PDA

View Full Version : How to enable triple blink on a 4.5 LCM using NCS Expert?

anandoc
02-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Terra was gracious enough to flash a 3.6 LCM with 4.5 SW and code in the following items before sending it to me:

1. Halogen high-beams with bi-xenon (PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON = wert_01)
2. Fog lights allowed with high-beam (FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ = nicht_aktiv)
3. Front DRL delete (GED_FL_ALS_DRL = nich_aktiv)
4. Front parking lights disabled when low-beam is on (SIDEMARKER_US = nicht_aktiv)
5. Tail-light DRL (FL_DRL_MIT_RL = aktiv)
5. Triple blink - but with 5 blinks

I swapped in the newly coded LCM and everything was working great (including 5 blinks) except for rear DRLs. I did some searching around and found out (here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?11035-LKM-recoding&p=401861#post401861)) that for it to work, either 'GED_FL_ALS_DRL' or 'PO_ALS_DRL' should also be set to 'aktiv'.

So yesterday I went out and set PO_ALS_DRL to 'aktiv' using NCS Expert and I was successfully able to enable taillight DRL.

However, this morning I found out that my triple blink functionality is gone. I went back to the backup of the FSW_PSW.TRC file of the LCM module from yesterday to check the state of the CYCL_TI_BLK keyword. Strange enough, I don't even see this keyword in the backed up TRC file. Apart from setting 'PO_ALS_DRL' to 'aktiv', I did not make any other changes to my LCM yesterday.

Question: How do I get my triple blink back (with 5 blinks) using NCS Expert? Hoping one of the coding guys can set me right. Thanks!!

johnrando
02-21-2017, 10:00 AM
There is a thread somewhere on how to set triple blink. Don't have time to search for it at the moment.

cakM3
02-21-2017, 10:03 AM
There is a thread somewhere on how to set triple blink. Don't have time to search for it at the moment.

Just send either terra or BP a PM. They both know how to do this :thumbsup

anandoc
02-21-2017, 05:18 PM

Just send either terra or BP a PM. They both know how to do this :thumbsup

Thanks folks.

After work, I plugged in NCS Expert again and ran a 'CODIERDATEN_LESEN' on the LCM and opened up the resulting TRC file. Lo and behold, the CYCL_TI_BLK keyword was present, set to 'EINMAL'. I set it to DREIMAL and ran a SG_CODIEREN and had my triple blink back with 3 blinks.

Apparently, you need to use NCS Dummy to set it to more than 3 blinks and for whatever reason NCS Dummy would not load on my Windows 8.1 machine. Go figure. I also coded impulse hazards (BLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK = wert_04) while I was at it.

My hunch is that since Terra had originally coded my triple blink to 5 blinks using NCS Dummy, when I initially did a read of the LCM module yesterday, NCS Expert did not recognize the 5 blinks and defaulted back to 1 blink (EINMAL).

Now I need to figure out how to get NCS Dummy to work on my Windows 8.1 coding machine so I can get back my 5 blinks.

slater
02-21-2017, 05:47 PM
dude, this is awesome. i need to dig into NCSDummy - so much i could be doing with it.

Overboost
02-21-2017, 09:10 PM
Here is the method for 5 blinks using NCS Dummy from Terra. I named mine funfmal. :rofl

Basically, open up the LSZ.C36 (if 4.0) or LSZ.C37 (4.5) file with NCS Dummy without loading any FSW_PSW files, go down to cycle_ti_blk, right click it, and click "add parameter". Name it whatever you want, and under data put the number of blinks you want (maximum is 7). Then click on module -> update module.

You should be able to use that new parameter when coding the LSZ now.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?11035-LKM-recoding&p=518943#post518943

anandoc
02-22-2017, 03:02 AM
^ Thanks ^

NCS Dummy wont launch on my Windows 8 machine for whatever reason. If I can figure that out, I will give this method a shot.

az3579
02-22-2017, 03:26 AM
^ Thanks ^

NCS Dummy wont launch on my Windows 8 machine for whatever reason. If I can figure that out, I will give this method a shot.

What's the issue?

anandoc
02-22-2017, 05:37 AM
What's the issue?

I'll post detailed screenshots and troubleshooting steps already tried this evening. NCS Expert on the other hand works just fine.

anandoc
02-23-2017, 06:40 AM
On Windows 8 (Build 9600), I get the following when I double click on NCSDummy.exe

http://i.imgur.com/shU9NLNh.png

If I click 'skip' nothing happens and NCSDummy does not launch. If I click "Download and install this feature", I get the following screen:

http://i.imgur.com/RAQPCpvh.png

It stays like this for a while and eventually errors out with the following:

http://i.imgur.com/qwcYxyvh.png

I know my internet connection on the laptop is solid and its sitting right next to the router, so "unable to connect to the internet" seems like a BS error message.

Tried using 'compatibility mode - Windows XP' and its still the same. Windows 8 comes with a later version of .NET Framework, why does it need the older 3.5 version?

az3579
02-23-2017, 10:53 AM
On Windows 8 (Build 9600), I get the following when I double click on NCSDummy.exe

http://i.imgur.com/shU9NLNh.png

If I click 'skip' nothing happens and NCSDummy does not launch. If I click "Download and install this feature", I get the following screen:

http://i.imgur.com/RAQPCpvh.png

It stays like this for a while and eventually errors out with the following:

http://i.imgur.com/qwcYxyvh.png

I know my internet connection on the laptop is solid and its sitting right next to the router, so "unable to connect to the internet" seems like a BS error message.

Tried using 'compatibility mode - Windows XP' and its still the same. Windows 8 comes with a later version of .NET Framework, why does it need the older 3.5 version?

Sigh.
It looks like it's a similar same issue that plagues Server 2012; it can't seem to install .NET 3.5 as a feature when joined to a domain. I always have to forcefeed our servers the install by attaching the install media and running a PowerShell script to install the feature. Yours isn't exactly the same problem, but the solution should be the same:

If you have it, insert your Windows 8 media into the disc drive (or USB if you have it on that). Then, open up PowerShell as Administrator and use the following commands to install the feature:

Install-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core -Source D:\sources\sxs
(copy and paste to get the spacing right, it's hard to see because of the font)

Change D: to the drive letter where the install mediaresides.

Overboost
02-23-2017, 02:43 PM
NCS Dummy does require Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 so try downloading directly from Microsoft here. That's what I did and it did take a while but went through but both of my downloads were on XP OS. Try from this link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21

derbo
02-23-2017, 03:16 PM
NCS Dummy does require Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 so try downloading directly from Microsoft here. That's what I did and it did take a while but went through but both of my downloads were on XP OS. Try from this link.

Beat me to it.

NCSDummy needs to be used to create the extra lines. LCM will accept up to 7. You just make up parameters and edit the DATEN files for the .C37 module. Then code in. I added the names in german ;)

anandoc
02-23-2017, 04:14 PM
Sigh.
It looks like it's a similar same issue that plagues Server 2012; it can't seem to install .NET 3.5 as a feature when joined to a domain. I always have to forcefeed our servers the install by attaching the install media and running a PowerShell script to install the feature. Yours isn't exactly the same problem, but the solution should be the same:

If you have it, insert your Windows 8 media into the disc drive (or USB if you have it on that). Then, open up PowerShell as Administrator and use the following commands to install the feature:

Install-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core -Source D:\sources\sxs
(copy and paste to get the spacing right, it's hard to see because of the font)

Change D: to the drive letter where the install mediaresides.

Beat me to it.
NCSDummy needs to be used to create the extra lines. LCM will accept up to 7. You just make up parameters and edit the DATEN files for the .C37 module. Then code in. I added the names in german ;)

Thank you very much, gentlemen!!

I took BP's route but instead of using PowerShell, I used good old command prompt with the following command:

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

So that resolved the .NET Framework not installing on Windows 8 and now NCSDummy launches without any issues.

Since I have never used NCSDummy before, I need to familiarize myself with how it works and how to go about using it. Found a decent link here:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1553779-NCS-Dummy-Taking-the-expert-out-of-NCS-Expert

My understanding is that NCSDummy makes edits to the respective daten files (LCZ.C37 in this case) and from there I can use that parameter name within the FSW_PSW.MAN file to code directly through NCS Expert? Or am I completely wrong here?

Hopefully once I have figure this out, I can document the steps clearly in this thread so that others looking to code triple blink (with more than 3 blinks) on their 4.0 or 4.5 SW LCM can do so on their own. Thanks guys for all the help!

Overboost
02-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Thank you very much, gentlemen!!

I took BP's route but instead of using PowerShell, I used good old command prompt with the following command:

So that resolved the .NET Framework not installing on Windows 8 and now NCSDummy launches without any issues.

Since I have never used NCSDummy before, I need to familiarize myself with how it works and how to go about using it. Found a decent link here:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1553779-NCS-Dummy-Taking-the-expert-out-of-NCS-Expert

My understanding is that NCSDummy makes edits to the respective daten files (LCZ.C37 in this case) and from there I can use that parameter name within the FSW_PSW.MAN file to code directly through NCS Expert? Or am I completely wrong here?

Hopefully once I have figure this out, I can document the steps clearly in this thread so that others looking to code triple blink (with more than 3 blinks) on their 4.0 or 4.5 SW LCM can do so on their own. Thanks guys for all the help!

Connect your cable and launch NCS Expert.
Load profile expert
Press F1
Press F3 you should see your cars information
Press Back
Process ECU you shold see a list of modules in your car
Choose ALSV
Select change job
Select coderin lesen or read your ALSV module.
Select execute job. (MAKE SURE IT SAYS CODERIN LESEN)
This will place all the LSM info in a FSW_PSW.trc file within your NCS EXPER/Work directory.
Close your NCS Expert

Launch NCS Dummy
Select your E46 on top line
Select LSZ.37 on the middle line
Select Browse on the 3rd line and choose the directory above for the stored LSZ.C37 file you created with NCS Expert and select the FSW_PSW.trc file
This should be all your settings in your LSM.
Scroll down to CYCL_TI_BLK and you should see 2 choices einmal, driemal
Select driemal
Then at the bottom select export FSW_PSW then choose export FSW_PSW.MAN
The changes are now ready to be sent to you LSM.

Reopen your NCS EXPERT
Load profile expert
Press F1
Press F3 you should see your cars information
Press Back
Process ECU you should see a list of modules in your car
Choose ALSV
Make sure it says SG coderin
Select execute job.

You now have one touch 3 blinks

Message me if you want to go through it over the phone in realtime or we can do it together with TeamViewer

If you want more than 3 blinks, you have to create a new parameter in CYCL_TI_BLK

TerraPhantm gets all the credit here for these instructions:

Basically, open up the LSZ.C36 (if 4.0) or LSZ.C37 (4.5) file with NCS Dummy without loading any FSW_PSW files, go down to cycle_ti_blk, right click it, and click "add parameter". Name it whatever you want, and under data put the number of blinks you want (maximum is 7). Then click on module -> update module.

az3579
02-23-2017, 06:06 PM
You know, I already wrote up a document on how to add the parameters within NCS Dummy, with screenshots... and can't find it anywhere. :facepalm

derbo
02-23-2017, 06:21 PM
My m track mode diy has the NCS dummy portion that can relate to the custom parameters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anandoc
02-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Thanks BP, Derek and Overboost once again.

I understand the basics of how NCS Expert works: Read the module -> copy the TRC file into a MAN file -> Look up the keyword and make changes and save -> write back to the module.

However, with the NCS Dummy steps that you (or Terra) provided:

What I am unable to grasp is whether the NCS Dummy tool just updates the DATEN file on my computer or is it directly writing to the module? So basically if I follow the steps above and load up the LSZ.C37 file in NCS Dummy and add the parameter with the number of blinks (5), and hit "update module" - does that actually code the module? Or do I now have to load up NCS Expert and write to the module?

Does that make sense?

az3579
02-23-2017, 06:31 PM
So, by modifying the parameter in NCS Dummy, you are making changes to the DATEN files. Once you save the changes, you then go into NCS and code it, which is using the DATEN files that you modified.

BTW, it's always advised to make backups of your DATEN files before modifying them.

anandoc
02-23-2017, 06:41 PM
So, by modifying the parameter in NCS Dummy, you are making changes to the DATEN files. Once you save the changes, you then go into NCS and code it, which is using the DATEN files that you modified.

BTW, it's always advised to make backups of your DATEN files before modifying them.

Gotcha! This is kinda what I was hoping it would be.

So if I create a new parameter with NCS Dummy called "funfmal" and set the data to "5" and update the DATEN file, when I go to NCS Expert, do I now set CYCL_TI_BLK to 'funfmal' (as opposed to einmal and dreimal) in order to achieve the 5 blinks?

And yes, I intend to backup the DATEN files, although it seems NCS Dummy backs it up for you. There is no such thing as too many backups :)

Overboost
02-23-2017, 06:58 PM
So if I create a new parameter with NCS Dummy called "funfmal" and set the data to "5" and update the DATEN file, when I go to NCS Expert, do I now set CYCL_TI_BLK to 'funfmal' (as opposed to einmal and dreimal) in order to achieve the 5 blinks?

Precisely!

BTW, when you make a change in NCS Dummy to the Daten file, it automatically creates a backup in the Daten files directory. It even warns you as you save the modified Daten file that a backup will be created.

anandoc
02-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Precisely!

BTW, when you make a change in NCS Dummy to the Daten file, it automatically creates a backup in the Daten files directory. It even warns you as you save the modified Daten file that a backup will be created.

Thank you so much!! I will attempt this over the weekend and report back.

derbo
02-23-2017, 09:16 PM
Thank you so much!! I will attempt this over the weekend and report back.

FWIW, you can name it whatever you want. I wanted my parameters to be named like the default values of one time, 3 times. So I have 4 times, 5 times and 6 times in german.

anandoc
02-24-2017, 03:09 AM
FWIW, you can name it whatever you want. I wanted my parameters to be named like the default values of one time, 3 times. So I have 4 times, 5 times and 6 times in german.

Yup, I too want the naming to be consistent so I will go with funfmal (5 times).

Dual
02-24-2017, 09:25 AM
Looking at all of this from the outside, it seems like a real lot to go through. I wish I could activate this on my 2006, which will probably prove to have a higher software version, but I only have PASoft. The whole NCS Expert/Dummy dance: man... I'm gonna use my left hand.

derbo
02-24-2017, 11:35 AM
Looking at all of this from the outside, it seems like a real lot to go through. I wish I could activate this on my 2006, which will probably prove to have a higher software version, but I only have PASoft. The whole NCS Expert/Dummy dance: man... I'm gonna use my left hand.

It's not a lot of work. After you get going with NCSexpert you can do alot other things too. :)

Overboost
02-24-2017, 05:33 PM

NCS Expert is just one of those tools every BMW owner should have just as you found with PA Soft. There are many of us here that are willing to lend you a hand.

derbo
02-24-2017, 09:12 PM
NCS Expert is just one of those tools every BMW owner should have just as you found with PA Soft. There are many of us here that are willing to lend you a hand.

BMW coding tool makes a nice GUI as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overboost
02-25-2017, 05:59 AM
BMW Coding Tool made updating/adding my Daten files for WinKFP a snap. Absolutely a great tool.

anandoc
02-25-2017, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all your help here guys. I just coded 5 blinks into my car :)

Overboost
02-25-2017, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all your help here guys. I just coded 5 blinks into my car :)

Well done! I found 5 blinks is perfect for my driving style.

anandoc
02-25-2017, 04:37 PM

Yup, same. 3 blinks is too few and anything more than 5 is too many.

NorCalZman
02-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Yup, same. 3 blinks is too few and anything more than 5 is too many.

Agreed. If I had the ability to change my 3 to 5 blink I would definitely do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

derbo
02-25-2017, 08:37 PM

It was weird at first, but now funfmal seems to be the best option :)

derbo
02-27-2017, 10:49 AM
For anyone who doesn't want to deal with the add parameter portion and just use ncsexpert,

I've added my modified C37 DATEN file. (BACKUP YOUR C37 first!!)

Install it into NCSEXPER/DATEN/

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7v3GL7aAztPWVROejNoLWtxakk

terraphantm
03-01-2017, 09:18 PM
I think they'd also need your SWTPSW06.DAT file

Overboost
03-08-2017, 04:47 PM
I tried to figure out a way to enable the triple blink on my X5 with no success. However, I did find a iBus module out of Bulgaria that made it work on my X5. The device is called modLight2 and has some interesting functions besides the triple blink. Some of the lock and unlock commands are funny to watch. Terra have you seen this module?

https://youtu.be/gZB_rP3emkw

https://youtu.be/bMMHguuhZYw

az3579
03-08-2017, 05:19 PM
Oh man, that unlock lightshow is going to murder your Xenons! Really neat module though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Overboost
03-08-2017, 05:27 PM
Oh man, that unlock lightshow is going to murder your Xenons! Really neat module though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeah, it is more bling than functionality. That is set to pattern 3 and pattern 1 only flashes turns, fogs and halos. Once the circus leaves town, I will change them to something more realistic. Funny to watch though. :rofl

az3579
03-08-2017, 05:33 PM
A little off topic... but did you change your bumper?? I specifically remember seeing the vanilla 325 front bumper in your sig...

Overboost
03-08-2017, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I finally made the move to M Tech II and used the ZHP side skirts. Just finishing it up this week. The Hamann look was so 90's...

az3579
03-09-2017, 03:29 AM
Nice to see a proper conversion. So many people leave out the side skirts. :thumbsup

nextelbuddy
03-09-2017, 11:50 AM
very beautiful, I love AW and great conversion.

Overboost
03-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Nice to see a proper conversion. So many people leave out the side skirts. :thumbsup

very beautiful, I love AW and great conversion.

Thanks guys. This will have to do until I can get a real ZHP.

nextelbuddy
03-10-2017, 05:36 AM
was your sharkfin OEM or did you retrofit it?

Overboost
03-11-2017, 05:48 AM
was your sharkfin OEM or did you retrofit it?

I retrofitted it nextelbuddy. The sharkfin is OEM but it is the antenna for the BMW assist that I do not have so it is not connected. The cable is routed correctly and ends up in the left side trunk area. I used to be Alpine White like my roof but wrapped it when I wrapped the roof.

az3579
03-11-2017, 07:31 AM
I retrofitted it nextelbuddy. The sharkfin is OEM but it is the antenna for the BMW assist that I do not have so it is not connected. The cable is routed correctly and ends up in the left side trunk area. I used to be Alpine White like my roof but wrapped it when I wrapped the roof.

What did you retrofit the shark fin for? I was hoping to do a shark fin retrofit and have it house a regular antenna I can use for the radio. This "antenna in the glass" thing is really irking me because my radio is next to useless due to a short in the glass. I don't feel like replacing my rear glass just for that...

Overboost
03-12-2017, 02:52 PM
What did you retrofit the shark fin for? I was hoping to do a shark fin retrofit and have it house a regular antenna I can use for the radio. This "antenna in the glass" thing is really irking me because my radio is next to useless due to a short in the glass. I don't feel like replacing my rear glass just for that...

I have read some have used the shark fin for the mounting the GPS antenna in it but I guess one could mount any antenna inside as long as it fits. My retrofit was simply cosmetic.

nextelbuddy
03-12-2017, 04:25 PM

so you have to cut a hole in your roof for the cable right? how does the sharkfin attach? adhesive? magnet?

Overboost
03-12-2017, 05:28 PM
so you have to cut a hole in your roof for the cable right? how does the sharkfin attach? adhesive? magnet?

No cutting or drilling. The cable runs down the lip of the rear window rubber. The fin attaches right at the edge of the roof/rear window line. You can lift the lip of the seal and see the space the wire runs down and around the left side of the rear glass and through the hinge area, (you should see a small grommet there) the cable is about 3mm thick. The fin is attached by an adhesive tape that comes with it. Literally a "lick it and stick it". I can take some pics if you need, glad to help.

az3579
03-13-2017, 02:39 AM
No cutting or drilling. The cable runs down the lip of the rear window rubber. The fin attaches right at the edge of the roof/rear window line. You can lift the lip of the seal and see the space the wire runs down and around the left side of the rear glass and through the hinge area, (you should see a small grommet there) the cable is about 3mm thick. The fin is attached by an adhesive tape that comes with it. Literally a "lick it and stick it". I can take some pics if you need, glad to help.

Is that the OE method of doing it? I always thought there was a hole there on cars that had it from the factory.

anandoc
03-13-2017, 03:12 AM
How did this thread about enabling triple-blink turn into installing shark-fins etc? LOL

terraphantm
03-13-2017, 03:39 AM
Is that the OE method of doing it? I always thought there was a hole there on cars that had it from the factory.

Nah, my M3 which had one from the factory just had the wire run along the rear window molding.

Overboost
03-13-2017, 05:22 AM
How did this thread about enabling triple-blink turn into installing shark-fins etc? LOL

You are right, it has wandered far from triple blink. My apologies. I just like hanging with you guys...

nextelbuddy
03-13-2017, 07:05 AM

That's my fault lol i should get just pmd him about it. Sorry!

anandoc
03-13-2017, 08:22 AM
You are right, it has wandered far from triple blink. My apologies. I just like hanging with you guys...

That's my fault lol i should get just pmd him about it. Sorry!

No worries guys! I just found it hilarious!!

ELCID86
03-13-2017, 03:48 PM
I have a shark fin for sale (black) if anyone needs it.