PDA

View Full Version : Time for new shoes!

wsmeyer
07-03-2017, 09:11 AM
Just like the last time, I don't drive the ZHP much so 3 of my 4 Pilot Super Sport's dried out and cracked long before I wore them out. The third wore through on the inside do to worn out FCAB.

This happening a second time had me feeling rather thrifty so I started looking around for deals. Not necessarily the cheapest but I was in no mood to pony up for Super Sports again.

While searching I ran across some tires I had never heard of, Barum. I googled the name and found out they are made in the Czech Republic. That's convenient as I have a friend that grew up there and is also into cars. I asked him and he said they are very common over there, not the best but nothing wrong with them. Not exactly a glowing review but I decided to go for it.

When I picked up the car is the first time I actually looked at them, they look just fine to me. Driving home on city streets they were quiet, not harsh over bumps, so far so good. I waited until after I got an alignment to take them on the freeway but even on our crappy cement freeways they tracked straight and were quiet. Yesterday I finally had a chance to take them on a road with some curves. I'm no longer interested in seeing how fast I can go but at speeds that would already be making my wife nervous they felt firmly planted and predictable.

IMO if you are a just a daily driver who like to push it a little every once in a while you'll be happy with these.

Of course the best part is the price. They are STUPIDLY cheap. Out the door with mounting, balancing, tax, disposal fee was $458 for all 4, and on top of that there is a $75 mail in rebate bring it down to $383.

I'll update later if there is anything negative to add but as of now, taking price into account I'm giving them :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup.

ZHPizza
07-03-2017, 11:07 AM
I had the same issue with PSS's. It seems like it only takes 2-3 years for them to start dry rotting. I replaced them with Cooper's new high performance all seasons and I'm very happy with them so far.

Barum makes a damn good economy tire that seems to last forever. I wouldn't hesitate to put them on anything.

az3579
07-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Just don't forget about stopping distance, which is also very important...
Cheap tires usually mean longer stopping distances.

johnrando
07-03-2017, 08:45 PM
Great info William!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rookiez
07-09-2017, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the information!! I was in the market for tires a week ago and saw Barum too. However, I decided to go with Cont. DWS 06, $692 mounted, with $75 rebate coming, bringing it down to effectively $617 out of the door.

wsmeyer
07-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the information!! I was in the market for tires a week ago and saw Barum too. However, I decided to go with Cont. DWS 06, $692 mounted, with $75 rebate coming, bringing it down to effectively $617 out of the door.

You'll love those tires. I have them on our X5 as that is what we drive in the snow periodically.