PDA

View Full Version : The new Continental ExtremeContact Sport

Rovert
03-17-2017, 09:39 PM
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/4456/TESTED-Continental-Tire-ExtremeContact-Sport.aspx

https://photos.smugmug.com/MotoIQ/Admin/MotoIQcom-Cover-Images/n-GbjNMR/i-9LSjXJJ/0/O/i-9LSjXJJ.jpg

Looks like we have a much more worthy contender to the PSS compared to the older DW model.

BMWCurves
03-18-2017, 04:24 AM
Interesting. So now they've matched the Michelin PSS, just in time for Michelin to have their PS4Ss to come to market.

ELCID86
03-18-2017, 06:48 AM
Competition is always good.

BMWM3186
03-18-2017, 06:53 AM
I wonder how these compare to the DWS 06s in price, lifespan, and performance.

Rovert
03-18-2017, 11:14 AM
DWS is a totally different class compared to these new ExtremeContact Sports.

The only thing the DWS will be better at is snow and winter weather. The ExtremeContact Sport will feel so much better than any high performance all season tire in the dry or wet.

I ran with DWS on my M3 for a year and then to PSS. There is no similarity other than they're both black and roll over the ground. Haha

holyc0w
03-19-2017, 07:17 AM
I'm liking the look of these. Price isn't bad either. Too bad my DW's are still fresh.

az3579
03-19-2017, 07:40 AM
Interesting. So now they've matched the Michelin PSS, just in time for Michelin to have their PS4Ss to come to market.

Which apparently isn't being made in less than 19" sizes at the moment as far as general selection goes. :shifty
Tire Rack's site shows the only 18" they have is 245/40-18. LAME. A quick search revealed that our sizes may not be available. I really hope this changes in the future...

NorCalZman
03-19-2017, 07:45 AM
In the magazine article I read about the PS4S it stated it would take them through most of 2017 to roll out most of the sizes to replace the PSS. Glad my PSS are still relatively new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BMWCurves
03-19-2017, 11:04 AM
I'm liking the look of these. Price isn't bad either. Too bad my DW's are still fresh.

+1. I've only got a few thousand miles on mine.

Which apparently isn't being made in less than 19" sizes at the moment as far as general selection goes. :shifty
Tire Rack's site shows the only 18" they have is 245/40-18. LAME. A quick search revealed that our sizes may not be available. I really hope this changes in the future...

In the magazine article I read about the PS4S it stated it would take them through most of 2017 to roll out most of the sizes to replace the PSS. Glad my PSS are still relatively new!

Huh, I didn't think there'd be a shortage on sizes, but it makes sense though.

Vas
03-22-2019, 04:58 PM
While I highly enjoyed my set of these tires, I will not be buying a second set.

Usually with the square setup on the zhp, I was able to replace the rear tires twice and keep the front tires. But the issue is that as the tires wear down they have become really noisy. The rear tires are at the wear indicators and the front are halfway worn. The letter that say DW are gone on the rear and the front say D ( this is a wear indicator from the manufacturer of the tires ).

So the only logical option is to replace all 4 of them. And at the price point they are the new Michelin pilot sport 4s are not that much more expensive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

fredo
03-22-2019, 05:02 PM
How many miles did you put on this set ?

GotZHP
03-22-2019, 05:17 PM
How many miles did you put on this set ?

+1

I need to get tires for the Fiesta ST and the ZHP will need new ones at the end of summer most likely.

Vas
03-22-2019, 05:29 PM
How many miles did you put on this set ?Roughly 21k on the set.

I just wish the front tires would not be as noisy since they probably have another 5-7k life left in them.

GotZHP
03-22-2019, 06:04 PM
Roughly 21k on the set.

I just wish the front tires would not be as noisy since they probably have another 5-7k life left in them.

Damn but under 30K total still. Im trying to find a tire that will last around that long. SO far, avg on the FiST is about 20K set to be worn bald! Always high performance summer tires tho cuz the weather hear is real nice and very consistant

Vas
03-22-2019, 07:00 PM
Damn but under 30K total still. Im trying to find a tire that will last around that long. SO far, avg on the FiST is about 20K set to be worn bald! Always high performance summer tires tho cuz the weather hear is real nice and very consistantMichelin promises 30k.

GotZHP
03-22-2019, 07:13 PM
Michelin promises 30k.

I should maybe consider some Michelins as the next set. I've had two sets of Bridgestone RE050A which was the stock tire. After burning through one set in 17k miles and the other in around 20K, I opted for BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2s which again got around 20K miles. The FiST just chews up tires and front brake pads

fredo
03-22-2019, 07:35 PM
I have Michelin Primacy on the F30. The set has 7k miles and tire depth is 8/32 all around. Not sure the ZHP size is available on Primacy, the F30 is 225/45 R18 square. I'm very happy with those, I had them on the Saab as well.

John in VA
03-22-2019, 07:49 PM
Michelin Primacy is a Grand Touring all-season tire, not really a performance model.

fredo
03-22-2019, 07:59 PM
Valid point, we can't compare apples to oranges. My main goal is to maximize tire life. I don't track or autocross my car.

John in VA
03-23-2019, 04:54 AM
Valid point, we can't compare apples to oranges. My main goal is to maximize tire life.
Me, too, on some of the cars. Sounds like Vas & GotZHP were considering something more towards the performance end. I have Primacys on the E28 that my boys drove & they've work great.

GotZHP
03-26-2019, 11:49 AM
Valid point, we can't compare apples to oranges. My main goal is to maximize tire life. I don't track or autocross my car.

This is going to be a much bigger factor in buying tires this time around, and cost. Last time was performance first, cost second. Plus its my GFs, and while she drives spiritedly, no track or autocross in the future. I am currently considering these Toyo Extensa HP II as an option but ma very unsure:

https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/toyo/extensa-hp-ii/p/TV190002948

GotZHP
03-26-2019, 11:54 AM
Me, too, on some of the cars. Sounds like Vas & GotZHP were considering something more towards the performance end. I have Primacys on the E28 that my boys drove & they've work great.

I think im just going to buy Firestone Fire Hawk Indy 500s for the rear of my car as that is what is on the front and they are fairly new. I've had horrible luck with tires on the ZHP so far. Hit a metal grate on the highway (great design guys, really, like metal grates on a highway, come on) and almost shredded my rear driver side tire two days before leaving for a vacation in France. Wanted a cheap replacement so I got Barum 3HPs.

A little while later, hit a huge pothole on another Cali highway and put a bubble in the driver's front tire. Replaced with the Firehawk Indy 500s because that's what I could get on the car on a Saturday 350 miles away from my home. I actually really like these tires considering and want a matching set.

racer2086
03-27-2019, 03:51 AM
I have the Firehawk Indy 500s on the E38 and E39 and they are great tires for the price. Will probably put them on the ZHP when its time. They are quiet on the E38, but can be loud at very certain speeds on the E39. I hear tire noise coasting at like 23mph, but quiet otherwise.