PDA

View Full Version : poly fcab questions

Johnmadd
05-23-2017, 08:27 AM
So, I am trying to track down an issue with my car. I believe it to be control arms or the fcab's, but haven't got under to diagnose it yet.

My question is, can poly fcab's be removed and used again? I ask this because I would like to try these first because of the cost of the control arms.

Second question, are these easier to install than traditional rubber fcab's?

I've also read that it is not necessary to get the car down within the 30 minutes that is recommended for the rubber ones. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance.

slater
05-23-2017, 09:48 AM
first off... what is the issue you're experiencing?

My question is, can poly fcab's be removed and used again?

yes, if you don't damage them when removing.

Second question, are these easier to install than traditional rubber fcab's?

absolutely.

I've also read that it is not necessary to get the car down within the 30 minutes that is recommended for the rubber ones. Can anyone confirm this?

i've never heard of the 30min rule with rubber bushings - but no, it should not matter at all with either.

Johnmadd
05-23-2017, 12:03 PM
Thanks Peter. I'm having the typical shaking while braking and a little bit of noise and seems to be getting worse. The 30 minutes thing is stated in the Bentley manual and in diys on forums. I had to retap a passenger side bolt hole when doing fcab's a little less than 2 years ago and ended up not being able to drop that side until the next day, that is the side that seems to be the culprit. I have the z4m mounts and expected more miles out of them. I did install coilovers since then and have read that could cause additional binding of the fcab's.

So, how much easier are the poly one to install?

John in VA
05-23-2017, 01:56 PM
I believe the "30 minute rule" refers to the time frame that the dish soap lube used during installation becomes more glue-like.
It was easy to see the front/rear front wheel movement on our 2000 328i (with 60K mile) when stabbing the brakes from 5-10 mph.

danewilson77
05-23-2017, 02:53 PM
I believe the "30 minute rule" refers to the time frame that the dish soap lube used during installation becomes more glue-like.
It was easy to see the front/rear front wheel movement on our 2000 328i (with 60K mile) when stabbing the brakes from 5-10 mph.
This.

Sent from my S8+

Johnmadd
05-23-2017, 03:27 PM

This.

Sent from my S8+

So, controll arms/ball joints?

danewilson77
05-23-2017, 03:35 PM
So, controll arms/ball joints?
Only fcab to control arm joint, as this is be the only joint requiring a soapy slippery solution to assemble.

Kapeesh?

Sent from my S8+

Johnmadd
05-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Only fcab to control arm joint, as this is be the only joint requiring a soapy slippery solution to assemble.

Kapeesh?

Sent from my S8+

I don't think so, I already might have made a mistake. Re read the third post.

Oli77
05-23-2017, 05:24 PM
I had to retap once while doing this, no problem, took more than 30 minutes. The 30 minute rule makes no sense as the culprit in your scenario.

My shop guy pushes new control arms in old fcabs all the time when the ball joint on the control arm is the culprit.

This may seem wrong to many on here.