PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak 04 77,000

Edo
01-28-2017, 01:32 PM
This may be a stretch to call myself new at just short of a year. I had the car in this AM for the airbag recall. Dealer brought it to my attention that we have oil on the bottom of the engine. Car has not been driven much since Nov, so I did not see the dripping. The recommended a new, updated oil pan gasket for about $1300.00. I don't recall this being a weak point. I cleaned it off for now and snugged the pan bolts that I could get to. OFH gasket does not appear to be leaking, have not checked valve cover yet. Nothing on a quick search on this subject came up

So, is the M54 known for needing oil pan gaskets?

thanks Ed

az3579
01-28-2017, 01:35 PM
They're not 'known' for needing oil pan gaskets, but it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility. You could always get a second opinion if you're not sure you need one.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Vas
01-28-2017, 01:53 PM
When I bought my car with 90k, the gasket area was wet. Ended up replacing it around 115k because it was actually leaking.

On my wife's car, Mileage is now 154k and I will be replacing the gasket this summer.

So it will eventually happen but if a car sits and does not get driven, it is worse for all the gaskets and leaks will develop.

These cars do not like to sit around.

Edo
01-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Thanks guys, I spotted a thread as soon as I posted and saw what looked like my condition. I pulled the air box and can see oil pooling on the block, above the pan. I will plan to replace the OFHG in a month or so, when I have it back in my garage. Storing for winter) It is far less expensive the pan gasket. In retrospect, should have done it while I did the cooling system last spring. But, it doesn't look to be an horrible job.

ELCID86
01-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Go for OFHG. Dealer told me that I had an oil pan leak when I had my airbag done too. I think it's really the rear main seal and it's not that bad. So I'm living with it.

Oli77
01-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Ofhg is likely the problem and is a recognized trouble spot in these cars. Not too hard of a job.

johnrando
01-28-2017, 07:23 PM
Same thing. Dealer told me oil pan gasket and my research showed it was the ofhg which can definitely be a DIY which I did w/friends.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

WOLFN8TR
01-28-2017, 07:25 PM
$6 OFHG is usually the culprit. When is somebody going to make one out of Viton!

danewilson77
01-28-2017, 08:08 PM
$6 OFHG is usually the culprit. When is somebody going to make one out of Viton!
!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

KevinC
01-28-2017, 08:55 PM
$1300 oil pan?? Did they say that with a straight face? Wow, that's criminal.

ZHPizza
01-29-2017, 06:27 AM
For real. Is the BMW part still our best option for replacement?

Edo
01-29-2017, 06:32 AM
Actually, his first number was 1200. They say the sub frame has to be dropped, which may be the case. We will do the easy one first. It is not the only car I drive, so I won't be under the gun once I get into it.

Much appreciate the comments, this place is awesome.

Vas
01-29-2017, 06:44 AM
Front subframe does have to be lowered to remove the oil pan.

It's not a terrible diy

WOLFN8TR
01-29-2017, 10:12 AM
For real. Is the BMW part still our best option for replacement?

Yep as far as I've seen.

LivesNearCostco
01-30-2017, 12:42 PM
My oil pan gasket has been leaking for a few years, since around 150,000 miles (currently at 215K miles). It's a slow leak and expensive to have a shop do it so I have been putting it off. On my E36 I paid an indie shop to replace oil pan gasket, swap oil pans to one with an after-market baffle, replace rod bearings, and upgrade the oil pump (which I bought separately from Achilles Motorsports). On my E46 I was planning to have the same work done, but since I don't track it any more am not sure if new oil pan baffle and oil pump are worth it.

ELCID86
01-30-2017, 05:50 PM
My oil pan gasket has been leaking for a few years, since around 150,000 miles (currently at 215K miles). It's a slow leak and expensive to have a shop do it so I have been putting it off. On my E36 I paid an indie shop to replace oil pan gasket, swap oil pans to one with an after-market baffle, replace rod bearings, and upgrade the oil pump (which I bought separately from Achilles Motorsports). On my E46 I was planning to have the same work done, but since I don't track it any more am not sure if new oil pan baffle and oil pump are worth it.

May be a good call to not.