PDA

View Full Version : E30 Coolant Problems

quikryptonite
04-01-2011, 11:21 AM
So I know this isn't ZHP related, but I was driving home last night in my E30 and the coolant light came on. I have a slow leak somewhere so periodically the light comes on and I have to top off the coolant.

Well when I got home, the recovery reservoir was about dry and there was a large leak somewhere. I could hear a little hiss in the middle of the engine so it sounds like I have a faulty coolant hose somewhere.

Looks like I have a project to work on next week.

Johnmadd
04-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Look under your throttle body where the two coolant hoses go and see if the leak is from there.

danewilson77
04-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Look under your throttle body where the two coolant hoses go and see if the leak is from there.

For some reason....I didn't even have to look to know you answered.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

nk_zhp
04-01-2011, 12:37 PM
You might the tool to pressurize the system and shine ultraviolet light to detect the leak. Keep us posted. Hopefully it is not a head gasket issue.

quikryptonite
04-01-2011, 01:30 PM
You might the tool to pressurize the system and shine ultraviolet light to detect the leak. Keep us posted. Hopefully it is not a head gasket issue.

Yea, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is just a loose hose clamp or bad pipe.

Johnmadd
04-01-2011, 01:36 PM
For some reason....I didn't even have to look to know you answered.

Droid! Srs Legitness!:biggrin

Yea, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is just a loose hose clamp or bad pipe.
Have you looked where I suggested to look yet?

quikryptonite
04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
:biggrin

Have you looked where I suggested to look yet?

When I got home last night it was dark, so I was trying to see what I could with a flashlight. There was steam coming from the engine block and I could see some coolant dripping from the bottom of the engine.

I am hoping to get the car up on jackstands next week and be able to snoop around thoroughly.

Johnmadd
04-01-2011, 03:03 PM
The reason I ask this specifically is because those two lines go to the throttle body cooling piece, that gasket will eventually go, very common for this to happen. Easy bypass trick if this is your problem as its not a necessarypart. You should be able to just reach under and feel if it wet.

quikryptonite
04-09-2011, 05:49 PM
It was the throttle body plate and gasket. She is now good to go, at least for a while. My mechanic said that if my car wasn't so popular they wouldn't even be making OEM parts for a 25 year old car. People with other kinds of cars are just out of luck when parts like this break on theirs, or have to comb the junkyards. They should've bought a Bimmer.

Johnmadd
04-09-2011, 06:43 PM
It was the throttle body plate and gasket. She is now good to go, at least for a while. My mechanic said that if my car wasn't so popular they wouldn't even be making OEM parts for a 25 year old car. People with other kinds of cars are just out of luck when parts like this break on theirs, or have to comb the junkyards. They should've bought a Bimmer.Glad to hear you got it fixed. Glad to heear I was right also.:eeps:biggrin

quikryptonite
04-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Glad to heear I was right also.:eeps:biggrin

I am coming straight to you with my next problem. ;)

Johnmadd
04-09-2011, 08:44 PM
I am coming straight to you with my next problem. ;)
Do that. I want to help when I can.