PDA

View Full Version : E46 m3 coilovers on ZHP?

nextelbuddy
01-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Found a set of used coilovers in good condition for $700, would they fix on the ZHP with out modification? would I still retain the auto leveling headlights? (i assume yes since those are on the control arms right?)

slater
01-18-2017, 12:49 PM
the rears will fit fine.

do the fronts use the stock M3 top mounts? if so, the fronts will not fit - and you can't use stock non-M top mounts with them because of the difference in spring winding and strut shaft length. the M3 front suspension has a completely different geometry (wider control arms, more caster from different top mounts, etc). if they came with camber and caster-adjustable top mounts, you might be able to dial the camber back to sane values.

Johnmadd
01-18-2017, 02:17 PM
I have m3 bc coilovers but Peter said, I have camber plates.

ventura_328Ci
01-18-2017, 05:43 PM
So if I get camber plates, I could install the PSS9 coilovers from my M3 onto my ZHP without any other complications?

ventura_328Ci
01-24-2017, 04:00 PM
So if I get camber plates, I could install the PSS9 coilovers from my M3 onto my ZHP without any other complications?

Anyone??

UdubBadger
01-30-2017, 09:24 PM
In theory yes. Not sure if anyone has been brave enough to try themselves though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryankokesh
01-31-2017, 09:35 AM
In theory yes. Not sure if anyone has been brave enough to try themselves though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think they'd fit on a civic? You know, so you could feel the vtec better?

UdubBadger
01-31-2017, 09:45 AM
I get my parts overnighted to Harry's from Japan bro.

sillieidiot
01-31-2017, 12:53 PM

You can install the suspension on your car without the camber plates. The M3 strut mount fits, it just adds height to the fronts which you could adjust for on the PSS9. But if you get camber plates then it'll work better plus allow you to adjust it more for alignment. The front springs on the PSS9 isn't as fat as the factory M3 suspension so it I don't think it will hit the wheel at all. It's about the same size as our factory suspension. But that's nothing a spacer can't fix.

I was able to install the factory M3 suspension on a 323ci before. Everything fit, but the front was high as fuck lol didn't need any spacers on his m68s though.

UdubBadger
01-31-2017, 01:01 PM
Nice!

slater
01-31-2017, 01:09 PM
You can install the suspension on your car without the camber plates. The M3 strut mount fits, it just adds height to the fronts which you could adjust for on the PSS9. But if you get camber plates then it'll work better plus allow you to adjust it more for alignment. The front springs on the PSS9 isn't as fat as the factory M3 suspension so it I don't think it will hit the wheel at all. It's about the same size as our factory suspension. But that's nothing a spacer can't fix.

I was able to install the factory M3 suspension on a 323ci before. Everything fit, but the front was high as fuck lol didn't need any spacers on his m68s though.

the top mount also is entirely different in regards to alignment - you'll get a ton more positive camber - doubtful that you could dial it out with the slots in the strut tower. you'll get more positive caster though, which is good. the M3 has a wider lower control arm, which alleviate the positive camber issue achieved on the non-M with the M top mounts. so, use M3 lower control arms and spindles if you're going to use factory M3 springs/struts/top mounts.

this is an overhead view of the front left:

sillieidiot
01-31-2017, 01:50 PM
the top mount also is entirely different in regards to alignment - you'll get a ton more positive camber - doubtful that you could dial it out with the slots in the strut tower. you'll get more positive caster though, which is good. the M3 has a wider lower control arm, which alleviate the positive camber issue achieved on the non-M with the M top mounts. so, use M3 lower control arms and spindles if you're going to use factory M3 springs/struts/top mounts.

this is an overhead view of the front left:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28891[/ATTACH

Honestly, I view that positive camber as a good thing when you're running the M3 suspension (referring to the coils, not factory). With camber plates on the M3 struts, you don't have enough positive camber adjustment to even fix your alignment (natural negative camber from lowering) because the shaft of the strut is larger, it hits the strut mount opening before you get to use the full range of the camber plate. Of course that is really dependent on your suspension setup and how low your height is.

But yeah, you can grab some camber plates if you're worried and it would work better. Plus I would replace the top mounts anyways, the bushings are probably old if they were reused from the stock suspension.

Johnmadd
01-31-2017, 01:51 PM
Interesting, I haven't adjusted the camber adjustments and my alignment seems good since they aligned it.

sillieidiot
01-31-2017, 02:04 PM
Interesting, I haven't adjusted the camber adjustments and my alignment seems good since they aligned it.

They should adjust your camber when they are aligning your car, if it's adjustable. Normally our cars don't have adjustable camber in the front, since we have alignment pins on our top mounts, so they only do the toe adjustment. You could check your stock mounts to see though. If the alignment pin is knocked out, then they definitely adjusted your camber.

Johnmadd
01-31-2017, 02:50 PM
They should adjust your camber when they are aligning your car, if it's adjustable. Normally our cars don't have adjustable camber in the front, since we have alignment pins on our top mounts, so they only do the toe adjustment. You could check your stock mounts to see though. If the alignment pin is knocked out, then they definitely adjusted your camber.

Pin was knocked out before I got this car. Camber was done to spec all without the hood popped. :scratchinghead

sillieidiot
01-31-2017, 04:06 PM
Pin was knocked out before I got this car. Camber was done to spec all without the hood popped. :scratchinghead

Yeah that's possible. There's a range that it could be in to be in the green. Something like .5 degrees in each direction. So they wouldn't adjust it unless it's off farther than that.