PDA

View Full Version : Which Koni package for suspension replacement: FSD or Sport?

thinkpad240
07-14-2017, 11:50 AM
I'm at the point where some suspension parts are going out(like the strut mounts) and my indy shop has to take the shocks out to just replace the strut mounts.

I'm thinking of replacing the shocks and springs at this point(130k miles) as I don't think it's been done before by the previous owner. If i want to keep the current ride of the ZHP (I believe from reading that is the same as the Sports suspension option) but willing to get a slight lower ride height and slightly stiffer springs, should I get the Koni FSD (2150 4006) or Sport(part 1145 1011) as they are about the same price? I don't plan to track this car or change the adjustment setting on this car if the FSD will do. I read good things on the Koni package but it does not necessary have to be this brand.

I'm leaning towards the FSD but want some input. The requirement are that
1) The car is even height(front and back and not raking\slant leveling) and not too low where it rubs the curbs\bump.
2) Corners as well or slightly better as the current ZHP setup.
3) Go over the road imperfection(potholes, cracks,etc) as well as the current ZHP setup(and not too crazy harsh over road imperfection, low and stiff like the H&R and Bilstein setup I had before in my other E46. )

Thanks..

ZHPizza
07-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Your requirements based on FSD's:
1) Shocks won't affect the ride height. You would need to change springs for that.
2) Yes, it will corner slightly better than the OE shocks.
3) Yes, it will ride smoother than the OE shocks.
4) Yes, FSD's are made of magic.

BMWCurves
07-14-2017, 12:41 PM
No no no, don't listen to this heretic. FSDs are for pagans, scrubs, infidels, and devout Kardashian followers. Yes, yes, the FSDs might provide an amazing balance between performance and ride comfort and have hydraulic fluid made of magical unicorn tears (or maybe just the tears of a horse with a horn glued to its head), but the true king is Koni Sport (Yellow). They are adjustable magic. Like "oh I only want two pieces of cooked bacon to pop out of thin air, not 20, but because my magic is adjustable, I can have 20 at a later time that I desire"-type adjustable magic.

Jokes aside, you can't really go wrong with either setup.

Here is a link to my often (self) promoted link to my suspension refresh thread for an OEM+ feel: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?16182-Help-with-Suspension-Refresh-at-50k-miles-10-years

Aeternalis
07-14-2017, 12:42 PM
I run FSD shocks and stock ZHP springs. I do not track my car. It handles wonderfully on budget tires and my Style 68 wheels. I will be going with FSDs again when it's time to replace them.

Rookiez
07-14-2017, 02:57 PM
I'm going with FSD as well, looking for a more comfortable yet sporty ride offered by the ZHP. The adjustable ride by Koni Sport is very tempting though. I can go full sport if I'm on the mood for a twisty sporty ride on the weekend. Comfortable on weekdays, sporty on weekend drives. But again, I'm nt a guy that will be diligent enough to tweak with the settings, especially the shocks, hence I'm leaning more toward the FSD :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZHPizza
07-14-2017, 07:36 PM
I run FSD shocks and stock ZHP springs. I do not track my car. It handles wonderfully on budget tires and my Style 68 wheels. I will be going with FSDs again when it's time to replace them.
Lifetime warranty on FSD's so if you do need to replace one, it's on Koni.

thinkpad240
07-14-2017, 08:17 PM
The Koni package has the Koni FSD and Eibach Pro-Kit spring together. I'm worried that the car's front will be too low compared to the rear due to the Eibach springs. Tirerack says this package will lower Avg 1.5 inch Front and 1.5 inch Rear. Since I'm replacing the shocks, I might has well do the springs also.

I see lots of good options described in the above posts and nice pics of cars here(BMWCurves) , but I'm also still considering just staying with the OEM Sachs to be on the safe side(for the next 7 years). I need the suspension primarily to soak up the moderately bad roads and still allow me to drive fast on highways and corner well. I don't have a lot of time to decide as the strut mounts are making lots of noise and my day off to go the shop is late next week. Thanks guys..

BMWM3186
07-14-2017, 09:04 PM
https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/tests/koni_fsd.jsp

Here is a really good comparison on the koni shocks vs the bmw e46 sport shocks. Also I don't think you can lower the car if you go with the fsds so I would leave the factory springs if that's the case.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk

ZHPizza
07-15-2017, 06:03 AM

Here is a really good comparison on the koni shocks vs the bmw e46 sport shocks. Also I don't think you can lower the car if you go with the fsds so I would leave the factory springs if that's the case.

Excellent resource! Thanks for sharing that.

+1 to leaving the factory springs if you don't feel like you need to go lower. The more travel that you give the FSD's to operate, the smoother they ride.

holyc0w
07-15-2017, 06:12 AM

That's pretty cool. I wish they tested some other settings on the sports. Did anybody else experience both?

The Koni package has the Koni FSD and Eibach Pro-Kit spring together. I'm worried that the car's front will be too low compared to the rear due to the Eibach springs. Tirerack says this package will lower Avg 1.5 inch Front and 1.5 inch Rear. Since I'm replacing the shocks, I might has well do the springs also.

Your current springs should be fine if they don't have rust issues.

BMWCurves
07-15-2017, 09:02 AM

I see lots of good options described in the above posts and nice pics of cars here(BMWCurves) , but I'm also still considering just staying with the OEM Sachs to be on the safe side(for the next 7 years). I need the suspension primarily to soak up the moderately bad roads and still allow me to drive fast on highways and corner well. I don't have a lot of time to decide as the strut mounts are making lots of noise and my day off to go the shop is late next week. Thanks guys..

If nothing else, I'd go Koni (either Sports/yellows or the FSDs) over the OE Sachs because they last longer and have a lifetime warranty. My factory Sachs were completely shot when I removed them at 10 years and only 50k miles. You can't go wrong with Koni.

Also, those descriptions of drops in ride height on TireRack due to the Eibach springs are normally for non-sport package equipped cars, meaning the drop should be less for our Performance Package (ZHP) cars. A few members have Eibach springs, they can tell you what they experienced.

webster
07-15-2017, 10:48 AM
If you don't want to go lower then run the FSDs on the stock springs. I had FSDs on my coupe (with the Eibach sport springs) and the overall ride and handling were improved tenfold over stock. I will certainly upgrade to FSDs myself once the suspension needs to be refreshed.

thinkpad240
07-15-2017, 05:48 PM
Webster: do you have any pictures of your car from the side to share, so I can see the lowering and wheel gaps? I have been looking at internet E46 pictures of the Koni FSD and especially with the Eibach Pro Kit springs on them. I had the Bilstein sports shocks and H&R sport spring on my prior car, I like the cornering, and braking stability and they did not wear after 7 years but hated going over bad city roads everyday and watching out for bottoming the front.

The good thing about non-oem shocks is they tend to last longer than OE and suspension work is the biggest cost on my E46 so I'm trying to get the setup correct for my needs. Thanks.

webster
07-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Webster: do you have any pictures of your car from the side to share, so I can see the lowering and wheel gaps? I have been looking at internet E46 pictures of the Koni FSD and especially with the Eibach Pro Kit springs on them. I had the Bilstein sports shocks and H&R sport spring on my prior car, I like the cornering, and braking stability and they did not wear after 7 years but hated going over bad city roads everyday and watching out for bottoming the front.

The good thing about non-oem shocks is they tend to last longer than OE and suspension work is the biggest cost on my E46 so I'm trying to get the setup correct for my needs. Thanks.

Here you go. The rears would rub on big bumps only if the car was fully loaded (i.e. Trunk full of suitcases and passengers in back seat). 99% of the time it was not an issue. The wheels are staggered ARC-8s (rears are 18x9 ET 42).

https://s10.postimg.org/885z4zlxl/IMG_0599.jpg

https://s10.postimg.org/n2ukj5vih/IMG_0596.jpg

https://s10.postimg.org/z6x428089/IMG_0601.jpg

https://s10.postimg.org/oitd3dq95/IMG_0600.jpg

https://s10.postimg.org/493pp1qyx/IMG_0595.jpg

slater
07-17-2017, 08:55 AM
wes, that looks awesome. stock sized PSS?

webster
07-17-2017, 08:58 AM
I loved that fitment/ride height. It was perfect. Yea, OEM fitment on the PSS.

RIP

slater
07-17-2017, 09:13 AM
I loved that fitment/ride height. It was perfect. Yea, OEM fitment on the PSS.

RIP

yeah. looks perfect. too bad the sedan/Touring can't handle those meats without rubbing (unless you do some rear fender lip rolling). that's the setup i want to run!

thinkpad240
10-14-2017, 09:04 PM
It's been 3 months since I decided to go with the FSD and the stock OE springs. One of the best decision I've made, with the forum's help.
The car is leveled evenly. It takes bumpy uneven roads and expansion joints well. I've not have hit bottom yet. It corners well and rigid for my crazy zip-zig freeway driving style. Very competent and assuring.

I recently took it to a highway and the limit was that it takes medium curves well at up to 90mph. Any faster, well I have to start using the brakes. It sucks though that I get passed by a Nissan Z on curvy roads. The ZHP is not meant to be a sports car. It does everything I need it to do. Here's a pic.

Yelkos
10-15-2017, 05:08 AM
Beautiful!

Dual
10-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Congrats on the FSD's. I've been enjoying mine.

joeybananaz18
01-01-2018, 01:08 PM
great looking car. I need to go through my book of all the PO's maintenance records to see exactly when my dampers were changed. Im in need of an alignment after the winter and if the miles call for new dampers ill be ordering a set.

Sailor
02-16-2018, 05:01 PM
I'm delighted to hear you are happy with your choice, as I had about decided on the same FSD/stock combo and really needed to hear someone else's experience with it. Getting ready to put new rubber on the car but figured I'd do the shocks first and maybe bushings. Mine is a country road that isn't real high on the county's surface quality priority list and it will punish an aggressive driver in a lowered car unless the suspension is super firm. I'll be real satisfied with a new-stock feel and relatively mild alignment - no longer any need for the razor's edge by this graybeard.

3ZHPGUY
02-16-2018, 07:06 PM
I’m a little late here and you should be good with the FSDs! I’ve been running the Sports for six or seven years and have been very happy with them. I have the fronts at full firm and the rears in the middle. Roads down here in the south are a lot better and livable with the way I have them set. Would have suggested H&R sports on the Springs. Those would give you about a 1/2” drop. I’m still running the original Springs on mine at 156K.

I do need to check my Sports soon though. Getting old and may need to replace them on lifetime warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phillips0417
05-10-2018, 01:03 PM
This thread has been great! I too am looking to replace the suspension on my ZHP. Same as OP, don't want a rake or too low. Looks like FSD's and stock springs are the way to go. I'd consider the H&R Sports if its a true 1/2" drop and not more. The stock ZHP suspension is very good, but a tiny bit of drop may not be too bad and certainly help the already great handling of the ZHP.

Karl Lazlo
05-06-2019, 11:52 AM
Like "oh I only want two pieces of cooked bacon to pop out of thin air, not 20, but because my magic is adjustable, I can have 20 at a later time that I desire"-type adjustable magic.

What kind of logic is that? Bacon from the sky? I will take all. 2 slices of bacon is "just the tip" and I don't play that game anymore. All Bacon, All The Time. If you tune down your bacon allotment, you're suspect.

ZHPizza
05-06-2019, 05:46 PM
What kind of logic is that? Bacon from the sky? I will take all. 2 slices of bacon is "just the tip" and I don't play that game anymore. All Bacon, All The Time. If you tune down your bacon allotment, you're suspect.Luv u

Karl Lazlo
05-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Luv u

XO

Boris3
06-30-2019, 06:15 AM
I went with Sports and the stock ZHP springs as part of a suspension refresh. Did a 600 mile trip last weekend and all good. Replaced suspension bits that were all original and unsurprisingly completely trashed at 155k. Still am amazed every once in a while at the extent of PO neglect.

Reasoned1
06-30-2019, 11:00 AM
Koni Sports (1/2 turn from full soft) with stock springs here--rides like a cloud on rails (slightly firmer than stock).