PDA

View Full Version : If the car drives straight after getting new tires, do I need an alignment

thinkpad240
07-13-2017, 11:53 AM
When I got the car used a few months ago, I was given no service history. I've just put 4 new staggered summer tires on this car. The car drives straight, even with my hands off the steering wheel and it is not veering off in any direction. The steering wheel does not tremble or shake when I go over dips and bumps. The only thing my mechanic told me was both front strut mounts are tearing; if that effects alignment much at all. Do I still need to get an alignment? How long can I wait? My only concern is wearing out the new tires too fast in one area. On my prior e46, I only did alignment every 3-4 years and was fine with the way the tires wear.

I am expecting to replace the whole suspension component in 12 months time(about another 15k miles) and then do the alignment at the same time. Thanks.

Johnmadd
07-13-2017, 12:50 PM
You should be good. The mounts may have hairline cracks but are not going to affect tire wear imo. If you are going to change everything within the year I wouldn't worry about it.

derbo
07-13-2017, 02:27 PM
IMO, you should get one every time you get new tires or touch any suspension components. Get one of those lifetime alignments and never have to guess.

az3579
07-13-2017, 05:44 PM
My general rule of thumb is that an alignment is needed after ANY of the following:
* New set of tires
--- Why? Chances are it's been a while since the old tires got put on, so one should be done purely based on time.
--- Not only that, but if you last got an alignment on bushings that have some miles on them, you can re-align for better wear based on the slightly worn bushings.
* Replacing suspension components (bushings, shocks/struts, tie rods, etc.)
--- Why? Obviously suspension bushings affect a car's alignment.
* Continued driving on TERRIBLE roads - in this case I'd do a yearly alignment
--- Why? Driving on terrible roads has the possibility of knocking your alignment settings out of whack.

fredo
07-13-2017, 06:00 PM
I say you can wait one year.

brettbimmer
07-14-2017, 09:13 AM
Ask 3 people and get 4 opinions, but unless you have weird tire wear on the old tires and the car is tracking properly, it is likely unnecessary.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

thinkpad240
07-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys. I am going to hold off on doing the alignment until after I replace the suspension(I will have another posting on that).

danewilson77
07-15-2017, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys. I am going to hold off on doing the alignment until after I replace the suspension(I will have another posting on that).Good plan

:waldo

Sent from my S8+

Rookiez
07-15-2017, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys. I am going to hold off on doing the alignment until after I replace the suspension(I will have another posting on that).

That's what I'd do as well! I never had to do any alignment after changing tires previously (3-6 y.o. car with good suspensions)

KevinC
07-16-2017, 08:29 AM
Getting new tires doesn't necessitate an alignment! Nor does the passage of time. Whatever state the front end was in before, it's unchanged by mounting new tires. So if it does need one, it already needed it.

How were the old tires wearing? If the car's not pulling, and tire wear was uniform, you should be good to go.

Dave1027
07-16-2017, 01:30 PM
Getting new tires doesn't necessitate an alignment! Nor does the passage of time. Whatever state the front end was in before, it's unchanged by mounting new tires. So if it does need one, it already needed it.

How were the old tires wearing? If the car's not pulling, and tire wear was uniform, you should be good to go.

+1 to all of this ^