PDA

View Full Version : Work trip to MD: 650+ miles drive on the ZHP

edwin.colo
03-20-2017, 06:04 PM
So I'm going to be going to California, MD next week for training.

All the maintenance is up to date on the car (cooling, fuel pump, oils/filters, tires etc) but I want to be prepared.

What do you guys recommend I bring just in case?? Parts and/or tools?

Currently have a quart of oil and a tire compressor on the car haha.

Leaving Sunday so got a week to get everything sorted.

Thanks for any and all input.

Pic of the ZHP. [emoji1320]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170321/a6d621ed7dc9f835baffb3beb0d18236.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slater
03-20-2017, 06:11 PM
good thinking on the compressor. i carry one, a roll of shop towels, a big garbage bag (you never know), and a small toolkit on any trip longer than 2hrs.

i also have a CAA (AAA up here) membership which has been invaluable over the last 8-9 years.

Lorenzo
03-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Sharp looking ZHP !!

Vas
03-20-2017, 06:27 PM
Just get in and drive. And share the experience

BMWCurves
03-20-2017, 06:56 PM
To add to Peter's list, some other items you might consider:
- Headlamp and/or a flashlight of some sort.
- Zip ties
- Work/mechanic's gloves
- At least two pens and a pad of paper.
- Belts if yours are old.
- Small first aid kit
- Jumper cables

holyc0w
03-20-2017, 07:02 PM
Another quart of oil if your car is thirsty and a baseball bat

edwin.colo
03-20-2017, 07:14 PM
Haha thanks guys for all the recommendations. Definitely taking a small tool bag.

Do not know why the baseball bat (personal defense??) but I am definitely taking one now lol.

3ZHPGUY
03-20-2017, 07:28 PM
You should be OK with nothing special. I've had 4 E46's with probably over 250K and only had one fail on the road, with a bad water pump. And it's not particle to pack for that.

Just have a safe drive and enjoy the ride!

san
03-20-2017, 07:47 PM
Make sure the spare tire is well inflated and is good to go in case you need it. Also check the coolant level before you set off. Honestly 650 miles isn't much, during summer I drive my car for about 700 miles pretty much every weekend...

330blast
03-20-2017, 10:53 PM
Beautiful ZHP. Best color combo (Black/NB).

Enjoy your trip!!

ZHPizza
03-21-2017, 04:51 AM
Do you have your towel?

edwin.colo
03-21-2017, 04:55 AM
Beautiful ZHP. Best color combo (Black/NB).

Enjoy your trip!!

Thanks, at first it wasn't the color combo I was looking for but I've grown to love it more everyday.

Do you have your towel?

Wait, what??
I'm gonna go with yes..? Lol

ZHPizza
03-21-2017, 05:13 AM
Wait, what??
I'm gonna go with yes..? Lol

“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”

NoVAphotog
03-21-2017, 05:23 AM
Just get in and drive. And share the experience

+1

slater
03-21-2017, 06:07 AM
To add to Peter's list, some other items you might consider:
- Headlamp and/or a flashlight of some sort.
- Zip ties
- Work/mechanic's gloves
- At least two pens and a pad of paper.
- Belts if yours are old.
- Small first aid kit
- Jumper cables

good thinking. except for the belts. if yours are old, just change them beforehand. ;)

i keep all of that stuff in the car all the time, except the jumper cables and the pad of paper. and dude... the car comes with a flashlight already. ;)

Another quart of oil if your car is thirsty and a baseball bat

baseball bat?

i'm grateful to live where i do. all i need is my guns.

“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”

LOL.

edwin.colo
03-21-2017, 06:15 AM

Haha that works for me.

BMWCurves
03-21-2017, 06:49 AM
good thinking. except for the belts. if yours are old, just change them beforehand. ;)

i keep all of that stuff in the car all the time, except the jumper cables and the pad of paper. and dude... the car comes with a flashlight already. ;)

I think calling the gadget in the glove box a "flashlight" is being generous. A candle throws more light than those things. About as effective as a damp match in a dark cave.

slater
03-21-2017, 07:33 AM
I think calling the gadget in the glove box a "flashlight" is being generous. A candle throws more light than those things. About as effective as a damp match in a dark cave.

you haven't retrofitted a super-bright LED into that thing yet? ;)

BMWCurves
03-21-2017, 08:07 AM

The thought hadn't even crossed my mind :facepalm

But for now my old LED headlamp will do just fine.

ELCID86
03-21-2017, 04:05 PM
Nice area. I'm about 1.5 hours from there. Been to Pax River and Solomon island a few times. Safe travels.

edwin.colo
03-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Nice area. I'm about 1.5 hours from there. Been to Pax River and Solomon island a few times. Safe travels.

Awesome... yeah, I'll be around Pax.. my work HQ is there.
Well, if I run into any car issues now I know who to bother lol.

brettbimmer
03-21-2017, 05:05 PM

Might want to bring some spare BMW coolant as well. They sell it in convenient quart sized bottles, and they fit well into the $4.95 zippered BMW oil bags which Velcro to the trunk side liner. Always helpful to have in the car since it's not for sale in California, MD haha!

Also what about a tire gauge? Good to keep in the glove box full-time.

Disposable gloves - easier than trying to find a sink to wash up on the road.

I'm 44 miles miles(56 mins) north in Deale, MD...and have been a BMW addict for many moons. Let me know if you have any trouble or are bored and want some ZHP company. Safe travels.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

edwin.colo
03-21-2017, 05:09 PM
Might want to bring some spare BMW coolant as well. They sell it in convenient quart sized bottles, and they fit well into the $4.95 zippered BMW oil bags which Velcro to the trunk side liner. Always helpful to have in the car since it's not for sale in California, MD haha!

Also what about a tire gauge? Good to keep in the glove box full-time.

Disposable gloves - easier than trying to find a sink to wash up on the road.

I'm 44 miles miles(56 mins) north in Deale, MD...and have been a BMW addict for many moons. Let me know if you have any trouble or are bored and want some ZHP company. Safe travels.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Thanks man... hopefully it will be a trouble free week.

ELCID86
03-21-2017, 05:33 PM

If you have some time one weekend day, we should put together a little drive!

edwin.colo
03-22-2017, 08:26 PM
If you have some time one weekend day, we should put together a little drive!

Man, I would but I'll be there Sunday night and will be back driving Friday afternoon.
Thanks for the offer though.

ELCID86
03-23-2017, 12:47 PM
Man, I would but I'll be there Sunday night and will be back driving Friday afternoon.
Thanks for the offer though.

NP. Not sure of your route but I'm right off I95 in VA, exits 143/140 just south of Quantico. And be warned about Friday afternoon traffic. It's a bear around here no matter which way your headed!

bimmergofast
03-23-2017, 12:55 PM

Wait, how is this not a stickied diy!? Didn't even occur to me!

edwin.colo
03-27-2017, 02:51 AM
Well, made it to MD without any major issues. Man I love my zhp. Lol.

Only issue is I got lean codes (P0174/P0171) half way to MD. I've been dealing with these codes for a couple of months. Replaced fuel pump and that "fixed" it for a while. I think it's time for new O2 sensors.

ZHPizza
03-27-2017, 04:26 AM
Well, made it to MD without any major issues. Man I love my zhp. Lol.

Only issue is I got lean codes (P0174/P0171) half way to MD. I've been dealing with these codes for a couple of months. Replaced fuel pump and that "fixed" it for a while. I think it's time for new O2 sensors.
I'd put my money one of the dozen common vacuum leaks for those lean codes.

edwin.colo
03-27-2017, 05:10 AM

From what I've research it would be vacuum leak if it the codes happened at idle. My car idles great. But I'll look into it though.

ELCID86
03-31-2017, 04:28 PM

Yep. Check dem boots.

edwin.colo
03-31-2017, 04:44 PM
Yep. Check dem boots.

There a year old, both of them. I'll be getting home tomorrow so will look around. Will probably have to do a smoke test because if something is torn it's got to be small and barely noticeable.

ELCID86
04-01-2017, 08:29 AM
There a year old, both of them. I'll be getting home tomorrow so will look around. Will probably have to do a smoke test because if something is torn it's got to be small and barely noticeable.

Yep. Probably right. My smoker is out on lone or I'd offer it to you. There are so many small rubber hoses...

Sockethead
04-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Check both ends of the vacuum line that goes to the fuel filter. That's often overlooked.

Shawn, I'm hoping to smoke test the car this weekend. My back has been slow to heal but I think I'm good now.

ELCID86
04-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Check both ends of the vacuum line that goes to the fuel filter. That's often overlooked.

Shawn, I'm hoping to smoke test the car this weekend. My back has been slow to heal but I think I'm good now.

Glad you are feeling better. Hope it's the road to full recovery. No rush. I'll be down there in a few weeks for Nolan's graduation if you want to drop it off in Mt. P.

Sockethead
04-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Sounds good.

edwin.colo
04-01-2017, 04:45 PM
Sooo, made it home today with no car problems... car is driving great.

Bad news though. Got a speeding ticket on VA on I-95 about 5 miles from NC.. [emoji35][emoji36]
Literally the only couple of miles I was actually going substantially over limit (more than 5 over) just to pass people and there he caught me at 85mph.

For those VA guys, how much am I going to expect to pay?

I won't be able to make it to the court date so I'll be calling to them to get it taken care off.

John in VA
04-01-2017, 05:03 PM
20 mph or more over the speed limit is reckless driving here, and is best handled with a local lawyer familiar with the local judge.

edwin.colo
04-01-2017, 05:14 PM
20 mph or more over the speed limit is reckless driving here, and is best handled with a local lawyer familiar with the local judge.

[emoji47], well the ticket is for 15 over.

BCS_ZHP
04-01-2017, 05:19 PM
In VA, anything over 80 mph is considered speeding AND reckless driving, you're likely going to need a lawyer to get this reduced to just speeding.

John in VA
04-01-2017, 05:22 PM
...well the ticket is for 15 over.
You might have saved yourself a lot of trouble & expense, but Bruce may have more recent intel. Usually there is a phone number for the city/town/county where you were nabbed that gives you the cost of the ticket based on miles over the limit, plus court costs. It's been awhile since I was stopped - VA is big on collecting high-speed driving taxes!

BCS_ZHP
04-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Its been many moons (thankfully) for me to but I have sons that drive, each has been in a similar situation. A $500 lawyer charge gets it reduced to just speeding. The reckless charge doesn't even have to be mentioned on the ticket, the judge can impose it just because the law allows him to. And if he wants to, he will.

edwin.colo
04-01-2017, 05:35 PM
You might have saved yourself a lot of trouble & expense, but Bruce may have more recent intel. Usually there is a phone number for the city/town/county where you were nabbed that gives you the cost of the ticket based on miles over the limit, plus court costs. It's been awhile since I was stopped - VA is big on collecting high-speed driving taxes!

The cop told me about the number where I can call to just pay the ticket. I asked him specifically because I'm from NC and didn't want to drive. I'll call the number and depending on that I'll get a lawyer or not. [emoji17][emoji17]

ELCID86
04-02-2017, 06:40 AM
In VA, anything over 80 mph is considered speeding AND reckless driving, you're likely going to need a lawyer to get this reduced to just speeding.

True. And VA has started putting up large signs reminding would-be offenders.

You will probably start getting cards and letters from attorneys...worth a call to a few and get their take. A preemptive drivers education class is worth doing and perhaps it gets reduced and only the fine/fees, etc.

edwin.colo
04-02-2017, 09:43 AM
True. And VA has started putting up large signs reminding would-be offenders.

You will probably start getting cards and letters from attorneys...worth a call to a few and get their take. A preemptive drivers education class is worth doing and perhaps it gets reduced and only the fine/fees, etc.

Damn, I thought just calling the number and paying the fine would get this taken care of. [emoji849], just one more thing I don't got time for. [emoji30]

ELCID86
04-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Damn, I thought just calling the number and paying the fine would get this taken care of. [emoji849], just one more thing I don't got time for. [emoji30]

It might for an out of state driver. I really don't know. Be sure to ask when you call the court clerk.