PDA

View Full Version : S54 found... somebody please hide my wallet...

Dotpage
04-02-2011, 02:17 PM
So... I was just wondering around some local part recyclers looking for a center armrest for my car and found a S54 with 91k, part grade A, 200 miles from me, at just about $3K.. Thinking of taking my indy guy for a road trip..

What u guys think?

mimalmo
04-02-2011, 02:20 PM
You'll also need the ECU, complete wire harness, driveshaft, rear subframe, differential and a few more items.

Dotpage
04-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Dang, my wallet now hid itself.

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6735834/Shit-just-got-real.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Serious-fish-spongebob

mimalmo
04-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Sorry to be the Debbie Downer, just trying to make sure you are aware of what it takes.

Dotpage
04-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Yeap, now you made me search for pricing on more prts, you evil person.. :D

az3579
04-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Yeap, now you made me search for pricing on more prts, you evil person.. :D

I've been down the swap road before. If you aren't doing the work yourself, expect the swap including labor and parts to be over 10k.

Sent from my DROIDX

bullfrogs_M3
04-02-2011, 02:49 PM
I've been down the swap road before. If you aren't doing the work yourself, expect the swap including labor and parts to be over 10k.

Sent from my DROIDX

Holy buttermilk biscuits batman! Might as well get an S/C and an M3 rear end swap and call it a day.

mimalmo
04-02-2011, 02:50 PM
That's why I felt Terry's car was such a bargain.

gr330zhp
04-02-2011, 02:59 PM
I mean I am in no position right now, financially, to buy an S54. But it is such an awesome powerplant! If I had extra car cash, I would so do it. Yes a supercharger may be cheaper, but an S54 in a ZHP makes the perfect car, naturally aspirated, awesome redline and great power......and 4 door in my case.

Terry's car is amazing!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

M0nk3y
04-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Just sell and get a ///M :shifty

Dotpage
04-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Just sell and get a ///M :shifty

if I get an ///M it'll be a Coupe to play with, still need the 4 doors for the kiddos :)

maybe 1182 is available.. :devilish

Terry
04-02-2011, 05:32 PM
...Just like I told Eli.

I must admit that I have been biting my tongue from the onset regarding the powertrain of my car. This is the ZHPmafia and I think it's appropriate that I discuss the package (ZHP) and not the powertrain. Maybe this thread is an appropriate opportunity since S54 is in the title..

I've driven various forced-induction cars..Whether factory, aftermarket, turbo, supercharged, and on the street, tracks, etc. Great bang for the buck and especially so if it's reliable.. And with that said I imagine anybody bolting anything onto (or into) their M54 is probably going to be utilizing the parts and research of a reputable company therefore excluding the question of reliability.

gr330zhp - would have to agree with you on your comments. And thanks for the compliments. I always thought the S54 was such a neat powerplant because it just wants to sing, with enough low end girth to get you around, but more importantly with a seemingly endless powerband. Reminds me of the S14 in my E30 but even more peaky! I bought the car because of the package and the fact that it was a sunroofless car. I'm aware of what it costs to acquire a S54 powertrain and figured the asking price of the car was certainly fair especially considering it only had 53k miles and was relatively clean. Okay, so the bottom line. I love driving this car and thoroughly enjoy the engine. I typically shift before the power comes on. There's a sweet note that reverberates through the cabin at around the high 3s - 4,000rpm mark that typically puts a grin on my face. I shift there. When I'm feeling frisky I'll rev the car out but that is a rareity as I just don't drive fast enough and am constantly thinking of conservation. Even when tackling a freeway onramp at speed I'll short shift dramatically. I suppose part of the cars appeal is that the power is there if I need it and the 8k tach is always tempting me right in front of my face. No check engine lights, no cooling issues, no lag, and that sweet Munich-manufactured Motor-made Music we pay to hear :)

So I'm rambling at this point. I've had a long day but definitely wanted to contribute to the feedback you might hear, Dot. I know Eli has done the research and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go down this path in the future. M0nkey has a point about selling your car and just buying the package deal. And Bulldog's thinking makes sense financially as forced-induction is going to give you the power you want for a whole lot less money. To be honest - if my M54 was worse for wear I would be patient and be willing to cough up the extra money (and time) to do the complete swap. I don't think I could do it to a pristine ZHP though. I would wait until the engine is tired or, god forbid, something happened to the car that warranted you tearing into it.

With all that said. If anybody took on such a project I would do my best to help them by documenting everything I've seen Rogue do. That is another option though... Ask Ben @ Rogue if he would be interested in performing the trasnformation. Then again I suppose that's part of the fun ...doing it yourself. I must say though - he has it down pat. No quirks here...nothing. Just two huge fat exhaust pipes that almost seem cartoonishly (is that a word?) large.

-Terry

Dotpage
04-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Terry, that was inspiring. :)

gr330zhp
04-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Perfect post Terry!

Proves even more all the reasons I love the S54! I remember the first time driving my dads old M3. That sound when it fires up, the rev lights lit up. Give it a slight tap of the throttle and my opinon best sounding motor ever!

Love it!

ryankokesh
04-02-2011, 06:32 PM
:drool

Johnmadd
04-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Terry, can you show some pics of the the zhp swap and I would love to see some of the e30 s14 inside and out.

Dotpage
04-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Terry, can you show some pics of the the zhp swap and I would love to see some of the e30 s14 inside and out.

+1

az3579
04-03-2011, 04:10 AM
Terry,
I don't think you realize just what a jackpot you hit. Reading about your early shifting made me think "holy crap, if that was me I'd be tracking/autocrossing that as much as I could". I wouldn't waste a minute hearing it sing at 8000rpm. I personally have never driven an S54 equipped car and don't think I ever will, but I want one so bad based on what people are saying. I just wish the M came with the correct number of doors. :(

Sent from my DROIDX

gr330zhp
04-03-2011, 05:31 AM
Terry,
I don't think you realize just what a jackpot you hit. Reading about your early shifting made me think "holy crap, if that was me I'd be tracking/autocrossing that as much as I could". I wouldn't waste a minute hearing it sing at 8000rpm. I personally have never driven an S54 equipped car and don't think I ever will, but I want one so bad based on what people are saying. I just wish the M came with the correct number of doors. :(

Sent from my DROIDX

Why not? You have to drive one at some point! It is arace motor that was modified for the street pretty much.

Especially BP you like tracking, you would love the feel of the S54....

:dunno just sayin

az3579
04-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Why not? You have to drive one at some point! It is arace motor that was modified for the street pretty much.

Especially BP you like tracking, you would love the feel of the S54....

:dunno just sayin

I'd love to but I don't know anyone with a S54 that would let me drive it..

Sent from my DROIDX

gr330zhp
04-03-2011, 06:28 AM
Plenty of dealers in CT with M3s :)

Have some fun :)

az3579
04-03-2011, 06:36 AM
Plenty of dealers in CT with M3s :)

Have some fun :)

I can't truly "drive" an M3 with a dealer nanny sitting next to me. :shifty

Plus, I don't meet the age requirements for their insurance (under 25). And I'm not going to waste an employee's time if I have no intent of buying the car as it's work he's missing out on. Everyone has to make a living.

Sent from my DROIDX

Terry
04-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Dot, glad you found it informative. If you begin to consider it more and are ever in the area (Orange County, CA) for work, give me a ring and I'll swing by so you can do the test drive. gr330zhp, glad the post was enjoyable.

John, no problem at all on the pics. What sort of shots are you looking for? General engine bay pic? Or rear end? I am currently doing quite a bit of work on the E30 and re-painting the interior. Will maybe start a thread here if Marcus doesn't mind.

Botond, I hear ya. The car will see events here and there when I'm helping out the club (BMWCCA). I do not intend to fully commit it to the track (ie, having extra wheels and tires, competition pads, etc.). I am going to do my best to keep the miles down on it. With that said I promise you there are / will be occasional spirited jaunts where the odometer reading will be just a bit short of the actual distance traveled.. Especially during inclement weather :eyetwitch

By the way, Botond. Much respect here regarding your comments on not wanting to test drive a car in order to not waste the salesperson's time. That's a good thing to say. I would also like to add that tossing a dealership car around is the next owner's duty and not ours. I am sure there are some local guys with S54 cars that would be happy to entertain you. Like I offered Dot, if you're ever in the area just give me a ring.

-T

M0nk3y
04-03-2011, 07:57 AM
if I get an ///M it'll be a Coupe to play with, still need the 4 doors for the kiddos :)

maybe 1182 is available.. :devilish

doooo itttt!

I'd love to but I don't know anyone with a S54 that would let me drive it..

Sent from my DROIDX

You can always drive to Columbus for some autocrossing fun :)

Marcus-SanDiego
04-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Terry, my friend, no worries about starting another thread. Enjoy. Looking forward to seeing it.

Terry
04-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks Marcus, I will get on it :)

Botond, not sure if M0nkey was offering but his statement certainly charged my lightbulb.. You're into autocross so just offer to buy somebody dinner or pump some gas in their car in exchange for a run or two.

I love the Coupes and have had some good times in the previous generation M Coupe (with both the S52 and S54 versions). Don't think those cars get enough credit. I feel that the Z3-based Coupes (M or 2.8) are BMW's idea of a motor swap / conversion car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Z3-based coupe originally a side / after-hours project? Engineers putting their heads together to see what sort of menace could be produced off the Z platform without the restrictions of product planners and other conservatives, right? If you tear em' down it's essentially an E30 (or 318ti), but a lot stiffer, with more rubber, and all the trimmings to make it a complete package. Looking at the rear end and trailing arms you see a handful of similarities to the E30 M3 race cars (in terms of gusseting on the arms and at the spindles, etc.).

I realize the current Z4-based coupe is more sophisticated and I look forward to getting under one of those someday. M0nkey, feel free to give us the tour :)

M0nk3y
04-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks Marcus, I will get on it :)

Botond, not sure if M0nkey was offering but his statement certainly charged my lightbulb.. You're into autocross so just offer to buy somebody dinner or pump some gas in their car in exchange for a run or two.

I realize the current Z4-based coupe is more sophisticated and I look forward to getting under one of those someday. M0nkey, feel free to give us the tour :)

At my autocross chapter. There are a ton E46 M3s that run. I was able to ride-shotgun in a E46M for 6 runs one day, it just worked out that my off-time was when this certain E46M was running. That's how I got fascinated. I was never able to drive one, however.

I'd be interested on the times the Z4M Coupe can put up against the E46M. I'll have to compare my times against the others...There are a couple E46 Ms that run on street tires as well, so i'd be interesting :D

The one reason I love the Zed4M is because it's the last M car before it got overloaded with electronics. No electronic damping, same old steering you see in the E46s. The only difference in the motor is a revised ECU.

az3579
04-03-2011, 09:51 AM
You can always drive to Columbus for some autocrossing fun :)

Is that an invitation? :)

Sent from my DROIDX

M0nk3y
04-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Is that an invitation? :)

Sent from my DROIDX

Yes. If you really want to.

az3579
04-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Yes. If you really want to.

As long as it doesn't land on a weekend where I have an event of my own to attend. Problem is, Columbus is farther than the distance to Dane's, and that is already pushing the limits of how far I can drive in a sitting. Which weekend were you thinking?

Sent from my DROIDX

M0nk3y
04-03-2011, 10:35 AM
As long as it doesn't land on a weekend where I have an event of my own to attend. Problem is, Columbus is farther than the distance to Dane's, and that is already pushing the limits of how far I can drive in a sitting. Which weekend were you thinking?

Sent from my DROIDX

http://ovr-scca.org/_autocross/schedules.asp

Usually from May onward I'll be attending most, if not all of those Points Events.

Sadly though, that's an hour away from me...and I'm going to be living at a dorm this summer on campus. So your ability to crash somewhere is non-existent (Unless I get a 2 person room, then you're welcome to drive to Dayton...Sleep, Get up...just car-pool with me to Columbus, run, drive back to Dayton...etc)

az3579
04-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Well at this point, each long distance trip I make like that ends up costing a couple hundred dollars after tolls and gas, so lemme know what the deal will be as far as a place to crash. Wondering how much a cheap motel would cost for a night...

Sent from my DROIDX

M0nk3y
04-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Well at this point, each long distance trip I make like that ends up costing a couple hundred dollars after tolls and gas, so lemme know what the deal will be as far as a place to crash. Wondering how much a cheap motel would cost for a night...

Sent from my DROIDX

I'll let you know ASAP I can get a rooming assignment