PDA

View Full Version : Bummer: Conti DW has been discontinued

KevinC
02-01-2017, 08:54 AM
Ordered a pair of rear DW's the other day, got a call from Discount Tire this morning informing me that they are discontinued and they are unable to source a pair from Continental. He was doing an internal check and would let me know if he could dig up a pair. Called back shortly afterwards and he did manage to find a pair for me, but moving forward, they're history, and Conti is recommending the DWS06 (or whatever the newer AS version is called) as its replacement. But that's not the same tire, that's the all-season version.

I'm bummed because these have been great tires for me. 2 lbs lighter than Michelin PSS's in the same size, and it's noticeable. The sidewall is not as aggressive as the Michelins, and for my use, that's perfect - the ZHP is my daily "comfy" car. Still tons of grip and a great performance tire, just not quite as hard-edged as the PSS.

My ZHP goes through rears pretty quickly, but the fronts last much longer. Hopefully the fronts can hang on for another 20k miles, which is about what I'll get out of the new rears. Not sure what I'll try next. Definitely will put PSS's on my Golf R when the stock Pirelli PZero's are done.

derbo
02-01-2017, 09:00 AM
I honestly hated these tires on my mother's IS300. They were too soft, not enough grip, and noisy. They were cheap though.

PSS is a happy medium for me for a daily tire. I honestly prefer the RE71R tires but I'm an oddball track guy.

slater
02-01-2017, 09:03 AM
I honestly hated these tires on my mother's IS300. They were too soft, not enough grip, and noisy.

agreed. extremely vague-feeling.

Dave1027
02-01-2017, 09:25 AM
I think the conti DW are very alignment sensitive tires. They can be really squirrely with too much camber.

I see them as still available on Discount Tire and TireRack's websites.

san
02-01-2017, 09:50 AM
I have the dws06 all-seasons, they are good at operating well in summer and winter but by no means are they good for on the limit kinda driving... I've said his many times, 8 year old general summer tires that were on the car when I bought it were better than these when it comes to handling in warm weather...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadeez
02-01-2017, 10:12 AM
I have the dws06 all-seasons, they are good at operating well in summer and winter but by no means are they good for on the limit kinda driving... I've said his many times, 8 year old general summer tires that were on the car when I bought it were better than these when it comes to handling in warm weather...

I have to politely disagree here, I absolutely love the new Conti DWS06's! I just got a set, and couldn't be happier. Keep in mind, my car is a daily, no track, just fun country roads now and then. Plus we see a ton of rain here in the NW, and these tires are unbelievable in the wet. And for the price? Can't be beat, two huge thumbs up from me!

san
02-01-2017, 10:17 AM
I have to politely disagree here, I absolutely love the new Conti DWS06's! I just got a set, and couldn't be happier. Keep in mind, my car is a daily, no track, just fun country roads now and then. Plus we see a ton of rain here in the NW, and these tires are unbelievable in the wet. And for the price? Can't be beat, two huge thumbs up from me!

I'm not saying those are bad tires at all and in all probability Il buy another set but what I meant was don't expect these to be close to the performance you would get from a summer tire, in response to the first post...

holyc0w
02-01-2017, 11:20 AM
I thought the ContiSportContact 5 was supposed to be the replacement?

BMWCurves
02-01-2017, 11:30 AM
I like my DWs. Good comfort, definitely sticky enough for me in the summer, good wet weather performance, and I think they're pretty quiet.

san
02-01-2017, 11:31 AM
I thought the ContiSportContact 5 was supposed to be the replacement?

Those seem quite expensive and the reviews don't look too great either...

holyc0w
02-01-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm not putting too much weight on that yet, since they're fairly new and most of the reviews are for OE tires on new cars.

Vas
02-01-2017, 12:46 PM
Had a set on the wife's car in the factory sizing. Price for a full set was great but the rear tires hit the wear bars way too quickly. Honestly expected them to last alot longer then they did.

Biggest gripe was the soft sidewall.

Hoping there will be a new replacement in the future.

MiniD
02-01-2017, 03:22 PM
In the past I haven't been a big fan of the DW line but I made the switch from the AS3 to the DWS06 on my 335i and could have not been happier. It has been a fantastic tire.

KevinC
02-01-2017, 03:27 PM
Well, here's the replacement..

http://www.continentaltire.com/news/continental-tire-launches-extremecontact-sport

Tire technology marches forward. Presumably.

Vas
02-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Sounds promising.

BMWM3186
02-01-2017, 06:21 PM
I spent a few minutes comparing tires on tire rack with their test results and for most of the results the all seasons were almost identical in performance to their summer counterparts. Are their results in accurate?

UdubBadger
02-01-2017, 06:32 PM
DW's we're ok but I had an early batch that had rubber compound issues. Value was there though.

Rovert
02-01-2017, 08:28 PM
I loved my DW on my ZHP with KWV2 and UUC sways. Now that I have PSS on my M3 on KWV2, I feel that the difference in performance is still very close. The PSS have the DW on ride quality but DW wasn't that bad. Now that the new PS4S is coming out I might found PSS for great deals if they're on sale to clear. But this new Conti replacement seems promising too!

ZHPizza
02-02-2017, 09:23 AM
I spent a few minutes comparing tires on tire rack with their test results and for most of the results the all seasons were almost identical in performance to their summer counterparts. Are their results in accurate?

THANK YOU.

I was going to do this myself after Peter's conversation with a Michelin rep ended with the understanding that the A/S 3+ was nearly on par with the PSS. These numbers seem to confirm it. Huge news for those of us in climates that don't warrant snow tires, but too cold for summers year round.

Edit: Is there no way to tag a user on here? Some of the forums that I have been on would allow you to tag someone with the "@" symbol and it was super useful. So here I would say "Hey @slater, come check out this thread -- we're talking trash about wagons."

holyc0w
02-02-2017, 09:41 AM
I was going to do this myself after Peter's conversation with a Michelin rep ended with the understanding that the A/S 3+ was nearly on par with the PSS. These numbers seem to confirm it. Huge news for those of us in climates that don't warrant snow tires, but too cold for summers year round.

I was wondering about these figures myself for a while. The tests should be pretty controlled, so the only variable factor is maybe temperature?

The only significant difference I see is the wet stopping distance. Other than that would there be any other benefits?

I guess that's why the next generation of summer tires is coming out now.

ryankokesh
02-02-2017, 10:05 AM
Yeah, tests are pretty darn controlled. For each set of tires tested, the tests are run on the same day with each set of tires mounted to a different BMW. I think RaceLogic products are used for timing.

The A/S 3+ is a great tire. Heard mention of it outperforming the DW.

TireRack will test the new ExtremeContact Sport this spring... should have significant steering response over the DW. 30k mile warranty with 3-year flat tire towing doesn't hurt.

Rovert
02-02-2017, 12:29 PM
Huge news for those of us in climates that don't warrant snow tires, but too cold for summers year round.

AS3+ aren't very well optimized for snow too. At least snow that's falling in/near the freezing mark. My friend could barely get to my place when there was a super light layer of snow/slush in his 135i. DWS06 are far better rated for the snow than an AS3+. But as it shows the AS3+ is better in dry and wet conditions, overall.

We'll have to see as the new Conti tire is released, what reviews are on those!! I really love the ride quality of a PSS but the price is still ridiculous. I'll put the money down if I have to because of the quality but if Conti can come through even if it's super marginally worse and the price is 30% less, I'd go with Conti because it's not like I need to be doing 1G of cornering on a public road. Although it is fun!! It's just ridiculously too fast because of so much grip. LOL

san
02-02-2017, 12:45 PM
AS3+ aren't very well optimized for snow too. At least snow that's falling in/near the freezing mark. My friend could barely get to my place when there was a super light layer of snow/slush in his 135i. DWS06 are far better rated for the snow than an AS3+. But as it shows the AS3+ is better in dry and wet conditions, overall.

We'll have to see as the new Conti tire is released, what reviews are on those!! I really love the ride quality of a PSS but the price is still ridiculous. I'll put the money down if I have to because of the quality but if Conti can come through even if it's super marginally worse and the price is 30% less, I'd go with Conti because it's not like I need to be doing 1G of cornering on a public road. Although it is fun!! It's just ridiculously too fast because of so much grip. LOL

Yup, I was able to drive my Zhp in an inch of snow quite easily with a set of new dws06...

dpark
02-07-2017, 11:32 PM
I had the previous version of the DWS for my e46 and they were great in the wet and snow. I was going to get the DWS06 but decided to go with a set of summer tires on my 135s and get 17" wheels and set it up with winter tires and not compromise.

I had the DWs prior to the DWS and didn't feel I lost any performance with the DWS (daily driving conditions with some aggressive back road driving, but no track time) and had a significant advantage in the snow.