PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice soon, need to do suspension but no time to thoroughly research...

Zaks
07-17-2017, 07:38 PM
As title states, I have a few things in need of replacement so I'm going to do a full suspension refresh (at least the major components for now).

I'm overwhelmed with all the info and don't have time to sort through it due to traveling and work, so figured I'd ask a few main questions here.

The most important thing for me is to not lower the car too much, but I would like to lower it a bit. That said, I'm very confused on the lowering with different springs (H&R sport, eibach, etc.) since they list certain numbers but I'm not sure if that's for the ZHP (which is sport suspension I assume?) or regular E46.

So, I'm mainly wondering how much H&R sport springs and Eibach pro-kit will lower the ZHP from stock height? I have a local used set of Koni struts/shocks and eibach prokit springs, so I'm considering that. However, based on what I saw on tirerack, these springs would lower it 1.3 and 1.2 inches, which is fine for the front but would be a bit much for the rear.

As it sits currently, I would like to lower the front around 1.5" and rear around .25-.5". Assuming suspension is old and sagging, the eibach prokit may work well, but I was thinking the H&R sport springs may be the right option for me.

Again, my main concern is figuring out how much each of these springs (or other recommended springs) would lower the ZHP. I can source all the other stuff myself and figure out what I need to do the job properly (mounts, boots, bolts, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Bludsport
07-18-2017, 09:34 PM
The springs don't really matter. If you're going to replace the springs and shocks, just buy a coil-over kit from whomever you choose. The front and the rear height can be adjusted independently, usually from -1" to -2". Install the coil-overs, then use the adjustment wrench that comes with your kit and adjust them until you reach the desired height you want.

Zaks
07-18-2017, 09:44 PM
I appreciate your input but I don't want coilovers and need info on the specific springs I mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John in VA
07-19-2017, 06:24 AM
I'm overwhelmed with all the info and don't have time to sort through it due to traveling and work, so figured I'd ask a few main questions here.
Since you don't have the time to read through all the suspension threads, use the terms H&R, H & R, Eibach pro, or prokit on individual searches (Search box is at the top of each page) to home in on your answer. Good luck!

ELCID86
07-22-2017, 02:30 PM
Since you don't have the time to read through all the suspension threads, use the terms H&R, H & R, Eibach pro, or prokit on individual searches (Search box is at the top of each page) to home in on your answer. Good luck!

+1

thinkpad240
07-23-2017, 05:02 PM
Zaks:

I had the H&R street springs before; it did gave me more of a front drop than the rear(rakish \slant look). If you have the front that low, you will have to slow down for all humps and easy on the dips, so that may slow you down.

I never had the Eibach prokit springs, but from what I read online, the Eibach will be more like the OE sports spring's height (evenly front and rear heights). Like others have said , the H&R front -1.5 inch and rear -.25-.50 inch is for comparison to non-sport OE spring. With the ZHP setup which has the OE sport springs, it's already lowered from the non-sport OE spring by .60 inch(15mm) according to multiple "online documents". I hope this helps. I myself stuck with the current OE springs that was on my car and only replaced the shocks and mounts, recently. I am glad I did.

Vas
07-23-2017, 05:25 PM
I have the h&r sport springs installed on the wife's zhp and really like the ride quality and drop they provide

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Bludsport
08-16-2017, 01:16 PM
I appreciate your input but I don't want coilovers and need info on the specific springs I mentioned.

Sorry, I guess I just had coil overs on my mind since I've had a new set sitting in my dining room for several months now...ha.

Try this:

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E46/catn-ol?q=lowering%20springs