PDA

View Full Version : Vanos issue "detection" with Autologic Computer?

johnrando
04-04-2011, 04:02 PM
I asked my local Indy about a Vanos change (I know it can be a DIY) and he said that he'd check it out with his Autologic Computer, as maybe that's not really the issue. I know that this Indy has a great rep for being straightforward and has been around a long time, but I've never heard of this being "detected by a computer" on any forums. He's the kind of Indy who would say if it didn't need the work after running a test. Any thoughts? What's your take on what an Autologic Computer could provide? John

danewilson77
04-04-2011, 04:05 PM
He may be able to detect something with the timing. IDK.

I have never heard of this....

nk_zhp
04-04-2011, 04:27 PM
What VANOS issue do you suppose you have? The rattle isn't really a VANOS issue by classical standards. So if the rattle is what you are concerned with, I suggest sending him the link to beisan systems site and telling him that that's what you have in mind.

danewilson77
04-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I do not think the rattle is the diagnoseable feature he is speaking to.

johnrando
04-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Was thinking more along the lines of the "loss of power at low RPM" issue, along with the rattle. John

danewilson77
04-04-2011, 04:40 PM
ok....I feel ya.

MrMaico
04-06-2011, 07:54 AM
I know there is a Vanos test that can be done on an M3 but that Vanos is quite a bit different from the one we have. They also have their own set of Vanos issues that can be alot more damaging/costly than ours. Not sure about a test on our cars though.

If you think WE have Vanos issues, read this!......

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=347219

johnrando
04-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Wow. Thanks for the input. Interesting thread.

spencers
04-06-2011, 10:21 AM
There's VANOS monitor readings available in INPA. I think I have a screenshot saved somewhere.

http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/5857/vanos.jpg

BurghJR
05-16-2011, 09:29 AM
My indy shop said the same thing in regards to my VANOS rattle. It did not throw any codes on his Autologic so in that sense there is nothing wrong with the unit. I have a pronounced rattle that has been there since I bought the car with 44k on the clock (now over 80k). The potential for the VANOS seals to wear down and leak in the near future is my main concern. He also thinks the whole Beisan philosophy is a hoax designed to get all the "kids" ranting on the forums...but that's a whole other issue that I try to avoid with him.

On the subject of Autologic programming, he offered to do a custom DME tune using a program sent from the UK for $500 that should boost low-end torque and throttle response. His previous tunes on e46's have "completely transformed" the feel of those cars. If that $500 is really burning a hole in my pocket this summer I might take him up on the offer.

johnrando
05-16-2011, 10:14 AM
AA is offering it's custom tune in a group buy on e46f.c for much less. Results are dependent on the mods you have installed. My indy checked out the Beisan site and said he thought they really knew what they were doing. Go figure.

BurghJR
05-16-2011, 10:32 AM
This just confirms that my indy is a particularly hard-headed guy lol. He is VERY particular about which OE-equivalent brands he will install. Not to mention profoundly against any CDV or clutch mods. Kind of reminds me of the Seinfeld saga of Brad Garrett as the Saab mechanic who takes off with Jerry's car because he's not treating it right. I make sure it is clean inside and out and topped off with 93 before I bring it in.

Next time I am down there I will ask for more detail on the Autologic tune vs. the AA software. May want to wait until I have all my base mods in place...currently stock with BMW performance intake, planning to do pulleys, headers and VANOS seals in the near future. Thanks for the insight.

johnrando
05-16-2011, 12:27 PM
You're welcome. The tune/engine will adapt to mods like pulleys, VANOS. You should put the headers on before the tune. I don't know how long the group buy will last, so you might want to look into it sooner than later. You could probably purchase it sooner then install it later.