PDA

View Full Version : New Guy - Knoxville, TN

nabbasi
09-13-2017, 03:04 PM
Hey guys -

I've been lurking a bit for a few months, and finally pulled the trigger on a 2004 330i in Imola Red/ Alcantara 6MT w/ 129k miles. I picked it up yesterday, and honestly have only had time to out about 15 miles on it (basically a test drive), as I have a 5 day old daughter.

This is my first BMW, but I'm not new to fun or performance oriented cars, or cars with a great community behind them.

My first impression is that it feels a bit more unrefined than I had expected (could be the UUC lightweight flywheel/ clutch kit and loose shifting - gotta get that sorted). More refined than my buddy's E36 M3, but not as refined as my business partner's lightly modified 135i M Sport.
I'm not sure if I'm going to use the ZHP for daily duty yet, but that was the original plan when I started my search, because my current DD gets about 12mpg and costs $65 or so per tank. This is my first 6 cylinder vehicle, and with the exception of my wife's cars the first of my last 4 that isn't a V8.

At this time, my plan is to basically maintain and refresh, with some light modifications if they improve OEM parts. First things on the list are
refreshing the shifter or replacing it, replacing the oil filter housing gasket, getting the front seats refinished and performing some mild paint correction. When the weather clears up, I'll get some pictures up!

-Nadeem

anandoc
09-13-2017, 03:11 PM
Welcome Nadeem! Depending on the car's service history, you might also want to refresh the suspension bushings, ball joints etc. It makes a huge difference on how the car handles. Oh also the cooling system - that thing is a ticking time bomb if it hasn't been addressed already.

nabbasi
09-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Welcome Nadeem! Depending on the car's service history, you might also want to refresh the suspension bushings, ball joints etc. It makes a huge difference on how the car handles. Oh also the cooling system - that thing is a ticking time bomb if it hasn't been addressed already.

Thanks! Cooling was addressed at 100k, motor mounts, tranny mounts, control arm bushings, end links, diff mounts and bushings, dampers/ springs and mounts were all addressed in the last 2k miles. Ball joints look good. Hopefully I can sneak down to the garage and spend some time with it to assess what else it might need.

ELCID86
09-13-2017, 03:31 PM
Congrats and welcome.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

Vas
09-13-2017, 03:49 PM
Imola good choice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Oli77
09-13-2017, 04:34 PM
Welcome and good luck finding time to sneak to garage. Maybe between diaper changes?

danewilson77
09-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Nadeem, welcome.

Sent from my S8+

3ZHPGUY
09-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

san
09-13-2017, 06:04 PM
Welcome

fredo
09-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Welcome. Congrats on the baby ! And the car too. :roundel

nabbasi
09-13-2017, 06:50 PM
Thanks, guys. I gotta admit - two additions to the family in one week was a bit ambitious.

Imola good choice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You know, believe it or not, IR wasn't my first choice, but it really is gorgeous. I was hoping for titanium silver, but the one I was eyeing I let one slip by a few months ago because I hadn't made room in the garage yet.

Welcome and good luck finding time to sneak to garage. Maybe between diaper changes?

I'm quickly finding there's no time BETWEEN diaper changes. I had never changed a diaper in my life until Saturday morning, but I'm pretty sure I'm a certified pro now.

holyc0w
09-13-2017, 07:07 PM
You know, believe it or not, IR wasn't my first choice, but it really is gorgeous. I was hoping for titanium silver, but the one I was eyeing I let one slip by a few months ago because I hadn't made room in the garage yet.

At least you got the cloth seats ;)

BMWCurves
09-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Welcome, Nadeem! Congrats on the newborn and the car!

You'll find the people here are very helpful and a great knowledge resource.

My first impression is that it feels a bit more unrefined than I had expected (could be the UUC lightweight flywheel/ clutch kit and loose shifting - gotta get that sorted). More refined than my buddy's E36 M3, but not as refined as my business partner's lightly modified 135i M Sport.

What about your ZHP feels "unrefined"? The motor, the handling?

I'm not sure if I'm going to use the ZHP for daily duty yet, but that was the original plan when I started my search, because my current DD gets about 12mpg and costs $65 or so per tank. This is my first 6 cylinder vehicle, and with the exception of my wife's cars the first of my last 4 that isn't a V8.

I daily my ZHP and love it. Good blend of performance, daily comfort, and cost. Around hilly Portland I average about 18-21 mpg and costs about $35-40 to fill the tank.

At this time, my plan is to basically maintain and refresh, with some light modifications if they improve OEM parts. First things on the list are refreshing the shifter or replacing it, replacing the oil filter housing gasket, getting the front seats refinished and performing some mild paint correction. When the weather clears up, I'll get some pictures up!

Peter (username: Slater) did a refresh of his shifter linkage and bushings and says it feels much better. I have a UUC short shift kit (SSK) with their dual shear selector rod (DSSR) and I love it, although I admit their customer service was pretty bad.

I haven't had to replace the oil filter housing gasket (OFHG) on mine yet (knock on wood), but when I do I plan to use a Viton gasket from Bav Auto: https://www.bavauto.com/11-42-1-719855v

i_b_bass
09-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Welcome Nadeem and congrats on both the purchase and your newborn!

I am also curious about your thoughts as to why the ZHP feels unrefined in comparison to the 135i M Sport. I spent the last two years in a 128i with a pretty typical (for the E82 chassis) bolt on suspension set up consisting for Koni Yellow struts, Swift Spec R springs, M3 RSFB, Dinan Camber plates, and the M3 front control arm kit.

mikebmooney
09-14-2017, 04:40 AM
Welcome buddy....enjoy the new purchase

nabbasi
09-14-2017, 07:22 AM
Thanks, guys. I think I'm gonna like it here.

What about your ZHP feels "unrefined"? The motor, the handling?

The power and shifting are what feel unrefined. It feels more powerful than it is (which is nice), but the power band isn't as smooth as I would have expected. The handling feels great. It feels like it handles pretty well, but it feels just a little heavier than I'd like (I'm sure I'll get used to that feeling, though).

Peter (username: Slater) did a refresh of his shifter linkage and bushings and says it feels much better. I have a UUC short shift kit (SSK) with their dual shear selector rod (DSSR) and I love it, although I admit their customer service was pretty bad.
These are the exact two things I'm trying to decide between. I replaced bushings and boots in our Miata and it made the shifter feel perfect again. In my mustang, no bushings could fix a bad design, so I went aftermarket, which to date gave me my favorite shift feel ever (very mechanical feeling - it was a company called MGW). The UUC and DSSR look like a great upgrade to give a more confident shift. What made you decide to go that route?

I haven't had to replace the oil filter housing gasket (OFHG) on mine yet (knock on wood), but when I do I plan to use a Viton gasket from Bav Auto: https://www.bavauto.com/11-42-1-719855v I usually stick to OEM, but as common as this seems I don't see why I wouldn't go that route. Thanks for the link.

Welcome Nadeem and congrats on both the purchase and your newborn!

I am also curious about your thoughts as to why the ZHP feels unrefined in comparison to the 135i M Sport. I spent the last two years in a 128i with a pretty typical (for the E82 chassis) bolt on suspension set up consisting for Koni Yellow struts, Swift Spec R springs, M3 RSFB, Dinan Camber plates, and the M3 front control arm kit.

Thanks! The suspension seems fine. It's really in the power and power delivery. And I think the shifter plays a role in it (sloppier than I'm used to/ like).

BMWCurves
09-14-2017, 07:39 AM
The power and shifting are what feel unrefined. It feels more powerful than it is (which is nice), but the power band isn't as smooth as I would have expected. The handling feels great. It feels like it handles pretty well, but it feels just a little heavier than I'd like (I'm sure I'll get used to that feeling, though).

I know I sound like a broken record, but about the power feels unrefined? The M54 engine should be smooth when it's working properly. Does the engine "stumble" at some point along the rev range? There is a pretty common issue of a 4k rpm stumble that has various solutions, but they seem to me to be inconsistent in their ability to solve the issue. Other details would help, the people here know the engine in and out.

These are the exact two things I'm trying to decide between. I replaced bushings and boots in our Miata and it made the shifter feel perfect again. In my mustang, no bushings could fix a bad design, so I went aftermarket, which to date gave me my favorite shift feel ever (very mechanical feeling - it was a company called MGW). The UUC and DSSR look like a great upgrade to give a more confident shift. What made you decide to go that route?

You sound like you're handy enough, so why not replace the bushings and other wear parts first since it's much cheaper, and then decide on the UUC SSK? I opted to go straight to the UUC unit because I wanted a short shifter kit and my father's E39 540i had the UUC kit and I loved that, so I got that shifter. I had some issues with their customer service as I mentioned (sent me the wrong part, denied sending me the wrong part and blamed my mechanic for an improper install, etc.)

I usually stick to OEM, but as common as this seems I don't see why I wouldn't go that route. Thanks for the link.

I hear you, I tend to maintain/modify my car with an "OEM+" approach i.e. use OEM parts unless there are better parts than what BMW designed that will improve performance without sacrificing comfort/sound/longevity, etc. This Viton gasket falls under that OEM+ category for me because it should function the same as a regular OEM part but last much longer.

Thanks! The suspension seems fine. It's really in the power and power delivery. And I think the shifter plays a role in it (sloppier than I'm used to/ like).

I guess this falls under the shifter stuff again, but Peter said his shifter felt very tight with minimal slop after replacing the bushings and such. If that's what you're looking for, that's the best option. I went for a SSK because the stock throws felt so long.

Yelkos
09-14-2017, 08:13 AM
Welcome, Cant wait to see some pics
Congrats on the new family

nabbasi
09-14-2017, 08:40 AM
I know I sound like a broken record, but about the power feels unrefined? The M54 engine should be smooth when it's working properly. Does the engine "stumble" at some point along the rev range? There is a pretty common issue of a 4k rpm stumble that has various solutions, but they seem to me to be inconsistent in their ability to solve the issue. Other details would help, the people here know the engine in and out.

I just did a little research and that 4K rpm stumble / surge is exactly what I'm feeling. And the lightweight flywheel just makes it more noticeable since it seems to get there faster.

You sound like you're handy enough, so why not replace the bushings and other wear parts first since it's much cheaper, and then decide on the UUC SSK?

This is what I'm leaning towards, but...

I went for a SSK because the stock throws felt so long.

I hate doing work twice, and the throws do feel pretty long. I'll probably take care of the other stuff first and re-visit the shifter once I get used to the car.

Thanks for all of your help!

BMWCurves
09-14-2017, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all of your help!

https://i.imgur.com/bx2byn6.gif