PDA

View Full Version : BMW iPod interface kit - Anyone use one?

melonz
01-23-2017, 11:47 PM
I currently have a BMW iPod inteface kit which has a 30-pin connector. I haven't used it since owning my car but thinking about picking up an iPod for it.

I was wondering if anyone has this in their E46 and if you're using a new iPod such as the latest (and discontinued) iPod classic. There is an installation document from 2005 on the internet but of course it only states it works with iPods from that year.

Also went in today hoping to remove it and replace with the BMW AUX kit but looks like pins have been re-arranged based off the instructions I found so decided against that since I don't have the BMW tool.

az3579
01-24-2017, 04:33 AM
The BMW iPod interface, in a word, sucks.
It was already installed in my car when I bought it from the PO. The ONLY way to listen to music through the interface is by creating playlists and putting songs into the playlist. You can't search by artist or album through the radio, and if I remember correctly, browsing through the iPod itself is disabled when it's plugged in. I wouldn't waste my time with it, honestly.

I ended up replacing it with a Dension Gateway 300 iPod integration kit. This is best iPod solution I've used, and at the time of searching, I couldn't find any other unit that let me browse by album. That may have changed now, but that was a big deal for me back then.
If you have an older iPod with the 30-pin, this is a very worthy purchase.

Dual
01-24-2017, 10:02 AM
This would presumably supplant any aux in? I like getting my phone's spoken text into the system that way (Siri, navigation prompts, IM's).

melonz
01-24-2017, 04:09 PM
That's disappointing to hear.

I asked on E46 fanatics and it was stated that you can only have one or the other (iPod or AUX) but now that I think about it I should've checked for myself. Guess I'll take the radio apart later again.

KevinC
01-24-2017, 07:26 PM
I have the USA*Spec iPod interface in my ZHP, and while it's not a perfect solution (none of them are), it works well enough and I've been happy with it for about 3 years now.

The tech in my Golf is like Star Trek stuff compared to the ZHP. It's shame that mobile infotainment wasn't more advanced by the time our ZHPs were hitting the streets.

melonz
01-25-2017, 11:42 PM
I have the USA*Spec iPod interface in my ZHP, and while it's not a perfect solution (none of them are), it works well enough and I've been happy with it for about 3 years now.

The tech in my Golf is like Star Trek stuff compared to the ZHP. It's shame that mobile infotainment wasn't more advanced by the time our ZHPs were hitting the streets.

I'll definitely look into it if my 2nd attempt at the AUX doesn't work.

My friend recently got a '17 GTI Clubsport and it really made me think the same once I sat in it lol. Although the I definitely prefer seeing Harmon Kardon on my tweeter speaks vs Fender like on the VW lol.

melonz
01-27-2017, 03:07 AM
OK went back in today and the BMW AUX and BMW iPod adapter can be installed at the same time.

Finished installing and enjoying music from my phone. I'll upload photos later today.

Dual
01-27-2017, 04:16 AM
That's good to know. Thanks!

Dual
01-27-2017, 05:06 AM
PS: do you have steering wheel control of the iPod play/pause, skip functions?

704sw
01-27-2017, 07:30 AM
I have an aux cable with inline controls, just like headphones have. I can pause, skip, and go back without having to take my eyes off the road or fiddle with the touchscreen. Yes it's less convenient than steering wheel controls, but a very easy and inexpensive option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melonz
01-27-2017, 01:00 PM
PS: do you have steering wheel control of the iPod play/pause, skip functions?

I've never used the ipod connector but according to the documentation I can skip using the steering wheel and use the 1-6 numbers on the radio for different playlists. Not sure how play and pause would work but I guess you can change modes to get a same effect.

ELCID86
01-28-2017, 07:13 PM
Just go with Aux jack. And maybe a BT receiver. Maybe like this.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170129/5807947cbb05a19d1c7c89f0b0afa66e.jpg

Cadeez
02-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for the kit as seen in the below link, posts 4 & 5. The ashtray is effectively an iPod dock where it will charge and play music. Anyone know where I can find one? My car currently has one, but A) it's not hooked up and B) it's the old 30 pin connector for an iPhone 4. I need the newer 8 pin connector. Also, if anyone has a line on the carbon fiber one seen in post #5, let me know, because I need it...

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804983

I think the below link is what I'm looking for, but I don't need all of the fancy call functions, siri or google connectivity, bluetooth, etc. I just want to plug my phone into a nice factory looking dock to play Pandora, that's it. There has to be something like that where the aux just plugs in the bottom, and it works. Quick & simple

https://www.bavsound.com/Device-Integration/

dpark
02-21-2017, 12:37 PM
I currently have a BMW iPod inteface kit which has a 30-pin connector. I haven't used it since owning my car but thinking about picking up an iPod for it.

I was wondering if anyone has this in their E46 and if you're using a new iPod such as the latest (and discontinued) iPod classic. There is an installation document from 2005 on the internet but of course it only states it works with iPods from that year.

Also went in today hoping to remove it and replace with the BMW AUX kit but looks like pins have been re-arranged based off the instructions I found so decided against that since I don't have the BMW tool.

I have the OEM iPod Interface in my e46 and it works fine (as spec'ed). Works great through the steering wheel controls. When I got my ZHP I had the original iPod in it. I later upgraded my iPod the the 160GB classic and the interface still worked.

Can't swap out the 30-pin connector because the other end is some funky proprietary connector (bummer). I tried putting the 30-pin to 8-pin adapter on it and plug my iPhone into it, but it didn't work (also bummer).

So I have kept my 160GB iPod in my glovebox for 10+ years.

The playlist issue is annoying but I have found a good way to work around it, and it works for my listening tastes. I listen to a wide variety of music and am always buying more so I set up smart playlists that work in the very rigid BMW format.

my BMW1 playlist are all my newly added songs for the past 6 months. Lets me enjoy current music.

BMW2 playlist are songs that have 3 stars or higher (based on iTunes rankings) that play my LEAST recently played songs. So I get to listen to stuff that I liked enough in the first play to buy them, but haven't heard in a long time.

What is nice is both of these playlists update (not "live" but when I sync the iPod to my PC) so there is always new music to listen to (new or old).

BMW 3 and 4 are jazz and holiday music (4 stars or higher) sorted by least recently played, again, so always hearing new(er) music, vs the same songs over and over.

BMW 5 is my all time favorite songs (5 stars) also sorted by least recently played.

You can't dynamically sort by artist or album, but this gives me a way to listen to the music I like and without hearing the same stuff over and over, while still being limited to 5 playlists.