PDA

View Full Version : K&N cold air intake

one
03-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Has anyone installed the K&N cold air intake FIPK. K&N claims 11 hp and from all sources the sound alone is worth the effort. But the ballast may get in the way? Anyone attempt this?
dyno sheet from K&N http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/57-1001_dyno.pdf.

Here are their products http://www.knfilters.com/search/hp_search.aspx

kayger12
03-30-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm pretty sure someone on here has the K&N. I have the BMW Performance intake.

Moving over to Performance.

Mike V
03-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Some say K&N flows well because they don't filter well (compared to others such as ITG and aFe). I would look into that before pulling the trigger. My M3 had an ITG foam filter that sounded great.

danewilson77
03-30-2011, 06:44 PM
I had the K&N drop in....and I think it flowed well because of the aformentioned.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Cadeez
03-31-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm personally skeptical of any true dyno'd hp gains from a CAI... I've seen gain numbers for some in the 20's! You might get a few horsies, but 11 is a lot for that alone. Unless you're mating the CAI with an full exhaust, software, cams and a TON of ZHPM stickers, the benifit is mainly the sound...IMO. And any mileage improvement they may state is somewhat of a myth, it may actually improve your mileage, however not when you're pounding the pedal to hear that beautiful music. I had a K&N on my Grand Cherokee 4.7HO, and MAN did that thing sing!!

one
04-03-2011, 11:43 AM
The 'sound' seems to control the selection of these filters with the claims of hp etc. questionable.

My concern is the fitment. Has anyone installed the K&N cold air intake with a 2004-5 330 ci with xenon adaptive headlights?

I kinda don't want to relocate factory parts to make this fit.

Thank you.

I have this setup on a dodge 6cyl pickup and it seems stronger and sounds good. Both characteristics sorely needed on that truck.

ZHP-FTW
04-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Not to burst your bubble or anything, but CAI will only net you 3-5 hp at the crank. They all claim 10-20 hp but that is far from what our car cars ever get. Unless someone can prove otherwise with a dyno, this is my belief on CAI.

kayger12
04-04-2011, 02:10 AM
Not to burst your bubble or anything, but CAI will only net you 3-5 hp at the crank. They all claim 10-20 hp but that is far from what our car cars ever get. Unless someone can prove otherwise with a dyno, this is my belief on CAI.

BMW Performance intake dynoed at 7hp.

Dane will be taking the AFE to the dyno shortly.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

az3579
04-04-2011, 04:11 AM
BMW Performance intake dynoed at 7hp.

Dane will be taking the AFE to the dyno shortly.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

At the crank or wheels?

Sent from my DROIDX

kayger12
04-04-2011, 04:58 AM
At the crank or wheels?

Sent from my DROIDX

Wheels I believe. Let me look for the thread and I'll post it up.

kayger12
04-04-2011, 05:11 AM
Here you go:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507315

ZHP-FTW
04-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Interesting... I guess a few more hp than I thought.....

antcamp
10-04-2011, 08:32 PM
just put my k & n intake on my zhp today and it sounds sick. i love it so far (highway, city, revving in my driveway at 1am, all of the above). I definitely feel a different pick up in higher rpms and the chirp/whistle tone it gives off is worth it to me

Johal E32
10-04-2011, 08:57 PM
i have the k&n. It came with car, but I think it makes a VERY minimal difference. It's more for the sake of cleaning rather than changing your air-filter. If it does really add power than that's nice, since it will make up for some or all those horspeowers that have been lost since new :)

HokieZHP
10-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Johal, do you have the K&N filter or the entire intake system?

I think antcamp got the entire system which would definitely make at least a sound difference.

Johal E32
10-04-2011, 09:03 PM
oh I'm so sorry, I forgot to mention I have the "drop in" intake. I'm sure the entire system would make some sound difference in the higher rpm's, and probably add 3 or 4 hp

HokieZHP
10-04-2011, 09:11 PM
I had the drop in filter in my stock box before going to the aFe. I didn't really notice any gains or sound difference but it was going to be easier to service. I only ran it for maybe 500 miles. Now it's sitting in the aFe box with the rest of my stock intake.

zj96sc
10-05-2011, 08:52 AM
I don't like oiled filters. They make a mess, they're a pain to clean, and they don't filter as well as paper.

I also don't think an oil based filter in front of a MAF sensor is a good idea. If the BMW performance intake has dyno proven gains of 3-6 HP, i'm not sure I buy K&Ns claims of 10.

Paper for me all day long. On my 7.3L diesel I run the "BFAF" or big fawking air filter, its an enormous generic wix filter with a huge surface area but paper element. I do this because diesels and turbo'ed engines are that much more sensitive to particulates and depend on very clean air and k&ns just don't filter well enough.

S85FTW
10-05-2011, 08:56 AM
I have an aem dry filter (cone non oiled) with a Racing Dynamics heat shield, with this set up you get the benefit and sound of the CAI minus the oil and maf issues later on. Coupled with my headers I am sure I would dyno some pretty good gains.