremely limited scrolling space due to the low resolution screen.

Great info, much appreciated. I don't plan to load any apps on it (I wouldn't even know how), and maybe the updated GA6150 version will have addressed some of those issues? To be completely honest, the reasons why I'm interested in getting one is for Bluetooth streaming capability, GPS and because it looks much cooler than the stock Biz CD. I'll probably never use most of the functions

az3579
01-19-2017, 12:17 PM
To be completely honest, the reasons why I'm interested in getting one is for Bluetooth streaming capability, GPS and because it looks much cooler than the stock Biz CD. I'll probably never use most of the functions

That's all I bought mine for, and can't even do both of those things at the same time. It's sad.

Cadeez
01-19-2017, 12:25 PM
That's all I bought mine for, and can't even do both of those things at the same time. It's sad.

Well that's just very odd it would be designed like that... Thing is, I need a new radio regardless, so the alternatives are to buy another Business CD for $100+, go aftermarket (nope), or pay $270 for this thing. All in all, I think it's still a pretty good deal.

BMWCurves
01-19-2017, 01:24 PM
Hey William! Busy time in your neck of the woods this week :) I literally know nothing about NAV units, but I figure at that price?? It's surely better than the stock Business CD

Hey Jeff,

Yes, yes it is busy. Inauguration tomorrow so it'll certainly be...something to behold.

I don't know a whole lot about aftermarket E46 nav units either. I've been idly looking at options because it would be nice to have Bluetooth and navigation built in. I'm waiting to see what people think of the Avin Avant 3, if it ever comes out (it was supposed to be last summer, then last fall, then last winter, and now there's word it will be April of this year). I hope they've been improving aspects as they've been delaying, but I think that's being wishful at best. Downside is the asking price ($900).

For now, the cell phone mount and an aux cable work perfectly well for me. And it's not like I'm even driving my car right now. It's at home. In a barn. Under a tarp :(

san
01-19-2017, 01:28 PM
It's at home. In a barn. Under a tarp :(

Safe. Not exposed to snow and salt :ducking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
01-19-2017, 02:12 PM

Silver lining for sure.

Cadeez
01-19-2017, 03:36 PM
Hey Jeff,

Yes, yes it is busy. Inauguration tomorrow so it'll certainly be...something to behold.

I don't know a whole lot about aftermarket E46 nav units either. I've been idly looking at options because it would be nice to have Bluetooth and navigation built in. I'm waiting to see what people think of the Avin Avant 3, if it ever comes out (it was supposed to be last summer, then last fall, then last winter, and now there's word it will be April of this year). I hope they've been improving aspects as they've been delaying, but I think that's being wishful at best. Downside is the asking price ($900).

Holy crap! See, $900 just isn't worth it to me, I don't care if it can make me a sandwich! (on second thought, I do love a good sandwich) I've gotten a ton of good feedback from this string alone, plus I've been doing my homework elsewhere. For me, the updated GA6150 unit seems like the right fit, it's perfect for my very basic needs. And for $270?? I'm in. I'm slightly nervous about the install, but I've got a good buddy who used to work at Car Toys doing installs, so I'm going to suggest he come over and "supervise" the install.

For now, the cell phone mount and an aux cable work perfectly well for me. And it's not like I'm even driving my car right now. It's at home. In a barn. Under a tarp :(

Saddest thing I've ever heard...

They don't use salt out here on the west coast, luckily, but man did we get some snow over the last few weeks!

san
01-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Holy crap! See, $900 just isn't worth it to me, I don't care if it can make me a sandwich! (on second thought, I do love a good sandwich) I've gotten a ton of good feedback from this string alone, plus I've been doing my homework elsewhere. For me, the updated GA6150 unit seems like the right fit, it's perfect for my very basic needs. And for $270?? I'm in. I'm slightly nervous about the install, but I've got a good buddy who used to work at Car Toys doing installs, so I'm going to suggest he come over and "supervise" the install.

Saddest thing I've ever heard...

They don't use salt out here on the west coast, luckily, but man did we get some snow over the last few weeks!

I thought I remember William saying they started using salt in Portland?

Cadeez
01-19-2017, 04:01 PM
I thought I remember William saying they started using salt in Portland?

For the first time (to my knowledge) they did do a test run on 1-2 main roads this year. They did one lane with the standard liquid deicer (magnesium chloride) and the other lane with salt. The results were inconclusive. But that is the extent of it. It's mostly "sanding", which is really tiny bits of gravel or cinders, basically tiny pebbles. Which, is not great now that the snow has melted, because it's everywhere, and it sounds nasty as your tires kick it up. And if someone in front of you changes lanes...you're gonna wear it all over your bonnet.

BMWCurves
01-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Yup, Jeff hit it on the head. Salted I think three roads actually, one near the top of Sylvan, west Burnside, and somewhere else.

And let us know what you think of the Eonon unit if you do take the plunge. I'd be interested to hear!

Cadeez
01-19-2017, 05:33 PM
Yup, Jeff hit it on the head. Salted I think three roads actually, one near the top of Sylvan, west Burnside, and somewhere else.

And let us know what you think of the Eonon unit if you do take the plunge. I'd be interested to hear!

I think it may have been Terwilliger, but not sure

Oh I will for sure!

Sreten
01-19-2017, 06:04 PM
Cadeez, it wasn't me on the video hah. Just a random video that I found.

Mine is arriving next Tuesday. It was shipped from KWUN TONG HK, according to the tracker.

I think GA6150 should be better. I'm an IT guy by profession but I'm not too demanding when it comes to this.
Don't feel like paying $900 for a premium unit right now.

I'll give it a good test and review once I get it installed.

Cadeez
01-19-2017, 11:34 PM
Cadeez, it wasn't me on the video hah. Just a random video that I found.

Mine is arriving next Tuesday. It was shipped from KWUN TONG HK, according to the tracker.

I think GA6150 should be better. I'm an IT guy by profession but I'm not too demanding when it comes to this.
Don't feel like paying $900 for a premium unit right now.

I'll give it a good test and review once I get it installed.

That would be awesome, I'd love to hear your thoughts as it seems we're on the same page with our needs. I'll definitely be going with the newer, upgraded GA6150 if I go this route, seems silly not to get the newest version available. Did you choose/need to buy any "extras" with it for the install? Like longer wiring harness, new dash bracket, software, etc? Or is the unit itself all we need? I've seen some different input from different folks. Looking forward to your review!

az3579
01-20-2017, 03:04 AM
You need an HVAC relocation bracket if you don't already have nav. They're about $100 new.

ZHPizza
01-20-2017, 07:36 AM
You need an HVAC relocation bracket if you don't already have nav. They're about $100 new.

Lowest price I've seen:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/radio-mounting-bracket/51167001410/

Cadeez
01-20-2017, 12:10 PM

HVAC relocation bracket, or a Radio Mounting Bracket?

"Provides mounting for DSC, seat heating buttons, ashtray and storage compartment. Commonly used in the install of an aftermarket double-DIN head unit. For vehicles with navigation package & "strip style" buttons with smoker's package"

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/radio-mounting-bracket/51167001410/

Lowest price I've seen:

:fistpump

az3579
01-20-2017, 12:30 PM
HVAC relocation bracket, or a Radio Mounting Bracket?

Same thing. Different name, same part.

KevinC
01-20-2017, 01:35 PM
I won't touch any of this Chinese crap with a 10-ft pole. I just don't trust them for overall hardware quality, plus taking off-the-shelf Android and trying to make it run a head unit isn't an ideal proposition.

It's ridiculous that there aren't more name-brand options on the market for a mechless shallow-mount double-DIN unit out there, and what there is is hideously expensive. You'd think somebody could build a quality unit for ~$500 that would fit a ton of cars, including difficult ones like ours, and sell like hotcakes. Just give me the basics - CarPlay/Android Auto, SD/USB/iPod support, Bluetooth, a decent amp/preamp, and a display with good resolution, and I'm all over it.

Johnmadd
01-20-2017, 04:25 PM
I won't touch any of this Chinese crap with a 10-ft pole. I just don't trust them for overall hardware quality, plus taking off-the-shelf Android and trying to make it run a head unit isn't an ideal proposition.

It's ridiculous that there aren't more name-brand options on the market for a mechless shallow-mount double-DIN unit out there, and what there is is hideously expensive. You'd think somebody could build a quality unit for ~$500 that would fit a ton of cars, including difficult ones like ours, and sell like hotcakes. Just give me the basics - CarPlay/Android Auto, SD/USB/iPod support, Bluetooth, a decent amp/preamp, and a display with good resolution, and I'm all over it.

Perfectly said.

Oli77
01-20-2017, 05:01 PM
I don't know, I have to not agree, if my radio dies, I'm all over that thing. It adds camera on backing up, integrates with our car, BT, Navigation, and more for $270!

Now, I have to show my age a little and admit that I still play CDs in my car. Because, emotions, meaning, stories, full albums, all the way through. I have zero needs for BT. Heck, I still have cassettes!

ZHPizza
01-20-2017, 06:45 PM

I bought an Android headunit for my 2016 Mazda off of AliExpress and it was an excellent product/experience. I'll probably do the same with this car. While it is indeed Chinese crap, the seller is obligated to give you a good product and support after the sale. You can go through AliExpress and request a partial refund without returning the product if you're not satisfied, so the sellers are very good about keeping you happy.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

az3579
01-20-2017, 07:06 PM
It adds camera on backing up, integrates with our car, BT, Navigation, and more for $270!

My backup camera stopped working the month after install. Beware - it has extremely thin and fragile wiring.

KevinC
01-20-2017, 10:38 PM
I don't know, I have to not agree, if my radio dies, I'm all over that thing. It adds camera on backing up, integrates with our car, BT, Navigation, and more for $270!

$270 for all that. Amazing. If it sounds too good to be true....

Cadeez
01-20-2017, 11:34 PM

$270 for all that. Amazing. If it sounds too good to be true....

Well Kev, if you don't like it, then don't buy one... And considering you don't have one (I can only assume), I'd save your opinions of what it might be (haterade), for a different thread my friend. I'm looking for reviews/input/info from members who currently own one, or have at one time.

Oli77
01-21-2017, 05:28 AM
Yep, good points, ill keep an eye on this thread as hopefully, more people will comment on the newer versions of the device they own.

az3579
01-21-2017, 06:21 AM
Yep, good points, ill keep an eye on this thread as hopefully, more people will comment on the newer versions of the device they own.

The new ones have some improvements for sure.

From what I can see from a performance perspective, the hardware that matters still hasn't been improved from the older GA5150 (the version I have). It still only has only 1GB of RAM. So, you have a newer OS that claims more resources, yet not enough improvement in its ability to handle it. This is an important consideration from an overall performance perspective, so the comparison is still valid old to new since the hardware is almost the same.

Don't get me wrong; the unit works fine from a basic functionality perspective, and it's not bad enough to make me want to rip it out and reinstall business CD. It's not frustrating at all, only slightly annoying every once in a while when you're trying to do something specific and it's not letting you. It still serves its purpose, and it's nice having a big screen to view maps on versus a phone.

I haven't been able to utilize the onboard 8GB of storage it claims to have, so I have to use a USB flash drive for music. I can't listen via Bluetooth streaming while using hotspot and GPS without the music stuttering. Luckily I don't do that combo that often. I hope they've fixed the bug where you can't use the onboard storage. Either that, or I'm stupid for not figuring it out, but I doubt the latter.

BTW - the boot up time was a concern at first, but you get used to it. Now I don't think anything of it.

EDIT:

Okay, so I did some research on the screen resolution because something struck me when I mentioned 1024x600. The GA5150 I have has a 800x480 screen, and THAT is the size I'm griping about. The 1024x600 actually is an improvement in the newer unit, so you should not have the resolution issues I had. So, that's a good thing for the new unit!

Honestly, for the price... even if you expect issues, you still get something better than the business CD.

Oli77
01-21-2017, 08:19 AM
Good info BP, thanks.

Johnmadd
01-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Just purchased the ga6150 and the maps for it and got a free dash cam.

BMWCurves
01-21-2017, 04:40 PM
Just purchased the ga6150 ad the maps for it and got a free dash cam.

Definitely do a first impressions review when you have it installed, plus a long term, if you'd be so kind.

Johnmadd
01-21-2017, 05:39 PM
Definitely do a first impressions review when you have it installed, plus a long term, if you'd be so kind.

If it's not an extensive review, just pm me for the specifics.

Cadeez
01-22-2017, 01:45 PM

:roundel +1

Cadeez
01-22-2017, 01:49 PM
The new ones have some improvements for sure.

From what I can see from a performance perspective, the hardware that matters still hasn't been improved from the older GA5150 (the version I have). It still only has only 1GB of RAM. So, you have a newer OS that claims more resources, yet not enough improvement in its ability to handle it. This is an important consideration from an overall performance perspective, so the comparison is still valid old to new since the hardware is almost the same.

Don't get me wrong; the unit works fine from a basic functionality perspective, and it's not bad enough to make me want to rip it out and reinstall business CD. It's not frustrating at all, only slightly annoying every once in a while when you're trying to do something specific and it's not letting you. It still serves its purpose, and it's nice having a big screen to view maps on versus a phone.

I haven't been able to utilize the onboard 8GB of storage it claims to have, so I have to use a USB flash drive for music. I can't listen via Bluetooth streaming while using hotspot and GPS without the music stuttering. Luckily I don't do that combo that often. I hope they've fixed the bug where you can't use the onboard storage. Either that, or I'm stupid for not figuring it out, but I doubt the latter.

BTW - the boot up time was a concern at first, but you get used to it. Now I don't think anything of it.

EDIT:

Okay, so I did some research on the screen resolution because something struck me when I mentioned 1024x600. The GA5150 I have has a 800x480 screen, and THAT is the size I'm griping about. The 1024x600 actually is an improvement in the newer unit, so you should not have the resolution issues I had. So, that's a good thing for the new unit!

Honestly, for the price... even if you expect issues, you still get something better than the business CD.

Excellent info BP!

Johnmadd
01-22-2017, 01:51 PM
Will do guys, although I'm in no rush to buy the hvac relocation bracket.

Sreten
01-24-2017, 07:50 PM
I got my unit today and had it installed this afternoon.

It's not that difficult, just a lot of cables...

My first impression is that I really like it.

Screen is nice and clear. Touch is very responsive and it doesn't lag or anything, operates very smooth.
Radio reception is great. First thing that I tried and something that I will use the most, is the music via Bluetooth from my phone and sound output is just perfect. There's a built in equalizer so you can adjust it however you want. Navigation also works through Google maps.
Android is easy to work with. Hotspot for WiFi and you can download whatever you want from play store.

https://s27.postimg.org/twb8j9r7j/20170124_183119.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/twb8j9r7j/) https://s27.postimg.org/54bmc1a0v/20170124_183258.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/54bmc1a0v/) https://s27.postimg.org/db3m3m03j/20170124_183343.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/db3m3m03j/)

I led the cable for GPS under the glove box through A pillar and roof and had it mounted on the windshield next to the rear view mirror.
Mic I installed in the factory spot on the roof. It worked great at first when I tested it but now it doesn't. Have to check the connection in the back.

Most annoying thing is that stupid steering wheel controls don't work and I have no idea why. Well, 2 useless buttons work, one for changing the mode you are in (Radio, phone..) and one for changing the songs backwards.
I connected the little Canbus decoder box that I got and controls should work in theory.

Guess I will try their support tomorrow if they even have it...

I also got the rear view camera that I will install some day.

BMWCurves
01-24-2017, 10:20 PM
Nice, glad to hear you're liking it so far. In for the long term review.

WOLFN8TR
01-25-2017, 04:49 AM
Nice, glad to hear you're liking it so far. In for the long term review.

Long term use will be the deciding factor. [emoji6]

Cadeez
01-25-2017, 12:11 PM
It looks great in there, glad it's so far so good! Looks like you were able to match the orange display buttons color as well, which is great. Bummer about the steering wheel controls, that is a big requirement for me, let me know if/when that gets worked out. Did you do the install yourself, if so how long did it take? Or if you had a shop do it, how much was the charge?

Sreten
01-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Tried their support number today numerous times, sent an email, tried live chat and no answer.

I'm happy with the unit in every way but not having steering controls just won't work for me. That is a must.

Tried reconnecting everything few times but no luck.

Like most of the things, I did it myself. :)
Took me couple of hours. Just a lot of cables to sort through and lot of stuff needs to come out.

This video helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWd-ydZLetY

Edit:

Since they are in Hong Kong obviously there is a time difference. I just got ahold of them and if I understood her correctly, they will send me instructions on my email.

Cadeez
01-26-2017, 03:11 PM
Edit:

Since they are in Hong Kong obviously there is a time difference. I just got ahold of them and if I understood her correctly, they will send me instructions on my email.

Keep fighting the good fight! Glad to hear you finally got in contact, hope the instructions are able to help narrow down the issue. Keep us posted!

I'm a true DIY'er in every mechanical sense, but I'm thinking that when I eventually get my unit, the couple hundred bucks spent at Car Toys might be worth my while. Electronics and me don't mix

Sreten
01-27-2017, 08:53 PM
They are very slow the respond which I can understand given the time difference. They are closed now from 27th to 31st.

They just sent me a picture on how to connect the canbus, which looked nothing like mine setup.

Next they suggested to unplug everything in the back and try again which I already tried few times and it didn't help.

That's the last I heard from them.

I like the unit and it does what it's supposed to. Only problem are the steering wheel controls.

I think you can do it. It's not that difficult. Just watch few DIY videos on how to install it.

Cadeez
01-28-2017, 12:21 AM
Yeah it's Chinese New Year, tonight is actually their NYE, crappy timing for sure. I'm sure I could do it, it would just take me a while, my fear is getting it all installed and something doesn't work. Troubleshooting is my worst nightmare. But I do have a buddy who used to work at Car Toys (years ago), so I'm sure he'd help me for some beers and pizza. Best of luck with the diagnosis!

Sreten
02-01-2017, 07:58 PM
I'm not a stupid man. I do IT for living and troubleshooting is part of my every day work, but this thing wants to end up at the bottom of the ocean.

They finally responded and said that I need to update my unit. Sent some files and instructions. Well, I did do that and it just made things worse.

None of the buttons work now and screen resolution got messed up and there is no option to resize it.

So it looks like this:

https://s23.postimg.org/zbmr9lf8n/20170201_181212.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/zbmr9lf8n/) https://s23.postimg.org/ue96ohd9j/20170201_181221.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ue96ohd9j/)

Oh, and radio doesn't work anymore. So it is utterly useless now.

Now they are probably going to respond after 3 days once they check with their "tech" in cryptic English and tell me that I need to unplug everything and reboot which I already did.

I'm giving it few more days and then I give up.

BMWCurves
02-01-2017, 09:48 PM
Damn, that sucks. This is my nightmare with aftermarket units. Hopefully it will work out!

Pilot05
02-02-2017, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=Sreten;517494]I'm not a stupid man. I do IT for living and troubleshooting is part of my every day work, but this thing wants to end up at the bottom of the ocean.

They finally responded and said that I need to update my unit. Sent some files and instructions. Well, I did do that and it just made things worse.

None of the buttons work now and screen resolution got messed up and there is no option to resize it.

So it looks like this:

https://s23.postimg.org/zbmr9lf8n/20170201_181212.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/zbmr9lf8n/) https://s23.postimg.org/ue96ohd9j/20170201_181221.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ue96ohd9j/)

Now they are probably going to respond after 3 days once they check with their "tech" in cryptic English and tell me that I need to unplug everything and reboot which I already did

Did you try a hard reset? ( I assume you did) I ad a similar issue after an "update" file was sent toe. I had to learn the word/symbol for "languages" in Cantonese to try to get it back to English. I lost CD/DVD functionality with my update.

I almost found a Cantonese-speaking friend to ty and get an Eonon tech on the phone.

Cadeez
02-02-2017, 11:53 AM
Damn... That is not the review I was hoping for! Sorry to hear it man, I'd be furious. Hoping for your sake that it can be fixed, or they at least allow a return, keep us posted please

Cadeez
02-10-2017, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=Sreten;517494]I'm not a stupid man. I do IT for living and troubleshooting is part of my every day work, but this thing wants to end up at the bottom of the ocean.

So it looks like this:

Now they are probably going to respond after 3 days once they check with their "tech" in cryptic English and tell me that I need to unplug everything and reboot which I already did

Did you try a hard reset? ( I assume you did) I ad a similar issue after an "update" file was sent toe. I had to learn the word/symbol for "languages" in Cantonese to try to get it back to English. I lost CD/DVD functionality with my update.

I almost found a Cantonese-speaking friend to ty and get an Eonon tech on the phone.

Any updates since your last post? Steering wheel controls working yet?

Sreten
02-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Nope. They sent me another update after and it just reversed things and it was same as before, no steering controls.

After much explanation with their support I sent the unit back for full refund. At first I wanted that they send me a new unit with new cables and can bus and try it again, but since I'm moving and selling the car that's not happening.

I was talking to few local stereo guys and they don't want to touch these units. They say it's hit or miss as sometimes everything works and sometimes doesn't, like steering controls. They recommend aftermarket units like Kenwood or Pioneer but I personally don't like those. You don't keep the OE look and you have to cut a lot of stuff to be able to fit them.

Cadeez
02-11-2017, 12:57 AM
Man, that sucks, sorry to hear it. Perhaps I'll take a look at the competition as well. Thanks for the info, much appreciated

MrAdventure
02-18-2017, 12:50 PM
I just did actually.

I got the GA6150 in January. Not bad, but as has been said, you get what you pay for.