PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have stock HK Speaker Upgrade options and reviews for sedan?

jonnyd330
03-24-2017, 06:52 AM
I am currently looking at doing some upgrades to my sedan's sound system since I suspect there are a few speakers with torn woofers. I was wondering what people did to their ZHP's? I plan on keeping the head unit and amps all stock so I am really just looking at speaker upgrades. There are a number of options out there with the big name being Bav Sound. I found a number of different routes some folks went with a quick google search from the various e46 forums.

The options I have seen so far were:
1. Bav Sound
2. Speakers and adapters from crutchfield, parts express or some other retailer
3. Kit created by a forum member from e46f, consisting of parts express dayton audio speakers, http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-Series-E46-Harman-Kardon-Speaker-Upgrade-Complete-12-speaker-Solution-/281103676824 & https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1947800-Harman-Kardon-Sub-Replacement-and-Upgrade-(E46)
4. Just replace busted speakers with stock replacements.

One upgrade I am trying to figure out is how to get better bass from the stock sub's. I have found some solutions to get 6.5" woofers with a 6x9 adapter but I am unsure of the wiring and specs of the stock sub amp. The kit the one person created mentioned the stock amp runs at 2 ohms which if it is the case would need to wire the subs in a particular way to reproduce.

A pic from the guy's kit.

ELCID86
03-24-2017, 10:18 AM
I have BSW/BAVSOUND. Minor improvement (and I've now developed a rattle in the driver's side mid :-( )
EBay kit looks interesting (I still can't believe he laid all that stuff on his M3 boot lid for the pic). In for the discussion!

wertyu78
03-24-2017, 10:23 AM
Option number two is the way I'd go, and if I weren't slowly turning my ZHP into a track rat, they way I would go - the next daily driver will go this route. Parts Express has a ton of great options - just be sure to get stuff that is OHM'd correctly, and if you don't mind the minor fab/modification work needed, then you'll be good to go.

TLL0003
03-25-2017, 05:59 AM
I'm about to need to upgrade my speakers as well. I haven't looked into anything other than Bavsound. Interested to hear what some other options are

UdubBadger
03-25-2017, 02:02 PM
So what I did was go with Polk Audio mid bass 2 way speakers, and then just did the BSW tweeter upgrade.

Cheaper than all BSW and got better bass response out of the mids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sockethead
03-25-2017, 04:50 PM
I've had the BSW speaker upgrade for about 5 years. while the kit definitely seems to be a quality product, the difference is marginal. Every time I get into the ZHP from our '08 MDX and turn on the radio, I'm disappointed. The MDX system is so much better. I think if the kit included subwoofers, it might be a little better but definitely not worth the premium price IMO.

I'd like to find a set of those subwoofer adapters.... I'm pretty sure the stock subwoofers are some weird size and not 6X9

UdubBadger
03-25-2017, 05:01 PM
Just buy an infinity basslink, best $150 you'll spend on the audio

fredo
03-25-2017, 05:15 PM
LOL ... I just noticed Seth's new sig: Fancy Civic. :rofl Back to topic discussion.

UdubBadger
03-26-2017, 07:19 AM
Haha thanks, help me sell the damn thing and pick up a zhp!

Sockethead
03-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Just buy an infinity basslink, best $150 you'll spend on the audio

I've seen them around forever. Sounds like a plan

Bludsport
04-09-2017, 03:55 PM
I'm in the middle of an audio refresh for my car too. The HK system bites, it's got absolutely no low end or high end, it's all sort of a muddy in the middle sound. It's taken me some time to wade through all the various E46 audio forums, audio installation forums, audio equipment sites, and talking with a few good installers, to figure things out, but there are alternative and better solutions available rather than the Bavsound route for about the same amount of money.

I am by no means any sort of audiophile, but after listening the HK setup for a while, the majority of the sound seems to be produced by the two 6.5" woofers located in the bottom of the front doors. The two 5.25" midrange speakers located in the rear passenger provide the next layer of fill, with the remaining fill coming from the two front midrange speakers and four tweeters located front and rear. With this in mind, and based on what others have done who know a lot more about this stuff than I do, the best and most logical solution seems to be replacing the two front door woofers and rear subwoofer with quality after market speakers being driven by a quality after market 5 channel amp. The OEM HK amp is retained and used to drive the smaller midrange speakers and tweeters. It makes for a lot of splicing and dicing, but in the end is what appears to be a viable and affordable solution.

Based on what I could dig up, the OEM HK amp is a true 10 channel amp sending separate signals to each of the 10 speakers in the car. The HK amp delivers a separate and actively crossed-over signal to each of the ten speakers. There are no passive crossovers anywhere. The concept and engineering behind the HK system is really amazing, but somehow it falls short of creating what should have been an incredible listening experience. I blame this on the BMW engineers who are constantly looking for ways to reduce weight while maximizing interior space and comfort, the speakers used in this system are all extremely light weight and are shoved into very shallow and tiny spaces which don't allow enough depth to accommodate an efficient speaker. Consequently, when most E46 owners choose to upgrade their HK system, they usually become frustrated when they discover the lack of quality after market speakers that will fit in these little nooks. This is where Bavsound (BSW) comes in. BSW discovered this niche and they've done some excellent marketing and in doing so, has created somewhat of a monopoly when it comes to down to your options for an audio "upgrade". IMO, the Bavsound route is really more of a compromise than a solution.

For the two front door woofers, I got a great deal on a pair of 5.25 Focal K2 Power 130KRC from Crutchfield for $399.00, which usually retail for around $750.
I went with a 5.25" speaker, because I couldn't find a quality OEM sized 6.5" speaker that would fit. The Focal's from Crutchfield come with a pair of free adapter plates which allow the proper fit.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091130KRC/Focal-K2-Power-130KRC.html?tp=105

I didn't want to do a bunch of work in the rear ski pass area trying to custom install a sub, so I opted for an enclosed sub made by Pioneer for $111.00 from BestBuy. It's perfectly sized and will attach directly to the trunk side of the rear passenger seat wall. All you have to do is remove the existing OEM sub and plastic door, then attach it with the brackets supplied by Pioneer, or make your own brackets out of 1" aluminum angle from Home Depot, which is what I'm going to do. I'm doing this because the brackets supplied by Pioneer are a little flimsy and I'm worried about the sub rattling around. I'm also going to use some 1" adhesive backed rubber foam to isolate the brackets from the rear seat wall.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-8-single-voice-coil-4-ohm-subwoofer-black/5588607.p?skuId=5588607

I'm not sure about the 5 channel amp yet, but have two in mind:

1. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530PN5640D/Soundstream-Picasso-Nano-PN5-640D.html?tp=35808

2. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500PDRV75/Alpine-PDR-V75.html?tp=35808

The Soundstream amp is affordable and seems adequate, but the Alpine would be my first choice if it wasn't for the price tag, so I'm still looking.

You'll also need a 5 channel line out converter. I couldn't find a 5 channel, only a 6. Anyway, they're easy to find and run between 100 to 150 bucks for a decent one.

ELCID86
04-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Please write up your install with lots of pics!

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

wertyu78
04-11-2017, 05:04 AM
Please write up your install with lots of pics!

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

Ditto!

Bludsport
04-11-2017, 07:14 PM
Definitely will, but I have to tell you guys that I really...really...hate audio installation. Crunching and contorting myself in the trunk and rear seat areas is not my idea of a good time. I'll have some updates and photos soon.

ELCID86
04-12-2017, 02:02 AM
Definitely will, but I have to tell you guys that I really...really...hate audio installation. Crunching and contorting myself in the trunk and rear seat areas is not my idea of a good time. I'll have some updates and photos soon.

Is custom install an option?

Bludsport
04-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Is custom install an option?

Well...it definitely is now.

Today I removed the drivers side trunk carpet panel to get access to the HK amp only to discover that it had been removed. The factory build sheet for my car indicates that the full HK system was a factory option on my car, but at some point someone removed the HK amp. No wonder my systems sounded so bleak. :wub

The dealer's ad posted online stated that the "HK Sound System" was one of the options included with the car, so I just sent him an email asking him how he plans to compensate me for the $1,350 missing amp. I told him I don't have to have a new HK amp and that I'd be willing to settle for a comparable after market replacement. Today, a comparable 10 channel amp with balanced inputs would actually cost more than the original HK amp. So I guess I'll just have to sit back for now and see how the dealer responds.

Besides the new front door speakers I bought, the remaining speakers are now entirely useless without the HK amp, so I'll have to replace all of them as well.
I removed the radio, navigation and bluetooth modules from the car today and tomorrow I'm going to remove the all the existing speakers as well as the factory wiring harness for all this crap. I'll replace the wiring with simple speaker wires and RCA cables running from the dash back to a new amp. I'm not sure about what rear speakers I'll use yet. After a long conversation with the owner of the company that reps the E46 Dynavin head units, I'm going to ditch this idea as well and look instead for a good CarPlay double din unit like Clarion, Pioneer or Kenwood.

So much for the affordable solution...ha!

edwin.colo
04-13-2017, 05:55 PM
Well...it definitely is now.

Today I removed the drivers side trunk carpet panel to get access to the HK amp only to discover that it had been removed. The factory build sheet for my car indicates that the full HK system was a factory option on my car, but at some point someone removed the HK amp. No wonder my systems sounded so bleak. :wub

The dealer's ad posted online stated that the "HK Sound System" was one of the options included with the car, so I just sent him an email asking him how he plans to compensate me for the $1,350 missing amp. I told him I don't have to have a new HK amp and that I'd be willing to settle for a comparable after market replacement. Today, a comparable 10 channel amp with balanced inputs would actually cost more than the original HK amp. So I guess I'll just have to sit back for now and see how the dealer responds.

Besides the new front door speakers I bought, the remaining speakers are now entirely useless without the HK amp, so I'll have to replace all of them as well.
I removed the radio, navigation and bluetooth modules from the car today and tomorrow I'm going to remove the all the existing speakers as well as the factory wiring harness for all this crap. I'll replace the wiring with simple speaker wires and RCA cables running from the dash back to a new amp. I'm not sure about what rear speakers I'll use yet. After a long conversation with the owner of the company that reps the E46 Dynavin head units, I'm going to ditch this idea as well and look instead for a good CarPlay double din unit like Clarion, Pioneer or Kenwood.

So much for the affordable solution...ha!

Check out this unit...

promising new CarPlayo/Android Auto unit from Sony coming - $499

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=14392&share_tid=18810&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ezhpmafia%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fs howthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D18810&share_type=t

If I had not just received a reckless driving ticket in VA I would be buying it. Looks like a really nice head unit.

ELCID86
04-14-2017, 12:34 PM
Yeah that HU does hold promise.

Bludsport
04-15-2017, 09:37 AM
Finally finished my audio install :roundel

HA! Just messing with ya's!

Check out this guys E46 on diymobileaudio's site:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/30321-one-badassed-bmw-330-a.html

cakM3
04-15-2017, 10:55 AM
I had Kyle (static667) upgrade my stereo amps and speakers in my M3 a few years back and some forum members got to hear it at one of the reunion meets when Dane had it at his place in VA.

We used Rockford Fosgate Speakers for the in-cabin speakers and an Alpine Subwoofer. The Amps Kyle chose for my install were Rockford Fosgate amps and an MB Quart amp for my subs. My requirement for the install was that everything had to look stock with exception of the subwoofer enclosure in the trunk. Sound quality is amazing. Kyle is the man to see regarding BMW stereo installs :thumbsup

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk Pro

Bludsport
04-22-2017, 01:02 PM
The RF and Alpine stuff is great. I originally was going to use an Alpine 5 channel amp, but suddenly things took and different course and everything just started to evolve on it's own.

My bad on telling everyone that my car was missing the Harman Kardon amp...I found it! Researching this stuff on the web is like doing a doctorate thesis.
I wish someone would just write a book and be done with it!:mwah

I searched everywhere trying to find the location of the amp in my car, but all of the photos were of either coupes or sedan showing the amp in the trunk, which is where I was looking. I finally found one very poor image of the amps location for a convertible. It's mounted in a steel bracket wedged between the left rear trim panel and the body. For a 10 channel amp, this thing is tiny, only about 7 x 8 inches or so. After more research into the E46 audio conundrum, I became determined to take the easiest route possible for every part of the install. I scanned hundreds of images of wiring diagrams, plugs, the numbers assigned to the little pins on the plugs, all the various wire colors, how to cut and slice and blah...blah..blah! I'm still committed to maintaining the OEM appearance, so some things were and some things were not negotiable when it came down to choosing the components:

HEAD UNIT: Dynavin N6-E46, because it's almost identical looking to the OEM unit and after further research, has many great features and is easy to install.

FRONT: Focal K2 Power 130 KRC 5.25" 2-Way, because they fit, sound incredible and were half off the usual price of $799.00 at Crutchfield.

REAR: Focal K2 Power 100KRS 4" Component, same reasons as above but will require minor mods to fit.

AMP: Helix DSP V Eight, because it's a state of the art DSP amp with endless fine tuning possibilities, FITS in the original mounting location with a few minor mods, and I got a great deal on a demo unit from a friend of mine that works for the US distributor of all the Audiotec-Fisher stuff. I would not never have considered shelling out 1,400 clams on an amp, but like I said, was a good deal.

SUBWOOFER: JL Audio ACP108LG-W3v3 (Enclosed 250 watts powered) again it fits, has incredible bass for the money and frees up two channels on the amp I can use for more power up front and maybe even a center channel. No deal on this, gotta pay retail.

The only thing about this install that was keeping me up at night was having to cut and splice all the multicolored wires coming on the HK amp harness. SOLVED for 75 bucks!

http://technicpnp.com/product-category/3-series-e46/top-hifi-hk/

I still have a little research to do on the best way to assign the 8 channels on the Helix before the final install next week, but other than that it's looking pretty good.
Oh yea, I must have removed at least 10 pounds worth of factory modules and brackets that I'm going to save in the event I ever sell. This way I could reinstall the OEM junk and get to keep all the neat stuff listed above.

Pics should be up in a week or so.

quikryptonite
05-09-2017, 09:33 AM
So if I were looking for the easiest install that I could do myself and still have some quality sound would BavSound be the way to go?

I'm specifically worried about fitment problems with aftermarket items. From what I can tell the BavSound stuff is just plug and play. For me, that would be the easiest thing to do. I can follow instructions with the best of them. But, once I get in a situation where I need to modify or fabricate something I get into trouble. I've complied four different resources on the install process for their products and it seems pretty straight forward.

I love good music, but am not an audiophile by any means.

jonnyd330
05-09-2017, 10:55 AM
This is what I ended up doing:

Front Doors
Tweeter: Dayton Audio ND20FB-4 Rear-Mount 3/4″ Soft Dome Neodymium Tweeter
Brand: Dayton Audio
Model: ND20FB-4
Part#: 275-035

Mid-range: Peerless by Tymphany NE65W-04 2″ Full Range Woofer
Brand: Peerless
Model: NE65W-04
Part#: 264-1046

Mid-bass: Dayton Audio ND140-4 5-1/4″ Aluminum Cone Midbass Driver 4 Ohm
Model: ND140-4
Part#: 290-216

Rear Door

Rear Deck
Mid-bass: Dayton Audio RS150P-4A 6″ Reference Paper Woofer 4 Ohm
Model: RS150P-4A
Part#: 295-563

Adapters Required
(2) Pair’s of Scosche SABW525

Additional Parts
(6) 1/2 inch – 8/32 Philips head screws
glue for affixing speakers to brackets

Pictures are here if interested: http://jonathanmanning.com/2017/05/09/replace-and-install-new-speakers-in-bmw-e46-3-series-sedan-1999-2005/

wertyu78
05-09-2017, 11:36 AM

Front Doors

Rear Door

Rear Deck

Adapters Required

Pictures are here if interested: http://jonathanmanning.com/2017/05/09/replace-and-install-new-speakers-in-bmw-e46-3-series-sedan-1999-2005/

Fantastic. Great install, very clean, and I bet it sounds great! Thank you for the write-up. I'd be going this route for speakers in my ZHP if it weren't taking the plunge to a DE/track rat.

jonnyd330
05-09-2017, 12:25 PM
Thanks Wyatt, this is as close as you can come to a plug and play setup without using the $$$ brand name company. This ended up being less than half of what that other company charges. I just had to do a little extra work to get it all installed.

ELCID86
05-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Very nicely done (and great alternative).

TLL0003
05-10-2017, 09:21 AM

Front Doors

Rear Door

Rear Deck

Adapters Required

Were you able to put the covers back over the rear deck speakers?

jonnyd330
05-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Yes I was able to because I modified the adapters. Take a look at my blog post it has the pics.

TLL0003
05-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Yes I was able to because I modified the adapters. Take a look at my blog post it has the pics.

I don't see where the OEM grill was put back over the speaker? It's a very little detail, I was just curious because I like that oem look. Great write up and it looks fantastic. How does it compare to the H/K sound?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jonnyd330
05-11-2017, 05:02 AM
I don't see where the OEM grill was put back over the speaker? It's a very little detail, I was just curious because I like that oem look. Great write up and it looks fantastic. How does it compare to the H/K sound?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oops looks like I didn't include the pic of the finished rear deck. I will have to update that but yes by removing the excess material on the speaker adapter the grill will snap down.

I'll go snap a pic.

ELCID86
05-11-2017, 12:14 PM
^thanks!

Gmas
05-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Just to confirm, there are no subs in your system? The bass is provided by the mid-bass speakers in the front doors and rear deck?

I'm asking because I'd like to upgrade the stock HK system in my coupe, but am not interested in a sub taking up space in the trunk. Looking for sound quality over thumping bass, but I still want it to sound full. Was hoping I could find something to put in the rear deck that would do the trick.

Are you happy with the sound quality of what you went with?

Bludsport
05-11-2017, 12:59 PM

Sweet!

I'm using the same exact mid for the front doors as you.

This install has been a PITA for me. I haven't worked on a BMW in quite a while and I had forgotten all the techniques for removing panels and stuff. I was close to finishing everything last week and had modified the bracket for the original HK amp to accomodate the new amp and cables, had everything installed and then realized that I would be needing to access the amp occasionally and didn't want to remove the rear left trim panel every time i needed access. Also, it was a really tight fit and the wires and cables were getting all jammed together, so I tore everything out and started over on Monday. Should have everything in by this weekend so I'll post some pics.

jonnyd330
05-11-2017, 03:19 PM
Just to confirm, there are no subs in your system? The bass is provided by the mid-bass speakers in the front doors and rear deck?

I'm asking because I'd like to upgrade the stock HK system in my coupe, but am not interested in a sub taking up space in the trunk. Looking for sound quality over thumping bass, but I still want it to sound full. Was hoping I could find something to put in the rear deck that would do the trick.

Are you happy with the sound quality of what you went with?

For the money it is good quality using the OEM amp. I did upgrade the trunk sub speakers with different ones it was not easy to do. But the bass out of the new subs is much better.

Bludsport
05-29-2017, 04:16 PM
Okay, so I started this whole thing a little over a month ago and finally completed everything yesterday. It could have gone more quickly if it wasn't for me changing my mind so much, sending stuff back, ordering new stuff, etc. It's definitely been a learning process and it's definitely not something I would recommend to someone without a decent mechanical and electrical skill set...but I did it anyway...ha! At one point, I stood in my garage totally stupefied as I stared at the carnage before me. I had ripped out almost all of my entire interior. The seats were lying on one part of the floor, door panels, carpet panels, under dash panels, brackets, connectors, nuts and bolts were scattered everywhere. At that moment, I recall an overwhelming sense of panic setting in as surveyed the pile of crap on the floor before me and realized there were parts scattered about that I didn't even remember removing, much less where they were supposed to be reinstalled. At this point, my hands were raw and bleeding, my neck and back were in spasms from putting my body in positions it's never been in before so I decided to step back for a while and allow my body and mind a well deserved break.

A few days later I returned refreshed, and ready to wrap things up. I'm anal and a perfectionist, so I get a little manic every time I start a project like this, so I have to constantly remind myself that like with past projects, it will be finished and it will be right...eventually. That day finally arrived. Everything is back in place and remarkably working as it was intended to do. I didn't take any pics of the carnage, only the completed work. My tender ego wouldn't allow for that! Anyway, take a look. I'm not going to go into much detail about this project, because I know that most of you here are well versed when it comes to the ins and outs of working on these cars and already have the skills needed to handle projects like this, but if you want more detail, just send me a note.

I began the project with the idea of keeping everything dead stock, but eventually had to make certain compromises in order to achieve what I wanted and have access to things like amplifiers and crossovers. At first, I decided to locate the amp in the original location behind the upholstered panel on left rear quarter panel side of the interior, so I made modifications to the OEM amp bracket. It was a perfect fit, but it proved to be too cramped and hard to get to, so I moved the amp and crossovers to the rear ski pass area. I was going to run all new speaker wire, but getting new wire to the front doors was a pain, so I patched into the factory wires running from the original HK amp using a 12 circuit terminal block I got at Lowe's. (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Quick-Wire-Connectors/999953966)

30123 30124 30126

I removed all the plastic stuff from the ski pass that once held the OEM subwoofer, and mounted the amp and crossovers on a hinged piece of 3/8" plywood covered in black speaker carpet. Behind the amp, you can see where I mounted an enclosed 8" Pioneer subwoofer. I bought this little speaker with the intention of using it as my primary subwoofer, but it just didn't have enough bass response, so with the aid of the Helix software program, I'm now using it as a "low" rear center speaker. It works great because all the sound it produces is passed through the open area between the rear seats and the trunk and is filtered out along the vented plastic trim panel running along the top of the rear seats beneath the head rests. Now, access to the amp and crossovers is a breeze.

The woofers I bought for the rear passenger area had a greater install depth than the factory speakers and wouldn't fit, so I made new speaker brackets out of 1/2" plywood in order to push the new speakers closer to the rear trim panels. I coated the plywood brackets with black spray can Plasti-Dip stuff to cut down on any possible vibrations, but mainly because it looks better. In order to fit the tweeters, I had to Dremel out the interior of the factory tweeter housings and secured the new tweeters using exterior grade 2-sided tape.

30127 30128 30129

I wanted much more bass response than the little 8" Pioneer could handle, so I installed a 12" enclosed subwoofer from JL Audio. I then installed a 550w mono amplifier from JBL to handle the 400w rated JL Audio sub. To avoid losing all my trunk space, I attached feet to the sub made from rubber door knob stops and installed it firing downwards into the spare tire recess. I removed the plastic jack holder from the plastic spare tire cover, covered it in black speaker carpet and installed the subwoofer with it's little feet resting on top of the spare tire cover. I then cut a rectangular hole out of the trunks carpet covered mat to match the size of the sub, so instead of the sub taking up 6" of space above the trunk matt, now it only takes up about 2". In the event of a flat tire, removing the sub is easy so it won't be a problem. I mounted the subwoofer amp on a small piece of carpet covered plywood I secured to the bracket of the factory CD rack. I also had to make mods to the little plastic tray located in front of the amp to get it to fit.

30130 301313013230133 3014630147

Well, that's about it. There's a lot of stuff I'm glossing over, so if you have any questions just let me know. The new system sounds phenomenal but I still need to make final adjustments with using the Helix software and a microphone.

Fitting a double din in the E46 is fun...NOT! The display on the OEM head unit is angled upward and the options available to do the same with a new head unit are zip. After searching online, I decided to go it on my own, so I gutted my OEM head unit and modified the mounting bracket to fit the Pioneer AVIC 8201. Result, perfect fit!

I had a couple of full range 3.5" JL Audio speakers I was going to use in the upper part of the front doors, but they didn't fit. I then removed the 8" sub from it's enclosure behind the ski pass and installed them converting the enclosure from sealed to ported. The two 4 ohm speakers are wired in parallel so together they only draw 2 ohms and actually sound pretty amazing!

danewilson77
05-30-2017, 05:55 PM
Excellent work.

:Respect

Sent from my S8+

Bludsport
05-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Thanks Dane.

After driving top down a couple of days, I decided to replace the brand new Dynavin N6 unit I just bought with a Pioneer unit. The Dynavin is a great head unit, but you can't see the screen with the top down. Hopefully the Pioneer will be a little brighter. I thought it would be an easy swap, but nope...had to cut out a portion of the plastic heater box in the dash and fabricate a new cover for it. I'll post pic's later of this after I finish with the install tomorrow. BTW, I'm going to post the Dynavin unit for sale here on the classifieds as well. Not recommended for convertibles, but should work great in a coupe or 4 door.

tomnobes
05-31-2017, 10:51 AM
I think I'm gonna have to do this to my car eventually. I have always liked nice sounding music and in the past adding a sub was usually enough to make the entire system sound better. Unfortunately, e46s without fold down seats just muffle the sound too much from the sub and so I think I'm just gonna replace the speaker with nice component speakers and get a new amp. Thanks for this thread, should help me when it comes time to do mine :thumbup

Fried_Chicken
03-13-2019, 09:29 PM

Front Doors

Rear Door

Rear Deck

Adapters Required

Additional Parts
(6) 1/2 inch – 8/32 Philips head screws
glue for affixing speakers to brackets

How does the sound compare? Are you satisfied?

Fried_Chicken
04-23-2020, 04:13 PM
After hearing the Harman Kardon system in the 2020 340i or whatever they have, I now want to upgrade -_-

I don’t know anything about sound system installations. Car audio is not trivial. Balancing the speakers is not trivial.

But dammit, I want an upgrade. A proper upgrade, but an upgrade that looks and feels 100% like stock. Something that would even make hood rats turn their heads.

JPMo
09-08-2020, 10:03 AM
After hearing the Harman Kardon system in the 2020 340i or whatever they have, I now want to upgrade -_-

I don’t know anything about sound system installations. Car audio is not trivial. Balancing the speakers is not trivial.

But dammit, I want an upgrade. A proper upgrade, but an upgrade that looks and feels 100% like stock. Something that would even make hood rats turn their heads.

Hood rats?

But I agree with you, I think we need a state of the union on E46 Harmon Kardon audio in 2020 since most threads on the topic are several years old now. Anyone have any insight?

BMWCurves
09-08-2020, 10:41 AM
The most common plug-and-play option is a Bavsound kit (https://www.bavsound.com/pages/bmw-speakers), but I've heard that it only provides mild-moderate improvement in audio quality.

Galapolis
09-08-2020, 11:27 AM
My buddy installed the Bavsound kit in his M3 vert and I actually thought my stock sedan HK still sounded better. I think Bavsound is great if your speakers are old/dying and you just want to restore it to OEM+ without any hassles or paying through your nose for genuine BMW parts.

johnrando
09-08-2020, 01:40 PM
I liked my Bavsound, great plug n play, upgraded sound.(esp w a subwoofer) You'd do btr putting something together urself though. More power for less cost

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

cakM3
09-08-2020, 01:46 PM
I liked my Bavsound, great plug n play, upgraded sound.(esp w a subwoofer) You'd do btr putting something together urself though. More power for less cost

When I upgrade my ZHP's speakers I'm thinking of going this route primarily because it is plug and play and does sound good...

JPMo
09-09-2020, 07:41 AM
Plug and play is nice but not if it doesn't change the sound for me. Guess I'll just have to hear a bavsound car for myself

johnrando
09-09-2020, 11:42 AM
To me it does change the sound, it's an upgrade. It's just that you can get more sound for the buck if you roll your own.

ZHPizza
09-09-2020, 12:26 PM
Y'all gotta remember that new speakers need time to break in and sound right. The Bavsound kit is not exciting when first installed as the fresh speakers don't sound any better than broken-in HK's. Lemme see if I can dig up my notes on this one...

Edit: here u go. They sound wonderful now that they're broken in. I wouldn't mind a little more bass, but it's plenty punchy as-is.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?19536-ZHPizza-s-red-car&p=566308#post566308

BMWCurves
09-09-2020, 02:55 PM
Y'all gotta remember that new speakers need time to break in and sound right. The Bavsound kit is not exciting when first installed as the fresh speakers don't sound any better than broken-in HK's. Lemme see if I can dig up my notes on this one...

Edit: here u go. They sound wonderful now that they're broken in. I wouldn't mind a little more bass, but it's plenty punchy as-is.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?19536-ZHPizza-s-red-car&p=566308#post566308

Somehow I completely forgot that portion of that thread and just remember you saying it was not very noticeable. That's good to know, now they're back on my list down the road...

johnrando
09-10-2020, 05:03 AM
Def agree the bavsound needs more bass. I put in a subwoofer and that made all the difference, from good to great.

JPMo
09-10-2020, 05:38 AM

Def agree the bavsound needs more bass. I put in a subwoofer and that made all the difference, from good to great.

Sent from my SM-G988U using TapatalkGood to know! Thank you for that

Fried_Chicken
09-15-2020, 09:21 PM
Hood rats?

But I agree with you, I think we need a state of the union on E46 Harmon Kardon audio in 2020 since most threads on the topic are several years old now. Anyone have any insight?

People who live in low-income neighborhoods and seemingly spend what little money they have on INSANE sound systems. I want something that will impress them.

Like I said, the new 340i HK speaker system blew. my. mind. Woah.

Seems ridiculous that the best option we have is the BavSound system which only gets mixed reviews. I wish I could hear one in person, it's hard to guess what other people's standards are.

johnrando
09-16-2020, 04:00 PM
Yeah, let's go easy on terms like hood rats. Wrt to Bavsound, no way you'd get that kind of sound.

ZHPizza
09-16-2020, 07:25 PM
Yeah, let's go easy on terms like hood rats. Wrt to Bavsound, no way you'd get that kind of sound.

Sent from my SM-G988U using TapatalkAgreed. It just takes the HK system from like a 5 to an 8. The treble is more defined, the bass is punchier, and the whole sound is noticeably clearer. It's just not going to magically add a 10" subwoofer to the trunk.

Fried_Chicken
09-17-2020, 12:49 AM
Agreed. It just takes the HK system from like a 5 to an 8. The treble is more defined, the bass is punchier, and the whole sound is noticeably clearer. It's just not going to magically add a 10" subwoofer to the trunk.

Bass is nice, but it's not the key to really good sound. I'm decently happy with the stock HK subs. It sounds like, short of replacing the full stack (head unit, amplifier, speakers), the Bavsound option is the one to go with. It's also my understanding the e46 uses non-standad speakers?

cakM3
09-17-2020, 03:35 AM
You can upgrade the installed HK sound system using aftermarket components.... speakers, cross overs, subs and amp. This is what I did to my M3 with Kyle's help and a few members here have heard this sound system in person. In my case Rockford Fosgate speakers, cross overs and amp and a 1000w Quarts MB amp and Alpine 10" subwoofer were used. I retained the Navi display and BM53 radio in my M3 to keep the stock appearance of the car.

Years later and I still have no issues with the sound system Kyle installed. It still has clear distortion-free sound and deep bass. It all depends on how you want to set up your sound system. :thumbsup

JETSET303
09-17-2020, 10:18 AM
I am actually in the middle of upgrading my ZHP. AudioControl amps, infinity reference speakers ( couldn’t make the focals fit without major mods to the door), JL Audio sub and wiring, distribution and such from Knuconceptz. As soon as I finish the shifter rebuild I will be wrapping the wiring harness I made with Tessa tape for a factory look. The amps will reside on a custom amp rack in the factory location. Also making custom speaker adapters out of HPDE. Will be utilizing the Dynavin that was in the car from PO for now.

Fried_Chicken
09-17-2020, 10:21 AM
You can upgrade the installed HK sound system using aftermarket components.... speakers, cross overs, subs and amp. This is what I did to my M3 with Kyle's help and a few members here have heard this sound system in person. In my case Rockford Fosgate speakers, cross overs and amp and a 1000w Quarts MB amp and Alpine 10" subwoofer were used. I retained the Navi display and BM53 radio in my M3 to keep the stock appearance of the car.

Years later and I still have no issues with the sound system Kyle installed. It still has clear distortion-free sound and deep bass. It all depends on how you want to set up your sound system. :thumbsup

An M3 with a banging sound system would be about as good as cars get. I would guess it’s neither cheap nor easy to do.

I am actually in the middle of upgrading my ZHP. AudioControl amps, infinity reference speakers ( couldn’t make the focals fit without major mods to the door), JL Audio sub and wiring, distribution and such from Knuconceptz. As soon as I finish the shifter rebuild I will be wrapping the wiring harness I made with Tessa tape for a factory look. The amps will reside on a custom amp rack in the factory location. Also making custom speaker adapters out of HPDE. Will be utilizing the Dynavin that was in the car from PO for now.

By all means start your own build thread with pics and cost breakdown!

JETSET303
09-17-2020, 10:32 AM
An M3 with a banging sound system would be about as good as cars get. I would guess it’s neither cheap nor easy to do.

By all means start your own build thread with pics and cost breakdown!

I have been piecing it together for months. This will be in my build thread...but for a teaser

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200917/fbf08251914da51ff2186483c680229a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200917/d8c7c28eefe38a0c10be5a0708cafea7.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200917/1fc72c91b0e5d7ef7b53f1924eaffe7b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200917/feda62474845d1516f25400aea343696.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200917/c3631541a4c33351182f65d4e913e20e.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200917/1287893476a5986a1e9f556054606f6d.jpg

JETSET303
09-17-2020, 10:34 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200917/ce5603ee61728b677c366cd79782eccd.jpg
These will not fit without major modification. Mounting depth is too great to overcome easily.

Fried_Chicken
09-17-2020, 08:34 PM
I am excite

Mless5
10-28-2020, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know, what is the maximum depth of the speaker that can fit stock opening IF the protruding lip on the door card is shaved down to be flush with threaded inserts?