PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded OEM bars

nsk040
09-14-2017, 07:01 AM
I went with the 20mm rear bar from the convertible and the 25mm front bar from a Z4 sport package (but not M). Fit was perfect for both. The benefit of this option IMO is that it is very close to the same ratio (F/R) as stock.

Car is slightly more resistant to roll, but I'd say the difference is pretty nominal vs. stock. Most kits (TMS, ECS, etc.) have bigger bars - especially at the front - which would be more noticeable. If you want to improve rotation, maybe consider doing just the rear bar.

Install notes:
Rear - Not too bad, but getting the bar out is a pain. I took the wheels off and pulled the screw out on the top of the end-links. It would also have been helpful to remove the bushings from the bar before pulling the bar out. Having less stuff attached to the bar makes it much easier to pull out. I got the bar out by pulling through the driver side wheel well; didn't have to drop the exhaust.

Front - Much more simple. Just be sure to have a very thin wrench for the sway bar end-links.

BMWCurves
09-14-2017, 07:27 AM
I went with the 20mm rear bar from the convertible and the 25mm front bar from a Z4 sport package (but not M). Fit was perfect for both. The benefit of this option IMO is that it is very close to the same ratio (F/R) as stock.

Car is slightly more resistant to roll, but I'd say the difference is pretty nominal vs. stock. Most kits (TMS, ECS, etc.) have bigger bars - especially at the front - which would be more noticeable. If you want to improve rotation, maybe consider doing just the rear bar.

Install notes:
Rear - Not too bad, but getting the bar out is a pain. I took the wheels off and pulled the screw out on the top of the end-links. It would also have been helpful to remove the bushings from the bar before pulling the bar out. Having less stuff attached to the bar makes it much easier to pull out. I got the bar out by pulling through the driver side wheel well; didn't have to drop the exhaust.

Front - Much more simple. Just be sure to have a very thin wrench for the sway bar end-links.

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about doing a similar change in sway bars if I can find used E46 M3 front and non-M 330Cic rear sway bars.

nsk040
09-14-2017, 07:48 AM
The m3 front bar fits but it is differently shaped at the ends. Since the end links can move around it's not a big deal to install, but it may create binding issues as the suspension travels. I think the Z4M coupe bar would be a good fit if you want bigger.

704sw
09-14-2017, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about doing a similar change in sway bars if I can find used E46 M3 front and non-M 330Cic rear sway bars.

The xi bar is also 20mm (same as the Cic). It's a lot easier to find xi partouts than verts.

The m3 front bar fits but it is differently shaped at the ends. Since the end links can move around it's not a big deal to install, but it may create binding issues as the suspension travels. I think the Z4M coupe bar would be a good fit if you want bigger.

The Z4M bar is the same 27mm as the M3 coupe. Also worth noting the bushings are much more expensive for 27 than the 26mm M3 coupe. Stronger and/or adjustable links should put any concerns to rest, although I don't think it's much of an issue. Several of us here are running M3 front bars.

nsk040
09-15-2017, 09:22 AM
Good call on the xi rear bar. Did you need adjustable links up front for your m3 bar?

I was thinking about the 26 or 27mm options as well. My sense is that these would be a nice enhancement for spirited driving as steering would be more responsive, however at the limit grip would be lower at the front with the larger bars. To maintain the current balance (ratio of front bar to rear bar), I went with the smaller front bar. IMO, doing just the rear and leaving the front stock is also a viable option.

A lot of the stuff I saw on Ebay had bushings included. As a data point, my bushings have 110k on them are they were still mint.