PDA

View Full Version : Eonon GA6150 review

MrAdventure
02-18-2017, 08:04 AM
I posted this over at e46fanatics, figured I'd share it here.

I purchased a GA6150 for my ZHP sedan a while back, so here are my impressions

Installation

My trim pieces' metal pegs got jammed, and I broke off the peg socket on the inner piece.
I cracked and broke the heater vent, and managed to break a fork on one side of the installation tool doing it. The tabs just wouldn't release
I had to use pipe pliers to squeeze the adapter cable to lock into the wiring harness, but I think that's a problem with the harness, not the adapter cable (it did the same thing with the 5150 I had (and returned).
Once I got over that, the GA6150 fits flush, thanks to the change in the antenna mount. It didn't have the same issue as the 5150 I bought previously (and returned).

Appearance

The unit fits well, and looks like it belongs in the center console.
The icons and such are decent.

Operation

The radio is good, once you figure out the tuning buttons (not described anywhere I looked).
The brightness adjustment is better than the 5150 was (which was practically non-existent) and dims well enough, but I wish it would go darker.
The main screen looks nice, with a compressed version of whatever media is selected on the main screen.
The mode button and the steering wheel button below the volume controls both cycle through all the inputs, EXCEPT A2DP. Why? I don't know, but that really should be fixed in a software update.
The phone operation is good and bad. Overall it works well, but I can't figure out if it's using the external mic or the one on the head unit itself. Seems to be both, and I've done some testing. In any case, people sometimes tell me my volume's too low.
A2DP is good, but the volume is very low compared to the radio. This was true in my last car adapter, so I think it's the phone's fault.
[*}Steering wheel controls do work as advertised, BUT, despite what Eonon says, you cannot alter their operation. The app to adjust the controls comes up blank, essentially. The 5150 also couldn't do this either, and they told me it wouldn't work. They really shouldn't advertise that you can alter the buttons if we can't.

I also purchased the forward and backup cameras, but I haven't installed either. I will when Spring comes around.

I considered buying the Dynavin N6, but it's overdue for an upgrade. I've been waiting for the Avin update, but got tired of waiting. IMO, the GA6150 is worth the price.

Cadeez
02-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Great review, thanks for taking the time! I've got a thread going for this very same thing, lots of mixed reviews, but the more info the better. How long have you had it installed? Please keep us posted on the long term usage and any issues you come across. Thanks

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?19495-Eonon-D5150Z-7-quot

MrAdventure
02-18-2017, 12:49 PM
I got and installed it 1st week of January. I'll update after I do the cameras.

Cadeez
03-29-2017, 02:14 PM
Any updates on this unit since the install? How's it been working, any issues, etc?

MrAdventure
03-29-2017, 03:39 PM
It's been working well, except for the sound quality of the mic. I relocated it to right in front of the dashboard display, and it still sounds like I'm talking through a cheap mic, and the level seems lower than other people on conference calls I'm on. I've called and left messages on a couple of answering machines, and I end up sounding distant from the mic. People say I sound fine, but not great. Eonon said that it uses both the mic on the unit's face, and the external one together, perhaps for noise cancelling. I will be trying out one or more other microphones in its place this weekend.

I'm slightly annoyed that you can't cycle to the A2DP app when you cycle through the modes. Instead, I've moved the app to the main set of apps on the screen, so I turn on the car, press Home, and then select the app. Otherwise, it's not that bad, given how inexpensive it is. Radio Reception is reasonable.

I also ran the two USB inputs into the glove box, and then an iPhone charging cable out the glovebox door. It doesn't seem to recognize the audio output through the media player, but A2DP works well enough that I don't care.

If the weather holds through the weekend, I will probably take a crack at installing the front and backup cameras, and run the remote display cable for my Valentine One, while I've got the A pillar removed.

Cadeez
03-30-2017, 01:48 PM
Man that sounds pretty good all in all, I'm happy to finally hear a good review after so many poor ones. I mean, these things have to work for someone! Forgive my lack of tech-knowledgey (see what I did there?), but what's A2DP? I would only be using the system for basic needs; NAV, Bluetooth iPhone connectivity and I think the reverse camera would be pretty sweet. Obviously a major draw is just the looks of it compared to the Business CD as well. I think I'll eventually pick one up and give it a shot, it's worth it for the price. Anyhow, glad to hear all is (mostly) well, keep us posted if things change!

MrAdventure
03-30-2017, 10:58 PM
A2DP is audio streaming from the phone. If you run a music player, a podcast app, or a mapping program, etc., it allows you to hear the audio through the unit. There's a Bluetooth app on the Eonon that's just for phone calls.

ZHPizza
03-31-2017, 04:35 AM
I have a similar unit in another car and just flip between FM tuner, Spotify, Waze, and the occasional Netflix. It's legit. My only complaint is that I have to turn my phone into a hotspot every time that I want to use it for anything data driven.

MrAdventure do you know if this thing can get it's data from a 3G dongle or does it need to run on a WiFi hotspot?

MrAdventure
03-31-2017, 02:46 PM
No idea, sorry.

ZHPizza
04-08-2017, 04:00 AM
GB going on now for the new model with Android 6.0

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1125381

BMWCurves
04-08-2017, 05:35 AM
GB going on now for the new model with Android 6.0

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1125381

Any reviews of that unit (GA7150) or is it too early?

ZHPizza
04-08-2017, 06:35 AM
Any reviews of that unit (GA7150) or is it too early?
This looks like the same thing for $245. Might jump on it.

Android 6.0 Car DVD For BMW E46 car multimedia android Radio Stereo GPS Navigation Quad Core Bluetooth WIFI Radio EW801P6QH
http://s.aliexpress.com/VNvAV3Yb
(from AliExpress Android)

Sreten
04-08-2017, 07:33 AM
Good find. Eonon support is useless anyway.

ZHPizza
04-08-2017, 08:13 AM
Good find. Eonon support is useless anyway.
That's what I've heard. I bought an Android headunit on AliExpress for another car and the backup camera didn't toggle over since the MT sent different signals than the AT. The seller was working with me for a week trying to figure out the wiring. AliExpress let's you request partial refunds without returning the product so the sellers are all about keeping you happy.

Sreten
04-08-2017, 08:23 AM
Didn't know that, even better! Eonon has a worst customer support I've encountered.

I compered the specs and they are exactly the same. I would go for the one from AliExpress. Plus no Eonon logo on the device!

ZHPizza
04-08-2017, 08:58 AM
Didn't know that, even better! Eonon has a worst customer support I've encountered.

I compered the specs and they are exactly the same. I would go for the one from AliExpress. Plus no Eonon logo on the device!
Well I'm between that and this one that's double the ram and cores for only $45 more

Free Camera DVR Car DVD Player For BMW E46 android 6.0 Radio Stereo GPS Navigation 8 Core Bluetooth 4GWIFI CPU 2GB RAM 32GB ROM
http://s.aliexpress.com/FVziIJVR
(from AliExpress Android)

Sreten
04-08-2017, 09:09 AM
AliExpress is just full of surprises. That looks like a better deal, more RAM and cores. It's cheaper, but you pay for shipping.

No feedback on that one, but at that price, it's worth a try.

ZHPizza
04-13-2017, 11:12 AM
AliExpress is just full of surprises. That looks like a better deal, more RAM and cores. It's cheaper, but you pay for shipping.

No feedback on that one, but at that price, it's worth a try.

I drove my other car with the Android headunit for a few days and realized how much I missed the ease of Waze/Spotify/phone calls, so....I went ahead and ordered that 2G 8 core model. We'll see how it is in a few weeks!

Sreten
04-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Very nice. I always use those apps too and why I prefer Android head unit.

Be sure to write a review!

MrAdventure
04-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Geez, less than six months since the GA6150. Obsolescence at its best! even Apple releases new products in yearly increments. I bet they don't have an os update for the 6150, either.

onaquest
05-10-2017, 10:20 PM
I drove my other car with the Android headunit for a few days and realized how much I missed the ease of Waze/Spotify/phone calls, so....I went ahead and ordered that 2G 8 core model. We'll see how it is in a few weeks!

This one piqued my curiosity. Have you received the unit?

ZHPizza
05-11-2017, 03:25 AM
This one piqued my curiosity. Have you received the unit?
I actually installed it last night and it worked beautifully for about an hour before something bad happened with my amp/speakers. I now have no sound even with the OE business radio. I'm investigating the issue and have reached out to the seller. It don't look no good.

Sreten
05-11-2017, 06:06 AM
Damn, that really sucks.

onaquest
05-11-2017, 10:27 PM
oh man, hopefully its something simple to fix

ZHPizza
05-12-2017, 06:07 AM
I actually installed it last night and it worked beautifully for about an hour before something bad happened with my amp/speakers. I now have no sound even with the OE business radio. I'm investigating the issue and have reached out to the seller. It don't look no good.

Damn, that really sucks.

oh man, hopefully its something simple to fix
Man I'm an idiot.

See where I said that it worked great for an hour or so? That was in the garage, car off, blasting music and playing with the headunit.

Car. Off.

I had drained the battery to where it would still power the dash lights/headunit/etc, but didn't have enough juice for the amp that powers all of the speakers in the car.

Jumped it this morning and everything works just fine again. Idiot.

slater
05-12-2017, 06:48 AM
ha!! glad you sorted it out. must've been a humbling feeling. ;)

ZHPizza
05-12-2017, 07:03 AM
ha!! glad you sorted it out. must've been a humbling feeling. ;)

Big time. I just sent the seller another message and was trying to figure out a way of 'eating crow' that would translate over to Chinese well.

I'm just happy that it works...and also really happy that my gamble worked this morning...my jumper cables weren't at the house, so (instead of doing the rational thing and taking the Mazda to work) I carefully rolled the red car back out of the garage, key in position 2, shifter in reverse, and was able to pop it to running on the first try. The stakes were exciting because if it didn't work, I would have a dead car stuck in the parking lot with windows/sunroof open and rain on the way.

I like to party.

slater
05-12-2017, 08:02 AM
oh man. wish you could've got that on video. :)

Sreten
05-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Fun story and glad it worked out! :)

onaquest
05-14-2017, 10:16 AM
This all sounds like something that would happen to me lol. Glad it worked out. If it's not too much trouble, could you post some likes and dislikes about the unit?

ZHPizza
05-14-2017, 11:00 AM
This all sounds like something that would happen to me lol. Glad it worked out. If it's not too much trouble, could you post some likes and dislikes about the unit?
Yeah for sure. I haven't had much time to tinker with it, but I'm pretty happy with the purchase so far. The sound quality is about the same as the OE aux input. The full equalizer controls really help to make it adequate for me. I've only used it for Spotify and FM so far, but I'll update as I get more usage and really push it with more apps.

Only disappointing thing I've found so far is for some reason the Netflix app isn't compatible. Sad.

Cadeez
05-16-2017, 10:23 AM
Good info here, and glad to hear it's working well for you! I've been toying with pulling the trigger on one of these for months now, but I'm still a little hesitant due to all of the horror stories I've heard. What would you rate the ease of install 1-10? Keep in mind electronics are NOT my thing...at all. Is it straight plug n play, or is there some wiring that has to be done? Any extra cables, connectors, hardware, etc. required to install that don't come with the unit? Also, do you have the backup camera? If so, ease of install, and does it function well?

This is the unit you purchased, correct?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Camera-DVR-Car-DVD-Player-For-BMW-E46-android-6-0-Radio-Stereo-GPS-Navigation/32802197114.html?shortkey=FVziIJVR&addresstype=600

And I will need this mounting bracket to make it fit the dash?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/radio-mounting-bracket/51167001410/

ZHPizza
05-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Great write up, and glad to hear it's working well for you! I've been toying with pulling the trigger on one of these for months now, but I'm still a little hesitant due to all of the horror stories I've heard. What would you rate the ease of install 1-10? Keep in mind electronics are NOT my thing...at all. Is it straight plug n play, or is there some wiring that has to be done? Any extra cables, connectors, hardware, etc. required to install that don't come with the unit? Also, do you have the backup camera? If so, ease of install, and does it function well?

This is the unit you purchased, correct?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Camera-DVR-Car-DVD-Player-For-BMW-E46-android-6-0-Radio-Stereo-GPS-Navigation/32802197114.html?shortkey=FVziIJVR&addresstype=600

And I will need this mounting bracket to make it fit the dash?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/radio-mounting-bracket/51167001410/

Yep, that's the one. And that's the correct HVAC bracket if you have the strip buttons for seat heating/etc. That's how mine is. I actually haven't gotten the HVAC bracket yet as the control module fits in there pretty snug as-is, so I'm going to wait to pick one up used or add to a future order.

The bracket just fills the gap on the bottom and gives the HVAC control box somewhere to clip into. It's not required to install the headunit by any means.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170516/bd20ccbd50af8ddb2e2c39cdbe36f039.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170516/f3ce852988c452938412f93bac19f6d0.jpg

Here's where I'm at with this thing:

- Functions GREAT. Even better than expected. I thought that it would be a bit quicker on startup with double the memory, but it's like it hibernates when you turn off the car instead of fully shutting down so it's up and running as soon as you start the car. No loading screen or anything. And it's not staying on, because all of my background downloads stop when I shut the car off (and it displays a "shutting down" message).

- Screen dims and well-matched button lights come on when the lights are on. It doesn't dim quite as much as I would like, but I'm hella light sensitive. Might add twilight or a similar app to help with nighttime country driving.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170516/ede7b20aa2b24c2b8dc28b3312680d56.jpg

- Installation wise, it's been very simple plug and play for the features that I've added so far. I haven't yet run the GPS antenna, external mic, front or rear camera, or any USB cords. Everything is included, though. You don't need to buy anything else (assuming you don't have the stock Nav). I just have the unit loosely shoved into the dash right now and it doesn't seem to want to go all the way back, but I haven't taken the time to dig in there to see if I can move some stuff around to alleviate that.

- Sound quality - Seriously, if this thing didn't have a very customizable EQ, then it would be on it's way back to China. This is not going to work for an audiophile, but with the settings below, I've gotten it working pretty well with my stock HK system. Note that the subwoofer control does nothing, but the other sliders make very noticeable changes on the fly.

I've only been running Spotify so far, but Waze recently added Spotify controls to their app, so I'll show off the interface for that once I get the GPS antenna mounted. I used the feature on a similar headunit in my Mazda over the weekend and couldn't get over how perfect it made the trip. Here is a screenshot from the Spotify app. My Discover Weekly is off the chain this week. Cocaine Jesus lit AF y'all.

I'll provide more updates as I finish the install/test the features over the next week or so. I'm pumped about the backup cam, but not pumped about running the wiring to the trunk.

Cadeez
05-16-2017, 11:51 AM
This is exactly what I wanted to hear!!! Finally, someone with a good experience, I'm sure you're just as happy haha! It's only been installed for a couple weeks though right? Great info and screen shots. I'm not a super music head so as long as it sounds as good as stock, that's perfect. I just need tunes. I think the other big issue guys were having was the steering wheel controls, no issues there right? The interface is easy to toggle/navigate through, not too hard to figure out I assume?

I just have the standard strip with DSC and the speaker icon, no heated seats or anything fancy. Also, no stock NAV, just the biz cd. Are you saying you don't actually need the HVAC bracket to mount it?? If your head unit is currently mounted in the dash without it, what's the need for the new bracket?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/652/32771304840_60551e05d9_b.jpg

Cocaine Jesus had me rolling...great freakin band name!

ZHPizza
05-16-2017, 02:17 PM
This is exactly what I wanted to hear!!! Finally, someone with a good experience, I'm sure you're just as happy haha! It's only been installed for a couple weeks though right? Great info and screen shots. I'm not a super music head so as long as it sounds as good as stock, that's perfect. I just need tunes. I think the other big issue guys were having was the steering wheel controls, no issues there right? The interface is easy to toggle/navigate through, not too hard to figure out I assume?

I just have the standard strip with DSC and the speaker icon, no heated seats or anything fancy. Also, no stock NAV, just the biz cd. Are you saying you don't actually need the HVAC bracket to mount it?? If your head unit is currently mounted in the dash without it, what's the need for the new bracket?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/652/32771304840_60551e05d9_b.jpg

Cocaine Jesus had me rolling...great freakin band name!

Yeah I've only driven the car with it a handful of times now. Still have a lot of tinkering to do. The interface is good and the steering controls worked before I disconnected them to put the spacer in the steering column. I'll have to address the functions of the buttons once I remove it.

I added pics and an explanation of the bracket to my post above. You'll definitely want it eventually. You just don't need it for the headunit install.

Dual
05-16-2017, 02:42 PM
This is so helpful! I'm still on the fence, but this is a great report to absorb. I dont' have nav, so I'd have to do the whole relocate-the-hvac-controls thing: makes it easier to just live with what I've got.

- Sound quality - Seriously, if this thing didn't have a very customizable EQ, then it would be on it's way back to China. This is not going to work for an audiophile, but with the settings below, I've gotten it working pretty well with my stock HK system. Note that the subwoofer control does nothing, but the other sliders make very noticeable changes on the fly.

From an audio pro's perspective almost all the sliders shown are boosting. You could drop them all 4dB to lessen possible overload on the system somewhere and gain extra level on selected bands if you feel the need.

Are there bandwidth or center-frequency controls for bands on the graphic EQ?

BMWCurves
05-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the follow up, definitely a helpful mini review! Now I have to wait for the long term after you get the back up camera, GPS, etc. installed.

Keep us updated!

ZHPizza
05-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Got some garage time tonight to play with this thing some more.

Pulled the steering wheel extender piece, reconnected my wiring, and tested the steering wheel controls. Everything works as expected:
Volume buttons work
Up/down buttons change station (radio) or song (Spotify)
R/T button switches between modes
Bluetooth button brings up the Bluetooth dialer menu below

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170517/9c8d57d3cbbebe1e9d24c1af30238d5c.jpg

I hooked up the DVR camera and played with that a bit. Autocross videos to come!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170517/b7b3eaaa852c89fac61637191972a42b.jpg

I did find my first real issue with the unit in that the antenna plug sticks straight out into the A/C ducting and won't let you push the unit all the way back into the dash.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170517/cc8597e2145704fd37b5a3d55d6c1b98.jpg

I sent the seller that picture and ordered this 90 degree plug to fit the space. The top review was someone with the same issue on an older Eonon unit. I'll be filing a dispute for my $9 for sure.

Metra 44-EC6R 6-Inch Universal Antenna Extension Cable with Right Angle Male https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007WTELW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4G6gzbFGEMAXV

After removing that plug, the unit slid all the way in without issue. I won't know for sure how the fitment is until I get all of the trim back in, but I'm liking what I see so far.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170517/09cdff7c92a336230eae595c85d56b27.jpg

Also made sure that WatchESPN was working, but the weak WiFi signal in my garage was killing the quality.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170517/c7654aafa4ab198ac44ca2928f62dd21.jpg

Left to do:
Test the GPS apps
Wire the backup camera (ffffffff)
Party [emoji41]

ZHPizza
05-16-2017, 05:49 PM
This is so helpful! I'm still on the fence, but this is a great report to absorb. I dont' have nav, so I'd have to do the whole relocate-the-hvac-controls thing: makes it easier to just live with what I've got.

That part is really easy. In fact the whole install is really easy aside from running the wires for peripherals up the pillar or to the trunk. Those are all optional too.

From an audio pro's perspective almost all the sliders shown are boosting. You could drop them all 4dB to lessen possible overload on the system somewhere and gain extra level on selected bands if you feel the need.

Are there bandwidth or center-frequency controls for bands on the graphic EQ?

Uhh that's over my head, but you definitely don't want this unit if you're an audio pro. The Dynavin units are supposed to have great sound output. This is the only other sceen on the graphic EQ:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170517/00e2653ec15b1878ddd8d3ad6a237ba5.jpg

BMWCurves
05-16-2017, 06:27 PM
Great stuff! Now to more questions:

How are you going to run the wiring to the rearview camera?
Do you know the resolution on the front facing camera?
How does the sound quality/levels compare to the stock HK/Business CD head unit?
Are you using an iPhone or Android phone?

ZHPizza
05-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Great stuff! Now to more questions:

I [kinda] got you fam

I don't know yet. I have some links saved on my computer that I'll post here tomorrow, but a lot of people have done it without issue.
Edit: Here is a great set of DIYs for the headunit, backup camera, front cam, etc.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1034241
And what I plan on doing: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=16716232&postcount=833
And some more pictures from others: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1125291
Oh man this might be the most comprehensive of all DIY's: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1003890

I don't. It is an unlabeled USB camera that came with the unit. Could easily replace it with something better. I'll get a road shot once it's mounted.

How does the sound quality/levels compare to the stock HK/Business CD head unit?
I'd say it's on par with the stock setup, but it doesn't actually sound like it. It's more muddy and there's definitely some static that you can hear on songs with silent pauses. BUT the EQ allows you to adjust the levels to make it more punchy than stock. So give up clarity for punch and that's how I score them the same despite them being very different.

Android, but my phone isn't doing anything other than being connected for calls. All of the apps/songs are download straight to the headunit through the Google play store. Effing Netflix just updated their app to not show up for rooted/unlicensed devices, so that's out, but I have Google play movies and Hulu if I need to keep the woman entertained on a trip.

Cadeez
05-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Got ourselves a freakin head unit/camera DIY bible right there! Nice, those will come in handy in the future. Definitely not looking forward to that wiring though, looks like a giant PITA. Maybe I can pay one of my stereo buddies to hook it up for some beers and pizza.

So when you say "muddy" and "staticy", that makes me say...hmm, eww. And again, I'm not an audio snob, but as Digital Underground said...I like my beats funky! (in related news, I also like my oatmeal lumpy) But if you think it still sounds good, or at least equal to our stock Business CD head units, then I'm fine with that.

MrAdventure
05-17-2017, 12:17 PM
I [kinda] got you fam

I don't. It is an unlabeled USB camera that came with the unit. Could easily replace it with something better. I'll get a road shot once it's mounted.

I'd say it's on par with the stock setup, but it doesn't actually sound like it. It's more muddy and there's definitely some static that you can hear on songs with silent pauses. BUT the EQ allows you to adjust the levels to make it more punchy than stock. So give up clarity for punch and that's how I score them the same despite them being very different.

Android, but my phone isn't doing anything other than being connected for calls. All of the apps/songs are download straight to the headunit through the Google play store. Effing Netflix just updated their app to not show up for rooted/unlicensed devices, so that's out, but I have Google play movies and Hulu if I need to keep the woman entertained on a trip.

The front camera resolution isn't great, maybe 1024x768.

I haven't wired up my backup camera yet, either. Haven't felt like running the cable, but now that the weather's changed...

I find the sound quality better. I don't hear the static you're hearing, though I have the HK upgrade and I'm still using the stock speakers.

People have commented that the mic level on calls wasn't great, but that may be more of a function of the phone's signal. I did go and spend $12 on a replacement mono mic - Olympus me52w, and it seems to be better than the stock mic.

I'm running an iPhone. I've had a dropout or two in the few months I've used it but overall it's far better than the old Dice unit I had in my previous e46.

If I were buying now, I'd look at the 7150, since it's supposedly newer/faster/better.

On a different note, I did install the Torque app, and I have been using a Bluetooth OBD II device, but the Eonon seems to lose the connection to the device quite frequently. It could be the device, but I don't think the unit handles multiple active Bluetooth connections well.

Johnmadd
05-17-2017, 02:03 PM
Got ourselves a freakin head unit/camera DIY bible right there! Nice, those will come in handy in the future. Definitely not looking forward to that wiring though, looks like a giant PITA. Maybe I can pay one of my stereo buddies to hook it up for some beers and pizza.

So when you say "muddy" and "staticy", that makes me say...hmm, eww. And again, I'm not an audio snob, but as Digital Underground said...I like my beats funky! (in related news, I also like my oatmeal lumpy) So if you think it still sounds good, or at least equal to our stock Business CD head units, then I'm fine with that.

Lol, I'm with you bud,

BMWCurves
05-17-2017, 02:11 PM
I [kinda] got you fam

I don't know yet. I have some links saved on my computer that I'll post here tomorrow, but a lot of people have done it without issue.
Edit: Here is a great set of DIYs for the headunit, backup camera, front cam, etc.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1034241
And what I plan on doing: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=16716232&postcount=833
And some more pictures from others: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1125291
Oh man this might be the most comprehensive of all DIY's: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1003890

Completely missed this :facepalm

I appreciate the follow up, my man.

ZHPizza
05-17-2017, 07:31 PM
Just wanted to post on here with what I was talking about with the new Waze/Spotify integration.

See that little Spotify symbol on the right?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170518/4a46ac8b1635cd53ca169a0555c3f7cc.jpg

Press that bad boy and bam! Song info, controls, and playlist selection without leaving your nav.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170518/535f2d8abf443db3ef9f4f9c5c7b9271.jpg

I'm just downright giddy with this layout.

Oh and I tested some wiring configurations for the backup camera tonight. Everything works how I want it to, so the next step is running the dash>trunk lid wire. Here we go.

Editing to add:
I hit the "go to Spotify" button today to search for some shit and the Waze directions went with it! Man...this is just a beautiful marriage.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170518/23bf18bf9792eb529dbac73cb6796baf.jpg

BMWCurves
05-17-2017, 10:10 PM
Oh and I tested some wiring configurations for the backup camera tonight. Everything works how I want it to, so the next step is running the dash>trunk lid wire. Here we go.

http://i.imgur.com/abKc7uQ.gif

ZHPizza
05-18-2017, 06:11 AM

So when you say "muddy" and "staticy", that makes me say...hmm, eww. And again, I'm not an audio snob, but as Digital Underground said...I like my beats funky! (in related news, I also like my oatmeal lumpy) But if you think it still sounds good, or at least equal to our stock Business CD head units, then I'm fine with that.

Your stereo buddy could probably do the camera install in 30 minutes. As I go back and forth between the DIY's and sitting in the car actually handling the parts, everything is coming together. I successfully tested the wiring last night and, thanks to the others that went before me, have no more fears about the camera install.

I mean...it sounds freakin' good to me. The EQ settings can really make songs pop. I've listened to probably 150 songs with the new setup and there has only been one where I heard the static. I'm thinking it was "American Pie" by Don McLean. You know where he just kind of pauses during the song? That's when I could hear it. But that's the ONLY time that I've heard it.

I saw in one of the DIY's I linked that a guy capped all of the unused RCA connections to limit static causing interference. I was shifting the headunit around the other night and the static all but disappeared, so it's probably something like that. I'm going to either cap/tape or remove the unused RCA connectors when I get everything squared away and see if that does it.

So all that to say, I think anyone that isn't big into the nuances of audio quality will be happy with the output. I would explore other sellers on AliExpress, though. This guy hasn't been responsive to my issues. We'll see if he is more active when I open a dispute, which I'm waiting to do once I have all of the peripherals installed so I know about any and all issues with the unit.

I find the sound quality better. I don't hear the static you're hearing, though I have the HK upgrade and I'm still using the stock speakers.

Also have the HK system with stock speakers. Like I said above, I think that the static is just some interference from one of the dozen dangling connectors. I don't think it's inherent in the system itself.

People have commented that the mic level on calls wasn't great, but that may be more of a function of the phone's signal. I did go and spend $12 on a replacement mono mic - Olympus me52w, and it seems to be better than the stock mic.

I only tested the mic on one call and they said there was a bad echo. One of the guys in a DIY drilled out the hole on the face of the unit to help the sound get to the mic inside, while others have gone and resoldered some connections. I'll keep testing it and maybe try the drilling thing, but I'm not about to break out the soldering iron. Lots of info on these units here if you want to browse: https://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type

Edit: Here's the thread where the guy drilled out the mic hole http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1003890

If I were buying now, I'd look at the 7150, since it's supposedly newer/faster/better.

Well the "newest of the new" is the 2GB/8core 7150A, which Eonon "introduced" like 6 weeks after the 1GB/4core 7150. The 2GB ram/8core unit that I got, which is the same as their 7150A, was on AliExpress months ago. I've been checking the memory usage on mine and it's consistently showing almost 900MB. Are you having any lagging issues with your unit with 1GB ram?

http://i.imgur.com/abKc7uQ.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/e6e1P3wC6xkYg/giphy.gif

Cadeez
05-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Your stereo buddy could probably do the camera install in 30 minutes. As I go back and forth between the DIY's and sitting in the car actually handling the parts, everything is coming together. I successfully tested the wiring last night and, thanks to the others that went before me, have no more fears about the camera install.

I mean...it sounds freakin' good to me. The EQ settings can really make songs pop. I've listened to probably 150 songs with the new setup and there has only been one where I heard the static. I'm thinking it was "American Pie" by Don McLean. You know where he just kind of pauses during the song? That's when I could hear it. But that's the ONLY time that I've heard it.

I saw in one of the DIY's I linked that a guy capped all of the unused RCA connections to limit static causing interference. I was shifting the headunit around the other night and the static all but disappeared, so it's probably something like that. I'm going to either cap/tape or remove the unused RCA connectors when I get everything squared away and see if that does it.

So all that to say, I think anyone that isn't big into the nuances of audio quality will be happy with the output. I would explore other sellers on AliExpress, though. This guy hasn't been responsive to my issues. We'll see if he is more active when I open a dispute, which I'm waiting to do once I have all of the peripherals installed so I know about any and all issues with the unit.

F it, I'm getting one! For $299 plus the $96 bracket and the ~$12 cord you mentioned, it's still a good deal. Is there a way to download different "loading" screens? What I mean is, when you turn the car on, can you have the display screen show different pics/images like a BMW roundel or something like that?

holyc0w
05-18-2017, 08:36 AM
I went looking around and found another option.

https://www.erisin.com/erisin-es6046b-7-android-60-car-radio-system-3g-bluetooth-for-bmw-e46_p810.html

ZHPizza
05-18-2017, 08:58 AM
F it, I'm getting one! For $299 plus the $96 bracket and the ~$12 cord you mentioned, it's still a good deal. Is there a way to download different "loading" screens? What I mean is, when you turn the car on, can you have the display screen show different pics/images like a BMW roundel or something like that?

There is indeed a BMW roundel loading screen that you can select in the 'Extra Settings' menu (password is 126). You'll probably never see it, though. The thing just boots up ready to go every time you start the car. No loading screen.

I went looking around and found another option.

https://www.erisin.com/erisin-es6046b-7-android-60-car-radio-system-3g-bluetooth-for-bmw-e46_p810.html

That's the exact unit that I have, but the generated images are showing a different physical button layout and launcher screen. Apps and menu screens are all the same. I wonder if the actual product looks like that...no pictures of it.

They really did an excellent job of listing the specifications/capabilities of these units, though. Great reference material!

I checked out their pricing, since AliExpress is usually your best bet for this stuff.

Erisin = $269 + $45 shipping = $314 total for just the head unit (cheaper than Eonon)

Getting mine from AliExpress was $290 (now $295) total and included the two cameras (which are cheap, but whatevs).

Erisin/Eonon/Etc tend to just rebadge the same unit and sell it with their own markup/branding.

onaquest
05-18-2017, 09:11 AM
I use an iphone, anyone know how these android units interact with them plugged into usb?

holyc0w
05-18-2017, 10:39 AM
That's the exact unit that I have, but the generated images are showing a different physical button layout and launcher screen. Apps and menu screens are all the same. I wonder if the actual product looks like that...no pictures of it.

Erisin/Eonon/Etc tend to just rebadge the same unit and sell it with their own markup/branding.

Makes sense, I was going off the pictures. I started out at the Avin website and noticed they had a $500 unit with 2G ram and Android 6.0. I searched the model number and somehow ended up looking at this unit.

Layout looks as pictured

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCr4KPg5yyA

ZHPizza
05-18-2017, 04:14 PM
Got the piece that I needed to finish the install. It's not much of a difference, but it should be all that I need.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170519/5a7614bb7a2d10421c097135288440b3.jpg

Now to find the time to finish it all...

Dual
05-19-2017, 03:53 AM
Good luck- I know you'll get it all nailed down.

I'm going to try to clarify what I said earlier about the graphic EQ settings.

If you look your graphic EQ curve and try to guess what the center line of that curve is, it's about 4dB (ticks) above zero. So if you pull every slider down 4 ticks, you'll accomplish the same effect as what you have but with less possibility for overload in the system, plus the ability to add more level in a given frequency should you choose to do so (not reccomended tho).

Hope that helps.

ZHPizza
05-19-2017, 04:43 AM
Good luck- I know you'll get it all nailed down.

I'm going to try to clarify what I said earlier about the graphic EQ settings.

If you look your graphic EQ curve and try to guess what the center line of that curve is, it's about 4dB (ticks) above zero. So if you pull every slider down 4 ticks, you'll accomplish the same effect as what you have but with less possibility for overload in the system, plus the ability to add more level in a given frequency should you choose to do so (not reccomended tho).

Hope that helps.

Thanks! I actually got it adjusted per your recommendations yesterday and feel much better about it.

I found this, which I think is what you were asking about in your post. Looks like some people have modified these to add more audio controls.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3725891&d=1461235151

Info here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcb-hardware-development/mtc-sound-controlling-bd37xxx-sound-t3234660

Looks like a lot more effort than I want to put into this thing.

ZHPizza
05-19-2017, 05:05 AM
Makes sense, I was going off the pictures. I started out at the Avin website and noticed they had a $500 unit with 2G ram and Android 6.0. I searched the model number and somehow ended up looking at this unit.

Layout looks as pictured

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCr4KPg5yyA

That video shows exactly what I was talking about with the no-load-screen thing! It's amazing! I left the car for 2+ days and still didn't have a load screen.

I kind of like that button layout too. The the back button on mine is clicking the knob on the right side, which is fine, but would be more ergonomic on the left side. Looks like the right knob is mute on the Erisin unit, while it's the left (volume) knob on mine. So funny how they mapped the same internal hardware differently.

Here's a comparison for everyone that's like "wtf is this dude going on about..."

Erisin Unit

https://www.erisin.com/images/htmlarea/ES6046B/ES6046B-R_17.jpg

My Unit (heh)

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB13f_kQXXXXXXnXFXXq6xXFXXX9/225530983/HTB13f_kQXXXXXXnXFXXq6xXFXXX9.jpg?size=94670&height=680&width=800&hash=4431f6ab5c03a1d2e2984fe868cc4b58

- I set the NAV button to open Waze
- The BAND button cycles between FM1/FM2/FM3?/AM1/AM2. Nice if you visit 2-3 cities often. I think it takes you directly to the radio if you're in another app.
- MENU is a home button
- MODE cycles between radio/dvr/dvd/music/ipod/etc. I don't use it because I can't add Spotify as a "mode."
- Left knob is volume control, click to mute
- Right side is pretty self explanatory, except that clicking the right knob acts as a back button. I thought that the Erisin setup looked a little cleaner, but wanted the song controls on the right side to make it easier for the wife to skip the track whenever Creed starts playing. She just can't handle the beastly vocals of Scott Stapp.

Cadeez
05-23-2017, 03:05 PM
So glad you started this thread, I was really getting bummed out that everyone was having so many issues with their Eonon units. So this alternative seems like a great option! And now that you've laid out all of the inner workings, settings, etc so nicely, I should be able to set mine up (once I order it) without issue :roundel

ZHPizza
05-23-2017, 03:11 PM
So glad you started this thread, I was really getting bummed out that everyone was having so many issues with their Eonon units. So this alternative seems like a great option! And now that you've laid out all of the inner workings, settings, etc so nicely, I should be able to set mine up (once I order it) without issue :roundel
Yeah it's definitely turned out to be better than I expected. I think you'll be really happy with the audio output too. I didn't fully appreciate it until I was disappointed listening to some of my saved songs at home and realized that I only liked them in the car where they sound a lot better. I just ordered the Bavsound​ speaker kit to go with it after a guy was telling me how well they work together.

I'd search around for a different seller, though. This guy hasn't​been helpful at all.

BMWCurves
05-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Yeah it's definitely turned out to be better than I expected. I think you'll be really happy with the audio output too. I didn't fully appreciate it until I was disappointed listening to some of my saved songs at home and realized that I only liked them in the car where they sound a lot better. I just ordered the Bavsound​ speaker kit to go with it after a guy was telling me how well they work together.

I'd search around for a different seller, though. This guy hasn't​been helpful at all.

I'm seriously considering joining you...

ZHPizza
05-23-2017, 03:30 PM
I'm seriously considering joining you...
I mean...they have a 100 day return window if the price drops more or you find out they're shit or you decide that they weren't worth $347...and that's all before you even get home to install them.

Haynix
06-05-2017, 09:10 AM
I bought the Eonon GA7150A (8-core + more ram than GA7150). Hardware performance is pretty good but there are some kinks i'm stilll working out. My biggest issue at the moment is trying to find a USB 3G dongle to get a data connection. Looking for reco's.

I have Project Fi which uses T-Mobile data towers. I asked Eonon support and they gave me god damn PCI-Express cards. useless.

I bought a "Unlocked ZTE MF669" (http://www.ebay.com/itm/122195746441) which did not work. I think its only configurable via Windows PC, so the android unit didn't recognize it and i couldn't configure the APN (Access Point Name).

Anyone have success with any particular 3G USB dongle for android/eonon units?

Once I get everything running I'll try to post a review.

ZHPizza
06-05-2017, 09:49 AM
I bought the Eonon GA7150A (8-core + more ram than GA7150). Hardware performance is pretty good but there are some kinks i'm stilll working out. My biggest issue at the moment is trying to find a USB 3G dongle to get a data connection. Looking for reco's.

I have Project Fi which uses T-Mobile data towers. I asked Eonon support and they gave me god damn PCI-Express cards. useless.

I bought a "Unlocked ZTE MF669" (http://www.ebay.com/itm/122195746441) which did not work. I think its only configurable via Windows PC, so the android unit didn't recognize it and i couldn't configure the APN (Access Point Name).

Anyone have success with any particular 3G USB dongle for android/eonon units?

Once I get everything running I'll try to post a review.

Eonon just posted on e46f recommending using a HUAWEI E3370 4G dongle. I know that Google Fi will give you a sim card to use with our data plan, but I'm not sure if you can just plug it into one of these or what. Might want to inquire with Google on that one.

Haynix
06-06-2017, 07:06 AM
Eonon just posted on e46f recommending using a HUAWEI E3370 4G dongle. I know that Google Fi will give you a sim card to use with our data plan, but I'm not sure if you can just plug it into one of these or what. Might want to inquire with Google on that one.

I saw that too right after posting this. I just bought the Huawei E3372s for $40 on ebay. hopefully it works.
I did get a data sim from google and a sim card adapter. The Huawei won't arrive for a few days, i'll try to remember to reply with results.

BMWCurves
06-06-2017, 07:51 AM
Have you hooked up your BavSound kit with your Eonon head unit yet?

ZHPizza
06-06-2017, 08:14 AM

Nah -- I tore the whole interior out of the car and then got distracted with swapping in the new shocks/struts. I actually test drove it to work today with just a drivers seat and no rear speakers, much less seats/pillars/liners. I've been travelling too much lately, but am hoping to get the speakers/panels installed over the next 2-3 weeks.

BMWCurves
06-07-2017, 06:24 AM
Nah -- I tore the whole interior out of the car and then got distracted with swapping in the new shocks/struts. I actually test drove it to work today with just a drivers seat and no rear speakers, much less seats/pillars/liners. I've been travelling too much lately, but am hoping to get the speakers/panels installed over the next 2-3 weeks.

Haha I can picture it. Let us know how it sounds once you have it installed.

nextelbuddy
06-07-2017, 07:11 AM
google project FI SIM will not work completely, it should work only on Tmobile but any device other than their approved units lack the apprpriate carrier/band switching technology.

Haynix
06-08-2017, 07:16 AM

I have the BavSound Stage 1 hooked up to the Eonon GA7150A.

Functionally, all the speakers work. Sound quality is ok. I have problems with with the BavSound kit resonating the rear shelf and creating vibrations and unequal lows (with stock radio too). I have the infamous tennis ball trick applied to the rear shelf but it still resonates. I'd like to stuff it with sound insulation. It could also be the trunk, I'm not really sure. It's lower on my to-do list than other things.

With the Eonon, you definitely get more customization than the stock radio via the equalizer app. I've never been crazy about the BavSound kit in the first place, but it sounds ok. I'm still trying to dial in the equalizer settings to get it right. So overall it sounds better by virtue of enhanced customization via the equalizer. An audiophile would probably be disappointed.

Any particular questions?

Haynix
06-08-2017, 07:22 AM
FYI
Tina from Eonon support just gave me this list of 3G/4G dongles to use for USB data connection of the Eonon GA7150A. She recommended the HUAWEI E3370, but the below list are other options.

These are all Huawei products:
E176 E176
E1550-U E1550
EC1261 EC1261
EC122 EC122
EC189 EC189
EC167 EC167
EC1270 EC1270
ET188 ET188
ET127 ET127/158/128-2
ET128-2 ET127/158/128-3
E158 E158
E1820 E1820-0
E1552 E1552
E1786 E1786
E1756 E1756
E1612 E1612
E1782 E1782
E172 E17X
E1750 E1750
E173 E173
E1630 E1630
E226 E226
E156G E156G
E160E E160G
E160G E160G
E160 E160X
E166 E166
E169 E169
E1752 E1752
E230 E230
E272 E272
E169u E169u
E1692 E1692
UMG181 UMG181
K3715 K3715
E270 E270
E510 E510

MrAdventure
10-17-2017, 08:25 AM
So, 10 months in, and I just wanted to provide an update.

I purchased Eonon's OBD II Bluetooth device, and it works better than the generic one I had previously. It syncs up fairly quickly and Torque is rather good. Sound is still resonable. I installed the front camera when I wired my car for my V1 remote display. Camera records 10minutes of video before saving and then starts up a newer file. I never installed the rear camera.

issues:
-I run A2DP almost exclusively. You can't cycle to it via the 'band' source button. If you had it running and then restarted your car, the display goes back to the Bluetooth device screen, and you have to fiddle with the controls to get back to the A2DP player
-every time after starting the car, it takes 1-2 minutes to be read, and then another minute for Bluetooth
-Bluetooth connectivity randomly stops working to my iPhone 6S, and the only way to reconnect is to power off the unit, disable/re-enable Bluetooth on the phone.
-AM radio tuning isn't precise enough. I can't seem to tune to specific frequencies (1010 results in 1006, 1130 latches in poorly on 1124). I know that radio stations wander in frequency slightly, but it's annoying
-Haven't figured out where to find and provide maps via an SD card, so GPS won't work. Can't get GPS coordinates out because there are no maps loaded (catch-22). I don't plan on buying their map card.
-Eonon seems more interested in releasing newer units than updating firmware on old units - since mine, first released about a year ago, they've released the GA6150F, GA7150 and GA7150A for the e46. Do they ever stop to catch a breath? Does anyone know any sites that have firmware?

As I said previously, it works well enough that I'll probably just keep this until someone sells a unit that'll fit and do Apple CarPlay. sigh.

Haynix
10-18-2017, 08:06 AM
So, 10 months in, and I just wanted to provide an update.

I purchased Eonon's OBD II Bluetooth device, and it works better than the generic one I had previously. It syncs up fairly quickly and Torque is rather good. Sound is still resonable. I installed the front camera when I wired my car for my V1 remote display. Camera records 10minutes of video before saving and then starts up a newer file. I never installed the rear camera.

issues:
-I run A2DP almost exclusively. You can't cycle to it via the 'band' source button. If you had it running and then restarted your car, the display goes back to the Bluetooth device screen, and you have to fiddle with the controls to get back to the A2DP player
-every time after starting the car, it takes 1-2 minutes to be read, and then another minute for Bluetooth
-Bluetooth connectivity randomly stops working to my iPhone 6S, and the only way to reconnect is to power off the unit, disable/re-enable Bluetooth on the phone.
-AM radio tuning isn't precise enough. I can't seem to tune to specific frequencies (1010 results in 1006, 1130 latches in poorly on 1124). I know that radio stations wander in frequency slightly, but it's annoying
-Haven't figured out where to find and provide maps via an SD card, so GPS won't work. Can't get GPS coordinates out because there are no maps loaded (catch-22). I don't plan on buying their map card.
-Eonon seems more interested in releasing newer units than updating firmware on old units - since mine, first released about a year ago, they've released the GA6150F, GA7150 and GA7150A for the e46. Do they ever stop to catch a breath? Does anyone know any sites that have firmware?

As I said previously, it works well enough that I'll probably just keep this until someone sells a unit that'll fit and do Apple CarPlay. sigh.

I've had the GA7150A for a few months now and share similar disappointments. I don't use bluetooth for music, I use Spotify Premium in the headunit.

Data:
I cannot get the 3G/4G working yet and I don't think I will. There are no settings to manually change the APN/User/Password for the 4G dongle. It seems it will only work if your 4G dongle is plug n play. That may be because I'm using a data-only SIM from Google Fi. I've tried 2 different 4G dongles and neither work on the headunit. Others' experience may vary.

Maps:
You can download areas through the Google Maps app when you're on WiFi. However the Nav will not work unless you have an active internet connection (4g or Wifi, etc). I think the SD card is just general extra storage.

Firmware:
I haven't looked for any firmware updates.

Other notes:
Sound is OK. More tunable than the stock headunit at least.

Steering Wheel Buttons app doesn't work so I can't remap them. The volume/track buttons work, but the other two buttons functions are useless to me.

Speed is pretty good, no complaints. Startup time is perfectly fine.

It also will randomly change startup behavior, i.e. it will sometimes load the home page, sometimes the bluetooth screen, most of the time Spotify.

The hard button layout is fucking stupid. There's a hard button to change the radio band but no App Switch hard button.

The only way this headunit works as expected is if I turn my phone into a WiFi hotspot. Even then it's not perfect because my Spotify thinks this is a home WiFi connection and will use my phone data to download playlists. Not to mention the whole point of buying this headunit was to not have to take my phone out of my pocket.

If you don't have an active data connection, many of the android functions don't work and apps will crash. Nav will not reroute and sometimes crash, Google Assistant will timeout when you ask it something.

FYI, I think this headunit is referred to as a "white-label" product from China, meaning it's produced unbranded in batches then other brands can slap their name on them and sell them. There are other almost identical units from Seicane that have better button layouts. I don't think Chinese products are up to the western level of branding and support yet. They just sell a batch of products they didn't make with their name on it, then move on to another batch. I don't expect to ever see a firmware update. Our best hope is if an android coder jailbreaks it with custom software.

I rate it 3/5 at best.

MrAdventure
10-18-2017, 11:09 AM
I've had the GA7150A for a few months now and share similar disappointments. I don't use bluetooth for music, I use Spotify Premium in the headunit.

Steering Wheel Buttons app doesn't work so I can't remap them. The volume/track buttons work, but the other two buttons functions are useless to me.

FYI, I think this headunit is referred to as a "white-label" product from China, meaning it's produced unbranded in batches then other brands can slap their name on them and sell them.

I rate it 3/5 at best.

Yeah, Eonon went back and changed their advertising about that after I complained, guess they brought it back. They specifically told me it wouldn't work.

You're right about it being one supplier and many vendors. I've seen the same unit with different brand names associated.

I'd probably give it a 3/5 as well. Good enough, but not something I'd actively recommend.

johnrando
10-18-2017, 02:52 PM
Good reviews, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Haynix
10-19-2017, 07:19 AM
I did some more research and I found a wealth of information on the Android Developer forums. I may have found a solution to my 3G data problem, and possibly solutions to yours MrAdventure. I'll be trying it tonight.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-head-units

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcb-android-head-unit-general

https://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type

wertyu78
10-19-2017, 12:55 PM
I did some more research and I found a wealth of information on the Android Developer forums. I may have found a solution to my 3G data problem, and possibly solutions to yours MrAdventure. I'll be trying it tonight.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-head-units

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/mtcb-android-head-unit-general

https://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type

I suspect the best approach is that of sourcing the best MTCB/MTCC available and then building your own version of the OS, catered to your liking and desires.

Currently looking into the best solution for my E91.

MrAdventure
04-02-2018, 07:52 AM
This weekend, I received and installed one of these new CarPlay dongles for my car. This is the one I got:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carplay-USB-Dongle-For-Apple-iPhone-Android-Car-Auto-Navigation-Music-Player/332544714067

There is SOME on-screen mirroring of SOME of the IOS apps. Those are:

AudioBooks (haven't used)
Car (returns you to the Eonon screen)
Downcast (podcast player)
Maps
Messages (texting)
Music
Now PLaying (jumps back to what's playing)
Podcasts
Phone

To get it working, first, you download and install the CarPlay app to your head unit. It wasn't on the Google Play site, but in a link provided on the box via a QR code. I had to copy to my phone and then to a USB stick and then to the unit. Second, after it's installed, you open the app, plug in the dongle to a USB port, and it prompts you to plug in the phone into it. You're off and running. I disabled the Bluetooth connection I already had to see what it'd do.

Some observations:

Last three apps are top left of the screen and swappable. There's a Home button bottom left that gets you to the CarPlay main menu

The Phone app opens into your favorites screen. When you make a call, it tracks the time on the screen. You're given hangup and mute buttons on the screen, too, and it displays the caller name, but no photo. Incoming calls use your ringtones, not Eonon's. Not sure yet if it's using the phone's mic or the ones from the Eonon itself.

Apple Maps works, but I found it easiest to choose the destination on the phone. Directions are announced, and if you're using the Music or Downcast player, and that output is paused and resumed after the voice directions are given. Moving map display is ok, but you can't zoom in or out on the Eonon screen.

Music player is good, and you get to navigate through the music options - Playlists, Songs, Albums, etc. No Album Artwork is displayed. You can't scroll within the song's playtime, and the steering wheel select up/down buttons don't work, though there are buttons on the screen that do.

Some general observations:

-Reasonable navigation within the converted apps, though some of the buttons are in the corners.
-The select up/down buttons on your steering wheel don't work with it - they aren't passed on. Steering wheel volume control works.
-I do prefer the Waze app for directions. You can still use it, but only controlled via the phone, and you won't see the maps on the display.
-The slider bar for playing time is not selectable.
-I haven't looked into it, but it may or may not be charging the phone while it's running.
-Every time it starts, the Eonon asks if CarPlay is the default app to open it. Not saved in Settings, apparently.

So far, I'm ok with it, but I wish it was more compatible with all the apps.

BADCLOWN
04-04-2018, 03:16 PM
This thread makes me want to upgrade from my eonon5150 unit

KevinC
04-04-2018, 04:06 PM
So far, I'm ok with it, but I wish it was more compatible with all the apps.

Probably not the dongle's fault - only a subset of Apple apps are CarPlay-compatible.

I have CarPlay / Android Auto on my VW. I'm a 100% Apple guy / geek so I'd be all over it IF the stock head unit software wasn't so good. The only times I wind up using it is for a change of pace. The VW nav is excellent, media player, SiriusXM, etc., all work superbly right out of the box.

Here's something for anyone with CarPlay & a SiriusXm subscription that supports streaming can try - the streaming app has 3 bandwidth settings, and the sound quality is LIGHT YEARS better than the ultra-compressed low-res stream that the satellites beam down. The highest setting is allegedly 320kbps. Even at the middle setting (I forget the alleged bitrate here 192k maybe?), it sounds spectacular. On a long trip where I want to primarily listen to Sirius, I use CarPlay for this reason. My T-Mo plan has unlimited data so no prob streaming metric buttloads of music.

MrAdventure
04-05-2018, 05:02 PM
This thread makes me want to upgrade from my eonon5150 unit

I'd wait until they offer CarPlay standard.

MrAdventure
04-05-2018, 05:06 PM
Probably not the dongle's fault - only a subset of Apple apps are CarPlay-compatible.

I wasn't aware - I guess it isn't the be all end all that I want it to be.

Here's something for anyone with CarPlay & a SiriusXm subscription that supports streaming can try -

I will say this - the CarPlay connection definitely is not as compressed as the BT A2DP that the head unit offers.

BADCLOWN
04-06-2018, 04:17 AM
I'd wait until they offer CarPlay standard.

I wish somebody effing would. Literally nobody making a DD unit with CarPlay. It’s all android (if you can’t tell, I’m an Apple guy)

danewilson77
04-06-2018, 07:55 AM
I wish somebody effing would. Literally nobody making a DD unit with CarPlay. It’s all android (if you can’t tell, I’m an Apple guy)Switch to Android bruh

Newjack
04-06-2018, 08:05 AM
Switch to Android bruh

Sent from my SM-G955U using TapatalkApple is still king of forcing their fans to use their overpriced version of the same product everyone else uses.

Let's call it a lightning cable and bump up the price 50%.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

danewilson77
04-06-2018, 08:20 AM
Apple is still king of forcing their fans to use their overpriced version of the same product everyone else uses.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TapatalkOh believe me. I have 5 Apples on my account. 4 Androids.

az3579
04-06-2018, 08:39 AM
Apple is still king of forcing their fans to use their overpriced version of the same product everyone else uses.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TapatalkAnd on top of that, BMW is jumping on the money rape train... They are switching to a subscription service so you have to pay yearly to use CarPlay. Just having to even pay for it in the first place is ludicrous since it's standard on a bunch of cheaper cars...

It seems anything Apple-related is gauranteed to rake in the dough.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Newjack
04-06-2018, 08:45 AM
And on top of that, BMW is jumping on the money rape train... They are switching to a subscription service so you have to pay yearly to use CarPlay. Just having to even pay for it in the first place is ludicrous since it's standard on a bunch of cheaper cars...

It seems anything Apple-related is gauranteed to rake in the dough.

Sent from my Pixel using TapatalkSee I don't give a shit about any of that. I want three pedals, rear wheel drive and a fucking turn key

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BADCLOWN
04-08-2018, 10:37 AM
If all my other shit wasn’t Apple I would maybe consider a switch (airport w/ 1TB wireless storage, 27ich iMac, MBpro for leah, her iPhone SE, my two iPods, my iPhone 6s, and Apple TV). I really want to upgrade to an iPhone X but the price is downright rape. It’s absurd.

MrAdventure
03-23-2019, 08:42 AM
Long term update, and probably my last. My ZHP has been having some power problems. If I let the car sit for two days, I would come back to find the battery completely dead. It would charge up and start, and then I'd be good until the next time I let the car sit. On top of that, I've been having problems with the GM5 module, where every so often, it would appear that the module froze up and none of its functions (remote locking, interior lights, wipers, etc) would work. After some fumfering around, I found I could get the functionality back if I pulled and reseated a certain fuse (#49) while the ignition was in the on position (which resets the alarm that would start going off). It was getting rather frustrating, especially when driving other people around.

I talked to the BMW GM5 repair guy, and he said it wasn't a problem that he fixed, so he didn't want me to waste money by sending mine to him. I got an inexpensive replacement from ebay, recoded it, but the problem persisted. I kept looking online, and found that some other car brands had battery drain issues with Eonons, and there were thoughts that some pins were getting constant power that only needed switched power, for both the head unit, and the iBus adapter (for steering wheel controls, etc). I even reached out to Mike Miller, who suggested a simple approach - remove the radio. So, I swapped the original Business CD, and the GM5 problems pretty much disappeared, but the battery problem did not. The charging time was increasing from maybe 5-10 minutes to 25+ (with attempts to start during that time). Drove the car for half an hour to charge it and then left it overnight. It was dead the next morning. I hadn't suspected the battery, because I installed a Bosch AGM battery about 18 months ago. Sure enough, I brought it in, and it failed testing almost immediately, and they gave me a free replacement, since it was so new.

Since the new battery, I ran the car with the stock radio for a couple weeks, and then swapped in the head unit without the bus adapter. Throughout that time, it worked fine, no GM5 failures, no dead battery problems. Without the bus module, I had to manually control the volume and brightness on the unit itself. On Thursday, I reconnected the bus module, and twice yesterday, I had to do the fuse trick twice, and I have officially thrown in the towel with this unit. I don't know what it is, but it's probably something between the wiring harness and the bus adapter. I don't feel like trying to track it down any more.

Last night, I put in an order for an Avin Avant 4, with a few extra bells and whistles.

johnrando
03-23-2019, 11:54 AM
Did the new unit fix it? Bad FSR is a known battery drain issue.

MrAdventure
03-24-2019, 07:09 PM
Did the new unit fix it? Bad FSR is a known battery drain issue.

Final Stage Resistor - I did a quick check online, and I don't seem to have any of the symptoms of a bad one.

Meanwhile, I just ordered the Avant 4 late Friday, and it'll be here Friday.

johnrando
03-24-2019, 07:40 PM
Thought you had battery drain?

MrAdventure
03-25-2019, 04:16 AM
Thought you had battery drain?

Ah, when you said new unit, I thought you meant the aftermarket head unit.

The new battery seems to be holding a charge. It's been a few weeks since I installed the replacement, and no issues, yet.